Rise of the Tomb Raider: Microtransactions

It doesn't keep me from playing the game normally and enjoying the story, so I don't care. People will look for any reason to hate on this game because it's not coming to their chosen system first, and this is what they came up with to whine about. Don't like it, just don't buy the game.

I swear, every time someone writes another sanctimonious essay about some aspect of the video game industry they don't like instead of just not buying the game and moving on with life, it makes me want to throw more money at that particular aspect just because I know it'll piss them off.

Edited by damon8r351
  • Like 2

It doesn't keep me from playing the game normally and enjoying the story, so I don't care. People will look for any reason to hate on this game because it's not coming to their chosen system first, and this is what they came up with to whine about. Don't like it, just don't buy the game.

For clarity - I like to think I hate on all AAA games with MTX features equally. Squeenix making this an XBone timed exclusive doesn't particularly bother me - it was a terrible business deal IMO given how thoroughly PS4 is thrashing XBone in the reported sales numbers. But it was their decision to make. If anything, the timed exclusivity an overall boon for PS4 owners IMO because we can read reports and reviews of the game well in advance of actually buying it. 

Also, as I should have made clearer, I'm very interested in the game because I thoroughly enjoyed the story and gameplay in the reboot. But if other things are competing for my attention come autumn 2016, then the fact that this game has MTXs will count against it AFAI am concerned. Plus, I'll have reviews to go on then so...

Edit to deal with your edit: Hardly an "essay" my friend. Feel free to do what you please with your cash. I'll do likewise. ;)

Edited by StrickenBiged
  • Like 2

There is =D Less monezzzz =D

Or, potentially, more moneys. If we pay for good games which are fairly balanced and reward your time and skill as opposed to how much money you're willing to throw at the publisher, and the publisher discovers that these games make more $ than those with MTXs, then those may become the norm again. 

• Like 1

I honestly often don't purchase games when they have micro transactions or lots of DLCs... It really turns me off. They may think about it as losing profit when not including it, but they certainly lose some sales from it too and they get less happy customers in average. I don't see why include micro transactions in games meant to be paid 60USD or similar for.

• Like 1

Kind of game that I won't buy, but get lent by a friend because:

Buying this only makes their plan successful. It's like Spartacus Legends, where leveling to 50 is such a chore that most people end up giving in and buying the 2x exp. I, for one, do not pay for the game and neither for any microtransactions and get my 100% or plat out of games like that. I don't believe there is a better way to tbag devs for doing stupid shit like this.

• Like 1

Again, I would urge you to vote with your wallets people. There are enough AAA games coming in 2016 - PS4's exclusive line-up looks particularly good - so think about whether you want to be rewarding AAA games that include MTXs. I know, it's TR and we all love the franchise, but you could probably live without playing this particular one. Especially when we'll all have U4 to play. At the very least, think about the direction you'll be nudging the industry towards before buying the MTXs. 

I may be wrong on this but I thought microtransactions for Uncharted 4 were already on the PlayStation store. Am I thinking of something else? 

On topic, I couldn't care less about microtransactions as long as they don't interfere with the main game. 

Parker

I may be wrong on this but I thought microtransactions for Uncharted 4 were already on the PlayStation store. Am I thinking of something else? 

On topic, I couldn't care less about microtransactions as long as they don't interfere with the main game. 

Parker

I think that's just the season pass currently on the store

Eh, this could end up being annoying or useless. All depends on how easy it is to earn the cards in-game.

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 had microtransactions, and everyone immediately started complaining. But they were only for life crystals in raid mode, which Capcom made incredibly easy to earn just by playing daily events.

If these cards are easy to earn, then this would be an example of good microtransactions (like Revelations 2). But if they make them difficult on purpose, just to get you to buy them, then they can fuck off.

Oh god-dammit. Really Naughty Dog... really?!

Ahem. Anyway, I hadn't realised that, although I can't find a press release confirming that the in-game currency "Naughty Dog Points" can be bought with microtransactions. Brings the game down in my estimations if it's true. It probably is true, to be fair, otherwise they'd have gone with a more "in game" name for the currency, like "treasures" or some such. 

FML...  :facepalm:

Off topic: When I read Expeditions, I immediately thought it was some sort of coop mode.  How great would a multiplayer coop mode be, complete with platforming segments, gunplay vs AI, exploring... in a game like Tomb Raider or Uncharted.  Uncharted 3 came close with it's coop stuff, but it was more of a Horde mode than what I'm thinking.  Maybe like a race to beat the clock, or to perform the best (most headshots, quickest traversal, etc).  Heavy on the platforming/exploring elements.  Solving puzzles, get to the end before your buddy.

On topic: Maybe I just don't play enough games with "score attack" modes and the sort, or at least I don't play those modes, because I've never really had to deal with microtransactions before and I don't intend to.  Whatever way you look at it though, it only exists to make more money.  It's a greed thing for sure, tough to defend... even for someone as staunchly pro-developer as myself (though let's face it, it's the publisher calling the shots).  They never really improve a game, the best you can hope for is that it doesn't ruin it.

Edited by PleaseHoldOn

Off topic: When I read Expeditions, I immediately thought it was some sort of coop mode.  How great would a multiplayer coop mode be, complete with platforming segments, gunplay vs AI, exploring... in a game like Tomb Raider or Uncharted.  Uncharted 3 came close with it's coop stuff, but it was more of a Horde mode than what I'm thinking.  Maybe like a race to beat the clock, or to perform the best (most headshots, quickest traversal, etc).  Heavy on the platforming/exploring elements.  Solving puzzles, get to the end before your buddy.

They sort of got into this with the Lara Croft: Temple of... games.

But a co-op mode for a full Tomb Raider game would be awesome! I have in my head something similar to Portal 2's co-operative puzzle chambers. Swap the test chambers for tombs, and the portal guns for abseiling, climbing, grappling hooks, etc, and you've got yourself a great design brief! 

No reason it couldn't be nudged back!

They will always try to make more money. If this mdel doesn't work, they won't do it again. If people accept it and give them money... well, it's our own fault.

Didn't we have this conversation not too long ago? ^^

Eh, this could end up being annoying or useless. All depends on how easy it is to earn the cards in-game.

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 had microtransactions, and everyone immediately started complaining. But they were only for life crystals in raid mode, which Capcom made incredibly easy to earn just by playing daily events.

If these cards are easy to earn, then this would be an example of good microtransactions (like Revelations 2). But if they make them difficult on purpose, just to get you to buy them, then they can fuck off.

Ah, I see what they did there. Don't really like that either. Sounds like they are limiting how many you can get per day unless you pay them even more money for a game you already paid a lot of money for... How does that make any sense???

They sort of got into this with the Lara Croft: Temple of... games.

But a co-op mode for a full Tomb Raider game would be awesome! I have in my head something similar to Portal 2's co-operative puzzle chambers. Swap the test chambers for tombs, and the portal guns for abseiling, climbing, grappling hooks, etc, and you've got yourself a great design brief! 

They probably won't ever do that. Not because it's a bad idea, quite the contrary.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

Ah, I see what they did there. Don't really like that either. Sounds like they are limiting how many you can get per day unless you pay them even more money for a game you already paid a lot of money for... How does that make any sense???

Well kind of. The crystals are used to revive yourself if you die in raid mode. You start out with 10, and you can get 3 more every day. The levels are easy enough that I ended up dying maybe 5 times in total. So I didn't even use all 10 starting crystals, plus I had gained like 30 more just by playing every day.

On top of all that, the game was only $20 digital and $40 physical (physical included all the story DLC and costumes).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

these lazy greedy devs, first off they told us the action replay, GameShark and game genie's are just a cheating devices and got rid of them since the 7th generation of gaming consoles, they did this just to make sure they use it them self so they can sell you these codes as a paid DLC's ( new skins, all costumes, infinite ammunition etc.

then double the grinding in games to an insane level but put an option of easing the pain if you pay them real money.

then start cutting their games to pieces and say these parts didn't met the deadline during the development so we still offer you these part's for a small fee.

and now they're getting rid of in game cheat mode to sell them too?

thank good most games will disabled trophies / achievements when a cheat are in the work, but really! are these guys this desperate for extra cash?

what's killing me is that some devs are saying this is the new innovation in gaming.....

I've pre-ordered this game but refuse to spend any more on the transactions - guess i am still part of the problem but i've wanted to play this game since it came out on the  XBONE

We are getting the game patched up, with all the DLC in an anniversary edition (comes with a book i think??) for a decent price - i see no reason to spend any more real life money on it

Who will this work, is it like FIFA UT where you get random packs of cards our buy the cards outright?  Always felt like if you spend the "lara coins" (or whatever stupid name they give them) you would stand less of a change compared to real cash!

Edited by chickenbaltipie

• 2 weeks later...

These microtransactions are a none issue so stop throwing a hiss fit

For one they're not intrusive at all

The game doesn't prompt you to purchase cards with money it prompts you to buy them with in-game credit which you earn for basically everything

Secondly, the microtransactions are limited to mostly single player modes so it's someone prerogative if they use them

Square isn't pushing them at all

Theyre giving away almost 200 cards on release for goodness sake

And you'll earn close to another 500 just going for all the trophies

They were present in the Xbox version too and bothered no-one

They're not needed, they don't give you any real benefit as you can get the same cards via in-game means

Boo bloody hoo, microtransactions

Grow up, enjoy the game, don't enjoy the game

But don't act like this is an absolute atrocity as it isn't

But you are

• Like 1

Microtransactions in full price $60 are bullshit, always have been, always will be.

These microtransactions are a none issue so stop throwing a hiss fit
For one they're not intrusive at all
The game doesn't prompt you to purchase cards with money it prompts you to buy them with in-game credit which you earn for basically everything
Secondly, the microtransactions are limited to mostly single player modes so it's someone prerogative if they use them
Square isn't pushing them at all
Theyre giving away almost 200 cards on release for goodness sake
And you'll earn close to another 500 just going for all the trophies
They were present in the Xbox version too and bothered no-one
They're not needed, they don't give you any real benefit as you can get the same cards via in-game means
Boo bloody hoo, microtransactions
Grow up, enjoy the game, don't enjoy the game
But don't act like this is an absolute atrocity as it isn't
But you are

So.. Squeenix put them just cos they can and don't want to sell any? Please, I'm gonna piss myself lol xD