NBA 2K 16 - Some questions

AffectatiousDonk

So this is my first NBA 2K game and really enjoying it but it is huge.

Have played through the story mode of My Career (which was great despite some laugh out loud silly moments) and now just sort of figuring out what to do next. What I need some help with is the following

1 My character is low skilled should I invest in some VC via micro transactions to level up

2. I am really struggling to score above a C grading in games, is there a guide or something I can read to get better, or will levelling up help this

3. How does the companion app help with the main game

This game seems to have a steep learning curve but I'm hooked so any help would be most appreciated

Never buy the micro-transactions. If grinding is too difficult, it's because they have deliberately skewed the balancing in order to push you into giving them more money. I'd urge you not to fall for it. 

But that's just my opinion. If your progress in the game, and the real world time it would take you to level-up in game is more important to you than the money would be, then that's your choice. It sounds like you enjoyed the game though, so why not extend your play-time by grinding a bit? ;)

Sorry for co-opting your thread for my vendetta against micro-transactions in AAA games. Hopefully someone who knows the game will be along shortly to answer your #'s 2 and 3. 

• Like 2

So this is my first NBA 2K game and really enjoying it but it is huge.

Have played through the story mode of My Career (which was great despite some laugh out loud silly moments) and now just sort of figuring out what to do next. What I need some help with is the following

1 My character is low skilled should I invest in some VC via micro transactions to level up

2. I am really struggling to score above a C grading in games, is there a guide or something I can read to get better, or will levelling up help this

3. How does the companion app help with the main game

This game seems to have a steep learning curve but I'm hooked so any help would be most appreciated

On which difficulty do you play? 12 minutes quarter?

I would say play smart. Pass the ball much but no risky passes. Try only open jumpshots. So just play safe.

What makes your grade fall?

I get an average of B on Hall of Fame and i´m not even good in nba 2k. Hall of Fame because of realism and making it as hard as possible for me. My grade mostly falls if i make a bad screen and get a foul + one turnover or simply make dumb passes.

^^^^ *sigh*

What position are you? I can help you. The app gives you free VC to your main account. You can earn up to 5K VC per day, if you're lucky enough. You'll get at least 1K a day for sure, though.

But you have to play games for that VC .... you get around 400-500 VC for nothing a day. If you´re lucky it can be more. You get 50 VC for playing a quick game of MyTeam Mobile.

Edited by BDRick35

I would say play smart. Pass the ball much but no risky passes. Try only open jumpshots. So just play safe.

I get an average of B on Hall of Fame and i´m not even good in nba 2k. Hall of Fame because of realism and making it as hard as possible for me. My grade mostly falls if i make a bad screen and get a foul + one turnover or simply make dumb passes.

But you have to play games for that VC .... you get around 400-500 VC for nothing a day. If you´re lucky it can be more. You get 50 VC for playing a quick game of MyTeam Mobile.

Well, yeah.  I'd think that would be obvious.  The quick games give you 500 VC, meaning you have to play at least ten of them.  There's a mode where you choose random cards, where you can win up to win 1500 VC (DON'T have to play any games at all).  There's also a section where you predict the winner of the game in the real life NBA schedules that starts in a few weeks.  If you predict the correct winners of the games, you get 50 VC for each game.  So it's very possible you can get at 3K VC a day when the season starts.

Thanks Bdrick.

I am playing 6 min quarters so maybe I should boost it to 12. When I negotiated and resigned at the end of the my career story I only get 10 min game time so maybe it doesn't matter.

Have been passing more which is helping, my shooting is still pretty bad. I seem to be losing alot on the grading when I " leave assignment " (stop marking the player), or turnover that leads to a score (usually from a steal or bad pass).

Managed a B grading last night so will keep working on this.

It is really fun game though so happy to keep grinding away.

Thanks Bdrick.

I am playing 6 min quarters so maybe I should boost it to 12. When I negotiated and resigned at the end of the my career story I only get 10 min game time so maybe it doesn't matter.

Have been passing more which is helping, my shooting is still pretty bad. I seem to be losing alot on the grading when I " leave assignment " (stop marking the player), or turnover that leads to a score (usually from a steal or bad pass).

I usually build my athleticism a bit first, since it's the most expensive to improve.  I'm currently doing historical domination.  Also, try using some pick and roll stuff.  That generally helps for me.  I'm an all-around SG.

There's a mode where you choose random cards, where you can win up to win 1500 VC (DON'T have to play any games at all). So it's very possible you can get at 3K VC a day when the season starts.

It reads 1500 VC but the most i got so far was 625 once. Normally i get like 400-500 VC. Plus the 500 Quickgames makes around 1k a day. 3k seems a bit unrealstic for me. Got 3k VC for qualifying for the playoffs after a Season.

Thanks Bdrick.

The 10 minutes would be your minutes if you play a full game. If im right, you should average five minutes per game then. Never played less than 12 minutes quarters, so i can only guess that.

Try more layups/dunks and take fouls and really just go for jumpshots if you´re wide open. For that "leave assignment" well you just have to play physical. Try to eat your matchup :lol:

I average around 3 turnovers per game. which is not good. <_<

Edited by BDRick35

• 8 months later...

Things that help your team mate grade:  Assists, pass to assist, set screen for score, fast break score, making free throws, good screen, good pass, fill lane correctly, forced pickup, etc.... tons of stuff there to help your grade......besides turnovers, I tend to loose grade points to "defensive breakdown" a lot, and half the time that's bullshit because it changes my guarding assignment at the last second so I get penalized  :/

this is my first nba game since ps1!! and I sucked to start with but learnt along the way... see my previous thread lol now im 3 games from total domination 189/198 stars.... having troble getting the point off east allstars atm tho.. no probs winning but best points is 851 so far as steals r hard and rebounds are few.... Jordan ewing and erving killing it

• 2 weeks later...

this is my first nba game since ps1!! and I sucked to start with but learnt along the way... see my previous thread lol now im 3 games from total domination 189/198 stars.... having troble getting the point off east allstars atm tho.. no probs winning but best points is 851 so far as steals r hard and rebounds are few.... Jordan ewing and erving killing i

I'm also doing Historic Domination at the moment. I find if you have atleast 10 free throw attempts per game you get the percentage you get in back in coins (7 of 10 free throws 70% = 70 coins) also if you can get players to post up and then pass to them and quickly score you will get post move score(+5) and assist(+5) bonuses. Hope they are helpful tips :)

• 1 month later...

The companion app will help you to get VC, if you connect it with PSN, just play 10 quick games daily and you should get 500 VC every day. You can also get a minimum of 325 and max of 1500 VC in a weird card pull game, and you could bet, but with the season over, yust forget that one. There are also some objectives which you can complete.

As for the grades, just try to shoot only wide open jump shots, but if you're wide open, then shoot. Doesn't matter if you miss, if you're open, you can get good shot selection. Try to grab rebounds as much as you can (only defensive, as you'll get boxed out a lot more often which would result in a over the back foul of you'd try anyway) and rack up assists by passing it to another player with shot clock at 3, or just ask pick and rolls. Screens help as well, but stand still as you screen, or else it would be a turnover and foul.

Grades don't matter that much, i'm a 67 ovr and league leader in scoring and assists, just play smart and you'll do fine.