Until Dawn 2 is on the way!? Supermassive Games talks about a sequel

Finozzi1696

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2015/10/09/supermassive-games-until-dawn-2-being-discussed-sales-surpassed-expectations/#/slide/1

Supermassive Games: Until Dawn Sales “Surpassed Expectations,” Already Talking Internally About a Sequel

Debuting in 7th in the United States for all of August 2015, and finishing in 2nd in the UK during its launch week, PlayStation 4 exclusive Until Dawn has surpassed sales expectations, Executive Producer Pete Samuels told us in an exclusive interview:

As for what’s next from Supermassive Games, they’re already working on something that builds on what they did with Until Dawn:

PlayStation LifeStyle: How is Until Dawn doing sales wise? Is it performing as expected? Better? We saw it do well in sales data, which a lot of people were surprised with.

It’s definitely surpassed expectations. I think that’s already been stated in other interviews, and reports of significant retail outlets running out of stock during the first weeks after release kind of supports that.

PSLS: What should we expect from Supermassive next? Any new games in the same genre or completely different/new projects? Is Until Dawn 2 being considered at all or is it too early?  

I think that you should expect the team to build on what we’ve done with Until Dawn, whether it’s in horror or in other genres. We’re already working on one thing that does that, whilst exploring other avenues for our other teams in anticipation of them finishing their current projects. We do talk internally about what Until Dawn 2 could be, as it clearly can’t be a sequel in the traditional sense, with the same characters facing the same threat, not least of which because in different stories some or all of them are already dead! We’ve investigated other ways we could do Until Dawn 2 but it probably is a little early to be discussing that.

Interesting.  I wouldn't mind seeing what they can do with a more emotionally driven narrative... rather than going the "cliche for the sake of cliche" slasher flick route.  An interactive drama, if you will.

But in the same "your decisions actually have consequences" vein as Until Dawn, since they seem quite good at it.

Edited by PleaseHoldOn

Great to hear that their expectations were surpassed. I haven't played Until Dawn yet, but I've seen a play through of the entire game, and it looks excellent. Looking forward to what the studio does in the future, be it a sequel or otherwise.

Edited by StormRacer872

Interesting.  I wouldn't mind seeing what they can do with a more emotionally driven narrative... rather than going the "cliche for the sake of cliche" slasher flick route.  An interactive drama, if you will.

But in the same "your decisions actually have consequences" vein as Until Dawn, since they seem quite good at it.

The whole game was supposed to be an homage to many teen horror movies, that's why it was full of cliches and stuff.

I really hope for a sequel with different cast and setting!  :)

What do you mean by emotionally driven narrative btw??? Do you mean like the David Cage games?

Considering I absolutely love Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls... I'd absolutely love more games of their ilk.  Sure. :)  Though frankly, I enjoy a good game that brings the feels regardless of genre or who made them.

That being said, I think Supermassive could use what they learned from Until Dawn to make something like that, but with their more functional brand of "butterfly effect" choice and consequence system.

Edited by PleaseHoldOn

Considering I absolutely love Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls... I'd absolutely love more games of their ilk.  Sure. :)  Though frankly, I enjoy a good game that brings the feels regardless of genre or who made them.

That being said, I think Supermassive could use what they learned from Until Dawn to make something like that, but with their more functional brand of "butterfly effect" choice and consequence system.

I wouldn't say those are "emotional", it's like one emotion, and usually pretty crazy plots with plenty of holes and misunderstandings about how things are operated. IMO, they're fun to play for many of the same reasons as Until Dawn is fun to play.

I personally would like to see them make a similar game to what they already did. Perhaps still have some tropes, but do some twists and make it more scary. :P

I wouldn't say those are "emotional", it's like one emotion, and usually pretty crazy plots with plenty of holes and misunderstandings about how things are operated.

*sigh*  Like I didn't see this coming.  Who gives a shit?

This topic isn't about David Cage, I just gave my two cents about what I'd like to see in Supermassive's next game.  Especially if they are open to other genre's than horror.

Edited by PleaseHoldOn

*sigh*  Like I didn't see this coming.  Who gives a shit?

This topic isn't about David Cage, I just gave my two cents about what I'd like to see in Supermassive's next game.  Especially if they are open to other genre's than horror.

Well, you're the one who wanted them to make games like David Cage. I just connected the dots when you said "emotional" character driven. :P Now we all know what you mean, and I'd find it very funny if they did something like what David Cage do, especially like Indigo Fahrenheit/Prophecy, and took it even further with the typical David Cage tropes. ;) I also don't think this was just meant to be horror, but also a bit comedy and nostalgia etc.

Edited by MMDE

Well, you're the one who wanted them to make games like David Cage.

I'd like to see them to make a game with an emotional narrative, whether it's like one of David Cage's works.  Whether it's like Telltale's The Walking Dead.  Whether it's like DONTNOD's Life Is Strange.  That's the kind of game I like.  I'd like to see more of it, and Until Dawn fit the bill outside of the fact I cared about the characters about as much as I care about the characters in most slasher flicks... not very much.  I'd like to see them take their talents to another genre other than horror, especially since they seem open to it.

I didn't post that for someone like yourself to dissect it and spread their tired (and I mean TIRED) rhetoric about how "overrated" David Cage is.  Though I truly, truly knew someone would.  They always do.

Edited by PleaseHoldOn
  • Like 1

I didn't post that for someone like yourself to dissect it and spread their tired (and I mean TIRED) rhetoric about how "overrated" David Cage is.  Though I truly, truly knew someone would.  They always do.

lol, and I didn't try to spread any tired rhetoric about how overrated David Cage is. I don't think he is overrated. I think/hope most people see the games for what they are. I think the games are just fine, and while perhaps not good for the reasons David Cage would want them to be, it's none the less good. :)

What I did however react to was the word "emotion". I kept hearing David Cage saying the word "emotion" in my head. xD

• Like 1

I think/hope most people see the games for what they are. I think the games are just fine, and while perhaps not good for the reasons David Cage would want them to be, it's none the less good. :)

Well, if your hope was to "educate" me on why his games aren't emotional, you've failed miserably.  All you've done is made me dislike you for being yet another person to challenge my interest in the games completely unprovoked. xD

Edited by PleaseHoldOn

I agree. An interactive drama in the style of Until Dawn sounds really cool, wouldn't mind shedding some manly tears :D

I don't want to get into the fight, and I LOVE Quantic Dreams games (waiting for the PS4 version of Beyond to finally play it), but one thing that many people who likes or don't like QD's games loved about Until Dawn is that it doesn't take itself too seriously like David Cage's games (or the new Telltale's games/Life is Strange), I don't agree or disagree with them because (I repeat) I love QD's games but to give more diversity to the genre is best for Supermassive Games to continue not taking their games seriously and focusing on making homage/references/parodies about other movies like what UD was all about and don't try to be realistic or anything, that's why I think it got so much attention. Meanwhile we can still get David Cage's new emotionally-driven games and everybody will be happy! 

That's just my opinion. :)

I don't want to get into the fight, and I LOVE Quantic Dreams games (waiting for the PS4 version of Beyond to finally play it), but one thing that many people who likes or don't like QD's games loved about Until Dawn is that it doesn't take itself too seriously like David Cage's games (or the new Telltale's games/Life is Strange), I don't agree or disagree with them because (I repeat) I love QD's games but to give more diversity to the genre is best for Supermassive Games to continue not taking their games seriously and focusing on making homage/references/parodies about other movies like what UD was all about and don't try to be realistic or anything, that's why I think it got so much attention. Meanwhile we can still get David Cage's new emotionally-driven games and everybody will be happy! 

That's just my opinion. :)

'Sall good.  I see where you're coming from... but I love me some serious games, so I still think more the merrier. ;)

'Sall good.  I see where you're coming from... but I love me some serious games, so I still think more the merrier. ;)

That's fine, at least in here you can get real critics about the game, not like in other non-PlayStation forums where 99% of the [jealous] critics the game may get are because it's a PS4 exclusive game.