Planning to get Bioshock and wonders if all games have a connection?

liwenborg

So finally I've decided to get this franchise after I've seen so much content about it for years and people telling me that they are worthy Naughty Dogs games.

Anyhow my simple question follows: Does Bioshock Infinite have anything to do with Bioshock 1&2? And should I play them in the correct order to not screw the experience from a story perspective? I'm just wondering since Infinite is the one that had my interest the most and was planning to start with it. 

Edited by Liwenborg

2 has nothing to do with anything, and it's pretty much the worst in the series. Still fun, but nothing compared to 1 and Infinite having such an immersive level design and mindblowing stories. All that really matters is that you play 1, Infinite, and the Burial at Sea DLC to understand everything. But yes, they're "Naughty Dog" like masterpieces even though they're not made by Naughty Dog.

There is always a Lighthouse, there is always a Man :)

But I would suggest playing 1 and then Infinite and the Infinite Burial at Sea. I think that will be the best experience and from what I hear you can just skip 2 entirely as 1 ends perfectly and from what I hear 2 is an unnecessary sequel

You don't really have to play them in order, as each story is fairly self contained. You'll definitely have the best experience with the series if you play the original first, because Infinite ties into the setting of the original Bioshock, and I can't imagine someone thinking the tie-in was very significant if they hadn't played the original, but there aren't really any big spoilers from the first game in Infinite or anything.

You can ignore 2 though. In addition to being bad, it's full of glitches. I couldn't even finish the game, because it kept freezing.

But...Naughty Dog don't make Bioshock...

I know they didnt. 

You don't really have to play them in order, as each story is fairly self contained. You'll definitely have the best experience with the series if you play the original first, because Infinite ties into the setting of the original Bioshock, and I can't imagine someone thinking the tie-in was very significant if they hadn't played the original, but there aren't really any big spoilers from the first game in Infinite or anything.

You can ignore 2 though. In addition to being bad, it's full of glitches. I couldn't even finish the game, because it kept freezing.

Whats up with all the hate on 2? It got decent score from reviews :P 

I thought Bioshock 2 was a good game and worth playing but it just doesn't have the same unique feeling that the original and Infinite had. 2 is your typical throwaway sequel that just updates the graphics and makes a few minor tweaks, but doesn't really make any significant contribution to the game or story. As other people have said, Ken Levine and Irrational Games made the original and Infinite while an entirely different team made Bioshock 2. It was actually being developed at the same time as Infinite so the story really doesn't have anything to do with the other 2 games. Plus, it is the only game that has MP which was totally unnecessary. It's still worth playing but it isn't needed to understand the story at all.

I agree with what most people said. If you are really looking forward to playing Infinite and want the best order to understand the story, you can go ahead and play 1 then Infinite while saving 2 for last. Of course you could just play them in release order, not like it would hurt anything. If you enjoy the original, you should definitely play 2 at some point. It plays very similar and is in the same setting. Just doesn't make any significant upgrades and the story wasn't as good as the other 2 games in my opinion.

Edited by MStalker58
  • Like 1

Pretty much what everyone else said. Play 1, skip 2, play Infinite, play the Burial at Sea DLC for Infinite. 2 is alright, but it has no story relation to Infinite. It's more of an unnecessary DLC to Bioshock 1. You can play it after you finish everything else, but it's not important. 

Because reviews don't mean anything. They're paid by the developers to review games, and some reviewers take extra money and/or other incentives in return for a good review. Reviewers also aren't always given the same build of the game everyone else gets. Reviews are also sometimes done at special reviewing events, which are controlled environments where the developer can influence how the game is played, and how much the reviewer will enjoy it. Let's also not forget that reviews are just one person's opinion. The only people in the world who like a game could be the people who review it. Everyone else could hate it. Reviews don't matter.

• Like 1

I'd play them all.   B2 might not have the impact of the others, but I had fun with it, no glitches as far as I can remember either...it's decent.   B1 & 3 are the stars but B2 has it's moments and although I haven't played it myself, I have heard that the Minerva's Den dlc is very good...   They're all good games, and I would play them in order tbh, a bit like the main franchise in B1, a spin-off for B2, and back to the meat for B3, but whatever order is desired, I just wouldn't be so quick to write off B2, as I said, decent game.

I'm in the same boat as the OP.  I did Bioshock 2's MP trophies sometime last year, although I haven't touched the campaign in any of the games yet.  I have 1 and 2 currently sitting on my HDD waiting to be fully installed, and although I could probably have platted 2 by now, I'd prefer to play 1 first, for obvious reasons.  If I like these games enough, then I can also redownload Infinite if I am so inclined.  I always managed to find something else to play that seemed to take priority, but now with the upcoming Platinum Rain Day event on this site, I could maybe squeeze in Bioshock 1 this year, as I understand it's a fairly quick platinum?

Bioshock 1 and 2 have some conection I like both the horror enviromental but the story of the 2 is an bit eh.. average but both their ending are completed S#$% but Infinity sadly didnt have the horror what build the first 2 game but the enviroment is so BEAUTIFUL and charming your spend alot of time exploring Colobia I still didnt finish that one yet but the weapon mecanic is only 2 weapon only isnt an probleme but in the Final level that is gona be an Nightmare oh and I recomend play on Hard on this one

Bioshock 2 isn't a bad game by any stretch, it simply isn't as good as Bioshock 1 and Infinite. In the timeline this game has place years after the events of both other games.

Infinite is the first in the timeline but if you play that one first you'll be spoiled to no end about the plot of Bio1. I suggest you play Bio1 first, Infinite serves as a complement to Bio1 but I advise you to get the Burial at Sea episodes to get the full experience. Trust me you'll want to know what happens in this dlc.  ^_^

As a trophy hunter perspective you'll probably have the most trouble in Bio2's multiplayer. It's not hard but it will take some time to grind it to level 50 but other than that you should be ok with the 100% completion.

As someone who played every Bioshock game I have to tell you that you'll have a pretty good time in here, for me this series is one of the best experiences I've ever had in gaming. :)