My PS3 smells burnt

MarsipanRumpan

Hey guys. So I played Uncharted 2 a week back, and after playing for around 2 hours or so I went to get a glass of water, I pass the TV and Playstation(s) everytime I go to the kitchen, and when I passed the TV it kind of smelled like burnt, warm plastic or something like that, but it was a weak smell you could barely feel it.
I went towards the PS3 with my face to smell and it smelled even more burnt around the PS3, so it wasn't the TV.

I didn't think about it too much because I had like 5 minutes left until I had the platinum. I got it and turned it off. 
I today started playing Deadpool and I played for maybe 1 - 2 hours I'd say, and I went toward the PS3 before I was going to shut it off and it smelled absolutely burnt again. Exactly as much as the last time.
Its not my TV and its not one of my other Playstation because I smelled my PS4 earlier when I played Rocket League wich I had on for 9 hours straight or so. Same with the TV.

My PS3 is doing okay, it sounds like normal and plays like normal. I haven't had any issues with it yet and I bought it new around Winter 2011.
Do anyone know what this problem could be? I recently was reading on Kotaku and saw how much dust it could be inside a PS3 and I kind of figured it could be I have a shit ton of dust in the system, because Im going to be honest, my room is dusty as shit.

Edit: I have played my PS3 around 16 hours straight once at most without this occuring. Its new as of now.

The system is Playstation 3 Slim 320GB if it is of any importance. 

Thank you all! :)

Edited by MarsipanRumpan

I had this happen on my old ps3 before it died and on an old pc few years back. On my pc the motherboard was scorched because of all the dust inside it. Didn't die right away when first smelled it but it did eventually. 

I recommend checking amazon or ebay for something like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0072A4GQK?keywords=playstation%203%20fan%20stand&qid=1444685756&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1 . Even if its unrelated incident, if your room is dusty it will make it harder on the machine to stay cool with all of the dust inside it. 

The model in the pic was the same one I had when it died, I could have used something like this.  

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZAV2KC0?keywords=playstation%203%20fan%20stand&qid=1444685756&ref_=sr_1_3&sr=8-3 This is what I currently have for my ps4 just in case I need it because some of the games make it run loud. 

Thanks for the help. I'll look into it for sure as it quite worries me. :S

I have been playing it regulary for a while now, I played Vita and Rocket League for a week and started playing again..

From my personal experience, leaving the PS3 for long periods of time - such as a week - gives time for dust to build up and I usually leave mine running to clear out the dust ect. So to me, your burning smell would just be the dust clearing up.

• 2 months later...