MGS4 Vs MGSV.

What're your thoughts on MGSV? I personally hate this game as a Metal Gear Solid game, there is hardly any story to follow. Some of you might think of me as a hypocrite who criticized MGS4 for having alot of cutscenes but lemme assure you, that is not true. I actually liked MGS4 for having lots of cutscenes....and that was the perfect conclusion to this legendary saga. From the start I was skeptical about the concept of making another MGS after MGS4, Peace Walker was surprisingly good and I started to have faith in V, but from the moment Kojima announced how many cutscenes this game will have...you could say ever since then my hype for V was officially reduced to ashes. 

My favorites are and always will be Snake Eater & Sons Of Liberty, MGS4 was a masterpiece as well, pretty much every Metal Gear game was a masterpiece, I think Phantom Pain is a disgrace to everything Metal Gear stands for, it mustn't be allowed to exist. The open world is pointless and terrible, this is Metal Gear Solid NOT GTA, MGS is NOT suppose to be open world, I feared this kind of structure would never work for a Metal Gear game. 

I'd like to know what you guys think about TPP. 

Oh and if you plan to post spoilers then atleast write "Spoiler Alert" and leave atleast 10 blank lines after the sentence, I plan to keep this conversation friendly for every player. 

• Like 1

I choose 5 over 4, the freedom to do anything was just so awesome and I'm glad that the producers of MGS5 were open to that idea. The story is clearly incomplete if you watch the bonus and lost (Not really lost, just wasn't added in) footage, asides from that the story was pretty top notch and the only game I played that could top it at the moment is TW3. The development of characters was really touching, the music in certain chapters hit you in the feels and the graphics are pretty decent.

Why does it need to be a competition between two amazing games to decide which one is better ..... personally I loved both games and enjoyed the freedom that V allows you to have towards your approach to each mission. Allowing the player to have more freedom during a game is always a good thing to have, and it worked really well in V as there is a lot of content for the player to experience :)

What're your thoughts on MGSV? I personally hate this game as a Metal Gear Solid game, there is hardly any story to follow. Some of you might think of me as a hypocrite who criticized MGS4 for having alot of cutscenes but lemme assure you, that is not true. I actually liked MGS4 for having lots of cutscenes....

I just got to play Phantom Pain recently, so I can't make full comments yet. BUT...I think you can criticize the delivery of story in MGS4, as well as the story in MGSV. I hated the glut of cutscenes in MGS4, not because I hated the story, but because it was a lousy, unimaginative way to deliver the story. 

I have generally enjoyed MGSV in my (very limited) exposure, however. I really enjoy the fact that I have more freedom to do my thing. 

• Like 1

MGSV had the better gameplay (though I wish the camo system from MGS3 was back, or even the OctoCamo could be made at a high R&D level) but 4 had the better story by a longshot imo, and I really wanted V's ending to have the same impact as 4's did.

• Like 1

Although I love the classic MGS play, and i still play 5 in complete stealth, you gotta love the freedom it gives you!

That's what's important here, you are not OBLIGED to play any given way... Wanna stealth it? Please do... Wanna fuck shit up? Here, have a rocket launcher... and so on.

I do agree that storywise it's a little lacking, but then again when there's so much shit to do in that open world, who wants to watch a movie, just gimme some gear and let me go to town :P

I do love this game...

I miss the impact that mGS4 made into me especially into the final Act (microwave , Liquid battle, Ending) . Those cutscenes even if too long were a bless to watch and still now i tend to watch various cutscenes from the series most from MGS 3 and 4 jst to bring up the nostalgia.

MGS v , on the other hand, offers a great gameplay and freedom to the table like never before in the series but i really miss my awesome custscenes and codec talks  :(

Big Boss doesn't talk much and that is a let down , it's like is turning into a silent protagonist which you can portay to be yourself into the action. i don't like that kind of treatment.

• Like 1

Hard to really compare them, even if they are both MGS games. MGS4 is more of a linear, story driven experience while MGSV is an open-world mission based experience with the story mostly told in the background.

That being said, I spent more time with MGSV (94 hours in little over a month) so I'm gonna go with MGSV if I have to choose.

I agree, in terms of gameplay TPP is definitely superior, I've played TPP for about 160 hours and the gameplay is easily the best in the series. But in my eyes, story matters the most for a Metal Gear game, if this was a completely new IP then it might have been a masterpiece but this is a Metal Gear game. All previous entries are known to have incredible story telling and amazing voice acting. TPP forces you to listen to garbage cassette tapes, also I hate all the false advertising they did for this game. 

All the recorded lines sounded amazing in the trailer until you discovered the heart breaking truth......all those lines were in the tapes. 

TPP's story has no impact on the player, there were only 3 moments in the entire game where the game actually had impact on me. 

But I still don't understand all the hate towards MGS4, did people really hate all those cutscenes that much? I actually wanted TPP to have more cutscenes rather than just make you listen to cassette tapes, in my 160 hours worth of play time I still haven't listened to all the cassette tapes mostly because they are boring as hell to go through. 

And the torture scenes were disappointing too, there were only two or three huey torture scenes (maybe) and the rest were done on garbage tapes. 

Remember guys this is Metal Gear, Metal Gear is known for its stories not for its gameplay, if this game really is popular for its gameplay then I wouldn't call it a Metal Gear game. Its just Far Cry with Metal Gear characters thrown into the mix. 

Wherever Kojima goes next I think his next game should return to its roots

the 400 hours that i have played MGSV since release tell me that this is THE BEST GAME EVER MADE. Who needs 30 hours of cutscenes? Not me. The story was lacking? Gameplay more then makes up for this. If i wanted a story, i'd go buy a book.

Edited by Pengz88
  • Like 1

Remember guys this is Metal Gear, Metal Gear is known for its stories not for its gameplay, if this game really is popular for its gameplay then I wouldn't call it a Metal Gear game. Its just Far Cry with Metal Gear characters thrown into the mix. 

Wherever Kojima goes next I think his next game should return to its roots

I wouldn't really go as far as say that story is the only thing. Metal Gear Solid 3 is highly regarded because of it's creative boss fights, the camo and healing system, and how thought out the stealth stuff was. Like when you blew up an ammo or food storage building the guards would have less bullets and have bad aim. As well as a lot of other "developers thought of everything" details that you can mess around with. Those are the things I felt MGSV lacked, especially the boss fights. I feel like there could have been more than The Skulls and Man on Fire when it came to the more supernatural bosses.

Though yes I also didn't like the tapes. I understood them in Peace Walker because it was a PSP game, but MGSV had the most funding if I remember right. Then again a lot of stuff did get taken out. Even then during the cutscenes I got sick of seeing that lens-flare effect. It's like Kojima took tips from J.J. Abrams when it came to the cutscene effects.

Like 90% of the main missions on TPP are about rescuing some random people, it seems they couldn't think of anything else to fill the world of the game and just put these filler missions everywhere. It felt so boring that I couldn't even do the secondary objectives and Side Ops.

• Like 1

They both have a lot of flaws in terms of story. MGS4 retconned Meryl's death, it retconned a lot of things that made MGS2 great, and not only did it give an identity to The Patriots (which took away their mystique) but it also patched the story together by making the FOX Unit, EVA, Ocelot and Big Boss the original Patriots with no build up whatsoever. Nanomachines were also abused when explaining things. MGSV, on the other hand, has terrible pacing issues, a lot of wasted characters (Volgin, Mantis, Skull Face, etc), a Revolver Ocelot that doesn't even act like Ocelot, and important story developments in tapes that should have been cutscenes. I like the story V attempted to tell, but the execution was choppy. 

They both have a lot of great moments in terms of story as well. MGS4 has some of the most iconic scenes in the entire franchise, great characters, excellent pacing, good story (when you get around its issues), satisfying conclusion (again, when you get around its issues), and the game overall is a lot more enjoyable now that PW, GZ and TPP shed more light on Big Boss's relationship with Zero and The Patriots. Aside from this, MGSV also gives a deeper explanation to Zero's condition in future games, it explains and solves a certain timeline issue, it portrays a very deceptive Big Boss (which is important for future games), and it explains how Kaz ended up leaving Big Boss and working with Solid (which is a pretty big deal and connects really well into MG2: Solid Snake). There are obviously more things these games did well in terms of story, but this is all from the top of my head. 

TL:DR 

They're both very flawed but they both have a lot to love. No game is perfect.....well, maybe MGS2 is, but that's just my opinion.

The Phantom Pain is hands down the superior game.

Guns of The Patriots has a more memorable ending but the gameplay is seriously lacking compared with other games in this series.

Personally I prefer playing the game, than watching hours of (mostly) garbage cutscenes telling Me everything about nanomachines.

MGS4 had the superior story + cutscenes (obviously). MGS5 has the superior gameplay, in pretty much every aspect of the game. The big piece of MGS5 that is missing for me is the soundtrack. MGS4 had some great works of art, particularly the Old Snake theme. For games that strive for emotional investment, the soundtrack is a huge component. And I feel that MGS5 is lacking in that department. 

MGS4 beats out MGSV IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I had a blast playing MGSV and years down the road I'm sure I'll look back on it with nostalgia from many great moments in the game. I think it's a great game but I think it could've been an AMAZING game had they done many things different, such as keeping the traditional MGS style of storytelling from past games, codec convos, good boss fights.. like, seriously the only one that was memorable was the Metal Gear fight at the end. The Quiet fight was ok but MGS3 already did it better with The End. The dialogue was a lot less than usual and it was really off putting. At times, it didn't even feel like Metal Gear, but of course there were many more moments where it defintely felt like Metal Gear, lol. Would've also been nice if all the cut content had been in the game. The game definitely felt unfinished and/or rushed, to me. They also could've made the open world feel more alive and given us more varied areas to travel to besides just Afghanistan & Africa. Underused characters. And of course my biggest gripe about the game...

I hated the freaking twist at the end. Up to that point the story was already not living up to my expectations gathered from the trailers but THEN on top of all of that, I find out I was never playing as Big Boss. BB didn't experience anything that happened in the game. Well except for the events in AWAKENING. Nope I find out I've been playing as some dude who is apparently BB'S "best soldier" yet I had never heard of him before and he can somehow do anything the legendary Big Boss can do. Memory transplant or not, that just seemed really stupid to me. Personally, I would've preferred we gotten what was advertised. The downfall of BB. I would rather have had BB go through the events of TPP, we see his descent and then because of his actions during the game, he has to go into hiding because the world was out to get him and THEN we find out about his plan to have a Phantom pose as him while he builds his nation. But hey, that's just me.

Oh & I'm gonna go ahead and say I still would've rather had Hayter as BB. That's right, come @ me, lol. I don't give a crap about Kiefer honestly. Never seen his work so I'm not a fan. He was much better in TPP than he was in GZ but he still didn't feel like Big Boss to me. Or if not Hayter, Richard Doyle would've been my choice. Dude hit it out of the park as BB in 4. Would've been great if he had been BB's VA from the start but I grew up with Hayter so he's still my preferred choice. 

On the gameplay front however, MGSV delivers tenfold. so much freedom and yet it still felt like classic MGS stealth. But I will say it did get a tad bit repetitive as my time with the game was winding down but still, the gameplay was excellent. I definitely have to say the best gameplay out of all the games.

BUT as good as the gameplay was in V, MGS4 still wins IMO. MGS games always have great gameplay but the big draw for me is always the story. MGS4 although way too linear at times, also had fantastic gameplay but it's MGS4's story that is enough to beat out MGSV. MGS4's story was so well thought out and concludes so many different things. It tugged at our nostalgia and memories of the games that preceeded it at every turn. It hit you hard in the feels and left you feeling impacted by the events that were unfolding on screen. It's story seemed so focused while V's story felt disjointed & all over the place. That is why V Will never beat MGS4 for me. Then if you add the great gameplay from 4, it beats V 100 times over.

4 definitely had it's flaws but they were very few compared to MGSV's flaws. 4 felt like what an MGS game should be to me. 

So, yea, that's my 2 cents.

Edited by youthCAT1590
  • Like 1

For me it breaks down like this, my favorite MGS games are 2, 4 and V, in no particular order.

Sons of Liberty is the perfect evolution in gameplay from the first game. The additions of the tranquilizer pistol was revolutionary. On top of that, there are many other little things that compliment the foundation of the game. Hiding bodies inside lockers, guards noticing shadows, guards using their radios which can also be taken out by the player, standing on your tip toes or leaning left and right while aiming in first persons, hanging over ledges. It is very much Metal Gear Solid v2.0.

Guns of the Patriots is the culmination of all the games before it with even more additions that give the player more choices and ultimately more freedom to tackle each area in the game. Sneaking through an active battle between two seperate groups while you perform as the third party capable of aiding either force, potentially making your infiltration easier or even more difficult never gets old to me. A wide variety of weapons, customization for the first time, octocamo, perfectly fluid third person controls make the game endless entertaining.

The Phantom Pain is a whole new beast providing even more freedom to the player, and the ability to just pick it up and play any mission whenever you like, a huge change from the more linear beginning-middle-end of the other games up to this point. Being able to drop into Afghanistan or Africa and spend nearly as much time as a MGS4 speed run would take you, maybe even more, is also endlessly entertaining. I get the feeling the style of this game was something Kojima had always envisioned but wasn't able to achieve until now.

I've always been a huge fan of the story in these games, but the biggest thing for me was always that they were so damn fun.

Guns of the Patriots may be my personal favorite but I love that whenever I want, I can fire up The Phantom Pain and play for as long or as little as I want and do any mission I please.