MGS4 Vs MGSV.

The two games are as different as they can come, asking people which one they prefer isn't doing either of them justice. Both strived for different things and both suceeded to a great degree. I'd say MGSV did a better job at creating fun gameplay than MGS4 did at creating an egaging story but again this whole comparison is pointless as a comparison in quality.

Both games are amazing in their own right. To stick with the topic, I would choose MGS4 over MGSV.

I didn't mind the cutscenes in 4 since it was the finale and tries to tie things up. I wanted to learn more about the Patriots and everyone else. An area where MGSV beats MGS4 for is in the gameplay obviously, since it had many improvements. Still, I like to listen to my ipod while I'm inch-worming in Act 2. However, V was short on the memorable moments the franchise is known for. C'mon, the Rex Vs Ray fight, microwave scene, and SPOILERS... The return of Big Boss. Hell, seven years later and its still looking great. The Phantom Pain had some moments that I don't want to spoil for those who're still playing it. But most of us can agree that it had a shallow story. I felt that about 85-90% of the story was filler with some repetitive missions. Skull Face was a cool, yet weak villain, which is sad since I took a liking to him after Ground Zeroes. And let's not get into the micro-transactions implemented. On the other hand, the presentation is impressive. The Fox Engine does a terrific job with the visuals and the soundtrack is filled with amazing tracks.

In the end, it's a matter of choice. I still think that MGS4 is superior Metal Gear game compared to TTP. Everyone is entitled to their opinions so that's that.

Edited by NullRay85

• 4 months later...

It's true that the story felt weak, not only because of the game's small number of cutscenes, but also because these cutscenes were pretty much all used in the trailers. Gameplay wise though, I think it's perfect. I have never seen an infiltration game or even an open-world game with that level of polish (I would compare it to Nintendo polish but that's my opinion). Anything you want to do is doable.

And come on, the game isn't repetitive. With that level of freedom, it's impossible. You just have to find different ways to play, the game was designed around the idea of changing your approach.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The story in 4 is an absolute masterpiece, and far outshines the story across both parts of 5 combined. And I agree that MGS is an extremely story driven series, and therefore that does set 4 up high. But it's too hard to overlook the extreme amount of pure content in TPP. It might not be "as good an MGS game" but to me it is the superior experience as it is such a solid, well rounded game. Even with the introduction of stupid microtransactions.