Thoughts on the game? Worth £14.99?

I've only seen this game here and there before I had my PS4 so I never bothered to look into it.

Now I finally have a PS4 I decided to check it out in game, which it's £14.99 in there. The trophy list is also a simple PSN game/no Platinum that I can see even though it's retail and a relatively pricey one at that.

But I've also heard nothing of this game, NOTHING at all.

So... Worth this price or nah? What would you give the game out of 10? Did you enjoy it for what it is? Is it short?

Really fun game if you enjoy platformers and the colours were really vibrant which made it fun to look at and play. It's pretty easy and pretty short. It's also on sale quite often I think, got my copy on sale so I'd wait till it is. I would say £15 is pushing it a bit tbh

• 2 months later...

As a massive fan of 3D platformers, I hated it. 

I don't know who thought it was a good idea to not let you jump autonomously in a fucking platformer, but I want to meet them and punch them. It's also incredibly linear which is a cardinal sin and cheap looking as all hell. The warning bells rang when the Unity engine logo came up. It just screamed low budget indie title and it didn't seem like the developers had any respect for the genre at all.

But that's just me. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

As a massive fan of 3D platformers, I hated it. 

I don't know who thought it was a good idea to not let you jump autonomously in a fucking platformer, but I want to meet them and punch them. It's also incredibly linear which is a cardinal sin and cheap looking as all hell. The warning bells rang when the Unity engine logo came up. It just screamed low budget indie title and it didn't seem like the developers had any respect for the genre at all.

But that's just me. 

While I totally agree that it should have allowed for you to simply jump whenever you want, I don't think it's as terrible as you describe here. Not allowing you to jump wherever you are adds another gameplay element in terms of restriction. It's pretty clear that this game wasn't aimed at adults, and the jumping is done to make it easier for younger players. It has a pretty clear anti racism theme too.

Linear? To some extent! I wouldn't call it incredibly linear. There are many points where you can go different places, many open areas and there's level select. It does push you through a specific order of areas though, but these are usually pretty big and have some alternative locations etc in them.

I highly disagree with you when it comes to them not having any respect for the genre.

I thought the game was decent enough. It's definitely not a short or small game that tried to save on the budget in any way I could tell. You hating because of the Unity logo seems more like a knee-jerk reaction to all the shit on steam.

I would recommend the game for a low price, if you're into old school 3D platforming games, but expect that the game isn't aimed at older players.

It's a game worth playing, but 15 pounds is definitely too expensive.

You should definitely wait for a sale like zajac advises.

I agree, and I see this game on sale all the time, so definitely worth waiting for that. :P

Edited by MMDE

• 2 weeks later...

While I totally agree that it should have allowed for you to simply jump whenever you want, I don't think it's as terrible as you describe here. Not allowing you to jump wherever you are adds another gameplay element in terms of restriction. It's pretty clear that this game wasn't aimed at adults, and the jumping is done to make it easier for younger players. It has a pretty clear anti racism theme too.

Linear? To some extent! I wouldn't call it incredibly linear. There are many points where you can go different places, many open areas and there's level select. It does push you through a specific order of areas though, but these are usually pretty big and have some alternative locations etc in them.

I highly disagree with you when it comes to them not having any respect for the genre.

I thought the game was decent enough. It's definitely not a short or small game that tried to save on the budget in any way I could tell. You hating because of the Unity logo seems more like a knee-jerk reaction to all the shit on steam.

I would recommend the game for a low price, if you're into old school 3D platforming games, but expect that the game isn't aimed at older players.

I agree, and I see this game on sale all the time, so definitely worth waiting for that. :P

In what way does not being able to jump whenever you want show any respect for the fucking PLATFORMER genre.

I didn't hate it purely because it was Unity (though that was a warning sign), I hated it because it was a crap, cheap looking game that didn't let me jump. 

There are a couple of decent Unity games (Counterspy, Tembo), but this is not one of them, and the current output has done little to convince me of its merit. 

In what way does not being able to jump whenever you want show any respect for the fucking PLATFORMER genre.

I didn't hate it purely because it was Unity (though that was a warning sign), I hated it because it was a crap, cheap looking game that didn't let me jump. 

There are a couple of decent Unity games (Counterspy, Tembo), but this is not one of them, and the current output has done little to convince me of its merit. 

It allows you to jump where you need to jump, from platform to platform. This isn't a new gameplay element, and can be found in many, especially older, 3D games.

Personally, I think it was from crap. Neither was it cheap looking IMO. In fact, I'd argue the exact opposite. So many different models and they are all rather well designed. Do you have a problem with all the colors? And it does allow you to jump.

There are tons of decent or good unity games. :P

Here's some examples:

Thomas Was Alone

Fractal

Gone Home (though I didn't like the game all that much)

Rust (not my kinda game, but tons of people play it)

Teslagrad

Dreamfall Chapters

Oddworld: New n Tasty (one of my more favorite titles for PS4)

Hand of Fate

Her Story (not my kinda game)

Ori and the Blind Forest

Volume

Grow Home

Pillars of Eternity

Hearthstone

The Long Dark

Broforce

etc

Not out yet, but Yooka-Laylee and Cuphead uses it.

Anyway, I thought this game was definitely worth the 5USD or something I paid for it.

Edited by MMDE

It allows you to jump where you need to jump, from platform to platform. This isn't a new gameplay element, and can be found in many, especially older, 3D games.

Personally, I think it was from crap. Neither was it cheap looking IMO. In fact, I'd argue the exact opposite. So many different models and they are all rather well designed. Do you have a problem with all the colors? And it does allow you to jump.

There are tons of decent or good unity games. :P

Here's some examples:

Thomas Was Alone

Fractal

Gone Home (though I didn't like the game all that much)

Rust (not my kinda game, but tons of people play it)

Teslagrad

Dreamfall Chapters

Oddworld: New n Tasty (one of my more favorite titles for PS4)

Hand of Fate

Her Story (not my kinda game)

Ori and the Blind Forest

Volume

Grow Home

Pillars of Eternity

Hearthstone

The Long Dark

Broforce

etc

Not out yet, but Yooka-Laylee and Cuphead uses it.

Anyway, I thought this game was definitely worth the 5USD or something I paid for it.

So you're essentially saying that the ability to jump autonomously isn't necessary for a genre that has been defined and categorised for just that?

You can jump in Uncharted, mate. UNCHARTED. A SHOOTER. 

No. I am sick of the generic shooter crap that is plaguing the market, starving for at least something in the 3D platformer genre, and when we finally get one it doesn't allow you to do the one thing the genre is known for by yourself?

No, I won't encourage that behaviour.

So you're essentially saying that the ability to jump autonomously isn't necessary for a genre that has been defined and categorised for just that?

You can jump in Uncharted, mate. UNCHARTED. A SHOOTER. 

No. I am sick of the generic shooter crap that is plaguing the market, starving for at least something in the 3D platformer genre, and when we finally get one it doesn't allow you to do the one thing the genre is known for by yourself?

No, I won't encourage that behaviour.

You do get to jump whenever you want, just not wherever you want. I really didn't have much of a problem with the jumping in this game. :P

Not sure why you bring up Uncharted other than for the sake of Crash Bandicoot or the very first Jak and Daxter game. The rest of those games were shooters. Yes, you can usually jump in shooters, and? It's not like the jumping in Uncharted or even Sly is all that different.

I too wish there was more 3D platformers, but I don't think the way to get more 3D platformer games is to discourage people from buying a 3D platformer game. But I get it, you want them to do it right. I didn't really see the big problem in this case TBH, and it's not like 3D platformer games haven't done stuff like this. In fact, this may in some cases be preferable, because jumping in 3D games can be pretty bad due to misjudging distance.

Anyway, I enjoyed my time with the game, so I'm not going to be grumpy about it. They decided to go in this direction and it just mixes up the genre a bit by adding different restrictions. I don't think it's worth 15GBP, but it is worth 5GBP.

Since you were complaining about there not being enough good platformer games, I was going to recommend you some games, but I see you've already played most of them and pretty much got like less than 5% trophies for all of them, IE not really played them, so I'm not going to bother.

Yes, I wish they released a game like the old Spyro or Crash Bandicoot games again.

• 1 month later...

You do get to jump whenever you want, just not wherever you want. I really didn't have much of a problem with the jumping in this game. :P

Not sure why you bring up Uncharted other than for the sake of Crash Bandicoot or the very first Jak and Daxter game. The rest of those games were shooters. Yes, you can usually jump in shooters, and? It's not like the jumping in Uncharted or even Sly is all that different.

I too wish there was more 3D platformers, but I don't think the way to get more 3D platformer games is to discourage people from buying a 3D platformer game. But I get it, you want them to do it right. I didn't really see the big problem in this case TBH, and it's not like 3D platformer games haven't done stuff like this. In fact, this may in some cases be preferable, because jumping in 3D games can be pretty bad due to misjudging distance.

Anyway, I enjoyed my time with the game, so I'm not going to be grumpy about it. They decided to go in this direction and it just mixes up the genre a bit by adding different restrictions. I don't think it's worth 15GBP, but it is worth 5GBP.

Since you were complaining about there not being enough good platformer games, I was going to recommend you some games, but I see you've already played most of them and pretty much got like less than 5% trophies for all of them, IE not really played them, so I'm not going to bother.

Yes, I wish they released a game like the old Spyro or Crash Bandicoot games again.

Can you recommend me any good platformers on PS4. I enjoyed this game and am excited to play the the Ratchet and Clank remake. 

Nope, just want a great platformer.

I'd recommend in no particular order:

N++, rather hard, but fair, short levels, no luck, massive game (talking 1200+ levels required to beat to get platinum), fluid controls, definitely among the best platformers on the console. Just pure platforming experience. Lots of stuff not required for the plat, like user created levels, level editor etc, secret levels, lots of hard secret requirements, co-op etc. I've played this for hundreds of hours, but plat takes like 50-100 depending on how good you are.

Super Meat Boy is great too, much the same as N++, pretty hard, far less levels etc.

Tesla Grad was fun enough, though very short and easy.

Apotheon, mix of 2-2.5D platformer, adventure, some small RPG elements, metroidvania. Not hard, not super easy, took like 10-15 hours.

Axiom Verge, metroidvania game... really, it's a Super Metroid/Zero Mission etc clone.

Guacamelee! another metroidvania game, more focus on adventure elements and fighting enemies. Fun game though. Took me like 12 hours in one sit to plat. Can be a bit hard, but nothing too hard.

I don't know if you're into puzzle platformers, but I'd consider Unmechanical such a game, even if you fly (not jumping from platform to platform). Pretty easy and short. Stacks PS3/PS4, so I did the PS3 version 100% in 1 hour blank.

Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty. Remake of the old Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee, a game that was released on PS1 and PC. This is a complete rework with quick save and quick load options etc. Trophies are a bit requiring, but took me just some few days from when I first started it until I got plat. IMO not that hard. It has 100% speedrun trophy and and 100% hard playthrough trophy, but these you wanna do alongside each other. There's levels, and you can do each at a time and redo etc for better total time. Really, 3 hours, and I got like 2 hours and 19 minutes without really trying all that hard. So, it's very doable. It's mostly about figuring out how to solve platforming puzzles. Takes like 15-20 hours depending on how much you gotta replay and how much time you spend watching guides etc.

I'm stretching it a bit far when I call Child of Light a platformer, it's mostly RPG, but it uses the same engine as the new Rayman games and it's very much like Unmechanical in that sense, flying around, but still much of what 2D platformers are about. Like 10 hours RPG.

Another World, it's an old puzzle platformer. Takes like 1-2 hours, pretty easy.

Thomas Was Alone, easy and cute little puzzle platformer. Doesn't take all that long either.

Salt and Sanctuary, was just released! 2D "Dark Souls".

Rayman Legends, great game, though I prefer the original from back on PS1, but yeah great game. The PS3 version took me months to 100%, purely due to challenges and grinding awesome level etc. The rest of the game went in some few days.

That new Ratchet & Clank game is coming out in a couple of weeks!

Tearaway Unfolded might be good.

LittleBigPlanet 3 is probably a safe bet, even if it used to have tons of bugs.

Some people are into Trine, didn't really like those games.

Strider might be interesting.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some here! :)

I'd recommend in no particular order:

N++, rather hard, but fair, short levels, no luck, massive game (talking 1200+ levels required to beat to get platinum), fluid controls, definitely among the best platformers on the console. Just pure platforming experience. Lots of stuff not required for the plat, like user created levels, level editor etc, secret levels, lots of hard secret requirements, co-op etc. I've played this for hundreds of hours, but plat takes like 50-100 depending on how good you are.

Super Meat Boy is great too, much the same as N++, pretty hard, far less levels etc.

Tesla Grad was fun enough, though very short and easy.

Apotheon, mix of 2-2.5D platformer, adventure, some small RPG elements, metroidvania. Not hard, not super easy, took like 10-15 hours.

Axiom Verge, metroidvania game... really, it's a Super Metroid/Zero Mission etc clone.

Guacamelee! another metroidvania game, more focus on adventure elements and fighting enemies. Fun game though. Took me like 12 hours in one sit to plat. Can be a bit hard, but nothing too hard.

I don't know if you're into puzzle platformers, but I'd consider Unmechanical such a game, even if you fly (not jumping from platform to platform). Pretty easy and short. Stacks PS3/PS4, so I did the PS3 version 100% in 1 hour blank.

Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty. Remake of the old Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee, a game that was released on PS1 and PC. This is a complete rework with quick save and quick load options etc. Trophies are a bit requiring, but took me just some few days from when I first started it until I got plat. IMO not that hard. It has 100% speedrun trophy and and 100% hard playthrough trophy, but these you wanna do alongside each other. There's levels, and you can do each at a time and redo etc for better total time. Really, 3 hours, and I got like 2 hours and 19 minutes without really trying all that hard. So, it's very doable. It's mostly about figuring out how to solve platforming puzzles. Takes like 15-20 hours depending on how much you gotta replay and how much time you spend watching guides etc.

I'm stretching it a bit far when I call Child of Light a platformer, it's mostly RPG, but it uses the same engine as the new Rayman games and it's very much like Unmechanical in that sense, flying around, but still much of what 2D platformers are about. Like 10 hours RPG.

Another World, it's an old puzzle platformer. Takes like 1-2 hours, pretty easy.

Thomas Was Alone, easy and cute little puzzle platformer. Doesn't take all that long either.

Salt and Sanctuary, was just released! 2D "Dark Souls".

Rayman Legends, great game, though I prefer the original from back on PS1, but yeah great game. The PS3 version took me months to 100%, purely due to challenges and grinding awesome level etc. The rest of the game went in some few days.

That new Ratchet & Clank game is coming out in a couple of weeks!

Tearaway Unfolded might be good.

LittleBigPlanet 3 is probably a safe bet, even if it used to have tons of bugs.

Some people are into Trine, didn't really like those games.

Strider might be interesting.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some here! :)

Thank you 

• 5 years later...

Gotta say this game was a lot better than I expected. A bit much dialog in the beginning maybe, and it take some time to get used to the jumping (or no jumping). But I really liked the art style and music of the game, as well as the puzzling and fighting mechanics.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 16/02/2016 at 9:43 PM, MMDE said:

I wouldn't call the game "crap" but even the Super Mario Bros on NES had the "freedom" of jumping. I don't think the devs of this game had a different approach in mind...They just had issues with the player getting through all their hazards easily or to areas where they didn't want you to go.

As for the models, these were very generic and kinda cookie cutter-like. Most characters looked the same, like they had one base model for every "world". On top of this the whole game reeks a knock-off of all the best platforming franchises - Spyro (i. e. the music), Ratchet And Clank (the grinding mechanics), Tombi (Koru character), Jak and Daxter (fighting elements, orbs) and LBP (the paper world). Not in a good way but more like "let's copy this, cause we don't have our own ideas".

Definitely not a bad game but as a long-time fan of the platformers I'd give it a 4/10.