Best PS3 Racing Game

FireHotStickies

Just picked up my PS3 and been playing Tomb Raider so far (very fun game).

Fancy a racing game to get in to but not sure which one to go for.

I like both arcade and simulation style racing, although I would say I would probably prefer a simulator just now.

I've been looking at NFS Shift 2: Unleashed and Gran Turismo 6. Which one would you go for? Are there any other racing sims to consider? It looks like GT 6 is more of a simulator and has better handling / physics but I don't really mind if it is only a little bit better, I just want something that handles close to a simulator but the main thing is that it is fun to play.

Thanks for your help!

P.S. Also like rally games so might pick up WRC 5 in a while once the price drops a bit (and if it turns out to be any good).

I've been looking at NFS Shift 2: Unleashed

Hi mate if you get any NFS we can boost it together. Shift 2 is hard to plat but after you get it it's gonna be awesome! Send me a PM if you wanna play some NFS together!

Best one i played was NFS: Hot Pursuit on the PS3 although i didn't really get into racing games until the PS4 came out.

Yeah Hot Pursuit is a really good game. I enjoyed every second of it and I got 100% on it :)

Rather unfortunately if you'd like a racing game that leans on the sim side there really isn't all that much to offer on the PS3. Gran Turismo 6 is probably the one I would go for (or GT5 if you wish) as the best sim on the PS3. My only problem with the game is that the offline section can get rather boring rather quickly, as the AI opponents are more like moving obstacles than actual opponents. That being said, I've had hours of fun in the online quick race section of the game. The F1 games by Codemasters (not F1 2014) are also all pretty good fun and closer to simulation than arcade as well, and if you enjoy watching formula 1 as well, then it's a pretty good choice. The AI are also a lot better than GT's AI, and that may be something to consider if you don't want to play online.

I you're looking for an off-road game then I'd rather go with Dirt 2 (by Codemasters again) over the official WRC games for better handling and a bit more variety, or even Dirt 3 if you enjoy spinning in circles. (Although I must warn you that Dirt 2's platinum is unobtainable now)

With regards to Shift, I rather enjoyed the first one, but not so much the second one for some reason. This may however, just be a change in my preferences in games over time and not respective of the two games' quality. Also the cars' handling in the games feel a bit 'floaty'. You also have a tendency to stick to other cars if you make light contact with them, which can ruin your race :unsure: .

Blur is a ton of fun. It's an arcade racer with power ups much like Mario kart. However, you drive real cars in realistic settings. By far my favorite racing game ever and one of my top 3 favorite ps3 games. Very little car customization, although you can change your load out of perks.

Split/Second is also fun.

• Like 1

Blur is a ton of fun. It's an arcade racer with power ups much like Mario kart. However, you drive real cars in realistic settings. By far my favorite racing game ever and one of my top 3 favorite ps3 games. Very little car customization, although you can change your load out of perks.

You recommended me this dude and I picked it up yesterday so I will give my verdict!!

From experience Hot Pursuit is good and I loved Burnout Paradise but I guess it all depends what you want from the racer really.

Hi mate if you get any NFS we can boost it together. Shift 2 is hard to plat but after you get it it's gonna be awesome! Send me a PM if you wanna play some NFS together!

Yeah Hot Pursuit is a really good game. I enjoyed every second of it and I got 100% on it :)

Need for speed hot pursuit is very hard Spent 50 hours and only half way to the Platnium

Split/Second is also fun.

Was coming here to recommemend Blur, probably the racing game I spent the most time playing on the PS3, I would also suggest Burnout Paradise <3

For a simulation, GT6 is your best bet, in my opinion.

For an arcade racerracer, I really enjoyed Shift (1st one)

Shift 2 is a slightly more simulation-like arcade racer, but also a much tougher platinum (in large part due to the King of the Hill trophy).

Absolute Supercars is another one to consider.

If you're looking for sim-lite racers, I enjoyed the licensed games Milestone puts out. MotoGP13 and WRC3 were quite a bit of fun. The trophy lists for both are relatively easy, but there's quite a bit of extra depth if you want to turn up the difficulty. MotoGP also sports a decent career mode where you start in GP3 and work your way up.  

The GRID games are also solid contenders in this category, with GRID 2 being the worst/most arcady of the three. Beware if you're a completionist - GRID: Autosport is a loooong haul. But if you're looking for a sim-ish circuit racer with a lot of replayability it may be worth considering. 

There's plenty of info on  GT 5 and 6 out there, so I won't make my reply any longer. Though it certainly has its issues, I thoroughly enjoyed 5 and look forward to starting 6.

On the arcade side, I'll echo those suggesting Split/Second. Great game. You may also want to give Pure and Motorstorm Apocalypse a look.

Edited by BraveNoobWorld

I don't really play simulation racers, so I can't recommend any of those. But if you want an arcade/kart racer, pick up Modnation Racers. It's Sony's version of Mario Kart (and it's way better).

Me neither, hence this list of ARCADE-racers, too :devil: :

BLUR

Need for Speed: Undercover

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit

Need for Speed: Most Wanted

Split/Second

Pure

Burnout: Paradise

Midnight Club: Los Angeles

WipeOut HD

Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing

Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed