Average Rarity change

Go to solution Solved by Sly Ripper,

But that would be exactly my idea, it would be kind of an elitist stat, taking in consideration only the rarest of the bunch.

Yes, I know that's the idea, but it's not very good at showing what I suspect the opening post want.

A game with tons of easy trophies and one hard one is likely to push the one hard one to be much rarer than it would have been in a game where almost all the trophies are hard. In which case the easy game with the one difficult trophy is "worth" more than the hard game with generally much harder trophies and even a much harder trophy for 100%/plat etc.

Yes, I know that's the idea, but it's not very good at showing what I suspect the opening post want.

A game with tons of easy trophies and one hard one is likely to push the one hard one to be much rarer than it would have been in a game where almost all the trophies are hard. In which case the easy game with the one difficult trophy is "worth" more than the hard game with generally much harder trophies and even a much harder trophy for 100%/plat etc.

Because it isn't what he suggests, I hijacked the thread with another idea that I thought to be more useful, since the current stat is something I never used or bothered to change.

Because it isn't what he suggests, I hijacked the thread with another idea that I thought to be more useful, since the current stat is something I never used or bothered to change.

Are you sure it's not? Because that's the impression I got from the opening post.

"If the stat is indeed to show the gamer the difficulty of the games attempted it would be far more beneficial to just have one trophy from each game used as an average and that should be the most difficult one - after all that is how a games difficulty is decided - it's hardest trophy. You can then ignore Common and Uncommon trophies as lets face it they're only put into games as fillers."

My answer to this is that it's not, and I also showed why what he tried to accomplish, which you too want, is quite problematic. It sounds like a fun statistics none the less though. :)

Edited by MMDE

The reason I mentioned replacing the current Average Rarity statistic is because of its confusion. Some people on other threads and even on this one think/thought that to reduce that statistic you would play Ultra Rare games but as I’ve shown previously that’s not always the case. If you don’t care about the statistic it doesn’t matter but for some, tackling the games with the lowest rarity is just as relevant as those that want to achieve the highest number of trophies and better their Country / World Rank etc. That’s why it would be nice to have a statistic that better reflects that.

And yes what I was suggesting was one trophy from each game. It would be the rarest trophy at any given point, in other words if you've just gained your first trophy at 65.50% then that would be your percentage for that game. To lower it you would work towards the lowest rarity trophy, which in the case of a Retail game would normally be the Platinum. It's a nice incentive to work towards as you know that Uncommon / Common trophies earned along the way would not raise that percentage.

Now as others have pointed out it's not completely accurate which I'll come onto, but it is transparent, easy to understand and a nice guideline. If you look at any game on PSNProfiles and find the rarest trophy on there then you know that is the trophy (should you achieve it) that will affect your score. With that in mind you can target the most ultra rare of games if you want and achieve a really low score, others who see that low score know you are playing the most challenging of games. It’s a nod to those gamers that take that approach.

What this doesn't cover quite as well are 100% games (no platinums) or DLC's. They can be done but doing so means creating a separate (fictitious) trophy.

In the case of reaching 100% in a game with no platinum and no DLC's a true reflection would be to create a separate trophy that would take the number of owners and look at how many had achieved every trophy. In effect creating its own platinum trophy. The problem now is that this figure is not something you could know yourself, it is a separate calculation done in the background and now the statistic becomes a bit more confusing.

Imagine then applying that to DLC’s. If you had a Platinum and 100% DLC you would again have to have a separate trophy that would look at the number of owners of the DLC, see how many of those had 100% and how many had the platinum. Then you would have to see if that trophy is lower than your lowest rarity trophy. An automatic thought is that if you had 100% DLC and a platinum the rarity must be lower than just having the platinum but you have to consider the number of owners on a DLC is normally significantly lower than the main game. Some games have multiple DLC’s and obtaining this separate trophy starts to become very messy.

If you're going to only use the rarest trophy per game, instead of 'average difficulty', you should use 'average game rarity'. Leave the current average rarity alone, or maybe just change the title to average trophy rarity. They measure two different things, I don't think this is a one-or-the-other scenario.

The only question I have is whether you:

1)add a game to your profile once you have earned the platinum - which would show the average completed game rarity.

2)add the lowest % trophy you've earned for each game - which shows the average rarest trophy across all games.

3)add the lowest trophy % as soon as you start a game up - which shows average attempted game rarity.

I think if I was just going to add one to the profile main page, alongside the current stat, I'd want to see the first one, although the 2nd would be all right. I think it would be cool to see all three on the statistics page. So you could see a quick comparison of attempted vs earned vs completed game rarity.

I do realize that any changes to the site require time and effort, and I believe there are other things that Sly is already working on that are much more important than making changes or adding features that a large percentage of people here simply don't care about. I'm simply participating in a hypothetical discussion.

It's still a stat that makes little sense. Because the rarest trophy of a game is simply that, the rarest trophy of a game. Not the rarity of the game.

The most akin thing to the rarity of a game is the average rarity of all the trophies in said game.

And the best name would (probably) be "average rarest trophy per game".

Edited by DocDoomII
  • Like 1

IMHO the only thing that needs to change with the average rarity statistic is, as some have already mentioned, it should not include DLC trophies in the calculation full stop as these have very bloated rarity. I have thought many times about posting a thread stating this simple fact but never bothered to actually do it since doing so on this site basically guarantees you to get a bunch of responses from people being like "who cares about that, we don't care, why do you care, only %5 care...etc etc... :)

Thanks to everyone that’s responded so far. To the people who responded to my last thread.

Hemiak

‘Average Game Rarity’ is the term I used in Post #33. I originally used the term Average Difficulty but as others have rightly pointed out, Rarity and Difficulty are not the same.

Point 1 I don’t think is beneficial as it only shows games you have completed. The reason I don’t think it works is if you have 50 games and you’ve only completed one and it was an Ultra Rare like Wipeout HD then your score would be 1.21%, but you could then have games like Hannah Montana, Terminator Salvation unfinished. This isn’t then correctly showing the rarity of the trophies you’ve attempted.

Point 2 is the one I’m trying to put across – ‘Current Average Game Rarity’. It’s the lowest rarity trophy score for each game as it currently stands so you would have a stat from the first trophy earned on your profile. The rarer the trophy you earn for each game, the lower your score.

Point 3 is an interesting point and one I hadn’t considered which basically shows “If I complete every game I have installed what would be the lowest score I could achieve”.

With points 2 and 3 you can see what you’re current score is and the best score you could achieve.

Doctor Doom

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2’s rarest trophy is 2.65% (Ultra Rare) whereas the rarity of all trophies for the game is 40.51% (Uncommon). So do you consider it an Ultra Rare or Uncommon game? I wrote a bit more about this in Post #33

DaviRules

That’s a fair point. You may very well be right. It may be that the only people interested are the same ones that look at the Average Rarity %.

IpOriginalG

I didn’t used to like the stats either for DLC’s but I now think that they better reflect the rarity of a game, if not and you used the same owner statistics as the main game you would have an abundance of Ultra Rare trophies. These statistics have a big impact on your Average Rarity % but as mentioned in Post #33, easier games can give a better % than more challenging ones regardless of DLC. With the statistic I was proposing the high % figures for DLC’s would not affect it.

Doctor Doom

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2’s rarest trophy is 2.65% (Ultra Rare) whereas the rarity of all trophies for the game is 40.51% (Uncommon). So do you consider it an Ultra Rare or Uncommon game? I wrote a bit more about this in Post #33

Games are neither rare, nor common. Trophies are and you can't take a single trophy to represent a game.

• Like 1

IMHO the only thing that needs to change with the average rarity statistic is, as some have already mentioned, it should not include DLC trophies in the calculation full stop as these have very bloated rarity. I have thought many times about posting a thread stating this simple fact but never bothered to actually do it since doing so on this site basically guarantees you to get a bunch of responses from people being like "who cares about that, we don't care, why do you care, only %5 care...etc etc... :)

We already had a bunch of threads about the DLC rarity:

https://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/24623-dlc-rarity-change/

https://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/24707-dlc-rarity-poll/

https://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/24717-change-how-average-rarity-is-calculated/

https://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/24718-change-how-completion-is-calculated-when-it-comes-to-dlcs/

https://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/26199-dlc-rarity-change/

As you can see, they all ultimately ended up being locked.

@TheYuriG

Sorry quoting doesn't work on this laptop, nor copy and paste, so I'll have to re-type  :S but you said you were interested in Potent_Delusions, so here goes. This was as at 14:00 GMT+1 23/10/2015.

1. Av Rarity = 28.30%, Game Rarity = 1.60%, Lowest Rarity = 1.60%, Game = The House of the Dead: OVERKILL Extended Cut
  2. Av Rarity = 21.06%, Game Rarity = 1.21%, Lowest Rarity = 1.21%, Game = WipEout HD
  3. Av Rarity = 16.55%, Game Rarity = 3.69%, Lowest Rarity = 3.69%, Game = Snipers - Invisible, Silent, Deadly
  4. Av Rarity = 33.58%, Game Rarity = 1.64%, Lowest Rarity = 1.34%, Game = EA SPORTS UFC
  5. Av Rarity = 20.58%, Game Rarity = 1.01%, Lowest Rarity = 1.01%, Game = IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey
  6. Av Rarity = 28.86%, Game Rarity = 0.86%, Lowest Rarity = 0.86%, Game = Red Faction: Guerrilla
  7. Av Rarity = 27.16%, Game Rarity = 4.47%, Lowest Rarity = 4.47%, Game = Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood
  8. Av Rarity = 20.91%, Game Rarity = 0.55%, Lowest Rarity = 0.45%, Game = R.U.S.E.
  9. Av Rarity = 34.34%, Game Rarity = 0.40%, Lowest Rarity = 0.40%, Game = Warhawk
  10. Av Rarity = 28.20%, Game Rarity = 3.99%, Lowest Rarity = 3.99%, Game = Birds of Steel
  11. Av Rarity = 32.28%, Game Rarity = 0.94%, Lowest Rarity = 0.94%, Game = Battlefield: Bad Company
  12. Av Rarity = 22.03%, Game Rarity = 0.65%, Lowest Rarity = 0.65%, Game = Inversion
  13. Av Rarity = 33.14%, Game Rarity = 1.26%, Lowest Rarity = 1.26%, Game = FIFA Street
  14. Av Rarity = 17.83%, Game Rarity = 1.79%, Lowest Rarity = 1.79%, Game = PAYDAY: The Heist
  15. Av Rarity = 11.75%, Game Rarity = 0.31%, Lowest Rarity = 0.31%, Game = Twisted Metal
  16. Av Rarity = 32.38%, Game Rarity = 2.33%, Lowest Rarity = 2.33%, Game = Grand Theft Auto V
  17. Av Rarity = 14.43%, Game Rarity = 1.84%, Lowest Rarity = 1.84%, Game = 007 Legends
  18. Av Rarity = 30.54%, Game Rarity = 3.57%, Lowest Rarity = 3.57%, Game = Crysis 3
  19. Av Rarity = 32.99%, Game Rarity = 0.64%, Lowest Rarity = 0.64%, Game = BINARY DOMAIN
  20. Av Rarity = 04.49%, Game Rarity = 0.60%, Lowest Rarity = 0.60%, Game = BattleFantasia
  21. Av Rarity = 16.34%, Game Rarity = 1.47%, Lowest Rarity = 1.47%, Game = Ridge Racer Unbounded
  22. Av Rarity = 28.76%, Game Rarity = 3.84%, Lowest Rarity = 3.84%, Game = Dead Rising 2: Off The Record
  23. Av Rarity = 28.76%, Game Rarity = 2.16%, Lowest Rarity = 2.16%, Game = Crysis 2
  24. Av Rarity = 26.55%, Game Rarity = 2.92%, Lowest Rarity = 2.92%, Game = PAYDAY 2
  25. Av Rarity = 24.98%, Game Rarity = 3.78%, Lowest Rarity = 3.78%, Game = Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
  26. Av Rarity = 08.13%, Game Rarity = 1.20%, Lowest Rarity = 1.20%, Game = GoldenEye 007: Reloaded
  27. Av Rarity = 30.75%, Game Rarity = 1.44%, Lowest Rarity = 1.44%, Game = Front Mission Evolved
  28. Av Rarity = 23.98%, Game Rarity = 1.38%, Lowest Rarity = 1.38%, Game = Grand Theft Auto IV
  29. Av Rarity = 18.95%, Game Rarity = 2.79%, Lowest Rarity = 2.79%, Game = Dead Rising 2
  30. Av Rarity = 21.85%, Game Rarity = 0.20%, Lowest Rarity = 0.20%, Game = FIGHT NIGHT ROUND 4
  31. Av Rarity = 21.00%, Game Rarity = 0.17%, Lowest Rarity = 0.17%, Game = LOST PLANET 2
  32. Av Rarity = 28.27%, Game Rarity = 0.62%, Lowest Rarity = 0.62%, Game = Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Future Soldier
  33. Av Rarity = 30.76%, Game Rarity = 2.38%, Lowest Rarity = 2.38%, Game = Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
  34. Av Rarity = 35.26%, Game Rarity = 3.77%, Lowest Rarity = 3.77%, Game = Mirror's Edge
  35. Av Rarity = 19.45%, Game Rarity = 0.53%, Lowest Rarity = 0.53%, Game = Far Cry 2
  36. Av Rarity = 16.04%, Game Rarity = 0.20%, Lowest Rarity = 0.20%, Game = Tom Clancy's EndWar
  37. Av Rarity = 09.66%, Game Rarity = 1.00%, Lowest Rarity = 1.00%, Game = QUANTUM THEORY
  38. Av Rarity = 30.14%, Game Rarity = 1.65%, Lowest Rarity = 1.65%, Game = Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days
  39. Av Rarity = 02.77%, Game Rarity = 0.12%, Lowest Rarity = 0.12%, Game = RAZING STORM
  40. Av Rarity = 32.83%, Game Rarity = 0.80%, Lowest Rarity = 0.80%, Game = Max Payne 3
  41. Av Rarity = 37.69%, Game Rarity = 2.02%, Lowest Rarity = 2.02%, Game = Medal of Honor Warfighter
  42. Av Rarity = 36.30%, Game Rarity = 2.72%, Lowest Rarity = 2.72%, Game = VANQUISH
  43. Av Rarity = 28.68%, Game Rarity = 1.53%, Lowest Rarity = 1.53%, Game = Aliens vs Predator

Average Rarity = 24.40% (Average Trophy Achieved = Uncommon)

Average Game Rarity = 1.68% (Ultra Rare Game Hunter)

Lowest Possible Average Game Rarity = 1.67% (Ultra Rare Game Hunter)

Doctor Doom

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2’s rarest trophy is 2.65% (Ultra Rare) whereas the rarity of all trophies for the game is 40.51% (Uncommon). So do you consider it an Ultra Rare or Uncommon game? I wrote a bit more about this in Post #33

All of this has no sense. You are confusing games with trophies. A trophy is ultra rare or uncommon. For example: Bloodborne an hard game to play but the platinum is not that hard to obtain.

I'm struggling with what you wrote. How can a game be hard but the platinum not be hard. Bloodborne says that 22.17% of people that attempted the game got the platinum, so there is your answer. It's an Uncommon trophy. I don't know the game but all that matters in terms of statistics on this site are the trophies. If the game is hard outside of those parameters (side missions etc) it's irrelevant.

A game is made of trophies on this site and I'm talking about the rarest trophy for a game being the benchmark

I'm struggling with what you wrote. How can a game be hard but the platinum not be hard. Bloodborne says that 22.17% of people that attempted the game got the platinum, so there is your answer. It's an Uncommon trophy. I don't know the game but all that matters in terms of statistics on this site are the trophies. If the game is hard outside of those parameters (side missions etc) it's irrelevant.

A game is made of trophies on this site and I'm talking about the rarest trophy for a game being the benchmark

If in this website all that matter are trophies, where does the "uncommon or ultra rare game" come from? Also I meant that the rarity is irrelevant when we talk about the difficulty of a game. That's why i picked Bloodborne as an example.

If you do that, then the stat wont be accurate. The average rarity is the average rarity of all of your trophies. That's all it is, that's what it's meant to be, and it's not something that can be inaccurate or can be changed. It seems like what you want is basically an average platinum rarity stat. Since the plat is always the rarest trophy in any set. Which ok, I guess that would be neat, but there's no reason to take away the average rarity of all trophies to include it.

OK I admit defeat, I've explained clearly what the stat is multiple times but the sticking point seems to be the title which then confuses everyone about what it represents.

That aside it probably is true that only a small minority would actually be interested. I'll update to answered.