why do you play videogames?

matso1987

i would really like to know the reasons why the vast majority of people like and play video games..for me personally, videogames are a boost to my imagination with the story taking place in front of my screen plus im an active part of it. Also are more advanced than some movies i might say. plus awesome graphics, and puzzles that keep my mind sharp. talking for good video games.. And lastly for all the people like me, started to play when everything was a big square thing, im talking pixels, witnessing this evolution is something amazing, with internet play and all that stuff.thats for me i d like to hear your reasons!

The games I play are mostly an aid to help reading and understanding Japanese which I am studying at night school.

As a result nearly all of the games I play will have some sort of JP element to them either visually or audibly or both.

Of course it helps with being a fan and actually enjoying the content, it makes learning not feel like learning.

Edit: My long term gaming goal will be to learn sufficient Japanese that I feel confident enough to stream games on my PS4 bilingual (JP/ENG).

Edited by JapanimeGamer

Video games are the biggest passion of my life. I can't really explain why I play them or why I love them, though. When you love something/someone a lot can you explain it? I can only say that being a gamer is part of my identity; I love the immersion, the experiences and the pleasure that video games give me. My consoles, my video games, my closest PSN friends and my love for multiplayer made me survive the darkest times of my life. That's why Playstation will always have a special place in my heart, like no other console I had before.

Because I've trained myself into using video games as a tool to avoid life's adversities.

At first, it was simply a way to keep myself out of the way of adults. Then, it turned into a topic of discussion around friends. Eventually, I found myself wanting to play games on a regular basis. Time goes by and the levels of responsibility on your part begins to increase, perhaps too much given the complexity of the world that we now live in and have to deal with. You start using it to evade homework, chores, discussions and then start finding yourself unable to escape because it has become a narcotic. Then people you know start to become distant, become enemies or even die or commit suicide. You can't help but become emotionally unbalanced and in such times, you need your primary drug to calm you. Video games is my drug. Without it, I simply would stop giving a shit. There is nothing more rewarding to me than at the end of the day being able to mash out a session of whatever game takes my fancy. In truth, I work my ass off just to have that luxury.

Because now, it's no longer a drug. I earn my right to play video games. I no longer make the excuses I once did to play them. To me, video games are now my reality checker. Sometimes I get asked by people I know why I still play them so much. I simply ask them why do they still smoke and drink when they told me they'd quit... sometimes, I like to think that I was one of the lucky ones.

• Like 1

There are many reasons why people play video games, some to pass the time for the entertainment or others to escape from reality if they're having a bad day or depressed. And also, video games do tend to give out important lessons about life itself and that's always a real plus. 

Anyway, the real reason why I play video games is exactly what I said above and then some. Video games play a huge part in my life and I would never trade it for the world, it made into the person I am today by learning some of the life lessons over the years. 

• Like 1

For me, video games are an escape from the real world and my (very shitty) life. I thought at one point I might have been just running away from my problems and making it worse with video games but then I realized through video games I actually was able to learn some things that made me look at my life and try to a better person. Not only that but through them I was actually able to feel joy and not feel so alone.

Without video games my life would just...suck.

Plenty of reasons, I guess.

They allow you to get immersed in a fantastic story, admire wonderful artwork and graphics, enjoy beautiful music... and just have a blast playing. The best games even allow me to do all of these at once.

That and they also allow me to rest and clear my head from real life. Feels good to have some control over something.