Do you think gaming got better or worse over the last decade?

Zenpai

107 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the gaming industry and gaming in general got better or worse over the last decade?

• Much better!
    • Slightly better
    • It's about the same
    • Slightly worse
    • Much worse!

Definitely better. It sucked being a PS3 owner in 2007 and most of early 2008. PS4 got great games pretty quickly in 2014, so yeah definitely better.

You have your cashgrabs of course and the whole "patch the game later" mentality, but pros outweigh the cons in my opinion.

Great joke mate.

Gaming gotten worse since mircotranactions.

• Like 1

Better in some ways, far worse in some others.

I loathe and despise when games require online trophies for completion and they've shut down the server, because it makes the game nearly pointless to buy if you're a trophy hunter. Lips is a good 360 example - you can't get a gold, silver or bronze trophy when you sing a song now because the servers have been shut down, and you can't even compare it to your friends' scores any more unless you're playing in duet or co-op mode.

That's another one you can't 100% without the online servers, either - there are 4 trophies where online play is absolutely *required* for you to get them, and if you don't really know anybody else who has the game & has time to put in the hours and hours to sing 20 songs twice & wait for you to do the same, well then it's too bad. Drives me up the wall - especially as I have only 2 trophies off a completed game and will never be able to complete it. As another comment in this thread mentioned, it has some serious grinding requirements over time too, and if like me you're a semi-professional singer who has to keep their voice in the best condition possible, singing as much as Lips requires over the length of time it takes to get such achievements as are needed to complete the game can be really problematic and genuinely painful :(

The worst thing about such games? It's ridiculously difficult to find out when servers are going to be shut down or have been because there doesn't seem to be any single place for devs or owners to make that known that I've ever found, and if you don't know anybody else who already owns the game and can tell you if it's possible to complete it to 100% without online trophies/achievements you have another blasted problem. *sighs*

• Like 1

micotransactions
day 1 DLC
bugs and glitches

all these things have come with modern gaming. back then devs had only one shot to make a game and do it right. If they messed up then that was that. there was no patch to fix it. 

now being able to play online
trophies
and better visuals

thats all good in the hood. If only they could stop with all the DLC and microtransactions...

• Like 2

In my opinion, gaming got much better over the last decade. Ten years ago, I was still playing on my PS2, which was a good console, but, now, the world of gaming is so much more awesome! My reasons are:

• Consoles are now social machines, which is great, because it allowed me to meet so many nice people that I'm still friends with to this day. I love the sense of connectivity to players all over the world;
  • Awesome multiplayer components in games that extend their replay value for years (like Uncharted 3...) and even very fun games that are totally online and that have very friendly communities (like PvZ GW...);
  • Trophies, in general, were a great addition to gaming, motivating players to explore their games in ways that, probably, most of them wouldn't do without them;
  • Online trophies, in particular, seem to be here to stay, which is great, because, in my opinion, they are, definitely, the most fun, entertaining and interesting trophies to hunt;
  • Some games, like Uncharted or Tomb Raider, are now like interactive action-adventure movies, which is a dream came true for me;
  • Games now have awesome, shiny and super-realistic graphics, that are like a candy to me (give me more Infamous on PS4!);
  • Interactive drama is now a very interesting genre, which really pleases me, because I really like this type of games;
  • Some devs continuously support their games with new DLC packages, which is great for the fans of those games (looking at you, beloved Uncharted 3);
  • And the most obvious and personal reason: well, ten years ago, the Gods of the video game industry (also known as Naughty Dog) hadn't developed The Masterpiece yet (a.k.a. "The Last of Us")  :P.

There really aren't any negative points that I think are worth mentioning, at least, directly related to gaming. I only plat games that I like, I only go for trophies that I know will be pleasant to hunt and I only buy DLC for games that I love. Honestly, I think people only like to complicate things too much. Everything is just a matter of perspective, anyway.

Lol, besides trophies and interactive drama, all of the mentioned points are something that I would consider negative points =D

How different opinions can be... =D

◾Games now have awesome, shiny and super-realistic graphics, that are like a candy to me (give me more Infamous on PS4!);

This is a negative point for you? I know Japanese title are still in the 2000s graphics but over it should be a positive thing, right? Edited by Winston

In my opinion, gaming got much better over the last decade. Ten years ago, I was still playing on my PS2, which was a good console, but, now, the world of gaming is so much more awesome! My reasons are:

• Consoles are now social machines, which is great, because it allowed me to meet so many nice people that I'm still friends with to this day. I love the sense of connectivity to players all over the world;
  • Awesome multiplayer components in games that extend their replay value for years (like Uncharted 3...) and even very fun games that are totally online and that have very friendly communities (like PvZ GW...);
  • Trophies, in general, were a great addition to gaming, motivating players to explore their games in ways that, probably, most of them wouldn't do without them;
  • Online trophies, in particular, seem to be here to stay, which is great, because, in my opinion, they are, definitely, the most fun, entertaining and interesting trophies to hunt;
  • Some games, like Uncharted or Tomb Raider, are now like interactive action-adventure movies, which is a dream came true for me;
  • Games now have awesome, shiny and super-realistic graphics, that are like a candy to me (give me more Infamous on PS4!);
  • Interactive drama is now a very interesting genre, which really pleases me, because I really like this type of games;
  • Some devs continuously support their games with new DLC packages, which is great for the fans of those games (looking at you, beloved Uncharted 3);
  • And the most obvious and personal reason: well, ten years ago, the Gods of the video game industry (also known as Naughty Dog) hadn't developed The Masterpiece yet (a.k.a. "The Last of Us")  :P.

There really aren't any negative points that I think are worth mentioning, at least, directly related to gaming. I only plat games that I like, I only go for trophies that I know will be pleasant to hunt and I only buy DLC for games that I love. Honestly, I think people only like to complicate things too much. Everything is just a matter of perspective, anyway.

Lol, besides trophies and interactive drama, all of the mentioned points are something that I would consider negative points =D

How different opinions can be... =D

100% agree with Satoshi here. It's funny how different people can have fundamentally opposite outlooks on the exact same things. Even more so considering me and GoldenSurprise are fellow compatriots. But I suppose that's why I began the topic in the first place, so we could bounce ideas off each other. :)

I think it could go either way, but I think a bit worse due to the ridiculous DLC and overcharging for it, and a lot of AAA games feel like interactive movies. Plus a lot of my favorite genres have become less prevalent, like 3D platformers (and good 2D ones), and JRPGs (which IMO aren't as good as they used to be). But it's all a matter of opinion I suppose :P

Realistic graphics are not a bad thing, but they should not be used for every game. Titles like Metal Gear, TLOU and Uncharted certainly benefits from being more realistic, but JRPGs in general looks horrible. Take a look at Star Ocean The Last Hope or even FF Type-0 remastered: characters look like dolls, not people. Just imagining a Tales Of game or a Persona title without the anime style graphics give me the chills...

Let's see. 10 years ago from when this thread was started, the only thing you would be able to compare gaming now (PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Wii, Wii U, 3DS) would have been the systems available.

So, in other words, how does gaming compare the state of gaming on 10/17/2005?

The PS2 has tons of games, very few with online multipler and it plays all PS1 games. PSP is out, has quite a few games and custom firmware so it can emulate a bunch of older gen games, but Sony has just given up on making the PSP a portable movie player. The Xbox is also pretty popular, but tends to get about 30% of the shelf space as PS2 in most stores. The Gamecube is out, it's fairly disappointing aside from some good first party titles and a couple third party. Gameboy Advance is still selling tons of games and it still plays Gameboy cartridges. Used video game stores are plentiful and do quite a bit of business.

Rumors are flying about what this new Xbox system will do, but no one is really sure when a new Nintendo system or a new Playstation system will come out.

I'm supposed to even consider that gaming today might be worse than that?!

• Like 1

I grew up with the SNES and N64 and ill always say we should go back to the cartridge days. Graphics only amuse you so much when its the story that brings you back.

On topic though, I do like how visually and such gaming has improved, ill leave this pic here to show what i hateBurgers.jpg

That is a perfect representation of how games are made this days sir ;)

micotransactions

day 1 DLC

bugs and glitches

all these things have come with modern gaming. back then devs had only one shot to make a game and do it right. If they messed up then that was that. there was no patch to fix it. 

trophies

and better visuals

thats all good in the hood. If only they could stop with all the DLC and microtransactions...

Thats why we get so many broken games at release, they know they can patch it later so they think "its not finished? thats alright release it anyway, we'll patch it later".

Great joke mate.

Gaming gotten worse since mircotranactions.

Well I respect your opinion. But the only ones to blame are gamers for allowing it to continue. Clearly many more people are buying into microtransactions than the ones complaining about it.

Thankfully this issue hasn't impacted me so far as I largely ignore paid DLC and microtransactions, so yeah this gen has been pretty awesome thus far for me.

Edited by Death_Ninja

Better,for graphics and controls, yes, but worse for Microtransactions and Season Passes.

I will admit though, some DLC is alright, like adding some costumes/weapons or future Story DLC, but when they purposely remove Story Content or force you to buy weapons and etc before a game is even released, then its not acceptable. Its a hit and miss scenario basically.

micotransactions

day 1 DLC

bugs and glitches

trophies

and better visuals

Console gamers are completely new to this stuff, but any older gamer with a PC knows DLC isn't new. 20 years ago we called them "expansion packs". We didn't download them because it was easier to just print off a CD with the expansion on it and charge $30. My first expansion was Beyond the Dark Portal for Warcraft 2. I wanted to continue the story so I had to buy the expansion. It just gave a few new story levels and some new units. That was it, $30 for a little new stuff.

And oh god there were a ton of bugs in Atari/NES games. Battletoads on the NES had really nasty bugs that could prevent you from finishing the game (the game would lock up at a certain point). Imagine beating all those super hard levels just to have the game crash on you towards the end. Some NES games you couldn't even finish the first levels because they were so bugged up or just plain programmed wrong (X-Men on the NES). Nowadays, if there's bugs, they get patched and fixed. Well.. most. I've noticed Saints Row 4 and Gat Out of Hell on the PS4 still have no patches even though they lock up or bug out sometimes. Then again, they're not massive games like Assassin's Creed Unity was.

We've got it way better now than back then. The only complaint I have now is developers need to ignore the fans who end up ruining games or having the story changed.

The problem I have with the remasters is not that they actually exist, but that their isn't a steady influx of quality PS4 and Xbox One current gen exclusives. Yes, we get great games like MGS5 and Bloodborne, but these consoles have been out for nearly 2 years and there's only been a handful of great current gen exclusives. Compare 2013, the year PS4 was released - we got Tomb Raider, Beyond 2 Souls (which I personally didn't think was great but a lot of people regard it as a top PS3 exclusive), and arguably the two best game of the generation, GTA5 and The Last of Us. 

Not to mention that the majority of these remasters aren't even remastered experiences. God of War 3 is the best example. The game is hardly a worthwhile improvement over the PS3 version, and it still makes no sense to me for Sony to suggest that it was released as a way to introduce 360 players into the series, when they most likely won't have even played GoW 1 or 2! It makes no sense to me that anybody would buy that game for more than £5. 

And finally, look at all these broken messes of releases, especially from EA. That, and along with their countless updates and microtransactions, are the main reasons I haven't yet made the move to PS4. 

• Like 1

Worse simply because developers now release half assed products and fix them with patches because no one fucking cares about the consumer anymore. Most games that release don't even work out of the box anymore.

Edited by Kubanga

I dunno if I'm just easily pleased but I have little complaints with gaming nowadays, at least I don't think it's gone noticeably downhill.  Things like the PlayStation Store are great since we don't have to go out of our way to get demos through those freebie discs in gaming magazines anymore, we can get them ASAP with a quick download.  Or how now we have the option of buying a full game digitally if it's not easily available in our area or it'd simply be more convenient for us financially to do so.

And although this a niche, the lack of region-lock from the PS3 era onwards has changed pretty much every aspect of gaming for me now (in a really good way, I mean).  Great for opening up more choice and options, not just for importing from Japan but from America to Europe and vice versa for games not available in your region (which in PS2 would've been a waste of money thanks to region-locking, and your only options were to give up or buy a console from the respective region).

I'm 31 started gaming on a Spectrum typing the games in for hours then moved on to a C64, mega drive, N64, GameCube, Wii, PS3 and finally PS4.

There's no comparison that games have got better some of the stuff that I play now amazes me I didn't play the last of us on PS3 but when I found those giraffes on the remastered version damn it just took my breath away a bit. Stuff like that wasn't possible ten years ago. The budget for story writing wasn't there either. Sure some games had great stories but a lot didn't.

There's a few annoying things DLC season passes etc but I don't but then normally. The ones I have tend to be on special edition discs. But there easy to avoid just don't buy them.

Online gaming is great I recently moved 17,000km across the world yet I can sit down and play online with my mates wearing a headset having a crystal clear chat like they were sat next to me.

The major downside for me is buggy games the effort is not put in testing them as well. It is too easy for them to just have an attitude of we will patch it later. If your a day 1 purchaser you could have the game done before a patch arrives.

But the idea gaming is worse than ten years ago to me is laughable.

Slightly worse, Unfinished titles, season passes and DLC, not being able to mod without being banned. It's a different kind of fun now, it's all about following the rules now which doesn't help when home brewers are better than official developers. The age of gaming is not now, it's more the age of consumers and tight control by 2 companies, MS and Sony.