This is potentially the most overrated game I have ever played.

DrasticAutomatic

No way it took you 2 minutes to beat each level on your first go. The screen DOES extend, and while the gameplay is basic, it works great to make it feel in tune with the rhythm of the kickass ost. I wouldn't say the graphics contribute to the 'overrated' ratings the games been getting, but I wouldn't change them if I could. The one point I completely disagree with you is the story. It's a strange story that leaves a lot of room to interpretation, I really enjoyed reading all the theories on the story online. Maybe you went in with the wrong expectations, the game isn't for everyone.

• Like 2

Hotline Miami is Overrated? Since when?

In all fairness Hotline Miami is all about the gameplay not story. Even the the devs make fun of you in-game for thinking you'll learn more about the story by getting the collectibles and secret ending.

I think Hotline Miami is fair with its gameplay, if you suck you will hate it; if your good you'll feel like a pro.

• Like 4

No way it took you 2 minutes to beat each level on your first go. The screen DOES extend, and while the gameplay is basic, it works great to make it feel in tune with the rhythm of the kickass ost. I wouldn't say the graphics contribute to the 'overrated' ratings the games been getting, but I wouldn't change them if I could. The one point I completely disagree with you is the story. It's a strange story that leaves a lot of room to interpretation, I really enjoyed reading all the theories on the story online. Maybe you went in with the wrong expectations, the game isn't for everyone.

Of course not on my first go, the game's poor gameplay mechanisms add to the tedious length. 

My honest opinion. Don't bother to create a thread to bash a game you didn't put enough time into, if you can't back up your babble.

I completed ever chapter in the game and got to the end credits, that more than entitles me to comment on the product. 

Totally disagree. I loved every second of this game. Getting that final A+ ranking was one of the most rewarding feelings I have ever had whilst playing a game. Ever. For an Indie game, that is saying something. Oh and that soundtrack is fantastic :)

Hotline Miami will grow on you if you invest time into it. Which I get the impression you haven't. Just give it time :)

I'm not going to try to change your opinion because you're more than entitled to it, but I do want to put fourth my personal opinion on the part of your text I highlighted. 

I absolutely loved the gameplay. It's just a damn good example of a fast-paced, pick-up-and-play game. You're meant to get killed. That's the point of it. The joy comes from learning where you got killed, learning from your mistakes and quickly bursting through the level after slowly amassing the knowledge of the level by dying a lot.

If the game made a point to highlight where every enemy was, it would surely loose that frantic nervousness that I felt while playing it. I loved the fact that death would come so quickly but the game would instantly restart so you could swiftly make amends for your mistakes. 

Finally, I had no problems with the controls personally speaking, as I found them to perfectly suit the game. Again, this is all based on my experience of the game and from the satisfaction of getting the platinum. 

Agreed. I love the aspect of having the verge of death constantly on your shoulders. Learning what works and what doesn't work is the funnest part IMO.

Also, I don't know about you but I used melee weapons a lot and threw guns at people a lot to save ammo and try to earn a higher score. To call this game repetitive depends on how you approach it.

Obviously, the OP has never played Destiny (ducks and hides).

My honest opinion. Don't bother to create a thread to bash a game you didn't put enough time into, if you can't back up your babble.

Meh. I've put the time into it and gotten the plat, can't say it deserves all the praise it gets imo.

To me, it was an average indie at best.

Meh. I've put the time into it and gotten the plat, can't say it deserves all the praise it gets imo.

To me, it was an average indie at best.

Not loving it is one thing, but if you agree with these points:

I know for a fact i'm not alone with that opinion;

1) The story - the end the story has little to no depth to it whatsoever

2) The graphics - This game is just dull to look at. It's hard to actually make the objects onscreen, and the characters themselves seem far to small. 

3) Gameplay - the reason for the games difficulty is simply down to not being able to see your enemies at times (because the screen does not extend), random enemy patterns, and AWFUL CONTROLS. And the level design consists of 4-5 rectangular corridors per-level, with no variety whatsoever. Not to mention that despite there being over 20 weapons, the game revolves entirely around one-shotting enemies, and gets boring and repetitive by the third level. 

4) The length - There are a total of 20 levels in the game, each one lasting around 2 minutes. For a £6 asking price this is simply not enough to warrant a full price purchase. The main reason the game is tedious and difficult is to disguise its shallow gameplay and short length. 

This game is essentially a newsgrounds/miniclip flash game from 10 years ago

You are clearly out of your mind.

Not loving it is one thing, but if you agree with these points:

You are clearly out of your mind.

I agree with every point besides #4, but about halfway through I just began skipping the story. It failed to interest me and I just wanted to be done with the game, so maybe I shouldn't judge #1

Oh and about the graphics, the size never bothered me but some scenery items were so poorly detailed I had no idea wtf I was looking at. Masks didn't look like masks at all, for example, until picked up.

Edited by madbuk

I agree with every point besides #4, but about halfway through I just began skipping the story. It failed to interest me and I just wanted to be done with the game, so maybe I shouldn't judge #1

Oh and about the graphics, the size never bothered me but some scenery items were so poorly detailed I had no idea wtf I was looking at. Masks didn't look like masks at all, for example, until picked up.

This guy gets it. The scenery is so bland to look at. 

Hotline Miami seems to be one of the most beloved modern indie titles of recent years. So I gave it a play through. This game was HORRIBLE, and I know for a fact i'm not alone with that opinion;

1) The story - So after being told about the game's mysteriously atmospheric story, I was anticipating something highly encapsulating, but in the end the story has little to no depth to it whatsoever. It's not that I need to have an understanding for the main characters motives, but we know next to nothing about him in the first place (which works in some cases, but here falls flat because of the other flaws in the game). 

2) The graphics - I love this trend of modern style indie retro games, Scott Pilgrim is a great example. This game is just dull to look at. It's hard to actually make the objects onscreen, and the characters themselves seem far to small. 

3) Gameplay - Now this is where the game get's shitty. The game itself is somewhat difficult, which i'm okay with in regards to the one-life aspect, but the reason for the games difficulty is simply down to not being able to see your enemies at times (because the screen does not extend), random enemy patterns, and AWFUL CONTROLS. My God those controls were terrible. And the level design consists of 4-5 rectangular corridors per-level, with no variety whatsoever. Not to mention that despite there being over 20 weapons, the game revolves entirely around one-shotting enemies, and gets boring and repetitive by the third level. 

4) The length - There are a total of 20 levels in the game, each one lasting around 2 minutes. For a £6 asking price this is simply not enough to warrant a full price purchase. The main reason the game is tedious and difficult is to disguise its shallow gameplay and short length. 

This game is essentially a newsgrounds/miniclip flash game from 10 years ago, and i'm certain that within the next few years people will revisit this game and realise how overrated it was upon its release. 

Firstly, I loved the game despite it making me punch a hole in a door at school and I platinum'd it ages ago and recently spent a little bit of time replaying it on my second account. There's my stance on it. Here's some more words.

1. The story. No idea. I skipped every clip. I just wanted to kill people and didn't care, but then, the game didn't make me feel like I wanted to know the story, I just assumed he was an insane hitman who watched Friday the 13th and decided he wanted to one up Jason on the whole mask thing, and then stopped taking phone orders and killed everyone.

2. The graphics. I actually found the color and visual distinction between most objects and characters was incredibly noticeable, everything was all colorful and glammy but you could still clearly tell what weapon you were picking up, what guy you were about to use it on, and so forth.

3. The gameplay. Well firstly if it gets boring by the third level as you claim, then your attention span is even shorter than mine because apparently you only took 2 minutes to beat each level so if you're already bored of a game after 6 minutes then hat's off to you for you are the supreme higher being and my mortal self isn't worthy of criticizing you. First though, the screen does extend, maybe not enough at times, but you can move the camera around. Second, the level design is pretty bland at times but it never feels particularly repetitive. Third, the controls aren't the best but they're nowhere near the worst, when I walk around in a circle or get stuck in a door, I blame me.

4. The length. The game is about replaying and improving, so 20 something levels that should on average take a lot longer than 2 minutes, isn't too bad for $6 (I don't have your currency's symbol on my keyboard).

I'll give you that though, this could have been a flash game, but even if it was, it would be one of the best damn flash games in existence. 

Sorry for the short reply, I'm on the bus to school and hate ranting on my phone.

Rocket League holds that title. Hotline Miami at least had a good soundtrack.

Dude..  I agree soundtrack-wise.. That's it.

Hotline Miami. I am AWFUL at Hotline Miami. Seriously. Go look at my lack of trophies if you're that way inclined. Note that big red 'F' and all those trophies I haven't got.

I am AWFUL at this game... But... This game is awesome! Dat soundtrack! Dat more-ishness! My Vita told me I might want to wear headphones and damn was she right! (I will qualify my position by saying I've only played for short bursts now and again but) as indie games go, as games that cost £6 on sale go, what the hell more do you want? 

This is a game that is ridiculously replayable, fun, with fairly high production values for an indie game, an awesome soundtrack, and a 'do-able' platinum trophy, It's perfect for satisfying the post-work bloodlust, and it cost you the price of a pint and a bag of peanuts. Just enjoy it  :)

*I realise you aren't OP. Rocket League hate is a dangerous game though fella :P*

Edited by Che_DnB
  • Like 2

Dude.. I agree soundtrack-wise.. That's it.

Hotline Miami. I am AWFUL at Hotline Miami. Seriously. Go look at my lack of trophies if you're that way inclined. Note that big red 'F' and all those trophies I haven't got.

I am AWFUL at this game... But... This game is awesome! Dat soundtrack! Dat more-ishness! My Vita told me I might want to wear headphones and damn was she right! (I will qualify my position by saying I've only played for short bursts now and again but) as indie games go, as games that cost £6 on sale go, what the hell more do you want?

This is a game that is ridiculously replayable, fun, with fairly high production values for an indie game, an awesome soundtrack, and a 'do-able' platinum trophy, It's perfect for satisfying the post-work bloodlust, and it cost you the price of a pint and a bag of peanuts. Just enjoy it :)

*I realise you aren't OP. Rocket League hate is a dangerous game though fella :P*

I buddy. I love as well Hotline Miami but I'm really AWFUL.. I can get S ranks. It's on my to do list since the first time I played it. Hopefully it will join my "road to 50plat list"

There is no reason for you to involve Rocket League into this. :(

You're right!
  • Like 2