This is potentially the most overrated game I have ever played.

DrasticAutomatic

Nah, Rocket League holds that title. Hotline Miami at least had a good soundtrack.

Dude, Rocket League is overrated as shit but it's still a solid game.

The fact the one that came before it has more content and a lower price though, is kind of funny.

Hotline Miami seems to be one of the most beloved modern indie titles of recent years. So I gave it a play through. This game was HORRIBLE, and I know for a fact i'm not alone with that opinion;

1) The story - So after being told about the game's mysteriously atmospheric story, I was anticipating something highly encapsulating, but in the end the story has little to no depth to it whatsoever. It's not that I need to have an understanding for the main characters motives, but we know next to nothing about him in the first place (which works in some cases, but here falls flat because of the other flaws in the game). 

2) The graphics - I love this trend of modern style indie retro games, Scott Pilgrim is a great example. This game is just dull to look at. It's hard to actually make the objects onscreen, and the characters themselves seem far to small. 

3) Gameplay - Now this is where the game get's shitty. The game itself is somewhat difficult, which i'm okay with in regards to the one-life aspect, but the reason for the games difficulty is simply down to not being able to see your enemies at times (because the screen does not extend), random enemy patterns, and AWFUL CONTROLS. My God those controls were terrible. And the level design consists of 4-5 rectangular corridors per-level, with no variety whatsoever. Not to mention that despite there being over 20 weapons, the game revolves entirely around one-shotting enemies, and gets boring and repetitive by the third level. 

4) The length - There are a total of 20 levels in the game, each one lasting around 2 minutes. For a £6 asking price this is simply not enough to warrant a full price purchase. The main reason the game is tedious and difficult is to disguise its shallow gameplay and short length. 

This game is essentially a newsgrounds/miniclip flash game from 10 years ago, and i'm certain that within the next few years people will revisit this game and realise how overrated it was upon its release. 

1) I agree about the story. In fact, the reveal at the end ruined everything for me.

2) I didn't mind the graphics, but I'm used to top-down games like this from the past.

3) Completely disagree. I thought control was tight (with the exception of wonky lock-ons). One-shotting enemies doesn't work well with multiple weapons, I'll grant. The fact that enemies only behaved in a kind of pattern was actually a plus for me, as it made it more rewarding when I nailed a top score on a level.

4) I thought the length was just fine for the price. I would have been willing to pay $10-$15 for the game.

I do agree that this game is overrated. I don't know why a game can't simply be good anymore, instead of OHMYGODTHISISTHEGREATESTTHINGEVER!!! Hotline Miami was a fun game for me. But it's hardly the best game on the system or anything.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, one man's trash is another man's treasure, insert similar quote here . . .

It's the OPs opinion, why are you all getting so wound up? Who really gives a Fuck?

Did someone get wound up? It looked to me like people were just sharing opinions for the most part. 

Edited by starcrunch061

"I played 30% of the game and it entitles me to say shit about it".

You did not understand the story, didn't even try to. Get all the letters and get the secret ending before you dare to say ANYTHING about the story.

You didn't get either the A+ for every chapter or got the combo higher than 8x, you do not understand how to play it.

You can't blame the game for having too small objects and characters, but you are either too far from the TV or have eye sight problems. It's your fault, not the game's.

Won't comment about graphics because liking them or not is up to you.

This thread is a joke. Guess I'll beat vanquish on hard as well and never touch the challenges and that will make me eligible to rate it a 4/10 platinum because yes.

I feel if he finished the game that it's fair enough for him to voice his personal opinion.

I feel that a game should include a story that satisfies anyone who plays the game to completion normally, and that if you want to search for collectibles it should add to the story, not make the story. I mean, isn't that a criticism that everyone throws at MGSV? So how can you use the same logic to defend this game?

All the things he's stated are just issues he personally had with the game, and people are entitled to agree or disagree, which opens his statements up for discussion as it should in a forum thread.

• Like 1

Hotline Miami seems to be one of the most beloved modern indie titles of recent years. So I gave it a play through. This game was HORRIBLE, and I know for a fact i'm not alone with that opinion;

1) The story - So after being told about the game's mysteriously atmospheric story, I was anticipating something highly encapsulating, but in the end the story has little to no depth to it whatsoever. It's not that I need to have an understanding for the main characters motives, but we know next to nothing about him in the first place (which works in some cases, but here falls flat because of the other flaws in the game). 

2) The graphics - I love this trend of modern style indie retro games, Scott Pilgrim is a great example. This game is just dull to look at. It's hard to actually make the objects onscreen, and the characters themselves seem far to small. 

3) Gameplay - Now this is where the game get's shitty. The game itself is somewhat difficult, which i'm okay with in regards to the one-life aspect, but the reason for the games difficulty is simply down to not being able to see your enemies at times (because the screen does not extend), random enemy patterns, and AWFUL CONTROLS. My God those controls were terrible. And the level design consists of 4-5 rectangular corridors per-level, with no variety whatsoever. Not to mention that despite there being over 20 weapons, the game revolves entirely around one-shotting enemies, and gets boring and repetitive by the third level. 

4) The length - There are a total of 20 levels in the game, each one lasting around 2 minutes. For a £6 asking price this is simply not enough to warrant a full price purchase. The main reason the game is tedious and difficult is to disguise its shallow gameplay and short length. 

This game is essentially a newsgrounds/miniclip flash game from 10 years ago, and i'm certain that within the next few years people will revisit this game and realise how overrated it was upon its release. 

The game was shit from the get go! 

• Like 1

I agree that while it's absolutely overrated (though people seem to forget that overrated and bad are two different things) and I didn't enjoy it at all, it does have its merits. The combat, for example, was done really well. It does a great job in making you actually think about your moves instead of going in guns blazing, and making you die in one hit makes you feel more like you're actually human instead of another Indestructable Video Game Protaganist. That said, dying because a guard on the other end of the long, straight hallway (that you can't see, because the game doesn't allow you to look that far away) killing you out of nowhere isn't fun, and you don't really learn anything.

Unfortunately, that's where I think the positives end. Soundtrack was so bad that I actually turned it off, art style was just another indie (aside from the heads during dialogue, which I found to be atrocious), writing was pretty bad (I read it online, for those wondering how I know what it's like despite not having gotten the trophy for beating it) and required you to spend potentially hours hunting pixels if you didn't use a guide to get a real conclusion. Not a good one, mind. Just a conclusion. Gameplay is all it has going for it, which isn't enough to satisfy me at all.

I thought the game was good. Gameplay is fast and fun, the soundtrack goes well with the gameplay and theres a lot of replayability. I didn't really care for the actual story, for me it's just there to connect the levels. An indie game like this, gameplay is more important than the story.

Edited by A-Brawl3r

Did someone get wound up? It looked to me like people were just sharing opinions for the most part. 

It really seemed to me like a majority of the post so far have been about how OP just isnt good at the game or how he is as someone else put it "Out of his mind" or something similar. People on this site are really protective of what they like and while thats all well and good. It makes for some really aggressive conversations for the rest of us.

More on topic. I personally agree that the game is over rated. I don't hate the game but i do dislike it. I'm *not* going around saying its the most overrated game ever or anything like that.  

E:*

Edited by killerJAZZ420

I disagree with your opinion, but i'm not so insecure that i won't be able to rest with the fact that somebody else isn't going to assure me that i have good taste.

I do get annoyed with these kinda threads though. You're only going to get 3 kinds of responses, people loudly agreeing with what you have to say in which case it just boils down to you and the other special snowflakes embarking on a hatetrain. That or people who loudly disagree with you which boils down to people yelling at each otherand not getting anywhere. Then there's the "Game X isn't as overrated as game Y, i hate that one" responses which just start the cycle again, resulting in an endless loop of hostility. There's ways to start discussions, but i don't think this attitude is going to get us anywhere.

• Like 3

I disagree with your opinion, but i'm not so insecure that i won't be able to rest with the fact that somebody else isn't going to assure me that i have good taste.

I do get annoyed with these kinda threads though. You're only going to get 3 kinds of responses, people loudly agreeing with what you have to say in which case it just boils down to you and the other special snowflakes embarking on a hatetrain. That or people who loudly disagree with you which boils down to people yelling at each otherand not getting anywhere. Then there's the "Game X isn't as overrated as game Y, i hate that one" responses which just start the cycle again, resulting in an endless loop of hostility. There's ways to start discussions, but i don't think this attitude is going to get us anywhere.

People deserve a variety of opinions regarding a game they may have a potential interest in purchasing. This game constantly gets praised, and the typical reason is because "it's challenging" and that "the soundtrack is good" (which I actually agree with, the game's soundtrack is the only highlight). I pointed out some flaws, and a few people agreed with me on them. 

I'll still never understand that one reply I got though, the guy telling me I shouldn't comment on the game because i didn't get A ranks on every level (could you believe, completing a game isn't enough for some people these days! They expect us to platinum everything in-sight!!). 

I don't think you get the full experience out of your 3 hours. Yes the story may be confusing, but the time you get it (notice the different dates before a mission in 1 and 2:Wrong Number and put them in the right order) you will be completely blown away how perfect this is all made. 

I'm sure you don't like it, because it seems like running through a colourful world killing people for no reason whatsoever. Give it a try, go for the plat, which will take you a good 20 hours depending on how good you are and you will not think its overrated.

it is one of my most favourite games, even though its simple. There is more to it, you just cant see it on playing "every level in two minutes".

and DUH the games soundtrack is just amazing

People deserve a variety of opinions regarding a game they may have a potential interest in purchasing. This game constantly gets praised, and the typical reason is because "it's challenging" and that "the soundtrack is good" (which I actually agree with, the game's soundtrack is the only highlight). I pointed out some flaws, and a few people agreed with me on them. 

I'll still never understand that one reply I got though, the guy telling me I shouldn't comment on the game because i didn't get A ranks on every level (could you believe, completing a game isn't enough for some people these days! They expect us to platinum everything in-sight!!). 

i agree that there's room for differing opinions and that having a healthy discussion about videogames it important. As you can probably see yourself, this discussion is far from healthy. Try going in more like "Let's talk about Hotline Miami" than "This is garbage fuck you if you liked it" (which i'm assuming was not your intention, but keep in mind that people are going to get defensive), that way you'll get more sophisticated responses.

It really seemed to me like a majority of the post so far have been about how OP just isnt good at the game or how he is as someone else put it "Out of his mind" or something similar. People on this site are really protective of what they like and while thats all well and good. It makes for some really aggressive conversations for the rest of us.

More on topic. I personally agree that the game is over rated. I don't hate the game but i do dislike it. I'm *not* going around saying its the most overrated game ever or anything like that.  

E:*

Yeah. I read more closely, and people were getting in a bit more dander than I initially noticed.

• 3 months later...

Dude just doesn't like the game.

That's okay.

I liked it, but it's not for everyone.

Thank goodness that we live in a world where the indie scene is thriving and vital enough to cater to so many different diverse tastes and types.

In the bad old days, all games were big-price, in box games and people couldn't drop 6 bucks to try something new - you had to spend 50 and hope to god that you could squeeze some enjoyment out of the game. That meant that unusual ideas like your Hotline Miami's, your Limbo's, Braid's, Flower's, Lone Survivor's etc. Would not get made, as they wouldn't sell.

Look at it that way - you don't like it, but it exists as a result of market conditions that may well lead to a bunch of games you love that wouldn't exist any other way.

And smile :)

• Like 4

• 7 months later...

Dude just doesn't like the game.

That's okay.

I liked it, but it's not for everyone.

Thank goodness that we live in a world where the indie scene is thriving and vital enough to cater to so many different diverse tastes and types.

In the bad old days, all games were big-price, in box games and people couldn't drop 6 bucks to try something new - you had to spend 50 and hope to god that you could squeeze some enjoyment out of the game. That meant that unusual ideas like your Hotline Miami's, your Limbo's, Braid's, Flower's, Lone Survivor's etc. Would not get made, as they wouldn't sell.

Look at it that way - you don't like it, but it exists as a result of market conditions that may well lead to a bunch of games you love that wouldn't exist any other way.

And smile :)

That's what you got in the NES and SNES days when you didn't have an Internet connection to check up on everyone commenting on the game you just bought. Chrono Trigger was priced at nearly $100, but for how epic that game was it was worth it.

Hotline Miami would of NEVER been released in the early 1990s because of asswipes like Joseph Leiberman banning the game on the spot. It was Mortal Kombat and Doom that brought in the ESRB ratings. These days however games have a lot more free reign.

• 11 months later...

Given this game lots more tries and revisits since getting it years ago on ps plus.  Tried it on every system multiple times and just recently came back to it again on the vita to give it one last go and my opinion hasn’t changed.  This is hands down one of the shittest games I have ever played!  Some of the worst controls I’ve ever seen, bullshit deaths from some prick off the screen completely out of sight, trying to target enemies hardly ever works, cheap AI….  Furthest I got last time was stage 7 this time I got to 4 and had enough.

Each to their own and all that, opinions vary but its beyond me how anyone could enjoy playing this absolute piece of shit.  Can’t even begin to imagine how annoying it would be to try and plat this crap!

Edited by MIKEY-L-666

18 hours ago, Ptirle said:

Don't hate the game if you don't know how to play it... even still, if the atmosphere didn't get you in first couple of levels than stop playing it whatsoever. 

I like the theme of it and thought the music was great and wouldn't have come back to it if I'd hated everything about it.  The gameplay however is woeful.  Also I fully understand how the game mechanics work, just a shame that they are so shit.  It doesn't matter if its an indie game or a top price AAA game, if the gameplay mechanics are bad its going to be an unenjoyable game.

18 hours ago, Rune2303 said:

Well .. damn 1f61f.png I respect your opinion and all, but I honestly never understood what you people hope to achieve by starting threads with words like "overrated" and "shittiest game ever". I mean its kind of like going into the middle of Times Square and shouting " I hate gays", sure you might get some approving looks from other random homophobic dudes but odds are the masses are just gonna drown you in hate before you know it. Rough example, I know but you get the point 1f605.png 

Personally I found the game to be just fine (not the best game I've ever played but I certainly did not regret playing it). I loved the music and found the gameplay addicting enough to stick through enough trial and error until I actually started kicking ass in the game. That was where the fun really began. But hey not like my opinion holds anymore value than yours sooo ... just put the game down man. It simply wasn't your cup of tea and there is no shame in that, game certainly isn't for everyone 1f642.png

Its a shame because I love how it looked and the music is great.  The gameplay mechanics and offscreen deaths are just horseshit.  Maybe i'm missing something lol.

9 hours ago, MIKEY-L-666 said:

I like the theme of it and thought the music was great and wouldn't have come back to it if I'd hated everything about it.  The gameplay however is woeful.  Also I fully understand how the game mechanics work, just a shame that they are so shit.  It doesn't matter if its an indie game or a top price AAA game, if the gameplay mechanics are bad its going to be an unenjoyable game.

Its a shame because I love how it looked and the music is great.  The gameplay mechanics and offscreen deaths are just horseshit.  Maybe i'm missing something lol.

Nah I don't think you're missing something, I honestly believe we're simply dealing with a perfect example of "different strokes for different folks". ? Personally I'm just sad to hear you didn't have the same experience with the game that I (and a lot of other people as well it would seem) did ? It is was it is though. Hopefully you've moved on to other games more to your liking by now ?