Resident-Zelda

This is potentially the most overrated game I have ever played.

88 posts in this topic

On 08/09/2017 at 8:50 PM, Rune2303 said:

Nah I don't think you're missing something, I honestly believe we're simply dealing with a perfect example of "different strokes for different folks". 1f60c.png Personally I'm just sad to hear you didn't have the same experience with the game that I (and a lot of other people as well it would seem) did 1f61e.png It is was it is though. Hopefully you've moved on to other games more to your liking by now 1f642.png

Gave it one least go.

Got through until the end (I didn't want to let it beat me).  If it wasn't for the horrible annoying gameplay I'd love it but it just takes out any enjoyment at all.

I like a wide variety of games and its not like there is any shortage.  This was a freebie so happy days, who knows i might come back to it one day and master the fooker....... Doubt it though haha, took all my patience to just get through the levels let alone A+ grading them.

On 10/19/2015 at 9:06 PM, Resident-Zelda said:

Hotline Miami seems to be one of the most beloved modern indie titles of recent years. So I gave it a play through. This game was HORRIBLE, and I know for a fact i'm not alone with that opinion;

1) The story - So after being told about the game's mysteriously atmospheric story, I was anticipating something highly encapsulating, but in the end the story has little to no depth to it whatsoever. It's not that I need to have an understanding for the main characters motives, but we know next to nothing about him in the first place (which works in some cases, but here falls flat because of the other flaws in the game). 

2) The graphics - I love this trend of modern style indie retro games, Scott Pilgrim is a great example. This game is just dull to look at. It's hard to actually make the objects onscreen, and the characters themselves seem far to small. 

3) Gameplay - Now this is where the game get's shitty. The game itself is somewhat difficult, which i'm okay with in regards to the one-life aspect, but the reason for the games difficulty is simply down to not being able to see your enemies at times (because the screen does not extend), random enemy patterns, and AWFUL CONTROLS. My God those controls were terrible. And the level design consists of 4-5 rectangular corridors per-level, with no variety whatsoever. Not to mention that despite there being over 20 weapons, the game revolves entirely around one-shotting enemies, and gets boring and repetitive by the third level. 

4) The length - There are a total of 20 levels in the game, each one lasting around 2 minutes. For a £6 asking price this is simply not enough to warrant a full price purchase. The main reason the game is tedious and difficult is to disguise its shallow gameplay and short length. 

This game is essentially a newsgrounds/miniclip flash game from 10 years ago, and i'm certain that within the next few years people will revisit this game and realise how overrated it was upon its release. 

I know i am late to the party here, but let me tell you that Hotline Miami has one of the best soundtracks in entertainment in general. Not just video games but entertainment as a whole. For 6£ you get some of the best songs playing. Not a bad deal mate. 

I agree, this one was terrible. I was suckered into a purchase because of the hype. However it was NOT worth whatever little I paid. I've played vastly better top-down shooters. The gameplay for each level boils down to make a noise, funnel everything through a door, hope you have enough ammo, and pray none of them revive to get you. After maybe 5 levels I was all 'screw this'. Anyone looking at my card can see I rarely quit a game early but this was on the list.

On 19.10.2015 at 11:38 PM, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Firstly, I loved the game despite it making me punch a hole in a door at school

I broke my living room table out of anger on my way to the platinum. Still, it's one of the best indie/download/whatever games I've ever played.

Whoever gets the platinum in this has the patience of a saint. That's all I'm saying.

On 2/26/2018 at 9:19 AM, MidnightDragon said:

Whoever gets the platinum in this has the patience of a saint. That's all I'm saying.

It is definitely a pain in the ass. I don't think I would play #2 even if they gave it to us for PS+.

Hotline Miami is the king of twitch-shooter gameplay. If anything, the game deserves more hype. I've never played a game that did split second do-or-die combat better than HM. Teleglitch tried to imitate and it was okayish. Devil's Daggers was sort of similar but it was a score attack in first person. It's hard for me to pin down something that does this sort of combat. It plays out more like something like Super Meat Boy or Dustforce or something like that. And I think it's absolutely excellent

I hate excessive video game violence. I try to avoid games in general where the primary mode of progression is to kill anything, everything, or specific things, unless there is a compelling narrative reason for doing so. It’s just not fun for me, and I’ve chosen to celebrate games that offer alternatives over the last few years. Except....

I absolutely love Hotline Miami. I put off playing it for so long because it was basically a checklist of things I dislike in video games, but I bought it a few years ago now and it still resonates with me despite having not touched it since my first playthrough. I never read reviews until after I play a game, so I didn’t know how interesting and consequential the story is, or how amazing the music is, or how completely beautiful everything flows. It’s like the perfect arcade game, simple with hidden depth like the original coin-op classics, but it teaches you its mechanics without punishment and lets you go at your own pace.

I appreciate it not being for everyone, but it’s one of those games I always try to recommend to people I know like a well-woven yarn. I’m just scared to start HM2: Wrong Number, which I bought day one, as I would be devestated with it not recapturing the magic. I will one day, I suspect.

On 10/19/2015 at 4:13 PM, Ghost-TeamX said:

You're probably writing this in frustration. Go get the platinum and then we'll talk again.

Just got the plat (just because I am a completionist) and still think this game is a pile of s***, did not enjoy a single second of it; maybe because I am not a masochist and don't like to be cheap-killed every 3 seconds by random IA shooting me off-screen. One thing is for sure: I am staying the hell away from the sequel, this is my first and last Hotline Miami.

Trophy hunters: be wary of this game, you will like it or HATE it, there's no middle ground with Hotline Miami. I recommend watching a few casual videos before putting this on your backlog.

10 minutes ago, grbolivar said:

Just got the plat (just because I am a completionist) and still think this game is a pile of s***, did not enjoy a single second of it; maybe because I am not a masochist and don't like to be cheap-killed every 3 seconds by random IA shooting me off-screen. One thing is for sure: I am staying the hell away from the sequel, this is my first and last Hotline Miami.

Trophy hunters: be wary of this game, you will like it or HATE it, there's no middle ground with Hotline Miami. I recommend watching a few casual videos before putting this on your backlog.

Three words: Git gud scrub. 

God, i love whenever this thread pops up again. If anything, Hotline Miami is insanely underrated.

27 minutes ago, grbolivar said:

Just got the plat

16 minutes ago, WorldsBestSpy said:

🙄

Just now, fastflowdaman said:

1f644.png

Getting the plat =/= good. I may get the platinum for, let's say, Mortal Kombat but I am in no way aactually good just mediocre.

3 minutes ago, WorldsBestSpy said:

Getting the plat =/= good. I may get the platinum for, let's say, Mortal Kombat but I am in no way aactually good just mediocre.

BS. Obviously he "got gud" if he achieved the plat. Ofc in a game like MK there will always be someone better, as in HM as well. Still he was able to plat the game.

Also, "git gud" is an expression used by try-hards and bigmouths. Plus the "scrub" is completely unnecessary and uncalled for.

One more thing, I love Hotline Miami.

5 minutes ago, fastflowdaman said:

BS. Obviously he "got gud" if he achieved the plat. Ofc in a game like MK there will always be someone better, as in HM as well. Still he was able to plat the game.

Also, "git gud" is an expression used by try-hards and bigmouths. Plus the "scrub" is completely unnecessary and uncalled for.

One more thing, I love Hotline Miami.

Its all fun and games dude.. always got to make it about you. Nothing personnel scrub 😎

So now you have to become the best player in the world before you can decide if a game is good or not? Good one :)

I am not on either side. It's a game, I played it for a bit and did enjoy some of it. At no point has it blown me away yet, nor has it appalled me or thrown me into a fit of rage. At some point I put it down and I have not picked it up again yet. Maybe I will, maybe I won't. Mehness.

On 10/19/2015 at 4:06 PM, Resident-Zelda said:

Hotline Miami seems to be one of the most beloved modern indie titles of recent years. So I gave it a play through. This game was HORRIBLE, and I know for a fact i'm not alone with that opinion;

Awwww Helll NAW

And @Toogie53 with the thumbs up support, my heart is shattered.

giphy.gif

Edit: Omg this post is from 2015. I have aided in the foul art of Necromancy... X_X

Lol TheYuriG post in this thread ;D

Excuse me I need to wash out my eyes with Chlorox.

And for the record, this game rules. And if you don't like it, at least the music is awesome.

Love that cowbell!

Edited by It Is Time To Oil Up

@It Is Time To Oil Up Haha. I'm sorry I hurt your heart 😂. I honestly don't remember clicking the like on that. Although, I plan to, I haven't actually played Hotline Miami before. I don't have an actual opinion on the game. I admit though that Hotline Miami doesn't look particularly fun to me and seems like it has a lot of hype. I must have just been agreeing that it feels over-hyped. I think sometimes you can't see why something is fun in trailers and let's plays. You kind of have to play to feel it for yourself. I recently played Transistor and I think that is one that was way more fun than it looked from the outside. Once I actually play it, I'll come back and admit how wrong I was.

Just now, Toogie53 said:

@It Is Time To Oil Up Haha. I'm sorry I hurt your heart 1f602.png. I honestly don't remember clicking the like on that. Although, I plan to, I haven't actually played Hotline Miami before. I don't have an actual opinion on the game. I admit though that Hotline Miami doesn't look particularly fun to me and seems like it has a lot of hype. I must have just been agreeing that it feels over-hyped. I think sometimes you can't see why something is fun in trailers and let's plays. You kind of have to play to feel it for yourself. I recently played Transistor and I think that is one that was way more fun than it looked from the outside. Once I actually play it, I'll come back and admit how wrong I was.

Haha just messing with ya Captain <3

Transistor is a really great game, music and game play. And not too hard to plat.

Use this https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=365467743

Okay try out Hotline Miami in the future :)

Man - tough crowd. I know this is an old thread that was just resurrected, but I happened to like Hotline Miami, quite a bit.

I agree that the story stuff was stupid, but that's not the fault of the game, but rather the community that insisted on adding a bunch of narrative to what was essentially an arcade game. But the gameplay was tight, and reminded me a great deal of arcade games of the past (where the point was to get you putting in those quarters). And man, that soundtrack!

I liked this game a lot.  Every single aspect of it.  The story, the gameplay, the visuals, and of course the music.  One of the best soundtracks to a game, IMO. That said, this game isn't for everyone and definitely not everyone will enjoy it. The story is pretty nuts too especially if/when you play the second one. 

2 hours ago, WorldsBestSpy said:

Ew, you actually have to "git gud" to get the plat, those A+ grades are not getting by themselves. People seem to confuse "git gud" with "master the game until you can beat it blindfolded, then you will like it".

Edited by grbolivar

I have a love/hate relationship with the game. I started it on the PS4/Ps3 on my main account, and I absolutely hated it. I couldn't stand the controls on the console version. I went back about 9 months later and beat it, without the alternate ending and loved it. This was on the vita. I found the Vita controls so much better and a lot easier to play with. I just recently picked it back up on vita to increase my trophy percentage from 47% to 82% and still loved it. I have picked it back up on my alternate account (StephenSan184), and am going to get it past 82%. Hoping for at least 90% I will not get A+ on every level. I don't have time for that nonsense, nor do I care about getting the A+'s

Overall I would rate the game a solid 8.5 out 10.

11 hours ago, WorldsBestSpy said:

That was intentional dude. Let it go already

Yeah of course 😏

Stop embarrassing yourself. Your posts so far have been awkward enough already.