This is potentially the most overrated game I have ever played.

DrasticAutomatic

Wow this thread is a bit old.

Anyway is here where the haters can post, rite? Well, I loathe this game because for some reason I think the devs had mouse & keyboard in mind for this game. Having to use the sticks give an unnecesary added difficulty with less precission.

• 1 year later...
On 10/19/2015 at 1:06 PM, Resident-Zelda said:

Hotline Miami seems to be one of the most beloved modern indie titles of recent years. So I gave it a play through. This game was HORRIBLE, and I know for a fact i'm not alone with that opinion

Definitely not alone, what a crap game.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone, 

Got the double-pack for less than £4 the other week. Just tried the game and the controls were horrible, but then after the tutorial and you go to your apartment and the controls feel fucking awesome. Then you start the first mission and the controls go to shit again. Now I paid less than £4 so not down in the dumps if I never play it again, but is it possible to just use the one stick to move and spin like you can in your apartment when on missions? I honestly don't see no point in why they integrated the second stick anways as its fucking wrecks it if your'e not a big player of this type of game. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm not really a big fan of indie games. I have a history of quitting it after couple of hours because I got bored. And guess what I love this game ) Gameplay is great the music is awesome and the story is pretty nice. I was enjoing plaing it for the first time and after a couple years I returned to it and get the platinum and still loving it ) One of the best indie games of all times I'd say.

• 4 months later...

I can get some of your problems with this game - not everything is for everyone, but I can't disagree more. I'd honestly rate Hotline Miami among my fifteen favourite games, I think it's quite close to a perfect twin-stick experience, if it weren't for one or two frustratingly designed levels. 

Also, as a side note, I hate the idea that the levels being '2 minutes each' equates to the game having a total lack of content for price. You ain't finishing every level on this game in one go, I can say that with confidence. Hell, there were a few levels, like Assault and Deadline that took me twenty to thirty minutes each.

Also, I'm probably biased, since I nabbed the plat yesterday morning.

This game is so shittly made by a Swedish idiot who couldn't make a game to save his life. Rather than actually having the mechanics work and the gameplay be decent, it skates by with terrible hit detection and enemy AI being invincible at times (see any time you have to deal with the dogs). Enemies can hit you with pinpoint accuracy while you hope you hit one.

Not to mention there's no midlevel savepoints.

Hotline Miami 2 is more of the same but worse and the guy really didn't know what he was doing. Notice he hasn't made any other games, probably because he realizes he sucks.

Hotline Miami is tight. One of my favourites; got so much enjoyment out of it on my Vita during train trips. It's pretty hard though and certainly not for everybody but I had a hell of a time with it.

Oh and the soundtrack is one of the best. Knock Knock still gives me chills.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2018-03-06 at 4:46 AM, Ekir said:

for some reason I think the devs had mouse & keyboard in mind for this game. Having to use the sticks give an unnecesary added difficulty with less precission.

I’ve barely just started this game but so far I am enjoying it a lot. However, I do agree with this take so much! The controls can be really frustrating at times because it feels like the game is demanding a level of precision from you that is really difficult to achieve with a controller and analog sticks. Right away I noticed it just felt like this game was designed with a mouse & keyboard in mind (not sure if that’s true or not but that’s how it feels). Idk if I’m just bad either but it feels like the hit detection in this game can be really finicky sometimes. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
On 12/19/2019 at 4:11 AM, KilledByMatty said:

that title would go out to the last of us. terribly overrated game 

So damn true. Definitely didn’t deserve game of the decade. I’d say skyrim, gta5, minecraft, or rdr2 did just because the effects they had on the industry. And for the whole father figure and young girl surviving the apocalypse thing I though walking dead season 1 did that 100x better

It was first released on Windows so probably was designed for a mouse and keyboard. 9.55% of players seem to have overcome this handicap however and platted it so, you know, it isn't that big a deal. In terms of overrated, each to their own, it's a perfectly good top down shooter with some difficult (but not as difficult as some people make out on this particular thread) parts to it and a story that was weird enough to gain cult status. I enjoyed it a lot and the sequel. I do find it somewhat humourous however, that people shout it's overrated but then state several of the most genuinely overrated games of all time as more 'worthy' games, GTA5  and realistic horse testicle simulator RDR2. 

Edited by Artty44