Tales of Project Platinum [Closed]

TheFinalEmblem

After 6 months of procrastination and a month of actual work, I've cleared Tales of Phantasia. What a ride this was.

I was putting off the final boss for as long as I could, but after beating every sidequest and optional bosses, there was no other choice but finish.

The story was good (I can see where is the "deconstruction" aspect comes from now, though here, at the start of the series, it's pretty low-key), the skits played a big role in the character development and I now think that the removal of them from the localized PS1 Tales entries was the dumbest desision ever. 

As for the characters, I failed to like Mint, initially irritating Arche grew on me as the story went forward (thanks to the dynamic between her and Chester), and Klarth is :awesome:.

With Star Ocean holding me down I can't plunge into the next installment right away, but I can at least prepare for the eventual Destiny playthrough... and so, I have a question: How much the PS1 version of Destiny was cut? 

Could you add me please? Xillia 1+2 are complete on PS3 and working on ToS Chronicles. Also a question: I have Tales of Zestiria complete on steam. Does that count here? x.x

Alright, you've been added. As for if the Steam version counts, I'll need to check. I know someone asked something similar with the 360 version of Vesperia, but that wasn't accepted because the game was different and had different achievements, but I'll take a look at Zestiria on Steam, as I don't think it's different at all, so if it ends up being similar in the achievements section, I might be able to make an exception.

After 6 months of procrastination and a month of actual work, I've cleared Tales of Phantasia. What a ride this was.

I was putting off the final boss for as long as I could, but after beating every sidequest and optional bosses, there was no other choice but finish.

The story was good (I can see where is the "deconstruction" aspect comes from now, though here, at the start of the series, it's pretty low-key), the skits played a big role in the character development and I now think that the removal of them from the localized PS1 Tales entries was the dumbest desision ever. 

As for the characters, I failed to like Mint, initially irritating Arche grew on me as the story went forward (thanks to the dynamic between her and Chester), and Klarth is :awesome:.

With Star Ocean holding me down I can't plunge into the next installment right away, but I can at least prepare for the eventual Destiny playthrough... and so, I have a question: How much the PS1 version of Destiny was cut? 

Nice, congrats on finishing it. I have actually never finished Phantasia, I always stopped right before the final boss. I think I might import the Full Voice version for the PSP from Japan sometime. Huh, I never realized they took skits from PS1 version, that is a huge impact on character development. lol, I never found a problem with any of the characters, but Arche and Klarth were definitely two of my faves as I always kept them in the team. As for your last question, I myself can't answer it since I've never played it before.

Alright, you've been added. As for if the Steam version counts, I'll need to check. I know someone asked something similar with the 360 version of Vesperia, but that wasn't accepted because the game was different and had different achievements, but I'll take a look at Zestiria on Steam, as I don't think it's different at all, so if it ends up being similar in the achievements section, I might be able to make an exception.

Alright thank you. It looks the same as far as the trophies go and i don't know of any bonus content exclusively for steam.

Nice, congrats on finishing it. I have actually never finished Phantasia, I always stopped right before the final boss. I think I might import the Full Voice version for the PSP from Japan sometime. Huh, I never realized they took skits from PS1 version, that is a huge impact on character development. lol, I never found a problem with any of the characters, but Arche and Klarth were definitely two of my faves as I always kept them in the team. As for your last question, I myself can't answer it since I've never played it before.

Well, Tales of Destiny had all skits taken out and Tales of Eternia lost a huge chunk of them during the localization. That's why I was trying to decide if the PS1 Destiny is worth playing...

After some research, I've discovered that the Destiny's remake for PS2, while leaving the core story intact, changed a lot of other story related things around, like character personalities, party dynamics, etc, turning it into something akin to the alternate timeline (which is the one taken as canon in the Tales chronology, so this makes it double important), so now I'm leaning towards playing both PS1 and PS2 versions...

So far, I've planned out my route as follows:

Tales of Destiny - Tales of Eternia - Tales of Destiny: Director's Cut - Tales of Destiny 2

And as for importing Phantasia, look into the Tales of Phantasia Cross \ Narikiri Dungeon Cross bundle. 

Well, Tales of Destiny had all skits taken out and Tales of Eternia lost a huge chunk of them during the localization. That's why I was trying to decide if the PS1 Destiny is worth playing...

After some research, I've discovered that the Destiny's remake for PS2, while leaving the core story intact, changed a lot of other story related things around, like character personalities, party dynamics, etc, turning it into something akin to the alternate timeline (which is the one taken as canon in the Tales chronology, so this makes it double important), so now I'm leaning towards playing both PS1 and PS2 versions...

So far, I've planned out my route as follows:

Tales of Destiny - Tales of Eternia - Tales of Destiny: Director's Cut - Tales of Destiny 2

And as for importing Phantasia, look into the Tales of Phantasia Cross \ Narikiri Dungeon Cross bundle. 

Geez, that sucks a hell of a whole lot, not sure what came over the people localizing it to make a decision to take the skits out and stuff. Maybe I should try and get into the older Tales games myself since I didn't play anything after Phantasia until Symphonia, seems interesting. And alright, I'll look into it if I decide to import it.

Geez, that sucks a hell of a whole lot, not sure what came over the people localizing it to make a decision to take the skits out and stuff. Maybe I should try and get into the older Tales games myself since I didn't play anything after Phantasia until Symphonia, seems interesting. And alright, I'll look into it if I decide to import it.

Actually, it's pretty logical. The Tales at the times of Destiny and Eternia was a very niche series, and their localizations had a very little budget compared to the Tales of today. Skits in the Tales games are voice acted, and dubbing needs money... and because at the time of Destiny the localization teem didn't have the money to hire the voice actors, the skits were cut from the game altogether.

Fast forward to Eternia, Destiny sold well, so the demand for the Tales games was a bit higher, so the Tales of Eternia got renamed to the Tales of Destiny II (ouch), and the tiny part of the skits (that is, only navigational ones, as they've required the least effort to dub) was kept, while the more important Tent-triggered ones were, again, cut out, because again, costs, costs, costs. 

Think back to the reason so many pre-PS3 era JRPGs stayed in Japan - they have loads of text to translate, and this needs time, effort, money, eh, screw that, what if it won't sell well? Also, some of these JRPGs touched on the risky themes, like religion *cough* Black\Matrix *cough* and we can't have that overseas, nope, nope, nope. 

Actually, it's pretty logical. The Tales at the times of Destiny and Eternia was a very niche series, and their localizations had a very little budget compared to the Tales of today. Skits in the Tales games are voice acted, and dubbing needs money... and because at the time of Destiny the localization teem didn't have the money to hire the voice actors, the skits were cut from the game altogether.

Fast forward to Eternia, Destiny sold well, so the demand for the Tales games was a bit higher, so the Tales of Eternia got renamed to the Tales of Destiny II (ouch), and the tiny part of the skits (that is, only navigational ones, as they've required the least effort to dub) was kept, while the more important Tent-triggered ones were, again, cut out, because again, costs, costs, costs. 

Think back to the reason so many pre-PS3 era JRPGs stayed in Japan - they have loads of text to translate, and this needs time, effort, money, eh, screw that, what if it won't sell well? Also, some of these JRPGs touched on the risky themes, like religion *cough* Black\Matrix *cough* and we can't have that overseas, nope, nope, nope. 

Okay, yeah, that explains a lot. Still though, about taking the skits out because they were voiced; that didn't affect Symphonia in any way. The skits were voiced in the Japanese version of the game, but when it came out in the US, they weren't voiced, but they still kept them in there, just w/o the voices, so I find that a bit odd. But then again, as you said, it was more niche back than, by the time Symphonia came around, I'm sure they had more of a budget and time to work with. Yeah, I knew the whole thing with the renaming just to sell it, and then name confusion came around when there was actually a Tales of Destiny 2. Localization doesn't tend to think ahead on this stuff, do they? As long as it sells, I guess. Yeah, it sucks that some things weren't localized due to "risky" themes and such, but that is the world we live in.

Okay, yeah, that explains a lot. Still though, about taking the skits out because they were voiced; that didn't affect Symphonia in any way. The skits were voiced in the Japanese version of the game, but when it came out in the US, they weren't voiced, but they still kept them in there, just w/o the voices, so I find that a bit odd. 

This is because the skits in PS1 games were very hard to sub or something along these lines, so they couldn't even provide the text translation.

The fans after many, many hardships, managed to sub everything in Phantasia, starting with skits and ending with battle quotes. This aspect of translation took the longest time to finish, so I guess cracking the code to insert the subtitles is an extremely hard work indeed, especially when taking into the account the fact that the Japanese version didn't have any subtitles to begin with...

Anyway, I've hopped straight into the original Tales of Destiny... and shortly after starting the game, stayed for minutes and minutes on the title screen. The music... man, the music... instant goosebumps... and instant depression. The title screen music is the first thing you hear, and it sort of sets the tone of the story even before you hit the New Game... and with a start like this, I'm not sure that anything happy waits for me down this path.

The localization feels rough around the edges after the excellence that is PP's translation of Phantasia, but it's good, especially compared to the horror-fest that is the Legend of Dragoon's "localization". Yes, there are ocassional typos (like "petrafication"), love for upper case letters, and the eternal problem of "Short Sword" turning into the "S.Sword" (hello there, Breath of Fire), because fixing the character limit is a lot of code work.

On the topic of skits, I've planned to use the YouTube vids, as there is a nice playlist with all the skits, but as I've went through the story, I've quickly discovered that only three videos out of nearly thirty were subbed in English... well, it's the translation time again...

This is because the skits in PS1 games were very hard to sub or something along these lines, so they couldn't even provide the text translation.

The fans after many, many hardships, managed to sub everything in Phantasia, starting with skits and ending with battle quotes. This aspect of translation took the longest time to finish, so I guess cracking the code to insert the subtitles is an extremely hard work indeed, especially when taking into the account the fact that the Japanese version didn't have any subtitles to begin with...

Anyway, I've hopped straight into the original Tales of Destiny... and shortly after starting the game, stayed for minutes and minutes on the title screen. The music... man, the music... instant goosebumps... and instant depression. The title screen music is the first thing you hear, and it sort of sets the tone of the story even before you hit the New Game... and with a start like this, I'm not sure that anything happy waits for me down this path.

The localization feels rough around the edges after the excellence that is PP's translation of Phantasia, but it's good, especially compared to the horror-fest that is the Legend of Dragoon's "localization". Yes, there are ocassional typos (like "petrafication"), love for upper case letters, and the eternal problem of "Short Sword" turning into the "S.Sword" (hello there, Breath of Fire), because fixing the character limit is a lot of code work.

On the topic of skits, I've planned to use the YouTube vids, as there is a nice playlist with all the skits, but as I've went through the story, I've quickly discovered that only three videos out of nearly thirty were subbed in English... well, it's the translation time again...

Ah, alright. It's nice that there are fans out there that work hard on doing stuff themselves for things that we'd never otherwise see an official release of again, but damn, yeah, that must be hard inserting subtitles into something that doesn't even have it originally.

Yeah, that song does sound a bit depressing. That's good to hear about the localization, though. And yeah, it's a PS1 game, so I would expect some limitations to be there because of text, since you can display more with fewer symbols in Japanese than you can in English, so it limits us. BoF is definitely one of those games that had to do that, I've been playing the SNES version of BoF II, and abbreviations all around, haha.

Good to know that you can watch youtube videos for the skits, but not having all the videos subbed in English sucks. Well, here's hoping that you enjoy Tales of Destiny.

*hands up*

Sign me up for Sylph. I've gotten a platinum in Tales of Xillia. So close in some others, but lots of tedious trophies. T_T Best of luck to everybody else! 

Alright, you've been added. I can see that you are very close in some of the other games, especially Symphonia, which is probably the biggest pain of them all. Hopefully you'll get back to them and earn the plats.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't move up but I got the plat for Berseria =)

lmao, I've been waiting for you ever since it came out. Nice job, you'll be staying in the Platinum rank once Berseria releases in the west... in 2017. The wait is killing me. Also, you should totally make a guide for the game so once it comes out here I won't have to do any real work :ninja:

Edited by TheFinalEmblem
  • Like 1

lmao, I've been waiting for you ever since it came out. Nice job, you'll be staying in the Platinum rank once Berseria releases in the west... in 2017. The wait is killing me. Also, you should totally make a guide for the game so once it comes out here I won't have to do any real work :ninja:

Hehe, your patience will be rewarded because the game is awesome (my favorite one since Graces f and Velvet is my favorite main character ever). Trophy wise the game is not too bad since you can only miss one thing (see all Mystic Artes, a guide just for that would be enough :P ). You can actually get the plat in one playthrough. It's long though, it took me 144 hours but I'm not fast, and I did two playthroughs for Grade Shop options (only Symphonia took me more time).

The wait for the next Tales game is going to kill me, they should release an HD port (Destiny Chronicles :') ) or Radiant Mythology 4 (my dream) while working on the new one.

Edited by Tales-of-Fandom

It's been a while and i haven't heard back from you yet, did you look into it?

Hehe, your patience will be rewarded because the game is awesome (my favorite one since Graces f and Velvet is my favorite main character ever). Trophy wise the game is not too bad since you can only miss one thing (see all Mystic Artes, a guide just for that would be enough :P ). You can actually get the plat in one playthrough. It's long though, it took me 144 hours but I'm not fast, and I did two playthroughs for Grade Shop options (only Symphonia took me more time).

The wait for the next Tales game is going to kill me, they should release an HD port (Destiny Chronicles :') ) or Radiant Mythology 4 (my dream) while working on the new one.

I'm so glad to hear that, I already have high hopes for the game since playing the JP demo and also watching the two episodes in the Zestiria X anime, I thought it was so good. Wow, out of all things, only the MA trophy is missable? You don't need to answer if it spoils anything, but I'm guessing that MAs can change as the game goes on or something? Or maybe some can only be seen in a specific battle? Either way, it's making more sense it's gold, haha.

144 hours, huh? Yeah, Symphonia took me longer, too, haha. I'll probably end up doing a 2nd playthrough, too, if only because I may miss the MA trophy, lol. But yeah, I really can't wait. Hope that an actual release date for the west comes soon since it's still listed as Q1 2017. So many things coming out Q1, but this takes the highest priority.

It's been a while and i haven't heard back from you yet, did you look into it?

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I looked over the achievement list of Zestiria and it is the exact same as the trophy list, nothing more, nothing less, so if you get the "Master of Zestiria" achievement, then I'll accept it in lieu of the platinum.

MA trophy is missable? You don't need to answer if it spoils anything, but I'm guessing that MAs can change as the game goes on or something? Or maybe some can only be seen in a specific battle? Either way, it's making more sense it's gold, haha.

It's nice that you think it's so convoluted, but I think it just means you mustn't miss any of the bosses' mystic artes. :giggle:

It's nice that you think it's so convoluted, but I think it just means you mustn't miss any of the bosses' mystic artes. :giggle:

lol, I didn't think about that. I forgot bosses sometimes had those. Well, Tales bosses usually love to unload those in battles after a certain point in HP, so I hope it won't be too hard to miss, unless you're crazy OP and kill them before they can get it out, which I fear might be my case because I do so much in those games.

lol, I didn't think about that. I forgot bosses sometimes had those. Well, Tales bosses usually love to unload those in battles after a certain point in HP, so I hope it won't be too hard to miss, unless you're crazy OP and kill them before they can get it out, which I fear might be my case because I do so much in those games.

They always have a tell when they're entering their hyper state, so it shouldn't be a problem. I already make an effort for every boss to hit me once with their MA, just so I can see what they look like.