Would you rather get your things new or used?

Zenpai

74 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather get your things new or used?

• Always new, unless it's too expensive, rare or has gone out of print.
    • I don't mind new if the price is right, otherwise, used.
    • Always used, leaves me more money to get more stuff!

Title says it all.

As for me, I get things new as much as possible. I really like my stuff in pristine condition and nearly everyone I know (and don't know) misuses their stuff. The descriptions of "used - like new" or "used - very good" are extremely misleading by my standards, because generally, what people mean is that it's in good shape (i.e. working) instead of actually indistinguishable from a brand new product.

I do make an exception for stuff that's pretty rare (and therefore expensive) or has gone out of print. I like my stuff new but not to the point of spending a fortune on it.

What about you guys?

• Like 2

Title says it all.

As for me, I get things new as much as possible. I really like my stuff in pristine condition and nearly everyone I know (and don't know) misuses their stuff. The descriptions of "used - like new" or "used - very good" are extremely misleading by my standards, because generally, what people mean is that it's in good shape (i.e. working) instead of actually indistinguishable from a brand new product.

I do make an exception for stuff that's pretty rare (and therefore expensive) or has gone out of print. I like my stuff new but not to the point of spending a fortune on it.

What about you guys?

I can tell you're a perfectionist just by looking at your PSN Profile ;)

I usually get new unless its a game that i feel its not worth 60$ (or 120$ - yes EA im looking at you).

Edited by PedrOYX
  • Like 1

I always want new. If you get used, you never know how the previous owner may've treated it. I once bought a preowned game from a local shop but it didn't work when I took it home and tried to play it on my PS2. Luckily I got a full refund in that occasion, but if buying online, which is far more common nowadays, it's not so easy.

Plus as Jrdemr said, I like to have things in good condition.

• Like 1

Hmm, what is the thing that most of people say?

Oh, yeah, you have to support developers.

I try as much as I can to get my games new, but no more pre-order or day 1 buy, I still have many wrapped games just collecting dust, now I just wait for a good deal, luckily I'm not a mp gamer, that helps me a lot to avoid the anxiety to buy games full price.

It really depends on what it is. 

Games:

New - Damn rare. If I feel like I'm going to get the absolute most of the game and I seriously enjoy the series then if I have the money or at least time to pay off a pre-order then yes I'll do this. Assassin's Creed and Uncharted are the only 2 series I've done this with since I pre-ordered Kingdom Hearts II almost a decade ago. (not including something like Rock Band or Guitar Hero where it's near impossible to find a good working instrument even if the game is bought new or used.)

Used - This is my go to for games. Mostly because I feel that with the "day one patch" companies generally don't deserve full price. Don't charge me full price for something I have to wait for you to still work on after I've bought it.

Systems:

Always new. I only ever bought a used Game Boy SP and while it still works it wasn't something I'd repeat. 

Books:

Here I go used. The series I collect from has near, or over, 200 books and they go back as far as 1984. So I don't have a choice really but to buy used. Usually they sell for a penny on amazon lol but it's the shipping that makes it around $5 a book. Which I'm ok with since it's better than $10 per book or even more for those that jack the prices. :P

Rare Items:

Difficult to say...if it's used chances are the person realizes it's value and has kept it in good condition. Then there are those that don't lol. I'd have to personally see this item in order to say if I'd buy used. New is probably gonna cost you your first born child so no.

• Like 1

It shouldn't be assumed everything used is in poor or worst condition than their default/new versions. Plenty of used games are just as good or nearly good as a new version of it, so buying everything new is not the only way to get a game in good or perfect condition.

With that said, it depends on a few things:

1. Game has to be good enough to be worth purchasing new. However, with any game, I prefer to have the case with its faithful boxart regardless of the game is bad or good.

2. The developers of the game usually need to have a good reputation. Different if a new studio was just formed and are in the testing waters.

3. The game and its price, new, has to match. If I find a game is too expensive (whether slightly or largely) for what its worth, I'll buy it used... or wait for a sale. The later one is what usually happens, at least that is when the developers who made the game are known for making good games, so that I support the company when they get my money for buying their game (new). If bad game and/or bad developers, it will be purchased used.

I always go for new unless it's hard to find, mainly if out of print, but even an used copy is very expensive if it's a good game (which it usually is for me, Tales of Vesperia, before it got reprinted on Xbox 360, was going for £60+ used over here), although even if it is rare to find, there is probably a digital version so I would go with that before I go with used.  All of my hardware is new, there is no question when it comes to that, I do not like buying used hardware.

I get new every time, if it costs me as much as a used copy. But with lower prices, and the occasional "Buy 2, Get 1 free" sales, I own quite a few preowned games. Some I'm happy with(Amazon, I can usually tell what I'm getting, and GameStop I can cherry pick in store), and some I'm not(it's always a gamble ordering from BestBuy...). 

I prefer New games even if I have to wait for the price to drop on newer games (just got Bloodborne for 30 brand new a few hours ago on Amazon). I've been burned by 'Used - Like New' on Amazon before (Got a blank case and a game disc when I bought A Crack In Time). Blu-rays help now with buying used games as they are a lot more resilient than DVDs ever were when it comes to scratches so every now and then I'll go into Gamestop to check out some of the older 2007-2009 era games as they're normally under 10 dollars used (Just got Ninja Gaiden Sigma 1 and 2 for 14 dollars total).

Games plummet in price so quickly now that having a decent backlog will help you waste time until they drop. Most of the games I desire don't have MP so it's not like they'll become useless after a certain amount of time.

PS2 is completely different. I'll buy Used because people scalp the shit out of even the mediocre games. I found myself lucky getting a brand new copy of Xenosaga 3 for only 40 dollars. God forbid if I want a new copy of Mana Khemia 2. Still hunting that game for something isn't in the 80s.

• Like 1

Really? I'm the first person to vote for used?  :P  I get 95% of my games from GameStop, so getting them used saves me some cash vs new, then -10% for my Pro membership, plus I get double reward points for used stuff. So that's an obvious choice for me. :D

I very rarely ever get things new on day 1 anymore, unless it was something I was waiting for a long time for (like Disgaea 5 :holy:).

Edited by Masamune_316