Hypothetically a New Sony Handheld Is Being Made..

Xel

Let's just presume that Sony are already making a new portable gaming system.

• What sort of games you would like to see on it?
  • Do you think it will have same specs as the PS4? so that 3rd party developers can port their games easily to the system with lesser cost.
  • What types of features will be added this time? (Triggers finally, maybe.. no?)
  • Is it gonna sell like hot cakes (In the west)?
  • What is it going to be called? "Vita 2" or something else?
  • Do you think they'll make proprietary memory cards this time too? 

• Like 1

• Do you think it will have same specs as the PS4? so that 3rd party developers can port their games easily to the system with lesser cost.
  • What types of features will be added this time? (Triggers finally, maybe.. no?)

• I just want real support from Sony. They made huge mistakes regarding some of the heavy hitter titles. If they had delayed the likes of Resistance: Burning Skies, CoD Declassified and even AC3: Liberations, They would've been much better games with good quality. It would've set off an effect to as the larger install base and higher software sales would get more support from Sony and other companies.
  • Not quite the same. Similar to the PS3 and the Vita, the handheld will be powerful but always weaker than its console counterpart. Even if some of the games were downgraded though, I wouldn't mind some ports.
  • Triggers. Definitely add those.
  • Probably not if this generation of gaming is to go by. Sony has almost completely lost faith in it and the gamers seem to hate the idea of buying another system even if it has good games. Instead everyone is just begging for the games to be ported to PS4 rather than actually go out and buy a Vita.
  • They should make it ironic like "PlayStation Morbid".
  • Very likely, yes. Just don't make them so damn expensive or include at least an 8GB memory card with every one of them
  • Like 3

You talking about the VITA 3000?

LgdkWH9.png

Well as long as it has good cheap memory card and gooooood battery life plus a VERY good screen, then... take my money.

But why do we need a PSP-neXt, when Vita is still doing fine, in first place?

The problem that Vita has is, that superficial people want the graphics of a PS4 on a handheld.

Probably this is a reason why Nintendo consoles are weaker and their handhelds more popular. The graphical difference isnt THAT obvious. Look at New Super Mario Bros 2 eg. But, on the other hand, I dont think Nintendo gamers would care for such unimportant things like graphics anyway... 

:)

Honestly, I can't even see them making a new handheld, at least for the foreseeable future. Making a near-PS4 portable would probably cost us an arm and a leg right now, the market has changed significantly with mobile gaming and the Vita still hasn't sold well enough. Nintendo I can see making a new handheld in the near future (pretty sure they will), but Sony probably won't.

However, the Vita is so powerful by handheld standards, I would totally believe it if it lasted two generations. All Sony needs to do is to produce more first-party exclusives and underwrite development for the platform so that more third-party developers, especially in the West, would invest in the console.

Actually, I seriously doubt Nintendo's next handheld would have more than half the power of a Vita. The system is incredibly powerful, has a lot of potential and I could see it lasting for a long time. Now it just needs to get over its reputation that it's only for fans of JRPG and indies. Basically - it needs to get some variety and AAA goodness (not that I'm much of a fan of AAA titles, but I hear those sell pretty well).

Added? No, I want stuff removed. (...) Make it play games, make it play games with a nice control setup, and stop there. No stupid gimmicks, no 3G that no one used, no stupid back touch screen, no normal touch screen, none of it. Sony, you can't compete with the phone market, so don't try. Just sell a simple game machine with nice graphics and controls, and you're set. You will never win, but that's the most practical way to survive.

This. This a billion times over. Hardware makers need to stop with all these gimmicks. Just give us good games with the regular controller setup we've loved since the days of the PS1 and we're good to go.

(Though the front touch screen can be pretty helpful for navigating the Vita's browser... that one can stay :) )

• Like 1

• 100% Japanese, 0% West :awesome:
  • Imo double PS3 specs is more viable
  • The only thing Vita is missing, mutlipleaccounting
  • What is west? :awesome:
  • Vita-tan too sugoi, I'm not worthy :awesome:
  • This is something Sony probably won't change, it would raise sales of the HW, but lowered sales of SW since jailbreaking would be just a matter of time

Still, why do we need a successor to the objectively (:awesome:) best HanaKana console? :D

• Like 3

Hypothetically if Microsoft released a hand held console tomorrow it would likely have many sports games, shooters and racers on it...

It would also likely sell by the truck load in the west, but not so much in the east.

Now if we reverse this you can see why the Vita does well in the east, but less so in the west.

Basically the games are what make the console, so by saying the Vita (which has a very healthy JP game catalogue) is not doing so well in the west is a bit 'no shit sherlock' and does not instantly mean it is doing badly overall.

Edited by JapanimeGamer

1. Video games would be nice on it :awesome: As long as there's something good, it'll be worth it. Whether it's amazing japanese games, fun indies, or blockbuster AAA titles, the system will entertain me.
  2. Probably not. It would need to be larger (WiiU size) and then it wouldn't really be a handheld, but an 80's laptop.
  3. None. I'd like to see the rear touch pad removed, but that's it. They might try to add a 3d element to compete with nintendo, but it would be a wasted effort imo.
  4. No. Unless they call it "Playstation Nintendo" the west won't be lining up to buy it.
  5. If they want it to sell in the west, see above name. It's more likely they'll try to name it something simple. I wouldn't be surprised if they called it Playstation Handheld and abbreviated it PSH.
  6. Kinda. I think the memory will be built in like the vita 2000 model has but won't have an option for additional memory cards. The models would come in 8GB, 32 GB, 64GB, and possibly higher depending on the capabilities of the time of release.
  • Like 1

My biggest complaints about the vita is the flash memory used. Had they gone with microSDXC or just SDXC, I would have had one already. SDXC can have soooo much space too... I think sandisk recently released a 0.5TB SDXC card....

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-512GB-Memory-SDSDXPA-512G-G46/dp/B00NP699ZI

And yes, I'm pretty sure this is just as fast as the Vita memory cards.

I don't care much about the touch screen, but I did like the old OLED screen. OLED is awesome! :P

Allow for more than one account on the system that can share games, because this allow you to share the console with someone you live with, and it allows you to have like a JP account for JP exclusive games and play them on your main account.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

What sort of games you would like to see on it?
Dating Sims.

Do you think it will have same specs as the PS4? so that 3rd party developers can port their games easily to the system with lesser cost.
If I could play PS4 games on the new handheld, that would be amazing. Something the Vita was never capable of doing.

What types of features will be added this time? (Triggers finally, maybe.. no?)
Yes, triggers. Actual handles. Morpheus or whatever the fuck it's called support. Joysticks in the place of thumb-sticks. A steering wheel complete with gas and break peddles. I'd like to be able to play driving/flight simulators on the go.

Is it gonna sell like hot cakes (In the west)?
It's going to sell like Atari Jaguar consoles.

What is it going to be called? "Vita 2" or something else?
PlayStation Portable 3.

Do you think they'll make proprietary memory cards this time too? 

Yeah, with DRM. No reformatting.

Edited by Nuttro93

Do you think it will have same specs as the PS4? so that 3rd party developers can port their games easily to the system with lesser cost.

What types of features will be added this time? (Triggers finally, maybe.. no?)

Is it gonna sell like hot cakes (In the west)?

What is it going to be called? "Vita 2" or something else?

Do you think they'll make proprietary memory cards this time too?

1. A balance of games from each side of the world, something like the PS4 got or something akin to the PSP.

2. That would be too expensive at the moment and I can't see that kind of technology coming down in pricing soon. 

3. Of course it would, not mega buster numbers but it could be a decent successor to the PSP line.

4. I think the "Vita" name is pretty awesome but with the way Sony handled it, I would change it either to the Playstation Nexus or Playstation Nexon

5. Yeah they would but with a twist. It will be priced according to the trends of business.

Features - I think they would aim to make a traditional handheld. 

Also to the person who compared MS to Sony, just stop. 

Edited by FlareXV

• 5 weeks later...

If another handheld came out by Sony...I would buy it eventually as long as it has Senran Kagura and a few good RPG's. Though I imagine JP will conquer once more with most of the games, and the pricy memory cards and gigantic screen size I won't be able to fit in my pocket will still be around. It might be called VITA2, I do like the name 'Vita' so hopefully they won't drop that...