This game should have been F2P

Super-Fly Spider-Guy

After playing for a month, I have zero issue with how they structured this.  I have already played over 100 on demand songs without paying a cent or having to grind.  In fact, I spent a lot of the in-game currency on guitar upgrades while working towards other trophies, or I could easily have played another 50-100 songs.  Certainly it is not for everyone, and that is OK, but I think the vast majority of players would have fun with what they have created.

However, the on disc songs are terrible "guitar" songs.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm so glad that I managed to get this for £40!

I think it's worth it as you get an updated library and think the GHTV section is done really well. As you earn coins all the time and get rewarded with free plays for mastering certain songs or hitting certain levels I dont think the on demand section is a problem at all. You should never have to spend a penny playing normally and I think playing songs you dont know or normally wouldnt choose is an extra challenge in itself. It's fun to say the least :) 

Picked it up for only 60 c:

I wish they did something with the Gold Stars you earn

Like "Earn all the stars in a song, you get 1 free Play"
They're kinda useless at this point

Or if you win a Rival match, get a play (Whenever they fix and bring that function back)

Or if you get to Level 20, give us something to keep the plays going...

For now the 3 per day thing isnt doing much

• 1 month later...

I owe you thanks, spider-guy. I had thought to jump back into rhythm games with this one. But this model seems like complete crap for what I want out of a GH game (and I've played a lot of them).

What do you want out of a guitar hero game? I've played basically every main series one and almost every rock band since 2, and I was completely fine with the setup of the game. I've played this a considerable amount more than I played Rock Band 4.

• 2 weeks later...

...or at least, had an F2P component. 

Alright, so if you've played this game yet, moreso, the "GH TV" part, then you'll probably agree with me. If not, here's a run down.

So in GH TV mode, you're given a selection of songs, some from the game, some from the Guitar Hero DLC store thing, all that. Essentially, it's a more classic looking version of the game, it's not first person, all your scores and stuff are on screen, all that. There's these channel mode things which are basically playing songs at random and you can jump in at any time (much like party mode in Band Hero, but whatever) and all that. It's kind of cool, I guess.

Until you realise it's some free to play bull shit that you just paid $150 for. Or like $75 in my case, 'twas a good deal.

Anyway, how's it free to play? Well, you get these things, if they have a name I don't remember it, so for the sake of this, I'll call them song tokens. These song tokens, allow you to play a song out of the list of songs in GH TV, remember when I said there's songs that aren't on the main disc? Well this is the only way to play those songs, and there is a fucking lot of them.

So anyway, these tokens let you play one song for each token. You start off with ten or so tokens (I don't remember) and as you play songs you will level up. Each level gives you some more tokens, there's also the odd random event that will give you some, I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I got a few tokens while I was in the middle of levels so it happened for some reason. As you go along, you will get less and less tokens for doing stuff. You get 5 or so for the first few levels I think, then you end up getting less and less. I got 3 on my last level up. 

Now bear in mind that each level up, or the time it takes to level up, is dependent on your skill and difficulty level, meaning if you play good on harder modes you'll level up quicker. Now I played a bunch of songs going back and forth between the hardest and second hardest modes for a few hours on GH TV mode and I'm on level 7 or 8, probably 8. I still have 30 something tokens left over to play songs with.

When you run out of tokens, you can buy more of them with in game currency, which is how I got to 30 now that I remember it, I bought a pack of them, because the game wanted me to. I believe it was 7k for a pack of 20 or something ridiculous like that. Why's that ridiculous? Because in the aforementioned hours of beating the shit out of the game on harder difficulties (which by the way, isn't anywhere near as easy as it used to be, this new controller sucks just as bad as I thought it would and that's another rant) I made around 6k.

So what have we learned so far, recap time.

At launch, there's a bunch of songs you can only play in this mode.

To play this mode, you need tokens.

You will run out of free tokens sooner or later no matter your skill.

You will then need to buy tokens to keep playing those songs.

Interesting, so what you're saying, is that in order to play a large part of Guitar Hero Live's content, they want me to fork over a bunch of money on top of the $150 asking price for the game and (stupid 6 button) guitar? How about go fuck yourself?

Now, as we all (unfortunately) know, F2P games would never bring back anywhere near as many suckers if they just stopped when you don't put in more money, so I'm assuming you'll regenerate some tokens over time when you hit zero, but even then, there's always a cap of some small amount like 5 or so, which is shit anyway.

"But Dylan, you could just go play the Live mode, with all the other songs" Yes, I could. Because I paid a bunch of money to own this game. I do not own the GH TV mode, it is there, and they grant me limited access to it and offer me the privilege of pouring more money down Activision's throathole. That mode, if the menus are to be believed, is the big half of the game. There's two options when you jump in, GH TV or GH Live. TV is (obviously, since you can feed it money) put first. As it has the bigger song library, it is the big half. 

And the big half, is essentially in constant need of more money to actually be played, so that's fun.

The thing that really fucked me off though, when I started up GH TV mode, not too far in, the guy gives me 5 song tokens, and says that I am "lucky" because of that gift. Really? I'm lucky, I'm fucking lucky, to be allowed to play 5 fucking songs in this game that you're selling for $150? I'M the lucky one am I? Could have fooled me.

This is the best post I've ever seen. 

• Like 1

Lol, I forgot I made this thread until I just got a notification for it.

I'm just being an idiot, it's 2016, I should be okay with buying a game and not owning everything on the box with that sole purchase. It's my fault really. I shouldn't expect that of the two main modes this game offers, that I should actually have full freedom to play BOTH of them how I want, that's just greedy. 

I sure do feel bad, and to Activision, I'm sorry. I really am, I was wrong to think that 10 years from now when this game's servers are down and these songs are no longer available, that I could pop in the disc and play all the songs the back of the cover promised me day one. I see that now, I was asking too much from a game to expect it to only require one payment from me. 

You're right, 150 is nowhere near enough for the full experience, if you want, here, have my baby, take my girlfriend, take everything, maybe one day you'll be satisfied.

And by the way, I ended up buying Rock Band 4 anyway because of how much this game just sucked. New controller mostly, but just awful. Nothing at all good about it. Rock Band 4 "Same shit, just the way you actually wanted it" is so much better. Plus, I actually own the game. I can play every song on there without ever needing to pay anything, or worry about the internet going out or nothing. 

• 2 months later...