how do you prevent a "burnout"

Stargazer2600

So sometimes when your playing a game. theres those trophies that require extensive grinding. Add that to working to get other trophies and you got quite the list. However one can only grind so much before they face the inevitable burnout. Once your burned out, you really dont wanna play the game for quite a while and sometimes people get so burned out they never play the game again. 

I normally grind for a week or two and then i don't play the game from 4 months to up to a year :/ i do that cause if i completely burn myself out, ill never wanna go back to it cause the drive just isn't there. However i am curious on how you all prevent burning yourselfs out on grinds so lets hear it

I generally make a mental road map.

(Bear in mind, I generally only play one game at a time).

I grind up until a point, then play one or two other full games (i.e. unlock everything in them) and then go back and finish the grindy game. If it's really grindy, I make two or more breaks until I finally finish it. This way I don't burn out as fast.

Take a break or mix games in between of another genre. If it is multiplayer...as long as the server is there...your progress won't go anywhere.  

I started my 2nd play through of Tales of Hearts R at least 2 month later. Just could not take the boring grind.

Virtua Tennis 2009...I took 9 month break and NiNo Kuni...took a year break.

Back to playing those games again.

IMO just avoid games that have a grind. Some people just dont have it in them unless its a game they thoroughly enjoy. 

FEAR 2 is a prime example, i actually enjoyed that game so much i got the platinum for it. The 1,000,000 XP trophy was a massive headache, i was falling asleep everytime lol.

• Like 1

I usually set a goal, like maybe do an hour or two on a grindy game, or maybe do a set number of something every night before I play a different game.

Examples: during my FFX plat, I did 2 hours of sphere grid grind per day. Currently I'm doing 20 races a night on driveclub. After I hit my goal, I end up playing something else.

I just don't take it too seriously. I mean, I love getting trophies and everything, but I enjoy the games themselves more so. Personally, as soon as I'm not having fun or that I feel like I'm not up for a long grind or a stressful "Don't die or else you're fucked and have to start the game again" playthrough, I just simply stop playing and do whatever else I happen to do. For example, getting the Far Cry 2 platinum took me over five years; I just slowly chipped away at the online trophies whenever I felt like playing it instead of dedicating an entire few weeks of my life to just playing it and getting it done ASAP. I would've gone mad doing that as I hate grinding. 

And if I happen to still be in the mood to play games but I'm not in the mood for trophy hunting, then I stick on a quick pick-up-and-play game like FIFA, AoE2, Last of Us Online, etc,.Also, I tend to take breaks from gaming every once in a while; right now I haven't played a Playstation in close to two months. I recently collected every trophy I could earn on my list before heading to Switzerland, so I feel like saving myself for the PS4.

I know that once I get my hands on a PS4 my appetite for gaming will come surging back. The thought that I'll have Metal Gear Solid V, The Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 waiting for me when I eventually get a PS4 is mouth-watering.

So, yeah, in short, just play if you're enjoying it, and don't stress out - the trophies can always be slowly earned or earned another time.  

Edited by Gotakibono

I simply remember that there was such a thing as gaming BEFORE trophies. You know...where you did what you could in a game because it was fun. 

I also juggle gaming with other things like reading. Oh I got through a chapter in the game? Let me go knock out a few chapters of the book I'm reading.

Prime example for me?

Dynasty Warriors. I started with DW3 and every time I think grinding is starting to be not worth it I just remember getting every hidden weapon, all items, maxing out every single character, and doing so because I wanted to. I didn't do it for people I don't know. I didn't do it to satisfy an ego. I did it because it was fun. Do I do something like that for every game nowadays? No. I don't have the time as there are far more games out I want to play and can't spend the 100's of hours it would take to get every character maxed out in stats and such.

In all honesty I don't think I get "burned out". I get bummed out though. 

• Like 1

I've had quite a lot of burn outs, not only due to the trophies but because I always condense all my gaming to a matter of days, e.g. No gaming for about 5, 6 days then 10 hours per day for one or two days, obviously this is a rough estimate but...

Like EternalChaos after Until Dawn I didn't really go for Platinums for a while.

But the only thing I can suggest is do a few hours for one or two days then take a break from gaming for a day or two before grinding or just playing another game, not the one you were grinding before. Then repeat.

This can help stop you burning out and finish games more efficiently.

So sometimes when your playing a game. theres those trophies that require extensive grinding. Add that to working to get other trophies and you got quite the list. However one can only grind so much before they face the inevitable burnout. Once your burned out, you really dont wanna play the game for quite a while and sometimes people get so burned out they never play the game again. 

I normally grind for a week or two and then i don't play the game from 4 months to up to a year :/ i do that cause if i completely burn myself out, ill never wanna go back to it cause the drive just isn't there. However i am curious on how you all prevent burning yourselfs out on grinds so lets hear it

I can't. I just let the burnout happen, and if I happen to get back into it, I do.

I'd say switch between games, mute game sound and play music, watch a show or series.

Podcasts (video and audio) are always fantastic when grinding, I don't think I could ever just sit there and grind without them :P

I agree, I usually watch Kinda Funny or Funhaus to distract me from grindy games.

• Like 1

I'm playing Dragon Ball Xenoverse so while I'm grinding the parallel quests I just have netflix or anime on my laptop, I did this when I played Persona 4 aswell and pretty much any game that involves grinding :)

Wow, we must have really similar tastes. I finished up Persona 4 (on the PS2) a couple of weeks ago and now I'm just clearing up Xenoverse.

Though Persona 4's grinding is A LOT more tolerable than Xenoverse's. With Xenoverse, you have a chance to have a chance to have a chance to have a chance to get what you want, not to mention leveling up after level 80 is such a chore. With Persona, though... you have so much you can do while grinding - like trying to find reapers in Magatsu Mandala, for example. Not to mention you can just increase your experience gain by limiting the amount of people you bring with you. If you're just trying to level up the main character's personas, just go in alone and your experience gain will increase fourfold.

• Like 1