[SPOILERS] Life is Strange | Finale Discussion

skiptracing

I really loved this game. Best game I've played since the Last of Us. I, however, don't want them to make a sequel to it. I'd rather them leave it alone and see them move on to something else (which luckily they are doing).

Edited by DJRebyB

I just said "fuck it" to the town and went on the road with Chloe. Best ending.

The only good thing about sacrificing Chloe is that they she and Max kiss there, at least for me.

Combine that kiss with the town getting destroyed, and Chloe and Max escaping together would have been a perfect ending.

For me at least. I ship that relationship so hard.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The final choice: I had to let go of the controller when the prompts to choose showed up on the screen. I knew what I was going to pick though. I chose to sacrifice Chloe and restore the timeline, and judging by how that ending is fully fleshed out while the other one is a 3-minute-long content-empty cutscene, I'd say I picked the right one. For once, Chloe thinks about others and realizes she was meant to die, and if Max chose to wipe out Arcadia Bay, Chloe would keep dying and Max would have to save her every single time, indefinitely. The Sacrifice Chloe ending give us a moving and emotional final moment that, even thought it's heartbreaking, feels like the kind of ending this game should have.

I just bought this game, discounted with PS+, and I agree with you. I chose to sacrifice Chloe because I felt that would be the more emotional and impacting ending, and I wasn't disappointed. I'm not afraid to admit I cried. I absolutely adored this game and Chloe, despite sacrificing her, was my favorite character.

• Like 2

98% choose to save the town 

1% Choose to save Chloe 

and yes i was that one percent this whole game was based on helping here and then you just throw it away for the town man i hated that town there all weird and messed up but those percentages are form all my friend that i have has a friends ons PSN and over 50 played it 

Hmm, Idk, I found very obvious the "Sacrifice Chloe", but the whole game was to be with her, to return to the magic childhood time. I had to save her.

And the main reason I also picked to save her instead of the town was that I didn't like the way how she understood that she has to die just when seconds before she was totally fine watching the whole town disappear, it was too abrupt, simple.

• 1 month later...

Argh, I sort of love and hate these sort of moral-choice based games. Chapter 5 was definitely my favourite, if for no other reason it sort of brought everything together and answered the majority of the questions that I had after finishing the first four chapters.

The only conceivable ending to the game for me was to Sacrifice Chloe, and the ending cutscene felt appropriate and handled well. I went back and checked out the other ending, and am glad with my initial choice. Despite that, it still took me a good minute or so before I committed to my choice, even though I kind of saw the whole 'final choice' coming and had kind of already decided to save the town.

As for the story as a whole, I mostly enjoyed it but I kind of had a dodgy feeling about Mr. Jefferson from after the section where Kate runs off crying after speaking to him (I actually busted him in the part where you speak to the principal as well). That lingered throughout the remaining story and kind of ruined the 'shock factor' at the Junkyard a little, especially as it was one of those situations where I kind of knew more than Max, but was unable to express that in the context of what Max was doing. That was most frustrating during the Vortex Pool Party bit, where I had to run around warning & asking about Nathan, whereas by that point I was 99% convinced it was Jefferson.

Aside from that, I enjoyed the game but couldn't possibly see how they could do another season.

I absolutely loved this game. Some of the choices were very difficult to make, especially the ending. In the end I decided that I could never sacrifice Chloe because she's awesome and I went through way too much bullshit just to let her go. Plus I didn't care much for most of the people of Arcadia Bay anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I loved this game, but I don't really think dlc/a sequel is necessary. I wish they'd spanned the nightmare section into 1 whole chapter though, because that was amazingly creepy. The storyline is very repeatedly playable. Victoria didn't believe my warning so I didn't get the section with her in the dark room and I'd love to play through it again to do the different options.

I chose to save Arcadia Bay, because you spend the whole game saving Chloe's life, what's to say you save her and then Max's rewind powers go away and she dies again anyway? Plus I would have liked some kind of explanation for Max's powers at the end, do they go away or do they stick around? Considering the tornado was bought on by the powers you'd guess they'd go away.

I also wish you'd gone back to a point in some alternate timeline where you'd have met Rachel Amber, I loved how her presence progressed throughout the game, and I think if Max had met her in some kind of alternate timeline it could have added something else somehow.

Overall, like I said, this game was amazing. One of the best games I've played through in a while!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is the only episodic game that I've played for more than 10 minutes let alone all the way through. I finished this last night and like all other episodes number 5 was brilliant. I also chose to save Chloe since there was nothing clear about the rest of the citizens actually dying to me. What I didn't get was the revisit to the classroom when everything started to go backwards, I told Jefferson "I love you" to see what the reaction would be, it didn't seem to alter anything? Absolutely brilliant game that easily would be in my top 5 most enjoyable games of 2015. I would also like to see DLC of Arcadia prior to the life is strange time period that gives some insight into why this all happened to begin with. Either way I'm ok with unfinished stories, amazing game that I won't forget in a hurry.

• 2 months later...

- Don't really get the hate for the nightmare part. It's a bit different and out of left field, but I still enjoyed it.

- Admittedly, the whole nightmare town guilt-tripping you was a massive failure. I already found myself invested in the townsfolk & other students enough through everything before that. Max & Chloe sequence right after was way more impactful. 

- Still chose to sacrifice Chloe though.

All in all, Life is Strange has replaced Wolf Among Us as my favourite episodic game. (TWD S1 was second, now third.) I seriously wish I had followed a guide for the trophies. Just expected a pretty good episodic game which I'd then go back to and get all this missables after finishing it. Didn't expect the game to affect me enough to not want to go back to it. Maybe in a few weeks or months, I'll come back to get the Plat. Until then, not touching it again. Not even Undertale managed to keep me away after the best ending for me to replay for the worst one.

Other thoughts:

- Episode 5 was pretty glitchy for me. Jefferson outright vanished for a portion of the David vs Jefferson fight and Max flat out did not move her mouth when talking to Warren.

- I usually stick around for the credits. Totally skipped the credits this time. The ending scene did it for me. 

- Not hoping for a Season 2. If there is, it better be way different. This story has come to its end, IMO.

- I'm probably morbid in thinking everyone you know do indeed die in the Save Chloe ending, from what I've seen of that ending. You see people who can die the first time you're in the middle of the storm (Evan, Alyssa, fisherman, no name NPCs) and it's pretty weak to assume either that everyone lives or that a select number of people of your choosing survive in the ending where you choose to let the town be destroyed. 

- Also, if the universe is out to cause disasters as a result of Chloe's extended life, it seems weird to just give up once they leave Arcadia Bay. I mean, I guess there's no way for Max to go back after tearing the photo, so destiny's just like "**** it, I can't force the issue anymore so I'll just end with destroying your hometown", but it could also just as easily go "Well, enjoy your last few extra days together. World ends in another week. No turning back now."

- Ultimately, IMO: Save Town -> Unambiguously bittersweet ending, Save Chloe -> Romantic ending with ambiguous consequences

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I redid the game for PS4, and I tried to play some worse choices. Not help people more than absolutely necessary. A certain character even dies and everybody dislike me the most they can. And yet, this time around I chose to save the city instead of Chloe! :>

I loved this game it goes in my top 10 games of all time. It's a masterpeace I saved Chloe because I saw the other ending on YouTube and hated it plus I didn't really care about any of the other people. I don't think this game needs a session 2 I think it would destroy the masterpeace they had already made. But if it had a DLC where you have multiple mini story's in them like the walking dead game 400 days DLC then that would be cool.

• 7 months later...

I thought this game was brilliant. The relationship between Max and Chloe was beautiful and reminded me of my own best friend and I. Thus, I chose to save her. After the 5 years Max was away and didn't contact Chloe, I figured this ending would be the perfect in that they can make up for the lost time and they both mentioned how they wanted to get out of Arcadia Bay. Plus I hate the thought of Max having those memories and the person she shared them with die without even knowing she was there.

I agree with what someone said earlier, that having Max and Chloe kiss before driving off together would've been perfect. Bae over Bay, every day. 

I can't wait for Before the Storm! 

I see that i'm not the only one who saved Chloe over the town, i got too mutch attached to her, i was always pissed and sad when she "died" even though i knew i can rewind time and make things right. I enjoyed every moment when Max was with her. I really hope that the prequel and sequel will be as good as this one

I finished up "Life is Strange" Saturday and thought I would ad my thoughts.  Episode 5 wasn't my favorite mostly because The characters didn't feel quite as real to me as they had in all the prior episodes.  I fell in love with Max from the beginning and hurt with her through out but the switch from terrified and sobbing at the end of 4 when she found herself in the Dark Room in the hands of Jefferson to being fearless and on the ball enough to picture jump seemed strained.  Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the episode a lot and loved being able to save so many in the town as well as the nightmare although I too found it lengthy and should have been broken up a bit.

There were several characters I connected with in the game such as Warren, Kate, Samuel and David.  The Hospital Sequence, I managed to save Kate, was one of my favorites.  Max wanting to deepen her friendship with Kate despite her discomfort with hospitals was just one of many moments where she especially felt like a real person, human and fallible.  I guess all along I did all I could to help Kate and encourage friendship between Max and Warren.  I hurt with Max when she hurt and rejoiced with her when she felt encouraged.  

I did my best not to spoil any of the game as I played but I did pretty quickly come to the conclusion that the only real choice for an ending was for Max to go back to the bathroom and allow Chloe to go.  So in the end I chose to Sacrifice Chloe.  It was still not an easy decision and I had to wrestle with it as I did not want to just automatically go back and replay the end to make a different choice.  By then I knew that Nathan would be caught and flip on Jefferson and the real story of what happened to Kate would come out and lead to her not being pushed to jump.  This all firmed up with me being a Star Trek fan when Max mentioned "City on the Edge of Forever".  From that point on I pretty much knew what choice Max needed to make when the time came.  It was made slightly easier when Chloe herself knew the right thing to do and while obviously scared realized that it was what really needed to happen.  I just feel like neither of them would have been ok if Max had chosen to Sacrifice Arcadia Bay knowing pretty much everyone else they cared about would die including Joyce and David. (see next section for my reasons for this)  In the end it was my choice and after watching the end sequence from Max being sobbing in the bathroom through the funeral was just touching I was satisfied with it.  Did anyone else notice that Max took a step closer to Warren at Chloe's grave before the credits rolled?

Part of my final decision was that with the final way Max altered before the sacrifice choice made it pretty clear that Evan, Alyssa, the Trucker, the Fisherman, Joyce, Frank and Warren for sure would die.  Max had gone back to the party and made sure that Chloe would take them to hideout from Jefferson and from there go to the Lighthouse.  That meant that Evan dies from debris taken pictures.  Alyssa eventually falls, the trucker has no means of escape or shelter and the Fisherman in too much shock to do anything to get to a safer area.  We saw that the diner explodes from the fuel spill killing Warren, Joyce, Frank and the other man.  We can also presume that Jefferson kills Nathan to frame for everything he has done in Arcadia Bay as well as killing Victoria to further set Nathan up.  We can also presume that Jefferson gets the drop on David as well since Max wouldn't have been there to warn him and thus dies as well.  The only ones that we don't have a strong leaning on their fate are Kate, Stella, Brooke, Juliet, Dana, Taylor, Courtney, Trevor, Zach or Logan but given the intensity and destruction of an E6/F5 tornado it is likely that most perished or were seriously hurt.  I did watch the Sacrifice Arcadia Bay ending and given that Max and Chloe didn't see any life other than deer, another possible indication that very few survived.  I just don't think that living with all of that would have sat well with Max and Chloe and would have been a stain on their future relationship as well as others have said that death would continue to hunt Chloe.

Props to anyone that made it through my discourse.  No fault from me for to anyone that  choose to "Sacrifice Arcadia Bay".  It was a difficult decision for anyone that was vested in Max or any of the other characters.  I just felt that any a decisions to sacrifice so many would have haunted both Max and Chloe for the rest of their lives.

Brilliant Game until the ending. What kind of bullshit was that? I chose to sacrifice Arcadia Bay and expected everything to be ruined, nothing left standing. But then there is the cutscene where they drive through town, drive past Two Whales Diner and it's perfectly intact. So there I am thinking, WOW great, Warren and Joyce actually survived the storm, so I'm waiting to step out of the car and check on everybody, but no, they just drive into the distance, what the fuck was that. The game trying to tell me the tornado smh killed them without damaging their hideout? I can't believe they made such a great story and fucked it up at the end.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I finished the game four days ago.

It was the first time, that I cried at the end of a video game. :'( 

The moment Chloe said "Being together this week, it was the best farewell gift I could have hoped for." was really hard for me.

I mean, when you go back to sacrifice Chloe, she will die thinking that both Rachel and Max abandoned her. 

Now I'm looking forward to Life is Strange: Before the Storm.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, either of the choices are really bittersweet. Even though I think that the cause of the storm doesn't make a lot of sense. Why? Because Max started having nightmares before discovering her powers.

Anyhow, I saved Chloe. It may be controversial and selfish sacrifing a whole bunch of people for one person, but after trying Chloe so many times, why not save her for good? That's what I though. Still, this ending is incomplete compare to the ending where you sacrifice Chloe. You do not know who is still alive after the storm and what really happened to the other characters. If you sacrifice Chloe, the ending seems more detailed and more satisfying, because they actually explain what happened.

Life is Strange was one of my first PS4 experiences and it really exceeded my expectations. Great job! Life is Strange: Before the Storm does not seem a bad prequel (haven't played yet), since it explores Rachel's character and explains Chloe's past. Still I think there should be no sequel of this story whatsoever.

• 9 months later...
16 minutes ago, AdrianFerrari1 said:

I finished the game yesterday, and in my opinion, the right choice was kill Chloe. After all changes, a lot of people died on for save Chloe. So, let all happen naturally...

I'd have to disagree. The way I see it, the only real friend Max had was Chloe. Letting Chloe die would result in Max being a nobody with no friends. Idk, just when I played the game, I felt that most people were rude to Max in Arcadia Bay.  

14 minutes ago, TerminatarMnA said:

I'd have to disagree. The way I see it, the only real friend Max had was Chloe. Letting Chloe die would result in Max being a nobody with no friends. Idk, just when I played the game, I felt that most people were rude to Max in Arcadia Bay.  

A whole city would be killed only for save a friend, so if all happens naturally, she would be killed and save all city. I saw both endings and, in my opinion, they could put something sad on "kill Arcadia bay". Max has Warren as a friend, he likes her but he's always on friendzone.