Retro Review: Dead Space

Remilia Scarlet

If you have not played the game, do it now, but don't expect anything revolutionary. Dead Space is a great game, but The Last of Us it is not.

Final Verdict: 8.7/10

Even when right now it feels dated, for me Dead Space is almost a masterpiece, always above of TLOU.

As you said due the clunky gameplay/combat cannot reach an Outstanding score, which it was corrected in DS2.

But still, I love it, one of my favorite ps3 games.

Good review, but that last line seems very weird and out of place. Dead Space was far more "revolutionary" and original than the Last of Us. I also don't think you can compare the two (besides being 3rd person shooters), so it seems weird to put that in there. That's like a reviewer saying, "GTAV is a great game, but it's no Mario Kart".

So yeah, good review overall, but I would've left that last line out.

• Like 4

Good review, but that last line seems very weird and out of place. Dead Space was far more "revolutionary" and original than the Last of Us. I also don't think you can compare the two (besides being 3rd person shooters), so it seems weird to put that in there. That's like a reviewer saying, "GTAV is a great game, but it's no Mario Kart".

This.

A very solid review in my opinion. While it is true that Dead Space becomes somewhat repetitive later on, it's the introduction of new enemies and one particular 'invincible' necromorph chase scene (or scenes) that keep you hooked imo.

Great score btw.

Edited by Lord_of_Ra

What else could I compare it to? They're both survival horror, both contain zombies, elements of hopelessness and intensity. The only difference is that one is a sci-fi futuristic horror game. What I meant by that last line is that TLOU is far more revolutionary in its storytelling and character development. TLOU set a bar so high for engaging story and horror that very few can match it. In my opinion, Dead Space cannot. I don't want people who have played TLOU but not this to go in expecting an absolutely amazing and mindblowing horror game - it's not. It's great, it's scary, it's fun, but it's not mindblowing. I respect your opinion, though.

I don't know, it's just what I thought of when I typed that out. My logic seems weird to a lot of people but makes sense to me.

Edited by AnimeDreama
  • Like 2

Well, TLOU it's not a survival perse but due its survival elements many people consider it a survival game. 

You can read everywhere people saying how terrified they feel evading the infected ones, and totally forget the rest of the game.

I understand you but I don't think that it's totally out of place.

What else could I compare it to? They're both survival horror, both contain zombies, elements of hopelessness and intensity. The only difference is that one is a sci-fi futuristic horror game. What I meant by that last line is that TLOU is far more revolutionary in its storytelling and character development. TLOU set a bar so high for engaging story and horror that very few can match it. In my opinion, Dead Space cannot. I don't want people who have played TLOU but not this to go in expecting an absolutely amazing and mindblowing horror game - it's not. It's great, it's scary, it's fun, but it's not mindblowing. I respect your opinion, though.

I don't know, it's just what I thought of when I typed that out. My logic seems weird to a lot of people but makes sense to me.

Well actually now that you were more detailed I'm not agree with you, Dead space it's trully a horrror/survival game, TLOU do not.

It just share some elements.

Its storytelling comes from Uncharted Series, that one would be the revolutionary one in that aspect.

What TLOU did great was character development.

Edited by GoldenShaka

What else could I compare it to?

You wouldn't. Unless you're reviewing a sequel, in which case it's totally fair to compare to the previous game(s) in the series.

I don't want people who have played TLOU but not this to go in expecting an absolutely amazing and mindblowing horror game - it's not. It's great, it's scary, it's fun, but it's not mindblowing.

Well, if this review was specifically for people who played Last of Us, but not Dead Space, then that makes sense. For anyone who hasn't played either, and is looking for a new game to get, it doesn't make any sense to put that in there. Let's say someone reads the whole review, and thinks "Wow, this sounds great." Then they read that last line, and think "Wait, what's Last of Us? Apparently it's better than this game. I guess I'll just get that instead." Now your review did nothing but get the reader to look into the Last f Us, and ignore Dead Space, because you told them Dead Space wasn't as good.

You should generally leave those types of comparisons out, and let people play both and make up their own minds on which is better. But at the end of the day, this isn't a professional review on IGN or anything, so what I said doesn't matter too much. Just something to think about, if you were looking at going into some sort of gaming review "career".

I wouldn't consider Dead Space survival horror. It's more action horror than anything, just as RE4 was. 

I do find the 8.7 score rather odd. What separates an 8.6 and an 8.7, or an 8.7 and an 8.8? It just seems rather arbitrary. At least given the situation you provided as example of cheap or unfair gameplay moments, I don't believe that particular instance to be so. Certainly the enemy must have already made its entrance, and you simply failed to take note of it, or judge its position, and certainly it was your fault for allowing the first Necromorph to knock you down

I'd also have to disagree with combat being poorly designed or archaic. If a game wishes to induce horror or helplessness in a player, then I see nothing wrong with doing so with the actual mechanics, rather than just situation to situation. 

Take RE 1 - 3 and then RE 4.  By only allowing players to shoot forwards, up, down, and not allowing them any form of precision, as well as fixing the camera and forcing slower, more methodical movement upon them, the developers made the player feel much more stressed, anxious, and fearful as to whether or not they would be able to get out of any given situation, or at least make it through with enough resources for the next. This was helped by the scarcity of ammunition, as well as the aforementioned design.

In RE4, you're allowed much more precise aiming, manual control of the camera, ammo is much more plentiful, you can stun enemies and finish them with a quick and powerful melee, and even with the tank controls still intact, all of these things resulted in a far less tense, stressful, and frightening experience. You no longer felt quite so helpless, and it's hard to be scared when you feel as though you've a good chance against whatever the game throws at you. Not to mention that the enemies 

Dead Space was certainly intense, and at times creepy, but as with RE4, the player is given too much control, and I personally never felt frightened, due to all of the same designs as RE4, and enemies being (arguably) easier to take down. 

All in all, though, it was a pleasant review~ Still think the 10 scale score system is silly, more so when you get into .1 - .9, but I digress.

You wouldn't. Unless you're reviewing a sequel, in which case it's totally fair to compare to the previous game(s) in the series.

Well, if this review was specifically for people who played Last of Us, but not Dead Space, then that makes sense. For anyone who hasn't played either, and is looking for a new game to get, it doesn't make any sense to put that in there. Let's say someone reads the whole review, and thinks "Wow, this sounds great." Then they read that last line, and think "Wait, what's Last of Us? Apparently it's better than this game. I guess I'll just get that instead." Now your review did nothing but get the reader to look into the Last f Us, and ignore Dead Space, because you told them Dead Space wasn't as good.

You should generally leave those types of comparisons out, and let people play both and make up their own minds on which is better. But at the end of the day, this isn't a professional review on IGN or anything, so what I said doesn't matter too much. Just something to think about, if you were looking at going into some sort of gaming review "career".

That actually makes a lot more sense. I'll remove that bit. Thanks for that.

I wouldn't consider Dead Space survival horror. It's more action horror than anything, just as RE4 was. 

I do find the 8.7 score rather odd. What separates an 8.6 and an 8.7, or an 8.7 and an 8.8? It just seems rather arbitrary. At least given the situation you provided as example of cheap or unfair gameplay moments, I don't believe that particular instance to be so. Certainly the enemy must have already made its entrance, and you simply failed to take note of it, or judge its position, and certainly it was your fault for allowing the first Necromorph to knock you down

I'd also have to disagree with combat being poorly designed or archaic. If a game wishes to induce horror or helplessness in a player, then I see nothing wrong with doing so with the actual mechanics, rather than just situation to situation. 

Take RE 1 - 3 and then RE 4.  By only allowing players to shoot forwards, up, down, and not allowing them any form of precision, as well as fixing the camera and forcing slower, more methodical movement upon them, the developers made the player feel much more stressed, anxious, and fearful as to whether or not they would be able to get out of any given situation, or at least make it through with enough resources for the next. This was helped by the scarcity of ammunition, as well as the aforementioned design.

In RE4, you're allowed much more precise aiming, manual control of the camera, ammo is much more plentiful, you can stun enemies and finish them with a quick and powerful melee, and even with the tank controls still intact, all of these things resulted in a far less tense, stressful, and frightening experience. You no longer felt quite so helpless, and it's hard to be scared when you feel as though you've a good chance against whatever the game throws at you. Not to mention that the enemies 

Dead Space was certainly intense, and at times creepy, but as with RE4, the player is given too much control, and I personally never felt frightened, due to all of the same designs as RE4, and enemies being (arguably) easier to take down. 

All in all, though, it was a pleasant review~ Still think the 10 scale score system is silly, more so when you get into .1 - .9, but I digress.

I don't know, it's just such a common way for reviews to end their dissection of a game, it just seemed natural. The scale is just a way to rate the greatness of a game. That's how I've always done it, even before actually doing reviews of media. I still stand by my previous statements on the combat, but I appreciate you taking the time to read and comment.

• Like 1

There you go, the new line is much better. You are essentially saying the same thing as before, but this one leaves out the comparison and nicely ties the whole review together. Is a great conclusion to the review, and a great line for anyone who didn't read the review, but jumped to the end. They know the major points of your review, and the score. Then they can go back and read it, to get the in-depth analysis. Exactly what the conclusion should do.

Can't say I ever had a problem with the combat, sure reloading was slow, but it would make you think about your shots, rather than shooting as quick as possible, which I quite like. Plus you could get faster speeds with nodes. I never thought of it as a faulty mechanic.

That of course is my view, I'm not saying you're wrong at all, this is a good review and I enjoyed reading it. Nice job!

(This reply is aimed at the discussion going on a bout DS being more revolutionary than TLOU.)

This. Because this review is solely exclusive to Dead Space only, she's right. Now if this was a trilogy review then the revolutionary battle between it and TLOU, then the DST would put up a much much bigger fight, but DS by itself is not as revolutionary as TLOU. It just didn't get near that level until the sequels hit.

Edited by Mar
  • Like 1

The last sentence is much more adequate now. Just wanted to point that out :)

Take it as a constructive criticism. Try no to compare two different IPs when making a review.

Edit: PREDRAG beat me to it :P

Edited by Lord_of_Ra
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...