Good Lord this game got savaged

LunchCannon54

I agree. People just did not take into account that it was just a short downloadable title, and everyone compared it to Platinum's full budget AAA titles, like Bayonetta and Metal Gear Rising.

Honestly, it's a great game. Since the most important part of the game, the gameplay, is really fun. The bending styles are varied, and the ability to switch between them at will was awesome. And the dodging/countering system was implemented well, and the game just overall felt incredibly fluid. Sure, it was short, but it was a $15 game. And yeah, there wasn't much story, but I've never understood why that matters so much to people, especially reviewers. It's a game, not a movie. Gameplay should be primarily what a game is judged on, not the story. I think the real problem was that it was a licensed game, which people always assume are going to be bad from the start, and also that it's got anime style graphics. Anime style games get shit on for no reason all the time.

What's really sad, is that those reviews have actually kept people from playing and enjoying the game.

• Like 2

I was very interested, but after watching some people playing it, it just didn't look that good or fun.

That's fine, but you got people giving it like 2 or 3 out of 10. That pretty much implies that it's a barely functional game when it's perfectly fine. I feel like it's becoming more common to rate games like this; there's barely any middle ground any more. If they didn't like it it's a 3 apparently or if they did it's a 9 out of 10. There's no consideration of the audience (i.e. they may not like it but fans of the genre might), price and what have you. I think at absolute worst it's just average, and considering it's a cheap tie in it's much better than I expected it to be and I'm not even a fan of the series (I watched the first series of Korra and that was about it.). 

• Like 1

I played the game back at launch, and I loved it.

Ignoring that I'm a massive fan of the series, it's a short downloadable title that should not be compared to larger big budget games. It doesn't have any major problems except for repetitiveness (which many of these larger budget, high scoring games also suffer from, yet that appears to be ignored). It's short, it's sweet and it's very easy to pick up. It might not have the same appeal (as it did to me) to those who aren't into the series, but it's still relatively fun for a period of time.

• Like 1

I also thought it was extremely underscored for no good reason.

I know I'm a massive fan of the series, but I'm also a big fan of Harry Potter and that didn't stop me from thinking Deathly Hallows Parts 1 and 2 were little more than garbage. Sure, fans will find a lot more to enjoy here, but I thought it was pretty fun. The combat system is pretty solid and varied and you've got the story, the varied sets and plenty of unlockables to keep things interesting throughout. It's even got the pro-bending mode to spice things up a little - and I loved how faithful it was to the actual rules of pro-bending. Too bad you can't play as either Mako or Bolin, but oh well.

I think the only thing that might have needed some improvement were the character and boss designs. Not that they were bad, there were just very few of them. They basically just recycled the same design over and over again with a different color palette.

Other than that, I think the game was pretty solid. Sure, it might have been made longer or more fleshed out, but for a download-only budget game, we certainly got what we paid for.

This is like the time Dragon Ball Z: Infinite World also got scathing reviews despite being an overall improved version of Budokai 3, which got glowing reviews across the board. One of my factors when getting a new game are the reviews, but they're not my only factor. If I like what I'm seeing on YouTube videos, I'm getting it.

Edited by jrdemr
  • Like 1

I played this game based on another gamer's recommendation, and that'll be the last time I break my rule about no TV/movie games because other gamers' recommendations invariably suck. Putting aside that it was just a standard beat em up cashing in by wearing a TV show's livery, the one hit kill Naga sections made the game far more enraging than it should've been. I play games to relax, not raise my blood pressure for no reason.

Originally I wasn't going to try this game on the PS3 but after watching gameplay on Twitch I changed my mind. Can't remember the name of the channel now...

Absolutely zero problems on the PS3 that everyone else had complaints about. This game didn't deserve the amount of crap it got in the slightest. 

I found the combat very enjoyable and not nearly as "hard, sticky, clunky, slow, and retarded" as some people were saying on other sites. If these controls were hard to people I find it hard to believe they could play any video games except on the NES and it's 2 button controller. 

I didn't find the graphics nearly as "assaulting on the eyes" either that bashers were basically saying. Much like South Park: The Stick of Truth I found the graphics were at least true to the show. 

The length of the game is what I expected. The show's seasons were between 12-14 episodes running maybe 20 minutes. Taking that into account I felt the game time was more than adequate especially for the $15 price tag. (I got it half off on a sale. :P )

I wholeheartedly agree with damon8r on the Naga part though. The game wasn't an immense challenge but that one section brought the game from fun and relaxing to incredibly aggravating. 

Originally I wasn't going to try this game on the PS3 but after watching gameplay on Twitch I changed my mind. Can't remember the name of the channel now...

Absolutely zero problems on the PS3 that everyone else had complaints about. This game didn't deserve the amount of crap it got in the slightest. 

I found the combat very enjoyable and not nearly as "hard, sticky, clunky, slow, and retarded" as some people were saying on other sites. If these controls were hard to people I find it hard to believe they could play any video games except on the NES and it's 2 button controller. 

I didn't find the graphics nearly as "assaulting on the eyes" either that bashers were basically saying. Much like South Park: The Stick of Truth I found the graphics were at least true to the show. 

The length of the game is what I expected. The show's seasons were between 12-14 episodes running maybe 20 minutes. Taking that into account I felt the game time was more than adequate especially for the $15 price tag. (I got it half off on a sale. :P )

I wholeheartedly agree with damon8r on the Naga part though. The game wasn't an immense challenge but that one section brought the game from fun and relaxing to incredibly aggravating. 

The main point of annoyance was when the robots would consistently spam the wide barriers, almost back to back at times which didn't give you time to jump the second one. My successful run I got pretty lucky with the RNG and they barely went back and spammed range attacks. Didn't really take long (maybe about 8 attempts?) but still kind of annoying. 

I've never understood all the flack that this game received. While it was frustrating at points because I've never been good at these types of games, I really enjoyed it, and playing it on the PS3 I never had any problems with the controls or graphics, but seriously - screw the last naga segment and the added robots in at extreme difficulty.

It's like people got mad that it didn't hit their expectations and unnecessarily tore it to shreds. This game is a prime example for why I never listen to reviews.
(Also, I'm pretty sure that despite this game being accepted as canon in the LOK universe as it happens between seasons 2 and 3 it was completely ignored by all characters and I'm fairly sure something clashes with it on the timeline, but I can't remember specifically what. Although that may be because they realised not everyone would play the game.)

I forgot but if that one hit Naga segments were tied to extreme difficulty, which is optional and should not be taken into consideration towards the game's rating here, then that's irrelevant.

Sadly, there's a trophy for completing the game at extreme difficulty - it's the only reason that I played it on extreme haha.

• Like 1

I didn't find the Naga section as bad as the final round of pro-bending on hardest difficulty.

Apparently my experience with the final round was something I wanted to forget about - now I've been reminded, it was pretty brutal haha. I still have no idea how I managed to beat them  :facepalm:

• Like 1

Apparently my experience with the final round was something I wanted to forget about - now I've been reminded, it was pretty brutal haha. I still have no idea how I managed to beat them  :facepalm:

Didn't take me that long but man matches 3 and 5 of ace difficulty were pretty annoying. I honestly just found it difficult to keep track of everything flinging everything at once, and it was difficult at times to tell whether or not you were taking damage at all, not to mention being occasionally knocked back in one hit, and the lock-on breaking after getting hit constantly, and the counter being next to useless when you had the other two constantly flinging things at you (not to mention one of the team mates completely insufferable laid back quips when getting knocked back; "oh yeah like totally sorry man, hehehe, just gonna stutter and stammer and ineffectually laugh my way through this line") 

• Like 1

Didn't take me that long but man matches 3 and 5 of ace difficulty were pretty annoying. I honestly just found it difficult to keep track of everything flinging everything at once, and it was difficult at times to tell whether or not you were taking damage at all, not to mention being occasionally knocked back in one hit, and the lock-on breaking after getting hit constantly, and the counter being next to useless when you had the other two constantly flinging things at you (not to mention one of the team mates completely insufferable laid back quips when getting knocked back; "oh yeah like totally sorry man, hehehe, just gonna stutter and stammer and ineffectually laugh my way through this line") 

Oh god, the quips. I nearly muted my TV they were so annoying. I kept on running into a problem where I would knock them back to the last section, they would knock me back, I would knock them back again and have their health near the bottom and they would knock me back again - rinse, lather, repeat. I was also really talented at flipping to the side to avoid an attack and immediately coming into contact with a separate attack because it really was difficult keeping track of everything going on.

Ugh, I think I need to lie down for a while after remembering these matches  -_-

I've never understood all the flack that this game received. While it was frustrating at points because I've never been good at these types of games, I really enjoyed it, and playing it on the PS3 I never had any problems with the controls or graphics, but seriously - screw the last naga segment and the added robots in at extreme difficulty.

It's like people got mad that it didn't hit their expectations and unnecessarily tore it to shreds. This game is a prime example for why I never listen to reviews.

(Also, I'm pretty sure that despite this game being accepted as canon in the LOK universe as it happens between seasons 2 and 3 it was completely ignored by all characters and I'm fairly sure something clashes with it on the timeline, but I can't remember specifically what. Although that may be because they realised not everyone would play the game.)

Sadly, there's a trophy for completing the game at extreme difficulty - it's the only reason that I played it on extreme haha.

The game isn't canon, and the *story-events that happened in the game never happened in the show.

Edited by Mar

The main point of annoyance was when the robots would consistently spam the wide barriers, almost back to back at times which didn't give you time to jump the second one. My successful run I got pretty lucky with the RNG and they barely went back and spammed range attacks. Didn't really take long (maybe about 8 attempts?) but still kind of annoying. 

I found the entire section kinda hard to react to. The robots basically let you know what they are doing ahead of time but on the parts where you are in a curve is where I got thrown off. My eyesight really sucks for things like that.

I didn't find the Naga section as bad as the final round of pro-bending on hardest difficulty.

I lost maybe 1 match throughout all the difficulties...I don't know if I got lucky or maybe what.

I had a few close calls by having to go into the 1v1 mode but I ended up winning somehow lol.

The game isn't canon, and the *story-events that happened in the game never happened in the show.

Pretty sure it is canon, as both Mike and Bryan (the creators of the show) were heavily involved and the story was written by two of the writers of the show, Tim Hedrick and Joshua Hamilton.