Where should I start my Metal Gear journey?

donjotko

Hey guys,

So I've been a gamer for about half of my life more or less and there is a huge void in my gaming profile which desperately requires filling. 

Now, keeping in mind that I only own a PS3 and have not even played any Metal Gear game, just heard about them - which one should I start with? Is there any point in going all the way back to play the old ones or nah? Which ones are absolutely crucial to the storyline and which ones are just awesome in their own right? 

And finally, which should I be looking to buy - the Legacy collection with almost all of the titles or the HD Trilogy and MGS 4 and 5 later?

Also, I know what the titles of each game are if you find this easier than numbering the titles.

Thanks in advance!  :P

Metal Gear 3( Origin Story) MGS3 is also the easiest to plat. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Gear

Has a chronological order in story on the right side.

Older titles are worth playing especially MGS1( if you haven't yet get the Legacy Collection) It comes with MGS1 and VR missions.....playable on the Vita as well(one of the few titles that you can download directly to your vita).

Edited by Kishnabe
  • Like 1

I grew up in the nes days and never touched metal gear until Metal Gear Solid on PS1. I enjoyed the game and ending so much i jumped right into the sequel, which to me was meh overall. Played 3 for about two hours and just became fed up with all the excessive chatter during the codec cutscenes and haven't touched a mgs game since. 

Edited by limelight1979
  • Like 3

You might want to play them in the order they were released if you want to see how these games evolved in terms of graphics, gameplay and controls. It would probably be more enjoyable that way.

Start with Metal Gear Solid 3 is you want to play them in chronological order. I'll list them for you in that order:

1964 - Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

1970 - Metal Gear Solid : Portable Ops

1974 - Metal Gear Solid : Peace Walker

1975 - Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

1984 - Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

1995 - Metal Gear

1999 - Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake

2005 - Metal Gear Solid 

2007/9 - Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

2014 - Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

• Like 2

This is the correct timeline order: 

1964 - Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

1970 - Metal Gear Solid : Portable Ops

1974 - Metal Gear Solid : Peace Walker

1975 - Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

1984 - Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

1995 - Metal Gear

1999 - Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake

2005 - Metal Gear Solid 

2007/9 - Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

2014 - Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Ideally you should play them all in order of release. However, you could play the following games in this specific order to get most of the references and get a good picture of the overall story:

Metal Gear Solid - Metal Gear Solid 2 - Metal Gear Solid 3 - Metal Gear Solid 4 - Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker - Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes/The Phantom Pain.

If you find yourself really enjoying the franchise, you can delve into Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (One of my favorites), and Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops to get the entire story. 

• Like 2

I picked up the legacy collection as I had never played a Metal Gear game either. I've only played through MGS1 so far, and it blew my mind. I need to get around to playing the rest of the series. Mechanically, I think it would be difficlut to enjoy going backwards, but even for such an old title, it holds up extremely well today imho.

• Like 1

I also think it would be best to do it in release order, since it's one of those series where everything got bridged together with it's prequels and pre-sequels. Though I say MG1 and 2 are optional, since they do well enough to explain what happens in those games. I also don't think Portable Ops is canon anymore, so you don't have to go with that one unless you just want to.

I also recommend Metal Gear Rising, as it's the furthest in the timeline. Plus it's too awesome of a game to miss out on.

Edited by Redgrave
  • Like 1

Ideally you should play them all in order of release. However, you could play the following games in this specific order to get most of the references and get a good picture of the overall story:

Metal Gear Solid - Metal Gear Solid 2 - Metal Gear Solid 3 - Metal Gear Solid 4 - Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker - Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes/The Phantom Pain.

If you find yourself really enjoying the franchise, you can delve into Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (One of my favorites), and Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops to get the entire story. 

This ^ 

Plus, in Metal Gear Solid there's a selection to view a text recap/summary of the story of the 2 original MSX/2 Metal Gear games.  Which is pretty neat if you want to jump straight into the 3D rendered series.

But in terms of what to buy I suggest you get Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection, if you happen to have a PSP or if its available on Vita via PSN Store get Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops (iirc Portable Ops Plus is just a Multiplayer Add-on), Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, if you're really hard core about it play the Gameboy color release of Metal Gear Solid also known as Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel and finally there's Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance if you want a game about Raiden being a complete badass.

Edited by Ramonachan
  • Like 1

Really, don't play them in the order by when the games take place, because I'm pretty sure that spoils things. Play them in the order they were released, and really, you can skip the non-solid games, in other words the NES games etc. Non-solid = Metal Gear, and solid = Metal Gear Solid)

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

I also think it would be best to do it in release order, since it's one of those series where everything got bridged together with it's prequels and pre-sequels. Though I say MG1 and 2 are optional, since they do well enough to explain what happens in those games. I also don't think Portable Ops is canon anymore, so you don't have to go with that one unless you just want to.

I also recommend Metal Gear Rising, as it's the furthest in the timeline. Plus it's too awesome of a game to miss out on.

Portable Ops is directly referenced in both Peace Walker, and MGS4. The game as a whole might not have been as great, but the story was written by Kojima and is still cannon. 

In the case of Rising, however, Kojima has said it's just a spin off on many occasions, but Yuki Korekado said it was cannon. Great game, but its place in the official timeline is not a sure thing.

Start with Metal Gear Solid 3, as that is tye chronological beginning of the series. Here is a list of how to play the games in order.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/82193/20150905/how-to-play-all-of-metal-gear-solid-in-chronological-order.htm

That would only serve to confuse him. He'll also miss out on most of the references and connected threads in the story.

Thanks to all!

So from what I understand, I need to get the Legacy Collection, start with Solid 1 through to Solid 4, then Peace Walker (all of which I would get in the collection). Then, if I enjoyed myself, play MG and Solid Snake and Revengeance is a good game but not crucial - just for fun. If I am not 60 by the time I finish that I can get Phantom Pain.

Last question - what on earth is Ground Zeroes?

Edited by ghostrobo999
  • Like 1

Thanks to all!

So from what I understand, I need to get the Legacy Collection, start with Solid 1 through to Solid 4, then Peace Walker (all of which I would get in the collection). Then, if I enjoyed myself, play MG and Solid Snake and Revengeance is a good game but not crucial - just for fun. If I am not 60 by the time I finish that I can get Phantom Pain.

Last question - what on earth is Ground Zeroes?

Ground Zeroes is sort of an opening to The Phantom Pain. "Ground Zero" for the conflict, so to speak.

Portable Ops is directly referenced in both Peace Walker, and MGS4. The game as a whole might not have been as great, but the story was written by Kojima and is still cannon. 

In the case of Rising, however, Kojima has said it's just a spin off on many occasions, but Yuki Korekado said it was cannon. Great game, but its place in the official timeline is not a sure thing.

Do they? I don't remember. I only remember it showing a clip of Portable Ops in MGS4 but it was more of a meta thing where they are talking about war as a video game.

As for Rising, they do reference the previous games, so I don't see why it wouldn't be canon. Plus this is too cool to not be canon.

3770259-3098862182-34590.gif

Do they? I don't remember. I only remember it showing a clip of Portable Ops in MGS4 but it was more of a meta thing where they are talking about war as a video game.

As for Rising, they do reference the previous games, so I don't see why it wouldn't be canon. Plus this is too cool to not be canon.

3770259-3098862182-34590.gif

When Eva is talking about Zero's relationship with Big Boss you can see flashbacks from Portable Ops. In Peace Walker, the events of San Hieronymo are mentioned as well.

Well that's the thing, Rising connects itself to the previous games, but the other games don't connect themselves to Rising in any way. In the case of Portable Ops, however, it's a 2-way street. Also, Rising wasn't written by Kojima whereas Portable Ops was. Rising is a fantastic game though, and even though it doesn't capture the themes and character qualities that other Metal Gear games have, it does capture the insane part of Metal Gear really well, so I have nothing against people considering it cannon if they so choose.  

Edited by Dark_Tooth69