Where should I start my Metal Gear journey?

donjotko

When Eva is talking about Zero's relationship with Big Boss you can see flashbacks from Portable Ops. In Peace Walker, the events of San Hieronymo are mentioned as well.

Well that's the thing, Rising connects itself to the previous games, but the other games don't connect themselves to Rising in any way. In the case of Portable Ops, however, it's a 2-way street. Also, Rising wasn't written by Kojima whereas Portable Ops was. Rising is a fantastic game though, and even though it doesn't capture the themes and character qualities that other Metal Gear games have, it does capture the insane part of Metal Gear really well, so I have nothing against people considering it cannon if they so choose.  

Ah okay. My memory is kind of fuzzy on that one. I remember being able to find Eva again in Portable Ops, but where or how I forget.

What do you mean by they don't connect to Rising?

Ah okay. My memory is kind of fuzzy on that one. I remember being able to find Eva again in Portable Ops, but where or how I forget.

What do you mean by they don't connect to Rising?

I was actually talking about MGS4. Eva talks to Old Snake about Big Boss's and Zero's relationship, and scenes from Portable Ops are shown. 

I mean that Rising has references and story events that continue or borrow from other Metal Gear games, but no other Metal Gear title acknowledges the existence of Rising (from a story perspective at least). Portable Ops also connects itself to other Metal Gear games by continuing story events. The difference being, that other Metal Gear titles acknowledge the existence of Portable Ops. It's one thing for a game to say "I'm part of this franchise" and it's another thing for the game's to say "this game is part of our franchise". If Rising having references and ties to other Metal Gear games was enough to make it cannon then the crappy "Metal Gear Snake's Revenge" on NES would be cannon as well since it references the original Metal Gear. 

Edited by Dark_Tooth69

I grew up in the nes days and never touched metal gear until Metal Gear Solid on PS1. I enjoyed the game and ending so much i jumped right into the sequel, which to me was meh overall. Played 3 for about two hours and just became fed up with all the excessive chatter during the codec cutscenes and haven't touched a mgs game since.

Some truth here. Be wary of the codec stuff; it's chatty and boring from MGS2 onward.

I recently played MGS1 on ps1 (which is available on ps3). It still holds up, which is surprising considering its age. Start with that one because the games are sequential in terms of story (except for 3). I wouldn't start with 3 because, due to its gameplay differences, it really doesn't show you what MGS is all about.

I envy you. MGS2 changed my life. I wish I could play that game through the eyes of a Noob. That game is truly the jewel on the crown of Metal Gear.

• Like 1

Portable Ops was not written by Kojima, if it was then why would he include it as a non-Kojima game in the Deja-Vu mission in Ground Zeroes? That being said, it is canon (not cannon because that is a type of weapon used on pirate ships). Kojima was only a producer for Portable Ops, which means he provided some of the budget to pay for its creation. The writer was Gakuto Mikumo and the Director was Yasahiro Yamamoto. Kojima had nothing to do with it's development whatsoever.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is also canon, even though I despise the story and would like to believe it isn't. And before I get attacked, I really liked the gameplay, it's just the story I didn't like.

To the OP: Start with MGS1 and go by release order. Doing it chronologically will make the earlier games seem dated and underwhelming by comparison by playing the latest games first. MG1 and MG2 are not necessary, since there's barely any story in either of those especially MG1. If you want to know more about those games' stories outside of what you're told in the sequels you can download "MGS4 Database" for free, which will give you all the story and information you could ever want or need about the Metal Gear Series up to MGS4.

Edited by LeetWolf2

I mean that Rising has references and story events that continue or borrow from other Metal Gear games, but no other Metal Gear title acknowledges the existence of Rising (from a story perspective at least). Portable Ops also connects itself to other Metal Gear games by continuing story events. The difference being, that other Metal Gear titles acknowledge the existence of Portable Ops. It's one thing for a game to say "I'm part of this franchise" and it's another thing for the game's to say "this game is part of our franchise". If Rising having references and ties to other Metal Gear games was enough to make it cannon then the crappy "Metal Gear Snake's Revenge" on NES would be cannon as well since it references the original Metal Gear. 

Oh I see. Well, it makes sense none of the other games reference it because it's the farthest in the timeline, taking place in 2018 or somewhere around there. Plus it originally did start out as a prequel to 4 where Raiden rescues Sunny from the Patriots. I'm guessing you mean how the previous games don't reference World Marshall or Senator Armstrong. I don't really see why that would be an issue, if that's what you mean anyway. I don't want to say a whole lot then miss the whole point.

Portable Ops was not written by Kojima, if it was then why would he include it as a non-Kojima game in the Deja-Vu mission in Ground Zeroes? That being said, it is canon (not cannon because that is a type of weapon used on pirate ships). Kojima was only a producer for Portable Ops,which means he provided some of the budget to pay for its creation. The writer was Gakuto Mikumo and the Director was Yasahiro Yamamoto. Kojima had nothing to do with it's development whatsoever.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is also canon, even though I despise the story and would like to believe it isn't. And before I get attacked, I really liked the gameplay, it's just the story I didn't like.

To the OP: Start with MGS1 and go by release order. Doing it chronologically will make the earlier games seem dated and underwhelming by comparison by playing the latest games first. MG1 and MG2 are not necessary, since there's barely any story in either of those especially MG1. If you want to know more about those games' stories outside of what your told in the sequels you can download "MGS4 Database" for free, which will give you all the story and information you could ever want or need about the Metal Gear Series up to MGS4.

You're absolutely right. I was certain that it was written by him, but I should have fact checked first. As far as me writing "cannon", my phone's autocorrect tends to do stuff like that; I'm sure there are a lot of other spelling errors in the last few posts I wrote.