Breaking Up With Assassin's Creed

Xel

The series started off pretty great. The concept was original, the story was interesting and the world was believable. Despite its linearity and repetitiveness, Assassin's Creed I is still my favorite of the entire franchise. The next few games, namely the Ezio trilogy, just built up on what made the first game great and took away most of its shortcomings, which made up for three memorable games, instant classics. Revelations is still my second favorite of the franchise (I guess I just like the ones that take place in the Middle East :P ).

*snip*

Wouldn't have said it better. Until Assassin's Creed III, you could feel that what you did in the Animus impacted the lives of the people in the present. You went in to actually bring something with you to the real world. But after Black Flag... eh, now it's just super realistic and immersive History lesson for the (unexisting) protagonist.

Maybe I'm reading your post incorrectly, but it sure sounds like you just said, "The older games were believable and immersive." Then proceeded to say, "The newer games are believable and immersive," as if that was somehow a bad thing or that they drastically changed the core formula. Also I would not call Unity or Syndicate a "history lesson". The main narratives in those games hardly focus on any real history. Arno's story rarely intersected with the French Revolution and the story of the Frye twins is as far as we can go from having as little history lessons as possible. If you were to compare the maps in AC2 to the maps in ACU, they are both largely based on real-world maps.

---

Here's what I think guys and I'll try to keep it abridged:

It's no secret that Syndicate is pretty much  AC Brotherhood's twin separated at birth.

1. ACB had a fight club, but ACS has around 5-6 fight clubs. The main difference: ACB had clunkier controls and animations and there was only one club with an unchangeable difficulty in which to earn the trophy. ACS is easier to control, animations flow much more easily, and the trophy is actually easier (imo) because you can obtain it just by beating the three easy clubs.

2. ACB was the first game to let you ride a horse inside the city, ACS is the first game to let you ride a carriage inside a city.

3. ACB was the first game to introduce the Lift system to expedite climbing, Syndicate is the first AC game to include a portable zip line / bat claw to expedite traversal.

4. The Borgia Towers in ACB definitely inspired all of the Liberation zones in ACS (except the latter has way too many of them, therefore they're sometimes repetitive).

5. Starrick's relationship with Attaway borrows elements from Cesare's relationship with Lucrezia.

6. Dr. Elliotson is pretty much a copy of Garnier (from AC1), Twopenny is a seemingly less corrupt version of Juan Borgia (from ACB).

7. Your primary Associates in ACS: Frederick, Clara, and Henry are pretty much based off the Faction system in ACB with: Claudia, Bartolomeo, and La Volpe.

8. The Thames river is pretty much the upgraded version of the Tiber river in ACB (the latter pretty much only served as a lifeless decoration).

9. ACS pays homage to Ezio (arguably the most favourite character in the player-base). Remember Evie's cape and her "Requiescat in pace" line? Also that poster of Ezio in the Alhambra theather. And more.

In other words, you guys are literally playing a bigger, more updated version of one of your all-time AC favourites: Brotherhood. Yet, it doesn't seem to please you. I think as trophy hunters or completists, we're inundated by the sheer size of the cities and it doesn't help that Ubi is trying to fill up that space with content that can sometimes feel like it's part of a gargantuan checklist. When the older games came out, we were young. But now that we're older, we have less time and energy to dig through games that are getting larger and more daunting, despite them also improving on many aspects of their predecessors. I don't think taking a year off is going to do any good if the next game is just stuffed more filler as before.

For me, as I get older, I'm learning to either ignore the side content or complete them at a more deliberate pace (instead of just trying to finish a game asap so that I can move onto the next). Once I was able to ignore the "checklist" I felt free, I was able to actually have fun fighting Blighters, stealthing enemies, driving carriages, and admiring all the beauty and detail forged into the cities. Especially with the integrated Share button and SHAREfactory on the ps4, I'm now given the tools to truly appreciate the majesty of these games by making videos for them. 

Take a look and see what an amateur video editor can accomplish with this game:

Evie's Bloodlines music video

Jacob & Lydia's The Dance Begins music vid

Arno & Elise's Waking Dreams music vid

I encourage each and everyone that still wants to appreciate AC, to make your own fun, don't let the checklist dictate how you'll play the games. And most importantly, if you have feedback, criticisms, suggestions for future AC games, don't hesitate to write to Ubisoft. They need to hear from you and your friends, but it's not gonna happen when we only voice our opinions here. Do you guys ever wonder why the Ubi devs keep making each game with more and more fillers? Because there is another crowd of people that are vocal about their preferences, and for those that remain silent, they just base your e-opinon on the data from your save/trophy file (ie: Did this player complete all of these things? Did they get the trophy to break 5000 objects? Yes and yes? Okay, that means they love those things so we'll keep adding them.).

Here are my 2 cents on AC provided I haven't posted in this thread before:

ACIV is an Assassin's Creed game told from a unique outside perspective. Also Edward becomes a Master Assassin and says he's joining at the end, so I don't know what you're talking about.

That's exactly what I said. He doesn't become one until the end, meaning you're playing as a pirate the whole time, not an assassin. Which is why I liked it but it isn't really an Assassin's game. It's a pirate game

Edited by LeetWolf2

That's exactly what I said. He doesn't become one until the end, meaning you're playing as a pirate the whole time, not an assassin. Which is why I liked it but it isn't really an Assassin's game. It's a pirate game

Does that mean that AC2 wasn't an Assassin's game either because Ezio wasn't officially inducted until Sequence 11 (near the end)? He didn't even know that Paula, Volpe, Theodora, Bartolomeo, Antonio, and potentially Federico were actually Assassins until that moment.

What about ACU? Arno mainly joined the Assassins so that he could use their resources and training to redeem himself, he constantly disobeyed the council, was exiled from the Brotherhood for years, and he didn't actually realise the meaning of the Creed until the end.

And Syndicate? Both twins rarely interacted with any other Assassins (except George for the first 3.5 minutes of the game, and Henry for his brief guest appearances throughout). We don't even get to see the Assassin Council in Crawley. The Frye twins kept disagreeing with each other, and both disobeyed the Creed in their own ways. It wasn't until the end that they fully grasped the Creed, and understood their need for each other.

So what makes an Assassin's Creed game and who is considered an Assassin? The first requirement is that the game needs assassinations, which Black Flag has plenty of. Secondly, Altair makes it clear in the first game, "We are what we choose to be." In other words, he's describing the Creed once he fully understood it: to find your own truth, and to bear the consequences of your actions/decisions - these are what make you into you. The Creed of the Assassins is not a dogma, ultimately it's not a rigid set of laws, it's not a religion, and it doesn't exclude those that don't believe it or don't understand it. Donning an Assassin's robe doesn't automatically make someone into an Assassin, likewise someone who isn't wearing the hood might have a far better understanding of the Creed than one who does wear the hood (even if the former has no idea of the existence of the Assassins).

Edward's entire journey can be summed up by the Creed and his untimely, unfortunate comprehension of it. Therefore AC4 is an Assassin's Creed game.

• Like 2

Does that mean that AC2 wasn't an Assassin's game either because Ezio wasn't officially inducted until Sequence 11 (near the end)? He didn't even know that Paula, Volpe, Theodora, Bartolomeo, Antonio, and potentially Federico were actually Assassins until that moment.

What about ACU? Arno mainly joined the Assassins so that he could use their resources and training to redeem himself, he constantly disobeyed the council, was exiled from the Brotherhood for years, and he didn't actually realise the meaning of the Creed until the end.

And Syndicate? Both twins rarely interacted with any other Assassins (except George for the first 3.5 minutes of the game, and Henry for his brief guest appearances throughout). We don't even get to see the Assassin Council in Crawley. The Frye twins kept disagreeing with each other, and both disobeyed the Creed in their own ways. It wasn't until the end that they fully grasped the Creed, and understood their need for each other.

So what makes an Assassin's Creed game and who is considered an Assassin? The first requirement is that the game needs assassinations, which Black Flag has plenty of. Secondly, Altair makes it clear in the first game, "We are what we choose to be." In other words, he's describing the Creed once he fully understood it: to find your own truth, and to bear the consequences of your actions/decisions - these are what make you into you. The Creed of the Assassins is not a dogma, ultimately it's not a rigid set of laws, it's not a religion, and it doesn't exclude those that don't believe it or don't understand it. Donning an Assassin's robe doesn't automatically make someone into an Assassin, likewise someone who isn't wearing the hood might have a far better understanding of the Creed than one who does wear the hood (even if the former has no idea of the existence of the Assassins).

Edward's entire journey can be summed up by the Creed and his untimely, unfortunate comprehension of it. Therefore AC4 is an Assassin's Creed game.

Put it better than I ever could

Every time I've used the bold as an argument I get scoffed at lol. He was just a dude out for revenge at first.

In AC2 Ezio was guided by his father and uncle, given the tools he needed and taught all of the skills of being an Assassin and was one pretty much the whole game he just wasn't officially one

ACU in my opinion was an awful game and you just stated some of the reasons why I disliked it so much. He becomes an Assassin then just ignores orders then the council vanishes for half the story then when he finally goes back to them

he gets kicked out (for some reason this is a surprise to him). After his drunken losing-his-father's-watch blip,

he resumes being an Assassin even if it isn't official.

In Syndicate, the Fryes were taught by Assassin's and were a part of the order and everything they did was in the name of the Assassins. In my opinion the biggest flaw in the story is that there is no consequences for them disobeying their orders or even recognition for them conquering London

Everything Edward did was for his own personal gain because he was a pirate. He wasn't taught by Assassins or brought up by any. He wasn't aware of their existence until halfway through the game and rejected them. He only started following them after 

Mary died and he had that drunken dream

. The majority of the time he was a Pirate, not an Assassin.

Put it better than I ever could

-_-

If you enjoyed every game then that's your opinion, but you can't just go shunning every one else's and brushing it aside as nonsense. Respect other's opinions and they will respect yours.

In AC2 Ezio was guided by his father and uncle, given the tools he needed and taught all of the skills of being an Assassin and was one pretty much the whole game he just wasn't officially one

ACU in my opinion was an awful game and you just stated some of the reasons why I disliked it so much. He becomes an Assassin then just ignores orders then the council vanishes for half the story then when he finally goes back to them

he gets kicked out (for some reason this is a surprise to him). After his drunken losing-his-father's-watch blip,

he resumes being an Assassin even if it isn't official.

In Syndicate, the Fryes were taught by Assassin's and were a part of the order and everything they did was in the name of the Assassins. In my opinion the biggest flaw in the story is that there is no consequences for them disobeying their orders or even recognition for them conquering London

Everything Edward did was for his own personal gain because he was a pirate. He wasn't taught by Assassins or brought up by any. He wasn't aware of their existence until halfway through the game and rejected them. He only started following them after 

Mary died and he had that drunken dream

. The majority of the time he was a Pirate, not an Assassin.

-_-

If you enjoyed every game then that's your opinion, but you can't just go shunning every one else's and brushing it aside as nonsense. Respect other's opinions and they will respect yours.

He did not adhere to their Creed. He wore a hood and had a pointy wrist blade but he was just a revenge hound till the end of the game where he officially became an Assassin. He was ultimately helping out the Assassins but so was Edward, both for their own personal gain at first but I find Edward's personal motivations much less cliche and a lot more compelling.

Edward's story is an AC story to the core because its a philosophical exploration of the Creed and one man's acceptance of said Creed. The fact that we spent so much time with him before he became an assassin allowed a unique perspective on the conflict and made his eventual adherence and loyalty to the Assassins more believable. We see him grow as a character, quite convincingly so.

ACU's story was bad yeah I agree but not really for those reasons. It felt like they were setting it up to be like Ezio/Edward in nature only Arno's growth never arrives, which if they bothered to flesh out the love story would be okay but instead we end up with Arno as a...master assassin? how does that make ANY sense is still beyond me to this day. He doesn't stick to his personal agenda nor does he adhere to the creed he just kinda does things which made the story incredibly weak along with its misuse of the setting.

Disagreeing with you and wanting discussion is shunning your opinion? what?

I just said I agree with the lad in his response to you. I'm no more shunning your opinion than you are mine by explaining your stance.

I wasn't going to enter the discussion as I've done it a million times here, there and everywhere...but if I'm not mistaken Ezio didn't know anything about the Assassins until after his father died. His uncle informed him of things. In fact I don't even think he wanted anything to do with it at first just like Edward didn't.

Both Ezio and Edward joined the Assassins late in their debut games. Both used the Assassins towards their own ends at first. So while Edward might have been a pirate for most of his game it doesn't make a difference because as you said...Ezio wasn't "officially" an Assassin either. He was just a nobleman out for blood while being aware of the two warring groups much like Edward was out for treasure whilst not giving a damn about either side. As pointed out before...the game served as the story to them joining the order. Served to show their characters grow from the untested, self serving, individuals into people who devoted their lives to something else.

I've seen this argument played out so many times but what it boils down to is that people didn't like the fact that Edward was pirate first. That has been the single factor brought up when people see that Ezio's story and Edward's story has more in common than they care to believe. 

EDIT: Not totally clean I'm sure but fixed up some grammar. My finger likes to hit that apostrophe key when it's not supposed to. :devil: 

Edited by Avatar_Of_Battle
  • Like 1

He did not adhere to their Creed. He wore a hood and had a pointy wrist blade but he was just a revenge hound till the end of the game where he officially became an Assassin. He was ultimately helping out the Assassins but so was Edward, both for their own personal gain at first but I find Edward's personal motivations much less cliche and a lot more compelling.

Edward's story is an AC story to the core because its a philosophical exploration of the Creed and one man's acceptance of said Creed. The fact that we spent so much time with him before he became an assassin allowed a unique perspective on the conflict and made his eventual adherence and loyalty to the Assassins more believable. We see him grow as a character, quite convincingly so.

Disagreeing with you and wanting discussion is shunning your opinion? what?

I just said I agree with the lad in his response to you. I'm no more shunning your opinion than you are mine by explaining your stance.

I did not get that at all, for me it was just him being a pirate then changing his ways because his world was crumbling around him. Don't get me wrong, I feel it's one of the best in the series and I completely agree that he has some great character development but it doesn't convince me this is an Assassin game. He's being a pirate, not an assassin.

I didn't mean me, I've seen the other posts in this thread and you were being quite dismissive with others opinions as if they were wrong, rather than taking them as what they are  actually are.

I wasn't going to enter the discussion as I've done it a million times here, there and everywhere...but if I'm not mistaken Ezio didn't know anything about the Assassins until after his father died. His uncle informed him of things. In fact I don't even think he wanted anything to do with it at first just like Edward didn't.

Both Ezio and Edward joined the Assassins late in their debut games. Both used the Assassins towards their own ends at first. So while Edward might have been a pirate for most of his game it doesn't make a difference because as you said...Ezio wasn't "officially" an Assassin either. He was just a nobleman out for blood while being aware of the two warring groups much like Edward was out for treasure whilst not giving a damn about either side. As pointed out before...the game served as the story to them joining the order. Served to show their characters grow from the untested, self serving, individuals into people who devoted their lives to something else.

I've seen this argument played out so many times but what it boils down to is that people didn't like the fact that Edward was pirate first. That has been the single factor brought up when people see that Ezio's story and Edward's story has more in common than they care to believe. 

He was aware of the Assassins and joined Mario after sequence 2, he wasn't interested at first but after Mario trained and taught him he agreed to help him in the same sequence. Yes, revenge was his main motivator but he was still helping his uncle and the assassins throughout the game. The difference with Edward being that he was accidentally helping the Assassins because he wanted money (via the observatory) and the Templars were getting in his way.

That last bit makes no sense to me as I feel the opposite, I loved the fact that he was a pirate and disliked it when he went and joined the Assassin's Cult.

I did not get that at all, for me it was just him being a pirate then changing his ways because his world was crumbling around him. Don't get me wrong, I feel it's one of the best in the series and I completely agree that he has some great character development but it doesn't convince me this is an Assassin game. He's being a pirate, not an assassin.

I didn't mean me, I've seen the other posts in this thread and you were being quite dismissive with others opinions as if they were wrong, rather than taking them as what they are  actually are.

He was aware of the Assassins and joined Mario after sequence 2, he wasn't interested at first but after Mario trained and taught him he agreed to help him in the same sequence. Yes, revenge was his main motivator but he was still helping his uncle and the assassins throughout the game. The difference with Edward being that he was accidentally helping the Assassins because he wanted money (via the observatory) and the Templars were getting in his way.

That last bit makes no sense to me as I feel the opposite, I loved the fact that he was a pirate and disliked it when he went and joined the Assassin's Cult.

His world crumbled around him, and where did he find hope and guidance?

the Assassin's Creed. That's what makes this game's story an AC story, sure you're not technically playing an Assassin most of the time but as a journey of self discovery it embodies the philosophy of the series in numerous way.

Ezio knew of the Assassin's by sequence 2 but he did not help them out directly. He accepted training yes but not induction into the order. Much like Edward, he had a personal gain that aligned with what the Assassin's wanted. Edward also knew what the Assassins wanted but he did those things anyways, he wasn't unaware of their goals and happening to help them out along the way.

And just because I don't preface what I obviously hold as my opinions with ''IMO'' all the time doesn't mean I think they're fact. Ultimately the point of a forum is discussion, like this.

The problem I'm having with your statements...is that the same could be said of Ezio in almost every regard. 

Agreeing to help =/= joining.  The point still stands that Ezio wasn't an Assassin anymore than Edward was an Assassin or a Templar when he agreed to help both sides when it suited him. Neither cared about the Assassin/Templar struggle while focused on their own agenda. Time and actions don't change that fact. Sequences don't really matter either when the games span years...wasn't it about 10 or so years between when Ezio saw the execution and when he actually joined? (AC2 was...long as hell from what I remember when it came to the passing of time.) Edward started actively helping the Assassins, without being one, like a year into the game when he defended their headquarters? I don't remember the exact sequence where he pretty much stopped helping Templars in to further himself though. (I thought it was 2 or 3 after he released the Sage?) And if I'm not mistaken joined them in less time than Ezio due to Mary's death? Time factors for this point in the discussion don't exactly favor Ezio. 

Personally, I see it as Edward being a Pirate playing Assassin and transforming into an Assassin due to the events in his life reshaping him. Just as I saw Ezio playing the Assassin to take revenge and along the way becoming the model Assassin everyone saw him to be. Aside from AC, ACR, and ACS the characters grow into Assassins. The games mentioned that go against that formula tend to have actual members that fall upon a crisis of sorts and have to sort their shit out lol. 

The last bit was more of a broad statement...I can be vague sometimes. :P it's just the single point most people bring to me in this particular debate. Edward's not my favorite Assassin but Black Flag is my favorite of the games. (Altair is my favorite if Shay doesn't count as a character here. :P )

I've played the AC games until Black Flag expect for Liberation and the only one i still want to play to be done with this series is Rogue and maybe Liberation HD .

I have no incentive to play the "next-gen" ones like Unity and Syndicate so for me the series has ended .

But if your assassinating people the whole time wouldn't that make you an assassin? No reason he cant be a pirate assassin :P . 

I'll always buy AC games, albeit for $10-30. The series keeps getting better & better with each entry, especially Unity. If people consider ACU bad and ACS good, then I'm really stoked to try ACS.

As for the AC4 debate, who really cares? Ubisoft have declared it an AC game, so there's no reason to argue it. As long as the protagonist develops into a true assassin by the end of the game, it's an AC game.

I've only played I, II and Revelations. I regret missing out on Brotherhood though. Do you guys think I could still start it now or is it too late? I worry about the online trophies.

You have good reason to worry, as ACB is the toughest plat in the series due to the MP. That being said, there's always people trying to boost it so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding people.

So no it's not too late, but the clock's ticking...

• Like 1

You have good reason to worry, as ACB is the toughest plat in the series due to the MP. That being said, there's always people trying to boost it so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding people.

So no it's not too late, but the clock's ticking...

Truth being told that is why I skipped it in the first place, I hate the multiplayer in AC, but I can't help but feel like I've missed out on one of the good ones.

Looking here to see if there are any gaming sessions going for it to find there's only one really doesn't fill me with confidence :S

Truth being told that is why I skipped it in the first place, I hate the multiplayer in AC, but I can't help but feel like I've missed out on one of the good ones.

Yeah the Assassins Creed Multiplayer is the type of you love it or you hate it situation. I personally enjoy it and thought Brotherhoods was the best. Also dont let trophies stop you from playing the story. If you must just simply play it on a new user.

Yeah the Assassins Creed Multiplayer is the type of you love it or you hate it situation. I personally enjoy it and thought Brotherhoods was the best. Also dont let trophies stop you from playing the story. If you must just simply play it on a new user.

That is true, I have contemplated just playing it on an alt account but at the same time it would be nice to have the complete Ezio trilogy on my profile. It's a tough one. :hmm:

• Like 1

His world crumbled around him, and where did he find hope and guidance?

the Assassin's Creed. That's what makes this game's story an AC story, sure you're not technically playing an Assassin most of the time but as a journey of self discovery it embodies the philosophy of the series in numerous ways.

Ezio knew of the Assassins by sequence 2 but he did not help them out directly. He accepted training yes but not induction into the order. Much like Edward, he had a personal gain that aligned with what the Assassins wanted. Edward also knew what the Assassins wanted but he did those things anyway, he wasn't unaware of their goals and happening to help them out along the way.

And just because I don't preface what I obviously hold as my opinions with ''IMO'' all the time doesn't mean I think they're fact. Ultimately the point of a forum is discussion, like this.

Yes he did. At the end of the game. The majority of it was spent being a pirate.

He wasn't offered induction into the order. I don't feel his revenge was the only reason he was helping the assassins, as Ezio genuinely cared about those around him especially his family. You could argue the same thing with Edward but none of his family were Assassins and "James" (the only one who was an Assassin that he knew) wasn't even a close friend at first. Edward only cared about personal gain and that happened to help out the Assassins but also hindered them at times and he didn't care. I don't recall Ezio ever intentionally sabotaging the Assassins plans or abandoning them when they asked for his aid.

Yeah but the way you say certain things can be interpreted as quite negative, just be careful how you word things.

On an unrelated note, I'm glad we can agree on Unity's story being bad. Everyone else I've chatted to about it says "yeah the gameplay isn't great but at least the story is good", which I completely disagree with.

Edited by LeetWolf2

Yes he did. At the end of the game. The majority of it was spent being a pirate.

He wasn't offered induction into the order. I don't feel his revenge was the only reason he was helping the assassins, as Ezio genuinely cared about those around him especially his family. You could argue the same thing with Edward but none of his family were Assassins and "James" (the only one who was an Assassin that he knew) wasn't even a close friend at first. Edward only cared about personal gain and that happened to help out the Assassins but also hindered them at times and he didn't care. I don't recall Ezio ever intentionally sabotaging the Assassins plans or abandoning them when they asked for his aid.

Yeah but the way you say certain things can be interpreted as quite negative, just be careful how you word things.

On an unrelated note, I'm glad we can agree on Unity's story being bad. Everyone else I've chatted to about it says "yeah the gameplay isn't great but at least the story is good", which I completely disagree with.

I just don't see anything wrong with that. Its a character evolving and developing over the course of the game, what matters is he reaches the end point where he accepts the Assassins and they accept them.

It literally was his only motivation. He did not follow or join the order till the very end, he didn't even know a bunch of his allies were Assassins till the very end. Their interests aligned and they worked together and he did assassin-y things because that's how he was trained, but his story mirrors Edward's. Ezio's family being assassins matters not because he only knew about that after his dad died and before he could reveal it to him so it had no impact on him as a person.

Edward ended up helping the Templars at the very beginning because his personal goal differs from Ezio but its the principal that mattered: both were after personal gain, both ended up accepting the Creed after realizing the futility of their endeavor [although Ezio sparing Rodrigo is sequel bait bullshit and makes no sense story wise but w/e.]

• 3 weeks later...

I guess I am that type of gamer that Danny mentions that enjoys open world sandboxes, because 8 hours in and I am loving Syndicate.  I do agree with him that 2 and Brotherhood are the pinnacle of the series, but right after that I would have Black Flag and Syndicate.

• 2 weeks later...