Home vs. Handheld

navep9

Many people own a handheld console, (ex. DS, PSP), but are they really that great? I don't think so. While 10% of the time you might get a good game, the other 90% of the time you end up getting screwed out of a good game that got the short end of the stick. Many times game publishers abuse the handheld versions of a game to make a quality experience for the home platform. All of the other times it's just a company making the same game with a different name ( I'm looking at you Nintendo). Many other reasons contribute to the lack of effort to make handheld games. If any of you own and are passionate towards handheld systems, here's my advice: buy games that were made SPECIFICLY for that platform or else, like I said above, it would most likely get the short end of the stick. Feel free to reply cause... NAVEP9 out! :ninja:

I'm a pure console player myself. Haven't bought a handheld since the green screen Nintendo. Although there are a few games out there that tempt into buying one, I never plan on playing games when I'm out of the house so it seems unneccessary.

There are some great handheld games out there, you just can't be just blowing your money on every game released. I specifically bought a DS for Pokemon games and I'd say that was worth it.

Well see, I don't blow my money on every game, but there are ads that are misleading. So when I see a game that is great on the consoles, I find a crappy touch screen gimmick that says gamestop right away.

im a console player mostly but after i got the vita ive totally changed my perspective on handheld gaming...

its very true that they end up with the short end of the stick... LEGO games ive notices specifically... not sure how the lego games are for the vita.

for example the lego star wars complete saga was much shorter of a game on the DS than it was on console.

but from what ive noticed about Disgaea 3 it has been the same as the PS3 version on the vita...

im a console player mostly but after i got the vita ive totally changed my perspective on handheld gaming...

its very true that they end up with the short end of the stick... LEGO games ive notices specifically... not sure how the lego games are for the vita.

for example the lego star wars complete saga was much shorter of a game on the DS than it was on console.

but from what ive noticed about Disgaea 3 it has been the same as the PS3 version on the vita...

I made the mistake of getting Lego HP 5-7 for my vita and I regret it. It's just a shitty port of the Nintendo version. Resistance Burning Skies was ok at best. But I was truly surprised at the quality of Uncharted Golden Abyss.

Oh god how I hate portable lego games. Their graphics suck, the levels are much shorter, and the controls are wierd.

I love my home consoles and I love my handhelds as well. I have a a list floating around this site somewhere of all the systems I own, and out of all of the handhelds I own the Vita is by far the best. I really don't ever take my handhelds with me anywhere but I do like to put Netflix on the PS3 and sit and play my Vita or other handhelds.

I do agree that most console ports of games do tend to be lackluster. However that isn't always the case as Disgaea 3 has proved. F1 2011 is a great title for the Vita as well however it has severely altered physics (they're not bad but not as deep as the console versions) and the graphics aren't up to Vita standards. Handhelds will always have a place in my collection and even if they get poor ports, they generally always have some great exclusive games.

Parker

I'm all about the home system. I'm ingenious enough to make them portable to a point that I can have whatever gaming system I want with me when I'm driving over the road.

The last handheld I ever owned was a bit before the gameboy era....

mattel_baseball_large.jpg

Oh man, I remember I used to have one of those Electronic Football Tiger handheld things...along with some Road Racer game, a fishing rod game thing that look like an early version of a wiimote, and a Yahtzee handheld.

Nowadays I only really use my 3DS, and I only really use that for the retro games on the VC. My Game Gear is pretty much dead, Pokemon bores the hell out of me now, so I don't play my DS or GBA much, only reason I'd play my GBA is probably the Castlevania Double Pack I picked up earlier this year.

I will however backup Disgaea 3... it is amazing and i enjoy it more that playing it on the console.

oh... and Dungeon Hunter Alliance feels like it belongs on the handheld... loving that one also

Edited by piggie_pie

I'm all about the home system. I'm ingenious enough to make them portable to a point that I can have whatever gaming system I want with me when I'm driving over the road.

The last handheld I ever owned was a bit before the gameboy era....

mattel_baseball_large.jpg

I had one of these beauties:

bmx01.jpg

$(KGrHqJ,!p8E63Zwg4W(BPCdqU1dZg~~60_35.JPG

• Like 1

Home consoles all the way, but the Game Boys were great handhelds. I can't tell you how many hours I poured into Tetris or Pokemon in the bathrooms of school and stuff.

Edited by Deth
  • Like 1