upgrading: lets talk CALMLY about it

Stargazer2600

Now before i even start this i wanna ask that you PLEASE talk with respect to me and others. Don't go all keyboard warrior or whatever and start acting like a d-bag. Cause frankley im in one mindset but im trying to see this from the other perspective so just work with me here.

Now, i'm 26 and i been in gaming A LONG time, prolly been gaming since before even some of you were born (idk the age of everyone on here). I remember being a real small kid, like 4 or so and seeing SNES being sold in stores along with the games. I remember when pokeon came out, i remember when the N64 was released and i remember the first playtation and so on so forth. Wanna know what i don't remember? people making a huge fuss about upgrading

When the SNES came out that was a big thing and when the N64 came out. you didnt hear people say "oh man you gotta f***ing upgrade, your holding us back" or "get with the times you f***ing dips**t". When PS2 came out you didnt hear people insulting and more or less pushing others to buy the PS2 and when PS3 came out there may have been a little pushing but nothing to huge. Its only been this last generation that has been really pushing it.

we have game developers promising ports for PS3/360 and then not delivering (looking at you netherealms and now robomodo)
we have people just outright insulting those who arnt ready to upgrade
and in the end its all pretty pointless and stupid

Now should we all upgrade at some point? yeah, at some point you should. has that point arrived? no, it hasnt and ill explain why

The PS3 has WAY to much to just toss out. yes i know its cause its been around longer but, if you want people to upgrade, don't insult them and say "i hope they stop making games for last gen" and dont promise ports and not deliver. Instead make those ports but on the newer gen give us a reason to upgrade. a perfect example is GTAV for PS4, or make a game exclusive for that system so your tempted to get the system for that game, a perfect example is fallout 4. However dont promise a last gen port and dont deliver.

I also get really tired of hearing people saying "move on, PS3 is dead". Thats actually a really idiotic opinion since i cant call it a statement. No console really dies. Atari, NES, anything from sega, gambeoy, etc. some of those are 30+ years and yet people still play them and some people still play them daily. The PS3/360 will never be a "dead console"

The people saying these things are also the people who have had a PS4 early on or are getting one soon. I bet that if they didnt have a PS4 and were stuck only to PS3, they wouldnt be saying even half the things they say. and i wanna add that this isnt every PS4 owner but from what i see, its a huge chunk. Now let me tell you that i am getting a PS4. Im just waiting till after christmas since i have been told im getting PS4 games and i wanna see what i get so i can adjust my game list. That being said i have also played the PS4 so trying to knock my reasons for that wont work.

But this current generation is really forcing it upon us by insulting those who either cant or arnt ready to upgrade and im really trying to understand why? why cant you just accept that some people arnt ready? I mean if it wasnt for fallout 4, I wouldnt even consider a PS4 yet. However once i get my PS4 ill still play and buy games for the PS3. Is this really what some people are becoming? Last night i shook my head as i was reading some comments and i thought of this scenario as if it happen next week

guy 1: awesome!!! a new game for PS3

guy 2: F that man, you need to upgrade. the f***ing PS3 is dead you ne-

Sony: introducing PS5!!!!

guy 2: screw PS4 you need a PS5

guy 1: but...why you were just saying how go-

guy 2: GET A FUCKING PS5!!!!!!

Now is that a little stretched? yeah i mean Sony isnt gonna release a PS5 next week lol but i think you all get my point. I mean i understand better graphics and such but if thats REALLY the case then why hasnt all this hard pushing started with earlier consoles? why is it this one? In the end, if you push people to hard, you push them away.

• Like 1

It's certainly messed up that some people are like that, but I doubt it has anything to do with people being any different now than they were back then.

I'm 26 as well, and I'd like to remind you that we were children when these older consoles were coming out, and there was also no means for people to express their opinions to anyone other than the people close to them. So, since we were kids, we didn't care or pay attention to what people in their 20s, 30s, or even older, were saying about games. I'm sure there were people complaining about NES games still coming out when the SNES was out back then, we just didn't hear about it in our schools. I mean, how many children do you talk to about video games? Would you really want to walk up and discuss your opinions about games with a 10 year old? And most importantly, would you want to intentionally express your negative opinions about games to children? I certainly don't.

Once again, we were children. We didn't pay attention to what was going on in the industry. I guarantee that there were people that complained about the same thing back then. It's just that now that we're adults, and people can express their opinions with the world, we've just become more aware of that kind of thing.

• Like 4

I personally am trying to get a ps3 again because there's still games that I want to play on it that I own, but I don't think that I will be buying anything new for it (well maybe Drakengard 3.. other then that I will be buying Vita or PS4 versions to try to move fully to PS4)..

But I do think that devs should start to stop making PS3 games by now.. it was the same on PS2/PS3 change, we are 2 years into PS4, you can't expect them to keep focusing on PS3 forever, specially with the cost it takes to develop games nowadays..

Also 1 big thing changed in the gaming market, until about the halfway point of PS3 life, gaming was a niche thing in general, but after the CoD boom for shooters, the increase in mobile gaming and the huge increase of casual gamers, the market changed and now it's ruled by them, same as cinema, music, TV... This is the main reason why the PS4 upgrade is kind of being forced unto everyone (same with all the social crap that's infesting the current gen.. it didn't existed in the other gens, nor was needed, but that's something that the casuals like, so it got implemented).

In all seriousness, for me the PS4 started to be worth having after they released Bloodbourne, FF Type-0, and now Disgaea 5, Tales of Zesteria (tough it's a ps3 port) and I was hopping for the FFVII from steam as well as Persona 5 to be released this year.. Still I think that the time when the PS4 will start to be really worth it is by next year, when FFXV, Persona 5 and a lot of heavy hitter will start to be actually released..

Note: My main reason for buying the PS4 is Persona 5..

It's certainly messed up that some people are like that, but I doubt it has anything to do with people being any different now than they were back then.

I'm 26 as well, and I'd like to remind you that we were children when these older consoles were coming out, and there was also no means for people to express their opinions to anyone other than the people close to them. So, since we were kids, we didn't care or pay attention to what people in their 20s, 30s, or even older, were saying about games. I'm sure there were people complaining about NES games still coming out when the SNES was out back then, we just didn't hear about it in our schools. I mean, how many children do you talk to about video games? Would you really want to walk up and discuss your opinions about games with a 10 year old? And most importantly, would you want to intentionally express your negative opinions about games to children? I certainly don't.

Once again, we were children. We didn't pay attention to what was going on in the industry. I guarantee that there were people that complained about the same thing back then. It's just that now that we're adults, and people can express their opinions with the world, we've just become more aware of that kind of thing.

fair enough, you make a solid point on that. i did kinda laugh a bit when you said

" Would you really want to walk up and discuss your opinions about games with a 10 year old?"

i mean i tell 10 year olds every week that CoD games suck major ass lol

I still haven't bought a PS4 (getting one next month though). I don't see anything wrong with people keeping their old system, as long as it doesn't affect the quality of the new games.

If a new game gets released, and it's being made for both PS4 and PS3, it's being held back. The game will never be as big as the developers want, because they try to make it fair for all players, and build it on 8 year old hardware. I have been saying this for over a year, and I'm just now getting a PS4.

The PS4 has been out for 2 years now. I do think it's time for developers to move on, and start only making games for the current gen. If they promise a port, then yes they should deliver. Otherwise, they should stop focusing on last gen, and keep focusing on the future.

I agree with ExHaseo to an extent - people trying to convince others to upgrade to a new and better system has always gone on - it's not limited to the current generation.  I'm just shy of 34 - I can remember when Sega released the Master System console when I was very young, but I never felt I had to ask my parents to buy a Mega Drive upon its release so I could have a better console.  I had friends who owned a Mega Drive, so i could just play theirs if I happened to be round at their house.  This was years before the Internet came into being, so the only way we could compare notes on this kind of thing was by talking to each other face to face.  You might get teased about having an older, weaker console now and then, but you didn't really bother, because you were just happy to have any console at all.  As Exhaseo pointed out, when you're a child, you don't pay any attention to the industry, because you don't care about that kind of thing when you're a child.

When the Playstation came out in the mid-90s, my brothers and I got one from our parents for Xmas, and of course it was far superior to any games console we'd played previously.  By the time the PS2 arrived, I was working and could afford to buy one myself, but I waited two full years before doing so, and then did the same thing again when the PS3 launched.  In part, this was because I was still playing games from the previous system, but mostly it was because I just didn't feel any pressure whatsoever to have the latest console.  I still don't - I don't plan to upgrade to PS4 for at least another full year, and perhaps not even then.  I could care less if someone thinks I'm "holding everyone else back" by staying on last-gen - people with that mindset need to understand that not everyone can afford to shell out hundreds of pounds/dollars/whatever on a brand-new console. 

As Stargazer rightly pointed out, no system ever truly "dies" - there are still people who play their Commodore 64s and Spectrum ZXs, for crying out loud.  The PS3 and X360 still have a lot of life left in them yet, and gamers who are still playing these consoles shouldn't be made to feel any pressure whatsoever to buy a newer console instead.  Ultimately, when all is said and done, it's no one else's business what you're playing, and it's certainly no one else's place to tell you to "get with the times".  If you wait to buy a new system, like I tend to do, then by the time you do buy it, any kinks and bugs it may have had will be long since ironed out, there will likely be a better and cheaper model available, and of course there will be many more games available for you to choose from.  The PS3 had a weak lineup upon its release, with none of Playstation's staple franchises - Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, Street Fighter, Twisted Metal, Grand Theft Auto, etc - being available at the time.  PS4 also had a less than stellar lineup upon release - why would you want to immediately buy a console that has so few of your preferred franchises available for it?

• Like 1

What forums have you been going to OP?

It's not complicated IMO. If you want to play PS3 games, buy a PS3. If you want to play PS4 games, you'll need a PS4. Etc etc.

It's no one else's business what you do with your free time.

they arnt forus but things like

posts on fb on ps3/ game threads

reviewers like reviewtechusa

and that sort. people who are always saying "give it up, you have to move on"

they arnt forus but things like

posts on fb on ps3/ game threads

reviewers like reviewtechusa

and that sort. people who are always saying "give it up, you have to move on"

You have seen stuff like this around here? Because your whole "LETS TALK CALMLY ABOUT THIS PEOPLE, PUT DOWN THE TORCHES AND PITCHFORKS" are surprising to me. Haven't seen anyone here saying stupid shit like that and I spend a lot of time on this forums. It's not because there are assholes out there that you gonna find the same people here as well, chill. :)

• Like 1

You have seen stuff like this around here? Because your whole "LETS TALK CALMLY ABOUT THIS PEOPLE, PUT DOWN THE TORCHES AND PITCHFORKS" are surprising to me. Haven't seen anyone here saying stupid shit like that and I spend a lot of time on this forums. It's not because there are assholes out there that you gonna find the same people here as well, chill. :)

No i learned for the most part this place can be pretty chill. Thats why i wanted to ask it here instead of on the fb posts but its always best to take precaution. i mean theres a lot of people on here and im sure theres a few of the "upgrade or die bro" people around. I'ts mainly just precaution in case i drew in any of them is all

im sure theres a few of the "upgrade or die bro" people around

Nah, people around here learn fast that they must not shove their opinions down anyone's throats, regardless if they are right or wrong about the subject. No need to be that cautious next time, you seem to point out your opinion nicely, so it's unlikely that you are going to get any backlash either.

• Like 1

I still haven't bought a PS4, and I have never sold or thrown away any of my older consoles. I got tons of games for all the consoles I got, why would I sell or throw away the one thing that makes me able to play those games? =P

Also, I still actually play older games.

Edited by MMDE

Being a former owner of a PS4, I can honestly say; wait. Buying either new-gen system is a waste of money at the moment. Waiting for not only more exclusive games that are actually amazing rather than just "pretty good" is one benefit. Waiting for a price drop is another, Then there's this rumour that Sony might release a new PS4 with more power so in my opinion, waiting is the best option. Stick with a PS3 for now

Now should we all upgrade at some point? yeah, at some point you should. has that point arrived? no, it hasnt and ill explain why

I want to address this in so many ways, but since you're concerned about the vague topic I quoted, let me explain this to you:

I don't consider buying a PS4 an "upgrade." In no way to I see it as an "upgrade." It's not the same thing as a PS3, only slightly better, which is what it would need to be to be better and even come close to fulfilling being an upgrade. PS3, Vita and PS4 are competition. Right now, I choose Vita and PS3. In the future, I will ALSO get a PS4. That doesn't mean I upgraded.

"Upgrading" implies things are binary, this OR that, only ONE option. Tell anyone to thinks of getting a PS4 or an Xbone as "upgrading" to stop being so close minded, or just ignore them. The most... um... passionate of them aren't even worth listening to. Especially when the smartest among us know that if their whole lame concept of "Upgrading" were true, everyone would actually be upgrading to Vitas, not PS4's.  B)

• Like 1

I've never had somebody tell me I had to upgrade. In fact, I rarely see it at all. I can't blame them for saying it, sometimes. They are putting less effort in to PS3/360 games than they were when they were the "current" consoles, which is definitely discouraging. 

That aside; people shouldn't be telling you that you have to upgrade. Some people want to buy these new consoles as soon as they launch, some buy them once a fair amount of games are are available so it's worth it. We aren't really in a place to tell other people when that is. :dunno:

When you were 4, I highly doubted you were surfing the net; I mean that was what? 1993?? internet wasnt that accessible then hence why you didnt come upon the d-bag as much as you would now.

I've had some of my friends telling me that i should go ahead and buy a PS4, but that's mainly because they wanted to play with me, haha. I myself didn't buy it, it was my sister who did so we're sharing it, but 90% of the time i get to use it since she's very busy with her job & stuff, guess i'm lucky! Plus, we still have two PS3s and whenever she wants to play on the PS4 i can simply go back to one of our PS3s.

Honestly, i think the PS4 itself is great! It just lacks good games IMO, the console is definitely better than the PS3 (no more laggy XMB and the Share button is amazing) but as of right now the PS3 still has better games than the PS4, but i think that's because the PS3 has more games overall and because most of the (good) games on the PS4 are also on the PS3, doesn't matter if it's a remaster or a game that's on both consoles by default. (i.e Destiny)

I do think it's really stupid when people look down upon others when you don't have or don't plan to buy a current gen console, people will use anything to try and look better than you, especially on the internet since we're all behind a screen. I think you should ignore those dumb comments on Facebook (or any other place), it's healthier this way... lol.

Just remember that each person has a different view on the subject because each of us like different types of games and genres, look at the things the PS4 has to offer and decide it for yourself if you want to buy it now or not. 

• Like 1

Take a look at the system and games and if there is enough there to justify the purchase price for you, then buy the system or "upgrade." For some people there aren't enough games on the PS4 to justify the $399 price tag, for others there are more than enough games or features to justify the price. 

As for the comments of the PS3 holding PS4 development back, the argument could certainly be made for it. The PS3 is less powerful than the PS4 by a fairly significant margin so if a developer knows they have to develop the game for both systems it stands to reason there are things that the PS4 is capable of that won't be able to be implemented because the PS3 isn't powerful enough. Of course these days it seems other studios develop the PS3 ports and a lot of the times the PS3 game has less features than the current gen version. 

Really though, who the fuck cares what some random person on the internet says? Video games are meant to be played for enjoyment, if you're still enjoying you PS3 then continue to play it. I still play my Atari 2600, Genesis, Vectrex, SNES and many others along with my PS4, I couldn't care less whether or not someone else thinks those other systems are garbage or the PS4 isn't worth the money yet. I enjoy them and that is all that matters. 

Parker

• Like 3

Take a look at the system and games and if there is enough there to justify the purchase price for you, then buy the system or "upgrade." For some people there aren't enough games on the PS4 to justify the $399 price tag, for others there are more than enough games or features to justify the price. 

Parker

What about the new $349.99 price tag? lol2-onion-head-emoticon.gif?1292862512

----------------------------------------

OT:

I think it's the generation to be honest. The mindset of "upgrade to the newest and coolest thing or else" is a cowardly attitude most people have nowadays from what I've seen. It doesn't even just relate to gaming. Upgrading is solely your responsibility. People can chime in with opinions as to why/why not but in the end that list needs to be determined by you as to whether or not it's time. Money, responsibilities, time, and necessity isn't something someone on the internet can determine for you lol.