Can you play with a regular controller?

Xecution149

the instruments are really pricey and I wouldn't be able to pick them up right away when/if i get the game

Ah, right, fair question then :)

I don't know because I don't have it, but I'm fairly sure RB1-3 didn't have this feature. If you really can't afford it, I know you can pick up second hand legacy guitars for under $20 on Trademe, so that may help in some way? If not, free bump for you.

I actually had to do this at one point for Guitar Hero II. Back before I was really into them, I borrowed the game from a friend but he wouldn't let me borrow his controller so I just played through the songs with my trusty DualShock 2. I played on easy though, and the one song I really wanted was Carry On Wayward Son (I was into Supernatural at the time) and I later found out it, and a few others, were locked off to medium and higher. I was quite sad.

Then I ended up buying the game with a guitar for like 12 bucks at EB in the good old days when these things were everywhere. I was pretty stoked at the time, hell, I still have that guitar, it's right there, works perfect too. It's also a lot more fun to use than the new thing GH Live has, but whatever.