Why is there no HATE for Telltale Games Games?

elfennf

I was playing through tales from borderlands and game of thrones first episodes that was free to download on the psn store.  Lots of people complain and throw hissy fits about games like terminator salvation or magus, but really these are much much worse. u do the minimum and get a gold/platinum trophy. I agree they are not bad games, but most people are playing them for the very easy trophies and not the story.

I hate the Walking Dead games. They both suck until the final chapters, and even then Season 2's ending is pretty meh.

But the Borderlands one is easily the best Telltale game I've ever played, the humour, emotion and characters were all superb.

I was playing through tales from borderlands and game of thrones first episodes that was free to download on the psn store.  Lots of people complain and throw hissy fits about games like terminator salvation or magus, but really these are much much worse. u do the minimum and get a gold/platinum trophy. I agree they are not bad games, but most people are playing them for the very easy trophies and not the story.

Well, first of all, I don't think this is true. I think most people do play Telltale's games for the story but that's not the point anyway.

I guess it's because Magus and Terminator are horrible games and people "complain and throw hissy fits" because of people who played these terrible games for the trophies. Telltale's games are actually good.

Edited by HolyFad

What is your complaint about them? Why do the easy trophies bother you? You already said the games were not bad isn't that what gaming is about? Although most people love the games, me included, I do think Telltale has started getting some hate as you put it. Recently they have so many titles their release schedule is all over the place. Borderlands and GoT have had very large gaps between episodes. Once the final episode of GoT is released it will have been 3 months since the last which is much longer than it normally is. They released Minecraft story mode a few weeks ago, coincidence i think not.

Edited by Cleggworth

Its also a better experience if you are a fan of the world they are set in. Less about mere trophies and more of an interactive graphic novel. Sometimes its fun not to have to play a long drawn out rpg for a good story. 

For instance without reading the books then GoT TT doesn't give quite the same atmosphere of political intrigue and backstabbing. Even the HBO show can't quite put the same spin since you're not hearing the characters thoughts about what they are speaking and why.

TWD is easier because zombies so the characters and story is all there is to draw the player into the emotional and dramatic experience. Imo the show rates a bit better but you are invested in Clementine in a different manner that makes you anxious for the next season.

Haven't played the borderlands one or wolf amongst us and wont be doing the minecraft game at all.

Do agree with Clegg about their release dates, I think their success is going to be their downfall if they dont get it under control.

• Like 1

Even though Tell Tale games lack challenge, there is still some value to the games in terms of story telling.  The stories are fairly powerful and well written.  

Some of the hated on games have no redeeming features and you grit your teeth through playing them for the plat then block out the memories afterwards.

I think HATE (in capital letters) is a bit strong for games that tell a good story. If a game doesn't have a multiplayer element, side quests, high scores or whatever then the trophies have to be purely story based so I don't have a problem with what Tell Tale does with them. Ultimately, it is the game experience that matters most to me, not the trophies. The trophies are a nice accompaniment to a game and a good trophy list can add a lot to a good game, much like the right wine with a meal, but trophies are not the be-all-and-end-all of the gaming experience. Maybe I think that because I am old enough to remember old school adventure games, long before trophies, when you used to play for the story.... *goes all misty-eyed and tries to find all 12 floppy discs for Monkey Island 2*

• Like 3

You don't love or hate a game based on trophies because trophies are a side activity you judge games based on overall quality and enjoyment telltale games generally have great stories and since they're mostly story based they can't put hard trophies in cuse there is literally nothing to do which is hard

I'm on the last episode of Tales from Borderlands, and I think it's a great game. The story started out a bit slow, but it gets a lot better as the second episode progresses. I feel this is one of the TTG where your choices has the most interesting side-effects too. Like, I want to see what other thing I missed, what fun stuff did I miss out on. What if I did that other choice etc. In any case, this is a much more comedy adventure story than most of the other more serious TTG stories I've played, even compared to Tales of Monkey Island. Honestly, Tales of Monkey Island really wasn't that great. especially not compared to original Monkey Island games.

Terminator Salvation really isn't as easy as it's cracked up to be, I'd rate it like 3/10, and considering I've played games that is 0-1/10, meh, it's not much. The problem with Terminator Salvation is that there's no real point in playing the game except for the trophies. It's a terrible game with lots of glitches and broken gameplay mechanics.

Magus is much the same thing, but that game is actually a lot easier IMO. In fact, I find some reason to play Magus, because it's a bit so bad it's good.

Edited by MMDE

For instance without reading the books then GoT TT doesn't give quite the same atmosphere of political intrigue and backstabbing. Even the HBO show can't quite put the same spin since you're not hearing the characters thoughts about what they are speaking and why.

Season 5 of GoT was so bad compare to source material.

I personally think that, the reason why, their ain't so many hater of Telltale Games games is that, unlike Terminator Salavation, you are entertain the entire way through (need to get back to Tales from the Borderlands) and not bored unlike, games like Terminator Salavation (never played the game so, only a assumption)

You don't love or hate a game based on trophies because trophies are a side activity you judge games based on overall quality and enjoyment telltale games generally have great stories and since they're mostly story based they can't put hard trophies in cuse there is literally nothing to do which is hard

They could do a trophy for receiving each ending, doing a speed run, no hints. At least their older games had trophies related to secrets, puns and other optional content. All their new games just have trophies for completing chapters.

They could do a trophy for receiving each ending, doing a speed run, no hints. At least their older games had trophies related to secrets, puns and other optional content. All their new games just have trophies for completing chapters.

Yeah they could but the whole point of telltale games is you only play them once because they don't offer the choice itself it's mostly the illusion of choice but if you only play it once you won't know that the choices on their games are actually minimal but the game tricks you into thinking you have control over it 

• Like 1

Yeah they could but the whole point of telltale games is you only play them once because they don't offer the choice itself it's mostly the illusion of choice but if you only play it once you won't know that the choices on their games are actually minimal but the game tricks you into thinking you have control over it 

I didn't feel this was the case with Tales from Borderlands. I mean, my choice may not affect the story much, but it seems to affect what they are saying quite a bit, which is much of the fun for me with that game at least.

What is more enjoyable though? It's not like most of these optional stuff was all that hard, just annoying when you missed. I think they're doing a good job of not taking away from what makes the games enjoyable to play.

I think this breaks down to a common misunderstanding about people talking trash about easy plats etc. They're not being trashed for being easy, but rather people are being trashed for playing bad games for easy trophies. It's more about what you enjoy playing than if the trophies are easy or hard to get. I think it's just as bad with people playing games they don't enjoy to get hard trophies. But there's another aspect to this too, which is that people enjoy collecting trophies, so while they may not enjoy playing the game, they may enjoy the result of playing the game, which is to get trophies or a certain type of trophies.

• Like 1