Why is there no HATE for Telltale Games Games?

elfennf

Telltale "Games"

Telltale's games are still games. The amount of interactivity involved might be markedly less than that in other games, but every game Telltale has ever made fits comfortably into the definition of 'video game'. The medium is huge, and the amount of gaming styles, types of experiences, and the like that can be accommodated is, quite frankly, awesome.

• Like 1

I'd like to point out the fairly obvious as to why the trophy set is incredibly easy. If Telltale had based the trophy set around specific events or choices within the story, then that restricts the way someone plays the game if they want to go for the platinum. Instead of being about playing it your own way, it would mean you're playing a very specific path that will hurt your experience of the game overall.

In fact, I'd say the easy platinum attracts more gamers to play it and experience the incredibly emotional story for themselves. If it did have a tougher set, people would be put off by it. Oh and, hating a game for having an easy trophy set is really stupid. Who is it hurting? It's a great game anyway so if people are playing it for trophies then that shouldn't bother you, it's supporting the developers either way.

Their games are by no means perfect and have a few glaring flaws, plus there are people that just outright dislike the gameplay or the story for various reasons so it does get "HATE" like any other game.

Edited by LeetWolf2

I'd like to point out the fairly obvious as to why the trophy set is incredibly easy. If Telltale had based the trophy set around specific events or choices within the story, then that restricts the way someone plays the game if they want to go for the platinum. Instead of being about playing it your own way, it would mean you're playing a very specific path that will hurt your experience of the game overall.

TWAU has collectible trophies which require you to make certain choices, and it doesn't seem to hurt the overall experience there. I think the "experience" thing is a bit of a cop-out. While I would like to be free to make my choices one time through, I don't hold my nose at the option to revisit those choices later, as a sort of "road not taken".

That being said, the rest of what you posted (which I inexplicably deleted) is spot-on. The critics tend to love TellTale, but gamers often slam it just like anything else.

Edited by starcrunch061

Telltale's games are still games. The amount of interactivity involved might be markedly less than that in other games, but every game Telltale has ever made fits comfortably into the definition of 'video game'. The medium is huge, and the amount of gaming styles, types of experiences, and the like that can be accommodated is, quite frankly, awesome.

What's awesome is that I can experience every Telltale "game" on youtube and feel the same way as if I played it.

• Like 1

TWAU has collectible trophies which require you to make certain choices, and it doesn't seem to hurt the overall experience there. I think the "experience" thing is a bit of a cop-out. While I would like to be free to make my choices one time through, I don't hold my nose at the option to revisit those choices later, as a sort of "road not taken".

That was one collectible trophy per episode and they required both paths being played through, so you could still earn the platinum without worrying about picking a specific path or choice since you'd have to do them both anyway. Also, the chapter select system is far superior to TWD, as you can select which scene in each chapter to go to making it quick and easy to get to a specific part.

I think those trophies in particular help the game as you can go back to specific points and make different choices in a (like you said) "road not taken" sort of way. A bad example would be Back To The Future: The Game as you basically have to follow a guide throughout if you want to get all the miscellaneous trophies on your first run.

Edited by LeetWolf2

That was one collectible trophy per episode and they required both paths being played through, so you could still earn the platinum without worrying about picking a specific path or choice. Also, the chapter select system is far superior to TWD as you can select which scene in each chapter to go to. Those trophies in particular help the game as you can go back to specific points and make different choices in a (like you said) "road not taken" sort of way.

Oh, we're in full agreement here. I'm just saying that it's reasonable to complain that the trophies are lazy. This might be a consequence of a lazy chapter select (as in the case of TWD), but it propagates.

Oh, we're in full agreement here. I'm just saying that it's reasonable to complain that the trophies are lazy. This might be a consequence of a lazy chapter select (as in the case of TWD), but it propagates.

Oh yeah, of course they are. It's a fair point but overall I think it's for the better of the game.

I don't really agree the trophy lists are lazy, other than the trophy icons. I think it's very intentional that the trophies aren't more complicated to get. It makes for a far more enjoyable experience IMO. I remember well their older games with their missable trophies.... nah, no thanks.

• Like 1

Telltale games are good - in my opinion TWD S1, Wolf Among Us, Tales from the Borderlands are all amazing. Game of Thrones is not on par with those but it still is good. TWD S2 is milking it a bit. Their old stuff was decent as well but so far I've only played through half of Tales from Monkey Island and finished one Sam and Max game, Jurassic Park and Back to the future. All of those I really enjoyed. I've probably played more Telltale games that I don't remember now but the ones I did mention were great games, despite them not being a "gamers" game. The other Telltale games I haven't mentioned I haven't played yet.

The platinum coming easily doesn't really affect me in a negative way but then again I buy the Telltale games for the story (don't go looking at my profile now and seeing I platted some one both platforms :D). To me - especially with all these cinematic games around now a game is not only about the gameplay but it's also about the story - would you rather play a game with a rubbish story with decent gameplay or would you play a Telltale game?

Also these really easy Platinums aren't in all their games like many people have mentioned, TWD S1, Tales from the Borderlands and Game of Thrones have them, The Wolf Among Us requires some effort with the collectables, TWD S1 and many of their old games don't have a platinum and only a 100%. Also their old games had a load of missable trophies that could be a pain.

Edited by mittoucp

I've seen a lot of hate toward Telltale games, mainly because people like to see it as a movie and not a game. I think gaming is slowly changing and developers like Telltale, Quantic Dream (and now Supermassive Games) help with that, games now are supposed to have a good story alongside its gameplay. It's not about just saving a princess or killing the bad guy, whoever he is. There is now "humanity" and belivable stories in games.

While they could add some type of gameplay to these games, you have to realize that anyone is able to easily play and finish a point and click game like The Walking Dead, Beyond Two Souls or Until Dawn, you have to remember that gaming is still somewhat a "taboo" for most people, and these games help break that. You never see anyone saying "I don't like watching movies" but there's obviously a lot of people out there who don't like games and the interactive drama genre is perfect for them, it'll make them curious about gaming.

I myself play these games for the story, when you watch a movie you can't control the choices or fate of the characters. So there is a big difference here, i don't know why so many people like to compare interactive games to movies, you can't interact with a movie like this. Usually they have easy trophies, yes. But so what? There are a bajillion of easy games out there with "real" gameplay. I know Telltale games are known to have easy plats among us trophy hunters but i'd say the majority who play these games don't give a fuck about the trophies, and even if you do you'd have to finish the game anyway so one way or the other you'd have to pay attention to the story.

• Like 1

I enjoyed playing them, sure the trophies are easy too so that is a plus, haha. BUT

IF the people that are playing it; just for the trophies because it's easy, well... It really doesnt matter because everyone that ARE playing it for the trophies will have the trophies making it nothing special because well... everyone has them.

Don't really care about the trophies. I play them for the amazing stories they provide. Also the fact that you say the that TTG are worse than a shitty game like Terminator Salvation because it has "easy trophies" is quite funny yet really sad at the same time.

Edited by Kubanga
  • Like 1

There is hate for them <.< The hate is usually just from people who need to feel superior by saying that everyone else is wrong though.

The only exception to this is with the telltale jurassic park game. Most opinions I've heard on that one are negative, but I enjoyed it. The gameplay was annoying in it, but I played and enjoyed it for the story.

• Like 1

I enjoy the story telling on the Telltale games :)  Especially season 1 of The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us.  Some of the older games I enjoyed a lot too, like the Sam & Max series, Jurassic Park, Tales from Money Island. 

CSI: Fatal Conspiracy was developed by Telltale....I enjoyed that also.

As someone else has stated before me, Telltale games are accessible for everyone.  Whilst the trophies are easy, I doubt the majority of people who play the games do it just for trophies.

• Like 1

Well from a developer perspective I do sort of hate the fact that the games lag, freeze and stutter. I'm under the impression they have an internal software they developed to produce their games and that software is just fundamentally flawed in how it handles basic tasks like loading and memory management and they have been too busy churning out new games to update the software so that it doesn't suck. Probably not an issue on PS4 anyway, wouldn't know personally.

The fact that I am still personally compelled to buy and play these games even tho as a developer that stutterring offends me deeply, I mean how you gonna have a game that is literally just a bunch of cut scenese strung together and you can't make it run something resembling smooth...well it's a testament to the quality of the stories and just the overal enjoyment I get out of those worlds.

Not to mention they tend to be on sale all the time really cheap. I wasn't planning to play Wolf Among Us because I didn't know anything about the world or what it was but then it's on sale for like a buck and I'm thinking ok guess I'll try it...loved it and hoping for a sequal.

What's awesome is that I can experience every Telltale "game" on youtube and feel the same way as if I played it.

Well, you're certainly entitled to that opinion; it's not necessarily for me or several others, but I suppose we all experience immersion and/or decision making differently.

There's not really a reason to hate them in a general sense. They don't do microtransactions (not that it would make sense if they did anyway) or make Standard or Premum Editions of their games, and they don't treat their fans like gullible morons. You pretty much get what you pay for with them. However I do feel like something has been lacking in their games after Walking Dead S1 and Wolf Among Us. I played Tales From the Borderlands and I didn't really enjoy it as much as I thought I would have (Episode 5 was great though), like most of the jokes were hit and miss and I got kind of bored until mid-way through Episode 4. I know they have the Game of Thrones one now, but I feel like I would only get that if I watched the show. Then there's Minecraft, and after watching a playthrough of Episode 1 I felt kind of the same about the jokes with Tales From the Borderlands, only I didn't really find them that funny.

I think the biggest issue with their games is when you think about it your choices don't really matter too much anyway. The exception being Wolf Among Us since I remember some of the choices actually affecting the way things go in the story. Maybe Tales From the Borderlands too but I haven't seen it where other people made different choices than mine.

Walking Dead Season 1

All the characters except Clementine, Kenny, Lilly (probably), Christa and Omid die no matter what you do, you can't persuade Lilly to think with reason, Lee gets bitten no matter what you do, the guy at the end of Episode 5 decides he wants to hurt you no matter how many good choices you make.

Walking Dead Season 2

Same as Season 1, everyone except Clementine, the baby, and either Kenny or the other girl die no matter what you do. I also felt like it kept forcing me to like the new group despite me winding up hating them except Luke in the first five minutes. Your 400 Days save doesn't matter either since it just adds whoever left the camp to be guards for the supermarket.

Of course these aren't reasons to hate them, since the writing usually makes up for it. I do think they should take a break and make their own story though instead of using other IP's. It would give them more freedom.

I was playing through tales from borderlands and game of thrones first episodes that was free to download on the psn store.  Lots of people complain and throw hissy fits about games like terminator salvation or magus, but really these are much much worse. u do the minimum and get a gold/platinum trophy. I agree they are not bad games, but most people are playing them for the very easy trophies and not the story.

Dude, you do realise that us trophy hunters are in the minority. Most people on PSN are simply playing for fun.

• Like 1