The Cooking/Baking Thread

CasaDeBen

Linking to this recipe for Chocolate-Banana Snack Cake:  http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/chocolate-banana-snack-cake/7bcd4a29-3a9e-46da-b8c1-c2476a00a74c

Made them earlier as I had some bananas that were over ripe.  The cake was so delicious and moist...actually one of the best chocolate cake recipes I've made and husband nommed it down and said it was incredible (and he's not a big fan of cake)

OK I have since eaten these and I can agree they are quite yummy :D

• Like 1

Like the Asian rice soup? I've had it at Vietnamese restaurants. So freaking good. I miss Vietnamese food so much. I used to live in little Saigon in California. So much good food I miss there.

Essentially. You just have to add more water than you normally would with cooking rice so that it comes out like a porridge. (not too much or it'll be soup) :P

Throw in an egg or two towards the end so it'll cook with it and at that point you figure out if you want to add sauce. 

It really depends on what you feel. I like Japanese cuisine so I usually throw some soy sauce on it. :3

• Like 1

Ladies and Gentlemen. It has finally happened, an outlet for all your cooking. Whether they are greasy monstrosities or healthy specialties, this is the place to showcase your work.

I love to cook. Ive worked in kitchens for 8 years total and I have come up many awesome dishes. Sometimes I do flavour fusions like my butter chicken meatloaf with a curry gravy over mashed cauliflower. Quite possibly the craziest amazing chance I took.

So now tonight I decided to make sloppy joe cassarole. And my lord it turned out fantastic.cq18e7v.jpg?1

that looks amazing mate, really well cooking skills you've got! :"D looks super tasty! yummy :3 <3 Edited by MissLuxii

Ok, time for me to contribute. Between my honey and me, we are a serious cooking pair. He's from Mexico and I'm white American. You can imagine the diverse food stuffs going on in our house. The first time I made him country gravy, it blew his mind. It's a very American dish with a french base, for those unfamiliar. Probably most non-Americans will find the picture gross. Most Americans will drool uncontrollably. 

Both are homemade. Biscuits and sausage and bacon gravey. 

T9WkL1D.jpg

• Like 2

I'll have to get my cooking gear out again.

I like cooking Oriental/Chinese dishes, stir fry and lots of rice with everything. Not a huge fan of British and American cooking as it just seems to be - throw meat in a pot with whatever's in the cupboard and eat whatever happens.

Most recent thing I made was a Danish Frazipan.

• Like 2

I like cooking Oriental/Chinese dishes, stir fry and lots of rice with everything. Not a huge fan of British and American cooking as it just seems to be - throw meat in a pot with whatever's in the cupboard and eat whatever happens.

Danish Frazipan sounds delicious!  Do you have a recipe that you use?  Would love to give that a try :)

I love to cook and have been doing it more recently. I don't experiment much on my own though, I usually get recipes from the Internet or something. I'll probably start coming up with my own dishes once I get my own place.

I tend to favor cooking Asian food because I'm a weeb. I'm always open to recipes of any kind though. I enjoy baking too but I'm not huge on it, mostly because you can't take as many chances and have to be more exact with everything.

I'll put in some pictures later if I can find any, I don't take too many of the stuff that I make.

• Like 1

It was a recipe I found on supercook.com

You just add all the crap that's in your cupboards and it pulls/suggests recipes from a few different sites.

So, do you love throwing "all that crap in your cupboards" together or not? I see two very contradictory posts here.

You're cheating yourself out of complex flavors and wonderful dishes if you ignore the western culinary experience (EU or Americas). Gotta open your mind.

• Like 1

So, do you love throwing "all that crap in your cupboards" together or not? I see two very contradictory posts here.

You're cheating yourself out of complex flavors and wonderful dishes if you ignore the western culinary experience (EU or Americas). Gotta open your mind.

Huge difference between those statements. One is a site where you enter what ingredients you have available and the site suggests recipes you can cook using some of them. The other is a distaste for my British/American cooking experiences.

I don't like British (not EU) or American cooking because in my experience, a lot of it is boring or samey, high in grease/fat and a lot of it is made of "Yeah, we'll chuck that in the hotpot too." A lot of it is just weird combinations. Toad-in-the-hole, just.. why? Maybe it's my Mum's cooking, but I just don't like British/American stuff.

Give me Italian or East Asian anyday.

If you could suggest any American recipes you enjoy maybe I could try those?

Edited by Asvinia

Made vegetable lasagna a couple of days ago, it was a lot of work but worth it as so delicious.  Full of zucchini, eggplant, carrot, mushrooms, onion and garlic ^_^

Image is in spoilers because it's relatively large

SjYx6bA.jpg

Husband asked me to make a smaller portion next time as apparently the size of the lasagna I made was daunting  :lol:

Currently have sweet dough rising ready to make cinnamon rolls ^_^

• Like 4

Hi, great to see a cooking thread. :)

This is kinda of a sausage rolls, in Latvia we call it sausage in dough. I hope I get it right, but they are tasty and really easy to do.

In the states, we call them pigs in a blanket. I was just looking up recipes for the dough for this today. I don't want to cheat and make it with pre packaged puff pastry.

In the states, we call them pigs in a blanket. I was just looking up recipes for the dough for this today. I don't want to cheat and make it with pre packaged puff pastry.

Hmm, it's a funny thing but in the UK, pigs in blankets are little sausages wrapped with bacon.

picH54Q43.jpg

I end up usually using pre packaged puff pastry for any recipes, mainly because I'm hopeless at making it -_-  Most other dough and pastry I'm fine with though.

• Like 1

Hmm, it's a funny thing but in the UK, pigs in blankets are little sausages wrapped with bacon.

picH54Q43.jpg

I end up usually using pre packaged puff pastry for any recipes, mainly because I'm hopeless at making it -_- Most other dough and pastry I'm fine with though.

Yea, I saw a lot of UKers in the comment sections saying that. I think you guys are the only ones though. Dunno. We do UK pigs in a blanket here too. We just use the long term for it though. Also, puff pastry isn't always used. There are other variations of pigs in a blanket that use sweet bread or dinner roll bread or even garlic bread to wrap them up. Mmmm...can't wait to get back home to cook. Been a week away from home. A bit homesick already.

Edited by PhilDeezEnYuTees
  • Like 1