The Cooking/Baking Thread

CasaDeBen

Not so much baking, but i did have to cook the strawberries. Just in case you want to know, it super easy. Bring 2 lbs (just under 1 kilo) of quartered strawberries to a boil in 3 cups of water. Back down to a simmer. Simmer for 15 mins. Strain out the strawberry pulp, add liquid back to the pan. Add 2 cups of sugar and bring back to a boil. Back down to simmer and do so for 5 mins. Let cool completely before using. The picture is of strawberry soda. I mix 1/2 & 1/2 syrup and soda water. The strawberry flavor is intense.

qvMDQ0x.jpg

• Like 4

Rach, Phil, if I lived in the same house as either of you, I swear I'd live up to my namesake.

Twenty-fold.

Nah. You'd eat healthier. Processed foods are terrible for your body. Even if that we cook at home looks bad for you, its why our previous generations live in their 80s and 90s. They had country gravey on chicken fried steak every weekend instead of once every 9 months. I guarantee you that strawberry soda i made is healthier than even a modern day juice box.

You'd definitely be happier if you were a sandwiched neighbor.

• Like 3

Nah. You'd eat healthier. Processed foods are terrible for your body. Even if that we cook at home looks bad for you, its why our previous generations live in their 80s and 90s. They had country gravey on chicken fried steak every weekend instead of once every 9 months. I guarantee you that strawberry soda i made is healthier than even a modern day juice box.

You'd definitely be happier if you were a sandwiched neighbor.

Agree with this so much.  If I have processed food, I get really bad heart burn.  I spent a lot of my child hood being cared for by my Nan so all of our meals were hearty, home cooked and I am so thankful that she taught me how to cook and bake.

Your strawberry soda looks so incredibly delicious.  I think it might be something I end up trying :)

Planning on attempting to make a Fougasse in the next few days (it's a French version of a Foccacia bread) If it turns out well, I'll post a few pictures

• Like 2

To be honest, in the past time I am researching what healthy foods are the best for every day meal, both for body and mind. The thing with body I think everyone knows, a lot of protein, less fats and carbs. But with mind you must Take A,C,E(Tomatos, blueberries, zuchinni, etc) vitamins to prevent oxydation in brain, which is caused by stress(And videogames cause enough stress already, especially competitive), D vitamin from fish, but it is better drink a fish oil, as it is much more convenient.. Almonds and other nuts combined with dark chocolate are great for mind focus and concentration. In regular foods I use a lot of fresh spices, like timian and bazilik, as they are rich in nutrients necessary for mind. The thing is, I have a mental illness, and since I started to exercise and eat healthy, I am back to normal life and soon I will be out of medication that I am using for ten years. It is amazing what you can do by just eating healthy. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Something a bit more common than strawberry soda but rarely perfected. I am not one of those rare cases. I'm still working on it. I have the texture down: a little crisp layer on the outside but soft and chewy inside. I would like a bit more volume, or rise, to each cookie though.

I used 68% dark chocolate disks instead of the usual simi sweet chips. Ghirardelli has the bulk bag at the big box stores here. They're pretty good. I really enjoyed them.

52BJxQr.jpg

• Like 2

I like this thread. Imma keep posting here until i get a spam warning from the mods.

I couldn't sleep last night. Fell asleep at midnight without eating dinner. Woke up at 330 am because of a pain in my mouth...and oddly enough, i was hungry.

Now, I'm not sure if this is regional or not, i dunno. Maybe im just the weirdo who likes it, but i say nothing beats a good peanut butter and banana sandwich.

8hilTBA.jpg

Also, since it's scientifically proven, every sandwich taste better when cut diagonally. 

zlcLrGU.jpg

• Like 3

Do please keep posting in it, prarpin, as I totally enjoy drooling over your, Rach's (and everyone's) creations!  ^_^

As for me, in all my utter culinary incompetence, I hope to soon be embarking on a (perhaps futile) quest to become less culinarily-incompetent, with the help of a pretty sweet cookbook that seems to have been created just for people like me.  :awesome:

IMAG0951_zps4u5qa2ai.jpg

First page I turn to, upon randomly opening the book?

IMAG0952_zpstddf3o83.jpg

I think this book is gonna be great.  ^_^

• Like 3

Do please keep posting in it, prarpin, as I totally enjoy drooling over your, Rach's (and everyone's) creations!  ^_^

As for me, in all my utter culinary incompetence, I hope to soon be embarking on a (perhaps futile) quest to become less culinarily-incompetent, with the help of a pretty sweet cookbook that seems to have been created just for people like me.  :awesome:

IMAG0951_zps4u5qa2ai.jpg

First page I turn to, upon randomly opening the book?

IMAG0952_zpstddf3o83.jpg

I think this book is gonna be great.  ^_^

That is so awesome, it's on it's own level of awesome. Let me suggest something for you. There is a YouTuber that i love. Ive been following him for a long time. I use a ton of his recipies. Luckily for you, they range from ultra beginner to 5 star restaurant advanced. I strongly suggest you check him out. 

Both the biscuits and gravey recipes as well as the strawberry soda recipe were his.

Youtube.com/foodwishes

• Like 2

**snip**

I'm curious as to your cookie recipe :)  I've managed to get one cookie recipe nailed and they have pretty good rise so maybe I could make some recommendations.

The base recipe I use:

1/2 cup white sugar

2/3 cup light brown sugar

1 stick of melted butter

1 large egg

2 tsps vanilla essence

2 cups all purpose flour

1/2 tsp baking soda

I combine the sugars and pour in the melted butter, mixing it all together.  I add the egg and vanilla essence and combine thoroughly.  Then add the flour and baking soda making sure it's mixed thoroughly before adding in chocolate chips.

I then roll the mixture into balls and put them on a baking sheet.  Cook in a preheated oven for 325 degrees for 17 minutes...delicious!  

Usually makes 24 small cookies or 12 large cookies.

Also, I love peanut butter and banana sandwiches and agree with you that the diagonal cut is the best :D 

IMAG0951_zps4u5qa2ai.jpg

That book is amazing!!  I want to see pictures of any of your creations ^_^

I made a Fougasse today, turned out awesome so will post pictures in a little while.

Edited by Rach
  • Like 1

*snipperdoodles*

That's a completely different recipe. I'll have to give yours a shot. The brown to white sugar ratio is completely different. Also, mine uses dark brown sugar. Also, the one i used doesn't call for melting the butter first. I really like the taste and texture of the ones I've made though. I'm not a fan of the overly sweet cookie either.

What do you think contributes to the rise? 

That's a completely different recipe. I'll have to give yours a shot. The brown to white sugar ratio is completely different. Also, mine uses dark brown sugar. Also, the one i used doesn't call for melting the butter first. I really like the taste and texture of the ones I've made though. I'm not a fan of the overly sweet cookie either.

What do you think contributes to the rise? 

The ones I make have the crunchy edge and soft, chewy center like yours.  I think it's the reaction of the baking soda that causes the rise, as it helps form bubbles and air pockets within the mixture. The melted butter helps with dissolving the sugar so I'd say that they weren't overly sweet but you can offset any sweetness of the base mix by the chocolate that you use. If it's any help, my husband swears by these cookies (although he's probably a little bit biased) :)

I'd be interested in grabbing your cookie recipe and giving them a shot.  Have kind of a 'bake off' cookie competition ^_^

So, here is my attempt at a fresh herb fougasse.  I believe it is the french version of the Italian focaccia - the herbs used within were thyme, rosemary and sage with oregano and sea salt sprinkled lightly on top pre-bake.  On second rise and baking, the cuts that were made in it lost their definition a little but it still baked well and tasted delicious.

14642445_1092695544185537_13516761544060

Edited by Rach
  • Like 3

• 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 3/4 cups packed dark brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs, at room temperature
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

• Sift the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda together into a large bowl.

• Beat the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar in a bowl with a mixer on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then beat in the vanilla. Reduce the mixer speed to low. Add the flour mixture and beat until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips by hand. Press plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the dough and refrigerate at least 1 hour or preferably overnight.

• Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Drop heaping tablespoonfuls of dough onto the prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches apart. Bake until the cookies are golden around the edges but still soft in the middle, about 12 minutes. Remove the cookies from the oven and let cool 10 minutes on the baking sheets, then transfer to racks to cool completely.

Snip

I feel like your flour ratio is higher too. I think that might be the key factor in the rise.

Edited by PhilDeezEnYuTees

• 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 3/4 cups packed dark brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs, at room temperature
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

• Sift the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda together into a large bowl.

• Beat the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar in a bowl with a mixer on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then beat in the vanilla. Reduce the mixer speed to low. Add the flour mixture and beat until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips by hand. Press plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the dough and refrigerate at least 1 hour or preferably overnight.

• Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Drop heaping tablespoonfuls of dough onto the prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches apart. Bake until the cookies are golden around the edges but still soft in the middle, about 12 minutes. Remove the cookies from the oven and let cool 10 minutes on the baking sheets, then transfer to racks to cool completely.

I feel like your flour ratio is higher too. I think that might be the key factor in the rise.

I'll give them a try, was about to hop up and make them right away but realized I don't have dark brown sugar in the house.  I noticed the differences between the ratios, I think what might be causing an issue with your cookies not rising is the use of baking soda and baking powder as typically I don't see the two used together - the brown sugar in the recipe helps activate the baking soda to cause the air bubbles and pockets.  I'm not 100% on that though so I'll definitely try the recipe and test the outcome.

Edited by Rach

• 2 weeks later...

I made my first attempt at home made pumpkin pie (ignore the messy pastry though  :ninja: )

This seems to have inspired husband to want to do some baking with me, as he suggested we made some pastry together and try out some different home made pies.  Also, at the moment got some home made Italian Herbs and Cheese subs in the oven so the house smells heavenly - I made these last week too and husband ended up with a manwich filled with lots of delicious salad and cheeses.

Anyway...picture of my pie ^_^ (It tastes better than it looks)

14721460_1105295286258896_33469302691021

Edited by Rach
  • Like 4

*snip

Is it pumpkin pie time already? I usually only make it once a year. Two pies for thanksgiving. If i made it more often, I'd be the size of a house. I could easily sit my fat ass down and eat a whole pie in a day. There's just something magical about cinnamon, ginger, and freshly grated nutmeg all rolled up in a pumpkin custard base. Yummmmm!

Edited by PhilDeezEnYuTees
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Is it pumpkin pie time already? I usually only make it once a year. Two pies for thanksgiving. If i made it more often, I'd be the size of a house. I could easily sit my fat ass down and eat a whole pie in a day. There's just something magical about cinnamon, ginger, and freshly grated nutmeg all rolled up in a pumpkin custard base. Yummmmm!

I had a recipe for Hockey Puck Chocolate Chip cookies sent to me and I wanted to post the link here for you as I know you said you wanted a thicker cookie.  I've not yet tried them so I don't know if they have that perfect balance of crispness and chewiness but wanted to post here just in case: http://www.greatgrubdelicioustreats.com/hockey-puck-chocolate-chip-cookies/

I think it's definitely pie month - made a vegetable pot pie earlier this week which tasted amazing although my pastry looked a bit...rustic  :giggle:   I just made some mini cherry cheesecake tarts and with the remaining cherry mix, I'm going to give cherry pie a go later this week :D  

*snip

LOL...those are on the extreme spectrum of rise. That's going a bit too far. I haven't attempted cookies again since the last one. I will eventually. My eye is on another prize this week.

I follow this French chef on YouTube who is usually beyond my comfort zone as a home cook. He also uses high end ingredients that are tough to find without driving 90 minutes to the west side of LA. However, i really want to try his version of croque monsieur. Even with it being a complicated ham and cheese sandwich, I can't get crème fraiche around here for the mornay sauce. So, i have to culture my own. I've done it before and, let me tell you, beyond worth the effort. I'll post both crème fraiche and croque monsieur videos below. The crème fraiche video is by Food Wishes, of whom, I've made many of his recipies.

I'll definitely post pictures, success or fail, of my first croque monsieur attempt.

Crème Fraiche

Croque Monsieur

• Like 1

*snippers

That Crème Fraiche looks absolutely heavenly <3  I subscribed to Food Wishes channel a while ago as I saw your recommendation (I think it might have been for the Mac and Cheese recipe)  I'll definitely have to look through and make some of his recipes.

Definitely want to see the outcome of the croque monsieur :D  

I'll give them a try, was about to hop up and make them right away but realized I don't have dark brown sugar in the house.  I noticed the differences between the ratios, I think what might be causing an issue with your cookies not rising is the use of baking soda and baking powder as typically I don't see the two used together - the brown sugar in the recipe helps activate the baking soda to cause the air bubbles and pockets.  I'm not 100% on that though so I'll definitely try the recipe and test the outcome.

Baking powder and baking soda can be used together. You use them together to balance out the Ph levels of whatever else is going into your baking product. Baking powder itself actually has baking soda as an ingredient so you can use the same measuring spoon for both, just do the soda first.

If you're having trouble with baking recipes rising, buy brand new powder/ soda. Neither has a good shelf life beyond a few months.

Also, you can cream the sugar and butter together to give your cookies some airy volume, if that makes sense.

Good to see there's some cooks/ bakers around here! I'm the head cook/pitmaster/dishwasher of my household so I'll post some creations soon!

• Like 2

Baking powder and baking soda can be used together. You use them together to balance out the Ph levels of whatever else is going into your baking product. Baking powder itself actually has baking soda as an ingredient so you can use the same measuring spoon for both, just do the soda first.

If you're having trouble with baking recipes rising, buy brand new powder/ soda. Neither has a good shelf life beyond a few months.

Also, you can cream the sugar and butter together to give your cookies some airy volume, if that makes sense.

Good to see there's some cooks/ bakers around here! I'm the head cook/pitmaster/dishwasher of my household so I'll post some creations soon!

I had tested both powders prior to using and both were still good. Also, sugars and fat were creamed. That's a pretty common step in cookie making. I feel like there's a ratio issue going on. It's definitely not bad...but it's not perfect either. I'll eventually give it a try again and maybe I'll up the flour content by 1/2 a cup or something. I'll post the result here soon enough.

Feel free to post some pics of your concoctions here as well. The more the merrier.

• Like 2

I think I get triggered at the thought of using both as my old cookery teacher would yell about it and say she should taste it if we used them both  :facepalm:

My cookie recipe is one from the UK and is probably weird as the butter is melted first rather than creamed, but husband swears by these cookies and would be devastated if I changed the recipe  :giggle:   

Looking forward to seeing some of your creations ^_^  As Phil said, the more the merrier.  I'm more passionate about cooking/baking than I am about gaming so love seeing different creations.  I'm waiting on Fatty_Fatness reporting back on some of his dishes from the cookbook he bought.

Got some pretzel dough rising at the moment so excited to see how these turn out :D

Edited by Rach
  • Like 2

Croque monsieur turned out bomb. The mornay sauce and dijon mustard is mandatory. The croque madame is the version with a fried egg on top. Be wary though, you must come hungry if you intend on eating the whole thing. Also, there is a crap load of mornay sauce left. Oh yea, we were unable to find emmental  cheese so, we had to use sharp cheddar for the cheese inside the sandwich. I won't lie, it was a lot of work for a fancy ham and cheese. You gotta have someone to help in the kitchen. Mountain of dishes happen out of nowhere. Totally worth it.

edJMkBE.jpg

PxdF3Vu.jpg

• Like 2