The Cooking/Baking Thread

CasaDeBen

Spoiler

13lFH4J.jpg

UHP6lka.jpg

HLrk1ii.jpg

There's a sweet biscuit that I baked under the strawberries and cream, I promise. Also, the pizza dough recipe I make gives enough dough for two pizzas. I know it doesn't look like it, but those are very thin crusts. They also don't droop. Very sturdy, yet flavorful and crispy crust. Not dry either. Just the way I like it.

• Like 4

Those burger buns look awesome ^_^  

I've been absent from baking, mainly due to recently moving across country from Washington state to Florida, so we've been getting settled into the new place and getting the garden set up how we want, as we like growing our own fruits and vegetables and actually now have a private garden so we can do whatever we like.

I have made burger buns recently though, but had a few issues as I'm still getting used to a better quality oven xD  What recipe do you use @Phil ?  Your buns look softer than mine and I'd love to give them a try the next time I make burgers.

Oh...I did make pizza dough/pizza a couple of days ago (whilst husband was asleep :ninja: we've been on a healthy eating and exercise regime for a while and I needed a little "junk food" to recharge my batteries)

tXEC0EH.jpg

Edited by Rach
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Rach said:

Those burger buns look awesome ^_^  

I've been absent from baking, mainly due to recently moving across country from Washington state to Florida, so we've been getting settled into the new place and getting the garden set up how we want, as we like growing our own fruits and vegetables and actually now have a private garden so we can do whatever we like.

I have made burger buns recently though, but had a few issues as I'm still getting used to a better quality oven xD  What recipe do you use @Phil ?  Your buns look softer than mine and I'd love to give them a try the next time I make burgers.

Oh...I did make pizza dough/pizza a couple of days ago (whilst husband was asleep :ninja: we've been on a healthy eating and exercise regime for a while and I needed a little "junk food" to recharge my batteries)

QMme9GR.jpg

Smart putting the tomatoes on top of the cheese instead of underneath. Many make that mistake and get a soggy pizza. Looks great! Love the fresh basil! 

And it's pretty darn healthy so don't worry! :)

• Like 1

On 3/26/2017 at 3:57 PM, Fatty_Fatness said:

... I <3 this thread. :wub:

Soon to be heading off to Minnesota for a week, but maybe when I get back, I'll bumble around in the kitchen in the off-chance that I create something worthy of posting here. :awesome: :jaymon:

Which US State has the smallest soft drinks?  Minnesota (OK, I realize that's not funny :lol:)

Anyway, thought I'd post a picture of one of my new favorite meals to make - Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chili ^_^  

FNxais2.jpg

Here is the recipe if anyone is interested:  http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/249174/sweet-potato-black-bean-chili-for-two/

I do make some substitutions to that recipes such as using half a red onion in place of a small onion, using vegetable stock instead of water, and using a habanero instead of chipotle chile (only because I love the flavor of habanero)  I also tend to use a tin of fire roasted tomatoes and I omit the cilantro (because it tastes like dish soap!)

Served with rice and a big side of spinach, it's so delicious.

Edited by Rach
  • Like 3

Spoiler

NCCvH8d.jpg

xmQJPN7.jpg

9bSWruv.jpg

IXxuGRD.jpg

I'm getting pretty good at this. Have the old man coming over tomorrow. Decided I'd make homemade burgers and buns to go with them. Also, decided to make sandwich bread. I don't think I'll ever buy bread again. It tastes so much better without all the preservatives.

The photos are a little transition phase. Beginning, middle and two end photos.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Rach said:

@Phil I wanted to thank you again for the link to the burger bun recipe :D  I made them today and they were perfect.  I kind of stumped husband though as the burger and all the trimmings was bigger than his face.  Coupled with fries and a corn on the cob....I think we might both have a food coma -_-

Nice. Glad you enjoyed them. I usually only eat a burger. That's already enough to make me full. I found that 110 gram portions make the perfect size.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone heard of Blue Apron? It's one of those recipe subscription things. My father subscribed to it and I've been helping to cook them occasionally. 

I'm not huge on recipe subscription services, but this one is alright I guess. I like to cook no matter what though...

1 hour ago, Waffle-Sensei said:

Has anyone heard of Blue Apron? It's one of those recipe subscription things. My father subscribed to it and I've been helping to cook them occasionally. 

I'm not huge on recipe subscription services, but this one is alright I guess. I like to cook no matter what though...

Never heard of it, but feel free to post pics of the hard work you guys have done. Would spice up the thread.

14 hours ago, Waffle-Sensei said:

I've heard of them :)  Always hear pretty good things about how good the meals are.  Husband and I tried Peach Dish once (which is a similar service) but the meal option we got sent wasn't that great - it was some kind of risotto but not flavor combinations that I would usually use.

Definitely post some pictures here of the meals, would be interested to see :)

• 2 weeks later...

@Rach I didn't want to make the other thread even more off-topic so I thought I would just post here. I don't know if you remember Bnecker but she was quite popular on .COM (so I am sure there are quite a few people here who do know her) but she has a Raw Vegan website with tons of recipes and the like. http://www.kaleyeskitchen.com/

Check it out :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr_Mayus said:

@Rach I didn't want to make the other thread even more off-topic so I thought I would just post here. I don't know if you remember Bnecker but she was quite popular on .COM (so I am sure there are quite a few people here who do know her) but she has a Raw Vegan website with tons of recipes and the like. http://www.kaleyeskitchen.com/

Check it out :)

Thank you so much, I appreciate that immensely! :D  Due to the weather getting hotter here I'd been looking for raw vegan recipes, I'd been linked to a few from a Facebook page I'm on but I'll definitely check out that site.  Just at a glance I can see some tasty looking recipes I might like to try.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rach said:

Thank you so much, I appreciate that immensely! :D  Due to the weather getting hotter here I'd been looking for raw vegan recipes, I'd been linked to a few from a Facebook page I'm on but I'll definitely check out that site.  Just at a glance I can see some tasty looking recipes I might like to try.

Yeah Lucy has some great recipes :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sooo... I've been pretty shamefully MIA from PSNP (and from Sony/PSN in general) for a few months now... but making this "Mexican casserole" the other day reminded me of this thread, and of the forum as a whole, so I thought I'd share! ^_^

35333552383_b8d7a8de65_c.jpg

The picture isn't that flattering I'll admit... but being as kitchen-impotent as I am, I was pretty proud of it. Ground beef, chili beans, salsa, chopped tomatoes/green onions/olives, cheese, and sour cream, all baked on a bed of crushed tortilla chips.

(The crushed tortilla chips was the catalyst for the entire dish... bought a bag of chips & salsa only to find that someone must've used the bag as a piñata because it was literally half a bag of crumbs. ?)

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Fatty_Fatness said:

Sooo... I've been pretty shamefully MIA from PSNP (and from Sony/PSN in general) for a few months now... but making this "Mexican casserole" the other day reminded me of this thread, and of the forum as a whole, so I thought I'd share! ^_^

35333552383_b8d7a8de65_c.jpg

The picture isn't that flattering I'll admit... but being as kitchen-impotent as I am, I was pretty proud of it. Ground beef, chili beans, salsa, chopped tomatoes/green onions/olives, cheese, and sour cream, all baked on a bed of crushed tortilla chips.

(The crushed tortilla chips was the catalyst for the entire dish... bought a bag of chips & salsa only to find that someone must've used the bag as a piñata because it was literally half a bag of crumbs. 1f612.png)

Nicely done. I've been mia from the site pretty much latley as well. Barely poking in once in a while and reading random threads about sales I never buy stuff on. In any case, I'll have to add a pic or two soon as well. Hope your casserole was tasty.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

As it's approaching the holidays, I feel like this thread needs a kick start - @Phil @Fatty_Fatness Where you at? :D

I've not taken any food photos for a while, but this is my current favorite recipe: https://www.buzzfeed.com/jordankenna/healthy-hearty-black-bean-soup?bffbtasty&ref=bffbtasty&utm_term=.vhy0JAPP0#.dl1x2R44x

Husband says it's the best soup he's ever had, and it's starting to get a little cooler here now so I imagine it will be on the menu more often.  

• Like 1