How to Start Becoming a Trophy Hunter?

tstanish

Just play the games you enjoy. I currently feel so burned out b/c for the last couple years all I did was worried about getting a plat rather than enjoying a game. I'm trying really hard to just focus on immersing myself in a game and not worrying what my percentage is on here and trying to keep all my games A levels. It's also frustrating especially when you have OCD like I do. It's really tough. But I have to understand perfection doesn't really exist. There's no such thing. Of course I have games I'm not interested in but it's because of the trophies that keep me from the enjoyment. It's tough to trophy-hunt but you have to set boundaries for yourself. Enjoy the story of a game and if your obsessed with it go ahead and plat that sucker. I'm 23 but I'm still so young so I might as well enjoy these years ahead and play games the way they should be played. I think when you plat or 100% a game you enjoy and had the most fun out of it is the most rewarding. So enjoy the games. And don't play games that seem too easy. They get repetitive very quickly and you'll most likely get burned out b/c of it. Go trophy hunt for fun! :-D 

• Like 1

Don't start a ton of games at once, especially if you care about completing them all, you get easily overwhelmed and then trophy hunting begins to feel like a chore. That being said, I keep a spreadsheet (guilty pleasure) of all my games that I have not completed, regardless of whether or not they're on my profile and nothing feels better to sit down and knock a good 30 trophies off that list in a weekend

• Like 2

Play what you like and take it slow to avoid burnout - most of the hunters with thousands of trophies are on PlayStation since 2008, 2009, 2010... Once in a while allow yourself to play a game for easy reward trophies, but don't overdo it because having fun with your games is more important than inflating your profile with a number.

• Like 1

Play what you like and take it slow to avoid burnout - most of the hunters with thousands of trophies are on PlayStation since 2008, 2009, 2010... Once in a while allow yourself to play a game for easy reward trophies, but don't overdo it because having fun with your games is more important than inflating your profile with a number.

I've been on PSN since 2010. I just haven't really cared about trophies. I wished I did.

Emigrate, struggle to find a job for a few months (Im ok now) and just buy cheap PS3 games. This was a new account in February as you can't change your country (thanks Sony) and I'm not far off 1000 trophies already. 
The only game I played specifically for trophies was Terminator Salvation the rest I played for fun. My only rule is that I try to keep my completion at around 40% also if I look at the trophy list and think that platinum isn't worth the hassle I just don't even bother trying for it. 

Edited by Dan_WatsonAU

1. Look at the games you have, and pick one you want to obtain all the trophies in;

2. Check the trophy lists, their requirements and descriptions, checking guides if necessary or if there is ambiguity;

3. Complete the necessary in-game actions to obtain the trophy;

4. Repeat 2 and 3 as necessary until you have obtained all the trophies in that game;

5. Repeat 1. 

• Like 1

Hello, if I can offer some advice:

• Don't let trophy hunting become an all-consuming obsession. Play games for fun and recreation. Like everyone else signed up to this (great) website, I like to go for trophies, but I'm totally aware that in the real world they mean nada. Nish. Squat. So, remember that if you don't get that WipEout or Super Meat Boy! plat nothing will actually happen; the world will still turn. It doesn't actually matter.
  • Set really loose goals to avoid the above: the Trophy Advisor on your psnprofiles page will be great for this as it lists trophies you need in reverse-order of rarity. So you could try and pick off the 'common' trophies, as a high level of attainment probably means they're easy to achieve. Then you could try for the least-rare platinums. Then maybe the game with the most trophies listed on the first Trophy Advisor page. Then anything to get the completion rate of your collection up. That sort of thing!
  • Consider setting up a second account, and using it to 'try out' games. You won't like everything you play (I hated Heavy Rain) so you can use it to keep your main trophy list 'neat'.
  • Gaming Sessions and the Forums on here are a fantastic way to meet like-minded gamers.
  • Study trophy guides and have an idea of what trophies to look out and go for during your playthroughs.

​Good luck!

• Like 1

I've been on PSN since 2010. I just haven't really cared about trophies. I wished I did.

Well it's never too late to start Trophy Hunting, though it is unfortunately too late for certain platinums, due to servers closing. Keep that in mind, when buying older titles and try to focus on buying games without online trophies. My advice, trophy hunting wise, is to play good games, don't buy easier or crappy games, just to boost your trophy count. Most movie-licensed games are usually pretty crap, but there are some gems, like Wolverine, Ghostbusters and the more recent Alien Isolation, which is hopefully a sign that movie licensed games are getting better. Avoid titles like Hannah Montana, Terminator Salvation, Aliens: Colonial Marines or Battleship. Also try to avoid crappy games in general, like X-Blades, Blood Drive, Anarchy: Rush Hour and Mindjack.

I do have a few recommendations, for games for Trophy Hunters, just starting out. I highly recommend the God of War series. I've currently beaten 3/6 titles in the series and they've been a blast to play through, even GoW: Ascension is good, just a shame it got panned for introducing multiplayer elements, in a series that really doesn't need them. Thankfully Ascension only has 1 online trophy. I also recommend the Prince of Persia: Sands of time Trilogy and the 2008 game, they're games I highly enjoy playing. The Trine games are easy to beat, and are a lot of fun to play, so I'd recommend picking them up. The Uncharted series, you've already picked up, good taste in games there. I'd recommend you buy the inFAMOUS games, they're really great titles and are great practice for aspiring trophy hunters =). I see you have Fallout: New Vegas, you should also get Fallout 3: GOTY edition. And lastly, if you ever get a PS4, be sure to try out Grim Fandango Remastered, it's a wonderful game <3

Edited by James_Tonto

Start off with some fairly easy platinums that don't require too much time to complete, such as the Uncharted trilogy, Assassin's Creed II, Heavy Rain, Tomb Raider or Splinter Cell Blacklist.  These are all good titles, and only the latter two have more than a couple of online trophies, although none of said trophies are especially tough.  If you earn a few platinums and decide to go after more, then you can start going after tougher or longer games to challenge yourself, such as the GTA series.  Generally, it's always a good idea to get the MP trophies done first, so you don't have to worry about the servers shutting down before you get a chance to do those trophies.  Then, you can tackle the single-player stuff at your leisure.

Try to stay away from Disney games and the majority of movie adaptations, though - the former won't be worth playing unless you really enjoy kids games, and the latter because most of them are awful cash-ins.  But as James_Tonto pointed out, there are a few gems out there, such as Wolverine and Ghostbusters (though sadly, Ghostbusters' MP trophies are now unattainable.  The campaign, however, is fantastic).

How is this even a legitimate question? You don't have trophies because you don't go after them. So if you want to start trophy hunting: decide what times are best to just go at it for a few hours, set it up, get it done, and boom, you have a few thousand trophies like tens of thousands of other people. Maybe you'll even get to reach 100 platinums or something pointless like that like thousands of other people. And that'll prove nothing more than you can having the same skills as everyone else who platinumed Hannah Montana, CSI and inFamous games. At least look at your list and finish the games you have on there. If you just start a bunch of easy trophy games now, you'll end up never wanting to come back to the other ones because of how difficult it is. If you start trying to finish your current trophy list, you'll at least give yourself a very important skill and habit, which is to finish what you started. A lot of people who have shit tons of trophies also have a massive backlog of games that'll never get finished because they either:

started these games for trophies and found out later that it was impossible to get 100% OR
got lazy, because humans do that OR
they realized they suck too much at games to get the trophies for those

If you don't want to end up just another generic template, don't bother "hunting" trophies for games you don't even like. Don't EVER go for games just for trophies...EVER. That is the absolute worst mistake anyone could make and it's a really fucking stupid one too. Games were not made for trophies, trophies were made for games. If you're going after a feature, you're going to wind up not only constantly disappointed and sighing all the time, but you'll end up with a much worse attitude and you'll end up snapping at people for trivial things. If you're already the kind to get pissed (I really mean pissed) at video games for ANY reason, then you're better off not even trying to go after trophies.

• 7 months later...

Does call of duty 4 have trophies? I don't think it does but you should check. COD waw plat is VERY hard but fun to just play. Little big planet is a long grind from what I hear but fun to play. Sports champion requires move, do you have that? 

Personally, I think you should start with uncharted series. Watch dogs has a ton of collectibles, don't let the icons overwhelm you.

COD WAW is "VERY hard"?

Are you high bro? It's easy as shit except for one mission 'Heart of the Reich'. The only difficult part of this mission is destroying the AT Guns ad even that isn't EXTREMELY hard. It is a little tedious but it's not too bad.

COD WAW is "VERY hard"?

Are you high bro? It's easy as shit except for one mission 'Heart of the Reich'. The only difficult part of this mission is destroying the AT Guns ad even that isn't EXTREMELY hard. It is a little tedious but it's not too bad.

1st not a "bro" and 2nd that grenade spam on vet in those trenches is VERY HARD and HARDER for someone who probably is new. Don't be a dick. This isn't someone with a bunch of a platinums who thinks everything is "easy". But you are also kicking up a dead thread with a post from 1st page, just to be that dick? You're an ass.

Very simple just follow these easy steps :

1. Buy every game you can get you hands on PS4 / PS3 / Vita / Remasters / HD collections / Games of Shame

2. Spend all your gaming time admiring your massive collection while you decide what to play

3. Constantly start and change games

4. Occasionally earn trophy

Edited by cjshaitan

Keep playing for fun and slowly start going a little extra mile with a few great games of decent difficulty (4-5/10). After you feel like you got the hang of those no matter the genre, then start going for harder games doing the same.

You'll do wonders in no time.

Edited by Lord_of_Ra

1st not a "bro" and 2nd that grenade spam on vet in those trenches is VERY HARD and HARDER for someone who probably is new. Don't be a dick. This isn't someone with a bunch of a platinums who thinks everything is "easy". But you are also kicking up a dead thread with a post from 1st page, just to be that dick? You're an ass.

hahaha.

Bro is used in a general sense. Secondly, it's not very hard at all? AI have set paths in older games, such as WAW. Along with that persistence is all it takes: crouch, shoot, run to new cover. Even with not a lot of platinums, you can think something is easy, even if it is relatively "difficult". Moreover, I see no where in the site's rules it says you are unable to start up dead threads again. Finally, how the fuck am I a "dick" and an "ass" cause I gave my opinion? It's like you are taking this as a personal attack against you because I find a game easy. If you are actually that easily offended, please get the fuck off of the internet.

• 3 weeks later...

Just get trophies? 

No need for any other complex explanation.

agree here

i discovered trophy hunting playing an awesome game, tomb raider on PS3, when i found myself trying to get the platinum because i'd never gotten one and enjoyed the game so much.. so while googling for help on acquiring a trophy, found this website, and at that time i did not know that these kinds of communities existed.. expected a guide on gamefaqs, but not quite this level of organized trophy acquisition.

from that point on i considered myself a trophy hunter..

since you've posted here asking how to become one, i'd say you're already a trophy hunter.. your conscious effort and desire to acquire trophies makes it so.