Users can now purchase PSN avatars on the PS4.

Aranea Highwind

Yes finally, hopefully the avatars are actual game characters and not just sexualised women xD

What got you the idea that a lot of avatars are or might be sexualized women? From what I've seen, there's a ton of variety in the avatars and it includes game characters. Granted, I don't doubt that some of them are sexualized and we can't control the actions of the nerds and their "hot grills" but that statement seemed just a little bit unneccesary.

On a side note, It's awesome that they brought over all the premium avatars without even having people re download them. I just attempted to change it on my PS4 and the 4 avatars I actually care about were all there.

What got you the idea that a lot of avatars are or might be sexualized women? From what I've seen, there's a ton of variety in the avatars and it includes game characters. Granted, I don't doubt that some of them are sexualized and we can't control the actions of the nerds and their "hot grills" but that statement seemed just a little bit unneccesary.

On a side note, It's awesome that they brought over all the premium avatars without even having people re download them. I just attempted to change it on my PS4 and the 4 avatars I actually care about were all there.

Guessing you have't been on the PS3 store lately the avatars have gone to shit, just a bunch of half naked ladies none of which are even game characters xD

I still don't understand how hard it is to display your bunch of thumbnails you bought on the same account on the PS3, PS4, and Vita at the same time.

I mean, they're just still images, that's the simpliest item sold on the PSN and it doesn't need such calculation time for a machine to display them ><

Also, that would be nice to change your avatar via Sony/PlayStation/PSStore/whatever website, instead of being restricted to use the correct machine this or that avatar is dedicated to.

At least, I see that PS4 availability as a good news, we'll finally have real good avatars again, as PS3 updates is now invaded by tons of ugly and cheap-looking avatars every week (and I don't think publishers are motivated to feed the PS3 avatar market with their characters now).

Most of the time I forget what my avatar even looks like. Not even sure what my avatar is! Is it Warframe!? Lol. 

Would have preferred the friend notification. But then, I'm new and only have a few friends. Would this feature not be a huge annoyance for those of you with tonnes of friends!? 

Most of the time I forget what my avatar even looks like. Not even sure what my avatar is! Is it Warframe!? Lol. 

Would have preferred the friend notification. But then, I'm new and only have a few friends. Would this feature not be a huge annoyance for those of you with tonnes of friends!? 

I think it's from Ratchet and Clank, but don't quote me on this one.

I'd love to have a friend notification too! A solution to the problem you mentioned would be to be able to choose favourites. Like the Xbox One also has, and then give the PS4 the option to only show online notification for favourites.

Also, those God of War avatars on PS4 look awesome! They are also pretty cheap, 0,25 euro I believe. 

Edited by Laura1192

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a really hard time understanding why Sony isn't able to make the PS4 interface as clean and functional as the PS3's. Frankly, they should be ashamed of themselves at this point.

Perfect formulated, couldn't say it better.

As I can remember they had made a XMB like interface for the ps4, but quickly changed it before releasing the PS4 to that what we unfortunately today have ... 

I can't believe how unorganized the XMB remains. The option to categorize and create nice folders for music, games, demos, etc. conveniently provided by the PS3... Nowhere to be seen, leaving you with the joy of treasure hunting for a neglected game pushed aside into the abyss that is your library by subsequently played apps.

As for the avatars... It's about time, even though I've adapted a permanent avatar since the PS3. 

Edited by AdventCloud7
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wish we could get avatars for free if we own the game associated with them :(

That would be amazing. Spending 'x' amount on a game and supporting their efforts/work should grant you at least a couple of tiny pictures we call avatars..