Death From Above - Challenge #2

StewartBros

Am I the only one who simply cannot beat this challenge for love nor money?  I've been attempting it for three hours straight tonight, and I simply cannot get more than 6 kills before I end up being stoned to death.  If it weren't for the damn Gorgon(s), I'd have beaten this by now, but trying to contend with a Gorgon, a Juggernaut and 5 or 6 other aggressive enemies simultaneously, all the while rolling around to try and avoid being hit, with non-replenishing health and magic bars, AND having a 200-second time limit to do it all in, is getting beyond ridiculous. 

How in the hell are you supposed to get through this?!  I've watched several videos and tried to imitate what I've seen there, but I'm obviously not pulling it off well enough.  Using the Spear Of Destiny combo works when there are only 1 or 2 enemies around, but when I get swarmed, I have to constantly evade attacks which just wastes time.  Using the Icarus Wings to launch an enemy and then mashing L1 & :square: or L1 & :circle: works to an extent, but again, when I get swarmed I'm having to constantly roll or block.  Holding :triangle: to launch an enemy followed by a mash combo sometimes takes three such combos to kill the medium enemies - wasting time yet again.  Trying to launch a group of enemies and then spam Cronos' Rage doesn't always work for me either, and when it does work, I don't have enough magic left to do it again.  I read a post somewhere about using Atlas Quake to launch enemies and immediately stoning them so they would shatter when they hit the ground - but that doesn't work.

Like I said, I tried this challenge for three full hours, and had to give up because I was getting so frustrated with it.  I read that this is one of the only two difficult challenges, so hopefully the rest will be easy enough by comparison, but this is really doing my head in (I get angry when I keep losing, haha).  Any suggestions or techniques, before I delete the game and vow never to play a GOW game again?

I don't remember a super hard time with this.. but then again I've played these games back on PS2 and did 'em. All I can say is keep trying and use what you know/watching a video. I failed a few times but it really wasn't that bad. The challenge in GOW 1 with the lift had me pissed though for a little while.

Good luck!

You won't like what I have to say but...

This is where I'm stuck too.  For a year now.  Most claim GOW 1 challenges are harder, but I disagree.  The only thing that made them harder was that you had to do them all at once, but I feel they were easier overall.  Don't set it aside for so long that you forget how to play.

I'm trying to get the platinum ready for January's platinum rain event, so I can't afford to leave it too long!  I'll keep at it, though if I do manage to beat it, I'll certainly never play that challenge again!

Also, I've noticed that most videos show the bonus objective as being "kill 15 enemies", yet I'm being asked to do 20?!  What's that about?

Ywah this challenge was the hardest for me , took me several tries.  Try to kill strong enemys soon , it is worth to have not so much interuptions . fight enemys and launche them only into air when they have red bar on head. After you killed some enemys , weaker ones spawn , they can be killed with one air combo.

It is important that you kill annoying enemys ,  even without air kill.  First the challenge was impossible for me , but than i focused on killing annoying enemys and "air killed" the weaker ones.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Xionx

There are worse challenges than this one in my opinion, but all of them are manageable after some time of practice. You could try the following:

• Try to solo the first 2 enemies with your Blades of Athena, the first part alone could net you 1 or 2 kills.
  • After about 30 seconds, gorgons and juggernauts will appear (along with other common enemies), try to damage everyone but juggernaut as much you can, also don't get air kills now.
  • Gorgon will eventually throw green orbs on you; position yourself near juggernaut and gorgon to parry it, press the prompted button to freeze and kill them (if you can't kill both of them focus on juggernaut).
  • Now position yourself again and try to launch 2 enemies at once by holding  :triangle:, while they're midair use Cronos' Rage once or twice, this could net you 2 kills if you have been damaging them enough.
  • Another useful way to crowd control is position yourself and using Spirit of Hercules ( :triangle:  :triangle:  :triangle: ), you can launch at least 3 enemies with this move if done correctly, then spam Cronos' Rage to get more kills.
  • Eventually you will run out of MP, so make sure to use Rage of the Titans ( :l3:+ :r3: ), enemies can't block your attacks in this mode afaik, so send most of them in the air and try to kill them with :l1:+ :square: before it depletes completely.

Also not sure about the killing 20 enemies as you mentioned before, it seems you only need 10, and 15 for a bonus or something. Anyway, you'll eventually make it so keep trying.  ;)

Edited by Ryoudji

Try to kill strong enemys soon , it is worth to have not so much interuptions . fight enemys and launche them only into air when they have red bar on head. After you killed some enemys , weaker ones spawn , they can be killed with one air combo.

It is important that you kill annoying enemys ,  even without air kill.  First the challenge was impossible for me , but than i focused on killing annoying enemys and "air killed" the weaker ones.

Yeah, I sometimes forget about the juggernauts because I'm too focused on trying to get the regular mooks airborne, which leaves me open to a battering from the juggernaut.  Maybe I'll try killing them asap with the Blade of Olympus or the Hammer and try to ease some of the pressure, even though they'll respawn quite quickly.

There are worse challenges than this one in my opinion, but all of them are manageable after some time of practice. You could try the following:

• Try to solo the first 2 enemies with your Blades of Athena, the first part alone could net you 1 or 2 kills.
  • After about 30 seconds, gorgons and juggernauts will appear (along with other common enemies), try to damage everyone but juggernaut as much you can, also don't get air kills now.
  • Gorgon will eventually throw green orbs on you; position yourself near juggernaut and gorgon to parry it, press the prompted button to freeze and kill them (if you can't kill both of them focus on juggernaut).
  • Now position yourself again and try to launch 2 enemies at once by holding  :triangle:, while they're midair use Cronos' Rage once or twice, this could net you 2 kills if you have been damaging them enough.
  • Another useful way to crowd control is position yourself and using Spirit of Hercules ( :triangle:  :triangle:  :triangle: ), you can launch at least 3 enemies with this move if done correctly, then spam Cronos' Rage to get more kills.
  • Eventually you will run out of MP, so make sure to use Rage of the Titans ( :l3:+ :r3: ), enemies can't block your attacks in this mode afaik, so send most of them in the air and try to kill them with :l1:+ :square: before it depletes completely.

Also not sure about the killing 20 enemies as you mentioned before, it seems you only need 10, and 15 for a bonus or something. Anyway, you'll eventually make it so keep trying.  ;)

* I do tend to kill the first 2 guys with the Athena Blades; no need to use any magic so early on.  Usually by the time I'm finishing the 2nd guy, the Gorgon and Juggernaut are entering the fray. 

* I sometimes try using Icarus Ascension (think that's what it's called) (:l1: & :cross:) to launch multiple enemies and then try spamming Cronos' Rage, but it usually doesn't kill them in time, so I'm obviously not damaging them enough beforehand.

* The Spear of Destiny sometimes works when I can isolate an enemy, but not so much during crowd situations. 

* Haven't tried Spirit of Hercules yet - there are so many moves in the game that I've actually never used....

I know I only need 10 kills to pass the challenge, yet the game says the bonus objective is for killing 20 enemies, and in every video I've seen, the bonus is for 15.  Just seems strange.  Was the bonus requirement upgraded to 20 kills for the HD version?

I rarely used Icarus' Ascension attack when playing GoW, for me it seemed it did no damage to enemies (at least not as much as other aerial moves), most of the time they would either just block it or attack me during its animation, so I've to say there are better starter attacks to launch them in the air. I also don't remember using the spear in this challenge so I can't tell for sure how it could work.

I would stick to spamming :triangle: :triangle: :triangle: since it actually does heavy damage to enemies, it's also harder for them to block it, all you have to do is position yourself in the map to make sure they won't interrupt your combo animation. Another tip I forgot to mention is to parry any incoming attacks, (except juggernaut since they're unblockable iirc), they do considerable damage and sends back enemies caught in the AoE, another good crowd control.

As for the kills, just aim for the 10 no matter what the game says, it's what you need to pass the challenge anyway. And not really sure why yours is 20, maybe the game was patched or something? I can't confirm since I don't have it installed anymore.

• 6 years later...

This challenge is not that hard at all.  Learn how to pop the enemies into the air, then L1+Square for as many hits as you can.  Then repeat.

Kill gorgons when they come out so you don't get stoned in mid air and fall and break apart/die.  Other than that, it's not that bad at all.