Worth it?

SereneSilent

short answer - YES. It is also my first PS3 game...

• Gameplay - played FF games before? if yes, forget it... it has different gameplay, sure it is still turn base but there are changes that you might take time to get used to... and in the end of day, the battle system is something that you will either love or hate.. 
  • Soundtrack - what I love with FF franchise is it often offers good soundtrack. oh.. if you are going to play the English version, just brace yourself to hear My Hands over and over again throughout the game
  • Plot - oh... it's like previous FF games I guess... you begin with a simple (or rather somehow complicated) mission then stuffs happen and you need to save the world... 
  • Characters - ok in short... like battle system... Lightning is someone you'll love or hate... it actually took me 3 XIII games to finally like her. Liking FF XIII character actually depends on you on your point of view...

If you like mashing X and walking down a hallway for 30 hours, then it's the game for you.

Don't forget about the most one dimensional characters in gaming. Oh boy, I wonder if Hope will cry about his dad again. Or if Snow will cry about his girlfriend some more. Or if Lightning will try too hard to be a badass, but come off as someone with the personality of a brick. Then of course there's the convoluted plot, but SquareEnix loves those.

• Like 3

I enjoyed the game. The soundtrack is good, gameplay is fast turn base battle system. The story though is very linear and 80% is character story driven. It's not a game I recommend for your first Final Fantasy but overall I thought it was good

If I buy this, this would be considered as my 3rd FF game. First one was FF VIII and second was FF X.

short answer - YES. It is also my first PS3 game...

• Gameplay - played FF games before? if yes, forget it... it has different gameplay, sure it is still turn base but there are changes that you might take time to get used to... and in the end of day, the battle system is something that you will either love or hate.. 
  • Soundtrack - what I love with FF franchise is it often offers good soundtrack. oh.. if you are going to play the English version, just brace yourself to hear My Hands over and over again throughout the game
  • Plot - oh... it's like previous FF games I guess... you begin with a simple (or rather somehow complicated) mission then stuffs happen and you need to save the world... 
  • Characters - ok in short... like battle system... Lightning is someone you'll love or hate... it actually took me 3 XIII games to finally like her. Liking FF XIII character actually depends on you on your point of view...

The Plot sounds about right.

It's not the best FF but it is decent...especially if it's cheap enough, which it should be by now.   I got the Plat for it and XIII-2, and although they lack a little something other FF titles have, I still had a good time with it, and 2.   The last instalment, Lightning Returns, I didn't buy nor have played, so no idea there, but may well pick it up at some point...actually surprised the 3 games haven't been repackaged for yet another Remastered bundle tbh...

If it's cheap, then yeah, give it a go and 2 if you like the first.  :)

I'm thinking about buying this game but not sure if I would enjoy it. So I would like to hear your opinions about the game.

Gameplay, Soundtrack, Plot, characters anything can be mention but please keep spoilers to a minimum.

Gameplay - too linear for my taste. Battle is enjoyable. 

Soundtrack - at the time, it was the weakest soundtrack of any main FF title, beating out even FFX-2 IMHO.

Plot - a little pretentious, but OK for what it was. The real problem was that the art direction didn't support the plot (can't say more, for fear of spoilers). Certainly, the plot here is better than in its sequels.

If you grew up on the old classics of FFIV, FFVI, FFVII, etc., this game doesn't hold up at all. But if your earliest memories of FF are X or beyond, you might like it.

• Like 1

If you are a fan of the Final Fantasy series: NO!!!!

The game is linear, "free roaming" (if one would even call it that in this game) doesn't happen until near the end of the game, it has horrible storytelling (requires more reading than experiencing), has an annoying cast of characters, has very little in the means of variety in terms of sidequests, and you have to pretty much go out of your way to actually play the game and not watch it play itself.

It is a complete insult to the series' legacy IMO

Edited by merciful84

This is my least favorite FF. But I purchased it because my mom gave me FFXIII-2 as a gift and I enjoyed the sequel so much, but again, some people disliked the sequel, and I loved it. It depends totally on you; to me I really disliked FFXIII to the point of boredom, which is why I never finished it in the first place, but loved FFXIII-2 and Lightning Returns.

-- characters: the characters has like unidimensional thoughts, or like, some people say, plain. They act always the same, they're predictable, one is a badass, one is annoyingly cheerful, one is a crybaby... and that's the context they go through most of the game (since I stopped playing it like 1/2 before ending it, not entirely sure if they change later in game).

-- plot: as every final fantasy, there's a "Final Fantasy" for every world, which means they always talk about something destroying the world or damaging most people over the in-game planet. So yeah, it has a nice story, and the story wasn't why I quitted the game, honestly.

-- gameplay: the main reason why I left this game half-through. I don't care about it being linear, but my issue is that it's sooooo linear that there's too little extra things to do, you can't miss any object if you walk all over the map, you can't fight over and over enemies to get experience unless you save, exit game and reload your save, which is annoying for upgrading your characters. In fights your characters do everything for you, you just input what command you want they to predetermined have like healing, or attacking or black magic or anything and that's it; you don't struggle in battles and just have to press, literally X button the entire time. I know that all FF's are about pressing X over and over in battles, but at least you have to think about what magic, or summon or anything do next, and here you don't that much; to me that was the spice for battles (which is the same for its sequels, but at least you are able to do SO MUCH MORE because you can explore areas and uncover mysteries and stuff).

-- soundtrack: this isn't my favorite FF soundtrack but it has nice music, I don't like in-battle melody though. To me, the best music were from FFX and FFVII.

Hope this helps and I really hope I made myself clear, because english isn't my native language, I understand it at 100% but since I'm not used to talk or write in english, that's why I could have made some confusion in my writing lol

• Like 1

I'm thinking about buying this game but not sure if I would enjoy it. So I would like to hear your opinions about the game.

Gameplay, Soundtrack, Plot, characters anything can be mention but please keep spoilers to a minimum.

It's not a terrible game, but if you've played many of the earlier FF games, you may be disappointed. The game is simply put less and worse in pretty much every regard other than graphics than the earlier games. That is, as I said, not to say it's a bad game. It's actually pretty decent, but don't expect to fall in love with it the way you did with some of the earlier games. The game simply doesn't even have that same feeling to me.

Soundtrack is okay. It has some nice tunes and a lot of meh.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLygKg8e1NKIFuXSDv_ER3ELVCLPULT1qb

That's a playlist of the tracks I thought were nice in the game. It's 27 tracks, but some of those are very similar and the soundtrack consist of 85 tracks or so.

The characters are all rather meh IMO. Many hate a couple of the characters, but I didn't personally do that, though very few are actually all that likable. I think the character I liked the most is the least relevant character to the story. The character development of most of the characters are pretty superficial too, and they do a rather terrible job at this IMO. They do however give each character a decent motivation to even be relevant to the story. :S

The story is pretty short and some is cut from the game and hidden away in menus etc. I didn't particularly care about the story. It has never any clear goal. The "bad guys" are eh, not very clear, and like the last boss etc is not memorable at all, same with most of the bosses etc. There are two sides fighting in the game, and you're kinda on one of the sides and none. The names of the sides are very similar, so unless you take some time and really learn the difference, you may get very confused by this. There's no cities to explore and learn more lore about the world etc. Almost nobody to interact with other than watching cut scenes etc.

Gameplay is probably this game's biggest sin. Most of the game you will be running through corridors. There's no cool secrets to speak of, which gives you very little reason to explore. Oh, if there only was something to explore. While running through these corridors, you will be fighting and grinding, and this has become even more braindead than ever before. You now only have control over one character in battle, and for the most part, you can only select attacks from rather general attack menus. You can however decide what kind of "job" your team mates use. You will be able to set 3 combinations of jobs before battle that you can swap between in battle. You restore back to full health after battle. There's no MP. Much of the thrill from harder portions of earlier FF games are gone, because if you die during battle, you lose nothing. You are basically set back to before you tried fighting the enemy.

Enemies don't drop money any more either, so you gotta farm for items to sell, and very few enemies drop anything valuable. This is something to watch out for when going for the plat. You will want to farm on a spot that is only accessible at one short period of time during the game. When you get to the end of the game, it's no longer accessible, and the grind will be pretty unbearable at that point.

Is there any cool mini games or similar in this game? Pretty much no. There are these missions you can do in this big open area near the end of the game, but those missions consist in killing enemies you've already fought a hundred times throughout the game, with a couple of new enemies in place and an extra hard boss at the end.

The level up system is extremely linear. The weapon level up system is just annoying. You access shops through your menu.

I'm sure there are more negatives I haven't mentioned. :\

FF13 is very, very flawed, but I would recommend it. The linearity becomes incredibly tedious, the story is nothing amazing, and it takes 30 hours before you are actually able to explore, but the game is still a really fun RPG. 

Just make sure you mute the credits once you complete the game, the song is dreadful. 

FF13 is subject to load of unnecessary hatred but upset fans for silly reasons. People don't like the fact that this game is so linear but that is not a drawback at all. This game is a story driven RPG it is not a open world do whatever the hell you want. The player follows the path the games makes for them because that is how the story is being told, this isn't the Elder Scrolls. The gameplay is fun but it stops being fun when the grind starts but you will enjoy completing missions. the battles are intriguing and sometimes very challenging. It's visually impressive for a game that was made in 2010 for PS3. The characters will feel like you've know them for years and have experienced their highs and lows with them, even whiny Vanille. The story itself is awesome and so is this game.

None of the Final Fantasy games and most critically acclaimed RPG's before FF13 forced you to stay on a single path, and that's because it goes against the RPG formula altogether. You want to be able to explore vast open worlds with your customisable team in an RPG, but FF13 doesn't permit that. If I want to go through the story i'll go through the story, and if i want to take time to explore i'll explore, but with FF13 your not given the option. 

I thought FF13 was a good game, but the linearity is a major flaw. 

None of the Final Fantasy games and most critically acclaimed RPG's before FF13 forced you to stay on a single path, and that's because it goes against the RPG formula altogether. You want to be able to explore vast open worlds with your customisable team in an RPG, but FF13 doesn't permit that. If I want to go through the story i'll go through the story, and if i want to take time to explore i'll explore, but with FF13 your not given the option. 

I thought FF13 was a good game, but the linearity is a major flaw. 

FFX was linear as well. In fact, I think X has the same "flaws" as XIII, but they are way worse.

Now I just think I have to play LR next year, can't believe I've left this saga unfinished.

FFX was linear as well. In fact, I think X has the same "flaws" as XIII, but they are way worse.

Now I just think I have to play LR next year, can't believe I've left this saga unfinished.

While FFX was very much a straight line through the story, it was much more open in many ways than FXIII.

Sidequests

Cities to explore and people to talk to

Secrets

More open areas

Divergent paths

Things are more hidden

Anyways, the linearity of FFXIII was far from it's only problem. Other things the game did worse was:

Story

Characters, both good and bad, and character development

Music

Battle system

Level up system

Money system

Little side lore

Nothing to explore and dig deeper into

Lack of cities

Lack of world map (though FFX didn't have that either in the same sense as the older games)

etc etc :P

FFXIII wasn't terrible or trash etc, but it simply wasn't all that great in comparison to the earlier games.

• 1 month later...

this game is so boring.

ive tried 5 times to get into playing it. im playing it right now and the only reason? its on my profile with an E rating.. with only 2 trophy's earned. im going to play this game just for the trophies. a real shame.. I still play ff7 and ff8 on my psp.

so I said im playing it right now... and reading and posting on forums during the same time... theirs virtually no gamer input needed. if I wasn't on the forums id probably be falling asleep..

cant comment on plot doesn't seem gripping at all yet. characters seem to be set in one way thinking.

graphics look amazing for the time they were produced however barely watching the screen and just mashing x.

• 3 months later...

FF13 is subject to load of unnecessary hatred but upset fans for silly reasons. People don't like the fact that this game is so linear but that is not a drawback at all. This game is a story driven RPG it is not a open world do whatever the hell you want. The player follows the path the games makes for them because that is how the story is being told, this isn't the Elder Scrolls. The gameplay is fun but it stops being fun when the grind starts but you will enjoy completing missions. the battles are intriguing and sometimes very challenging. It's visually impressive for a game that was made in 2010 for PS3. The characters will feel like you've know them for years and have experienced their highs and lows with them, even whiny Vanille. The story itself is awesome and so is this game.

Agree with everything here, but FFXIII was not made in 2010. It was released in 2009 and localized in 2010.

If you want to play a linear FF game, you're better off playing 10.

As someone that has played every FF to date, this one has to be the absolute worst. The gameplay itself is fine, however the plot and characters leave a lot to be desired. I swear if I hear Snow say hero this hero that one more time I'm going to tear my hair out. Hope is the main reason why I absolutely hate little kid characters in rpgs with all of the whining. Sazh is probably the most well written character, but he even comes off as really bland.

The games environments look really nice and the OST is decent. If you can get it for less than 10 dollars I'd say give it a shot.

Edited by SnowxSakura

If you want to play a linear FF game, you're better off playing 10.

As someone that has played every FF to date, this one has to be the absolute worst. The gameplay itself is fine, however the plot and characters leave a lot to be desired. I swear if I hear Snow say hero this hero that one more time I'm going to tear my hair out. Hope is the main reason why I absolutely hate little kid characters in rpgs with all of the whining. Sazh is probably the most well written character, but he even comes off as really bland.

The games environments look really nice and the OST is decent. If you can get it for less than 10 dollars I'd say give it a shot.

There are certain subjects games to "hate"! and why does this happen? because people's mind is stuck in the past!

people will not let buy a game just because someone doesn't like it

But as a friend of mine said, opinions are like underpants (each one was their own) :P :P

There are certain subjects games to "hate"! and why does this happen? because people's mind is stuck in the past!

people will not let buy a game just because someone doesn't like it

But as a friend of mine said, opinions are like underpants (each one was their own) :P :P

I never told them not to buy it, I said if they could find it for less than 10 dollars to go for it.

I never told them not to buy it, I said if they could find it for less than 10 dollars to go for it.

No but you said "As someone that has played every FF to date, this one has to be the absolute worst"

its your opinion nothing against :)