Informal Review/Why do you like Uncharted 2?

After playing Drake's Fortune Remastered, as a new entrant into the series, I thought that the Uncharted franchise was overhyped trash. Uncharted 1 felt clumsy, repetive and unpolished (in my opinion); for this reason I went into Uncharted 2 with low expectations. I heard that it was better than Uncharted 1 but I wasn't expecting much of an improvement. Boy was I wrong.

Uncharted 2 is sooo good. I haven't enjoyed an action game this much since Metal Gear Solid 2 which is my favorite action game of all time. The combat is fun, challenging and fresh. The game is also very fair (I never felt I didn't deserve to die). The enemies have variety and it requires split-second judgements to approach a situation appropriately.

The story and characters are very Hollywood, which can be a bad thing, but when direction and lines are pulled off as seamlessly as this you can't help but appreciate it. The graphics are also really nice.

I know that everyone says that this game is great, but I would have never imagined that it would be this good. I will have to completely agree with the majority on this point: Uncharted 2 is exceptional. I'll have to play Uncharted 3 to see if it is as disapointing as people say. 

Why do you guys like Uncharted 2?

I like Uncharted 2 because:

• The hand-to-hand combat was improved a lot.
  • The same goes for the enemy AI
  • It's possible to use stealth kills, as opposed to Uncharted 1 where enemies would always know where you are after firing once.
  • The story is amazing and interesting
  • The environment is diverse.
  • Chloe was added to the Uncharted cast. :awesome:
  • Harry Flinn's voice actor also voiced Alistair in Dragon Age Origins and was one of my favourite characters. Instead of being bullied by Morrigan (Chloe's voice actress), he bosses her around.
  • Elena isn't the cliched woman in distress anymore.
  • It was clear who the bad guy was, and he's an insane sociopath. His voice actor did a great job with that.

tl;dr: Naughty Dog took everything from Uncharted 1 and improved it.

Edited by Dragon-Archon
  • Like 3

I like Uncharted 2 because:

• The hand-to-hand combat was improved a lot.
  • The same goes for the enemy AI
  • It's possible to use stealth kills, as opposed to Uncharted 1 where enemies would always know where you are after firing once.
  • The story is amazing and interesting
  • The environment is diverse.
  • Chloe was added to the Uncharted cast. :awesome:
  • Harry Flinn's voice actor also voiced Alistair in Dragon Age Origins and was one of my favourite characters. Instead of being bullied by Morrigan (Chloe's voice actress), he bosses her around.
  • Elena isn't the cliched woman in distress anymore.
  • It was clear who the bad guy was, and he's an insane sociopath. His voice actor did a great job with that.

tl;dr: Naughty Dog took everything from Uncharted 1 and improved it.

Pretty much my opinion as well.

Thats the only flaw in Uncharted 2, Sully only had a cameo role :(. I wish he got more screentime in the game.

True, TBH I'd play a game that was based around Sully in his youth.

More seriously though I agree with basically everything Dragon said. I also will add Tenzin, who's another badass. The environments in 2 were the most interesting and varied.

3 was a complete disaster, aside from the fact they added splitscreen which was cool and the fact that the visuals themselves were amazing I just didn't like it.

• 3 years later...

Pro's

1 - As the OP stated this is how a sequel should be done. It was improved in almost every single section but kept the charm for the characters.

2 - As per the voice actors did a superb job, probably some of the best work done out of all video games to date.

3 - much better selection of weapons.

4 - Loved almost all locations in the game. 

5 - Crushing mode this time around was a great challenge. 

Con's

1 -  In terms of trophies, Blue Point destroyed the trilogy. Brutal with cheats is horrible, I wouldn't even entertain it without. 

2 -  I hate ND with their slow intros. Plus using the same section twice in a game was uber lazy and pretty shite. 

3 - Duck & cover is still pretty broken and in many ways even worse than the first due to the different levels and the set pieces.

4 - The gun accuracy cursor is even worse than the first in some ways. 

5 - Due to how Blue Point broken the franchise remaster, the gamer has too much control taken from them. Getting killed before given proper control, again, brutal is so much worse than the first game as almost every section for Uncharted 2 brutal mode is broken. With the practiced skill and dedication a gamer should be able to get through this type of game without taking a single hit, but due to how Blue Point broken everything the Uncharted Remasters are impossible to do a no hit run completion. 

Edited by DaveMcDamage