This has not aged well and the PS3 port does no justice

Asuka Langley

Mass Effect is a trilogy that's been around us for years now, however the first only came to PS3 a couple of years ago after being on Xbox and PC.

Take my advice and if you want to play the Mass Effect trilogy DO NOT pick up the PS3 port of Mass Effect 1, there are several bugs and glitches that are not present in neither the PC or Xbox version, there are framerate drops across the board further into NG+ playthroughs - and addtionally freezing becomes more common - and one of the DLC present in the Xbox version - I'm not too sure about PC - is not present on PS3 and contains some of the easiest grinding areas in the whole game.

So, if you're a Sony Pony it might be a good idea to steer away from this port, but if you're open enough to have an Xbox or a PC capable of running ME then go pick it up on one of those :dunno:

Edited by Lilly Satou

It's not that bad, most of those issues you've mentioned are present on the 360 version as well. The game has never run well. And you need to play ME1 to carry your decisions onto ME2 & ME3. I played through the game just fine baring the occasional frame-rate drop. Also this is the first time I've heard of bugs & glitches exclusive to the PS3 version, care to explain more about that?

Having never played it before it came to ps3, I enjoyed every minute of this game. While there are some issues with it, I personally never ran into anything game breaking and for the most part ran pretty smooth for an old game. The story and characters are amazing and I'd recommend it to anyone starting off the series.

*I own a physical copy so I don't know if that runs better than digital

Edited by black__bunny
  • Like 2

I always thought the games problems were because it was the first game of the series. That and I don't think they had a very big team or as much of a budget as the sequels. The real major screwup that did happen was one of the DLC's from the Xbox and PC got it's files corrupted and so they couldn't port it over to PS3.

Mass Effect is a trilogy that's been around us for years now, however the first only came to PS3 a couple of years ago after being on Xbox and PC.

Take my advice and if you want to play the Mass Effect trilogy DO NOT pick up the PS3 port of Mass Effect 1, there are several bugs and glitches that are not present in neither the PC or Xbox version, there are framerate drops across the board further into NG+ playthroughs - and addtionally freezing becomes more common - and one of the DLC present in the Xbox version - I'm not too sure about PC - is not present on PS3 and contains some of the easiest grinding areas in the whole game.

So, if you're a Sony Pony it might be a good idea to steer away from this port, but if you're open enough to have an Xbox or a PC capable of running ME then go pick it up on one of those :dunno:

A quick search in digital foundry shows you may have rose-tinted glasses for the Xbox 360 version. They are both relatively the same, with the Xbox having a bit more screen tears and marginally worse frame rate. I will attest that the best version is the PC, but with 360 and PS3, it's relatively the same. As for freezes, if you buy digital they seem to be non-existent. I know it isn't a choice for everyone, but it is there. I personally had a disk version and it did freeze about 2-3 times and I'm sure it would have doubled if I played through it again. 

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-mass-effect-PS3-face-off

• Like 2

I personally haven't played the PS3 version, but the things you mentioned (glitches mostly getting stuck somewhere, freezes and heavy frame-rate issues) were all present on my 360, and this was roughly one year ago.

It was still playable though, and I would still recommend the game for it's amazing story.

Edited by Yukizm69
  • Like 1

I also played the digital version and only encountered a bug near the end of the playthrough during the final boss fight.

I'm still hoping that they'll release a remastered version of the trilogy on t PS4. I'd buy that day one if they ever do.

Parker

Me too, maybe with Mass Effect Andromeda it'll happen.

Thanks for the timely heads up 3 years after the release date...I guess? :dunno:

Thanks for taking the time to read the first line acknowledging this.

I'm still hoping that they'll release a remastered version of the trilogy on t PS4. I'd buy that day one if they ever do.

Parker

Same, but they better fix up the game to get rid of the glitches ect

It's not that bad, most of those issues you've mentioned are present on the 360 version as well. The game has never run well. And you need to play ME1 to carry your decisions onto ME2 & ME3. I played through the game just fine baring the occasional frame-rate drop. Also this is the first time I've heard of bugs & glitches exclusive to the PS3 version, care to explain more about that?

A quick search in digital foundry shows you may have rose-tinted glasses for the Xbox 360 version. They are both relatively the same, with the Xbox having a bit more screen tears and marginally worse frame rate. I will attest that the best version is the PC, but with 360 and PS3, it's relatively the same. As for freezes, if you buy digital they seem to be non-existent. I know it isn't a choice for everyone, but it is there. I personally had a disk version and it did freeze about 2-3 times and I'm sure it would have doubled if I played through it again. 

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-mass-effect-PS3-face-off

Rose-tinted Glasses for Xbox? xD

I've played both versions - as well as the PC version - and the Xbox version definitely ran better than the PS3, with my several playthroughs on xbox only generating one or two freezes whereas I've experienced around six crashes in the past two days on the playstation, several frame drops and instances where shep's player model would face only one way - as well as the mako getting stuck in the ground for ten to twenty second periods.

Sure there's games on PS3 that run better than games on the 360, but this isnt one of them

I'm speaking more from personal experience with each version when I say that the PS3 port has to be the worst out of the three available (until nintendo drop that wii u port :awesome:) and does no justice to the game whatsoever.

Every ps3/xbox 360 has issues. And that's not even talking about the game.

Some people use their console in many ways and sometimes those ways strain your console. Then you add playing a decision based RPG to that mix with all its complex coding, its bound to crash @ least twice in a playthru. People just tend to lump it in to the game being broken/unfinished/bad.

A brand new concole with no other game or apps or stuff on it will run smoother then one brimming full of all the games we love to play.

Did this game have freezes?

Did it have specific freezes?

Was your HDD "full"?

Were you is using text/voice chat at any point while play?

Did you open up XMB?

There are so many questions that it's not even funny

Parker

I would have no problem paying $60 for all three remastered with all the DLC. Enjoyed the Multiplayer of ME3 so I hope they wouldn't cut it.

Thanks for taking the time to read the first line acknowledging this.

Same, but they better fix up the game to get rid of the glitches ect

Rose-tinted Glasses for Xbox? xD

I've played both versions - as well as the PC version - and the Xbox version definitely ran better than the PS3, with my several playthroughs on xbox only generating one or two freezes whereas I've experienced around six crashes in the past two days on the playstation, several frame drops and instances where shep's player model would face only one way - as well as the mako getting stuck in the ground for ten to twenty second periods.

Sure there's games on PS3 that run better than games on the 360, but this isnt one of them

I'm speaking more from personal experience with each version when I say that the PS3 port has to be the worst out of the three available (until nintendo drop that wii u port :awesome:) and does no justice to the game whatsoever.

Point is that despite your unfortunate unlucky experience, the general consensus is that it is the same, it's in the link. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-mass-effect-PS3-face-off

• Like 3

Having played both the X360 and PS3 versions I don't really know what you're talking about. The PS3 version doesn't seem to have any more bugs/glitches than the 360 version had. It hasn't really aged well, but that's true for both consoles not just PS3. Although considering it's often on sale for very low prices it's still worth getting IMO. May be pretty archaic but it's a lot of fun and sets up the following games nicely.

Definatly agree on the fact that the trilogy deserves a remaster. Also because of Andromeda, I know this ME game won't follow the same protagonist, but it is still the same universe and it still would be a nice introduction/reminder to play the trilogy before Andromeda comes out. Definatly for the people that haven't played it before or don't own a PS3

I played ME 2 & 3 on the Xbox 360 and ME 1 on the PS3 on were I didn't encounter any bugs. At least nothing major.

Wish I turned it around though, play part 1 on the Xbox 360 and 2 & 3 on PS3. So annoying playing a game which has 2 DVD's. 

"Are you sure you wish to fly to this part of the Galaxy?

[Yes]

Please insert disk 2."

Edited by Laura1192