Activision to Buy King for $6.4 Billion - Thoughts?

GaryHyphenJon

Hi everyone,

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on Activision buying King, the developers of Candy Crush Sage for over $6 billion.

Personally, I feel as if it is a product of big interactive entertainment corporations trying to diversify their portfolio so they can better prepare for the future.  A lot of talk has surrounded Activision paying too much for King, but maybe they know something we don't?  It's not unlike what Square Enix has done with their pachinko machines.

Anyway, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this, as well as whether or not you think games like Candy Crush will get 'better' under Activision's watch.

Thanks.

Can't wait for the movie to come out, I'm thinking rom-com. I would say its a good investment but too much for a company that size. Candy Crush is popular but its popularity can down at anytime which could cripple the sale. Activision also need to watch out for trends of CC and how this potential is affecting it, a lot of these deals can go sour due to bigger disliked company buying out a smaller but likeable companies which can cause an impact on stock prices.

I think I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

For many reasons more than just the surface "Company buys company for shitload of money" one, but everything that stems from this is depressing. The fact they have that much money to throw around, the fact they'd spend it on such a game (no, it's not on a company, it's on the game, King have nothing else of value), the fact they'll not just make their money back on this but that they'd make it back within only a few years in all likelihood, the fact that Spider-Man 4 still isn't being made, and the whole thing with this being a copy paste game at best and at worst it being a game that tried to copyright the word candy.

Fuck this shit, is / are my thought / s.

• Like 1

They won't make 6 billion dollars from a damn mobile game! They might make a little money back but that's it.

I think you underestimate the mobile market. There is a reason King felt they were worth that much. A LOT of money is made from mobile games. It is why companies like Konami are giving up games like Metal Gear and Silent Hill for mobile as they can make a lot more money in that field.

It makes me sad that Activision are willing to make such a massive and risky purchase, but they're not happy to spend a tiny fraction of that on either Crash Bandicoot or Spyro :(

They spent and made a shit ton of money on Spyro, it just isn't the Spyro you wanted

Skylanders-spyros-adventure-cover-okladk

It makes me sad that Activision are willing to make such a massive and risky purchase, but they're not happy to spend a tiny fraction of that on either Crash Bandicoot or Spyro :(

you want Activision to start publishing spyro and crash bandicoot? Crash bandicoot was made by naughty dogs so cmon. even if they were the publishers there are companies that will make a better job. Naughty Dog can find better publishers, look at black ops 3 PCs they don't do a good job anymore.

On topic: meh Activision is Activision profit over gaming and they might earn so much over time

Edited by Raccoon

Good on King. I honestly don't have too much bad to say about King...

Hopefully this won't turn Activision even worse, but honestly, I haven't had that much trouble with them lately, but that's mostly because I don't play their games, same thing with EA and often Ubisoft.

Edited by MMDE

I find it hilarious because King have just ripped off Bejeweled and Solitaire with most of their games. Its not so much the company they bought but the mindshare. 

Crazy to think that EA bought Popcap for $600m, MS bought Minecraft for $2.5b, and Disney buys STAR WARS for $4b, and this mobile dev gets bought for $6.5b. Wild really.  

I find it hilarious because King have just ripped off Bejeweled and Solitaire with most of their games. Its not so much the company they bought but the mindshare. 

Crazy to think that EA bought Popcap for $600m, MS bought Minecraft for $2.5b, and Disney buys STAR WARS for $4b, and this mobile dev gets bought for $6.5b. Wild really.  

What they usually pay this kind of big money for is the user base.

What they usually pay this kind of big money for is the user base.

I agree, still seems like a fickle purchase considering how fast these mobile games come and go. But Activision arent stupid, so Im sure they've got something up their sleeve. 

The only thing silly about this really, is if Acti think they can keep the users engaged. 

My girlfriend plays Candy Crush. And the Frozen PS4 match 3 thing. And really any new one that comes along. She plays real games too, but this is what I've learned from watching how and what she plays on her phone: PEOPLE PLAY THE NEW LATEST THING, AND THEN THEY DON'T EVER AGAIN. She played Frozen like nuts for a week or so, then left and hasn't touched it since. She still plays Candy Crush, but never buys a life or anything and just fucks off when it asks for money.

If this is how most of their 90+ million userbase treats all these games, which I'd hope it is, they won't hold onto them for too long and King was lucky to sell when they did.

However, if Acti is Acti and Acti keeps making the same thing with enough new things to make it feel different every year, then maybe they'll pull it off.

Either way, I just don't see it happening. I mean, I know they'll make their money back, but even still I can't place that belief into the realm of believably, I can't explain how they'll make their money back, yet I know they will. I guess this is what being religious feels like, you believe in something so something absurdly impossible, and you can't find any logical means to prove your believe.

Basically this move is nuts and I can't believe that they'll make their money back but I know they will at the same time and it's sad pandas.