Settlement Improvements / Benevolent Leader

fbdbh

The guides are still a bit vague about this, so if anybody can share insight, please do.

- What is considered a "Large Settlement"? (Does Sanctuary count?)

- What is the value of Maximum Happiness?

- Are there objects / services that improve happiness better than others?

• Like 1

To make a settlement large, you have to send all of your companions to the same one. Sanctuary is probably best for this, since it starts with a handful of people already. To increase their happiness, make sure all their needs are met and even throw in some electricity and decorations. Check in often and you’ll have this trophy in no time. When you check your map it'll show a percentage of how happy they are for example 55% or 78% but once they reach 100% that's when the trophy should pop:)

I do know it takes time and it works just as a real relationship with IRL. You have to romance, flirt, do things they like etc... But, you have to find out because some companions may like to eat flesh and that's what you gotta do..lol

Others include generosity, taking chems, and all that other good stuff.

It's glitched it seems.
For me my pipboy workshop stats lie.
I build a place with say 50 water, 30 beds. 30 power, 100 defense and 50 food.

While I'm in settlement those stats are correct and happiness is going up. 

When I leave however.

My 17 person population is now 34, my defense is 0 and my water is 0.

With happiness going down ofc.

Glitchy as an MF.

I was racing for first legit plat, not cheating by starting early. ;)
But yeah I wasted too much time on this only to find out it's glitched for me.

Edited by Humonic

Maintaining a settlement comes down to making sure your settlers maintain a high Happiness rating. To do this, you must have enough beds, food, water, defense, and power based on the number of settlers in your community:) So, as soon as you build enough defenses, power, beds, water etc check your stats and they all should turn green if you have enough to justify the amount of peeps you have.

To make a settlement large, you have to send all of your companions to the same one. Sanctuary is probably best for this, since it starts with a handful of people already. To increase their happiness, make sure all their needs are met and even throw in some electricity and decorations. Check in often and you’ll have this trophy in no time. When you check your map it'll show a percentage of how happy they are for example 55% or 78% but once they reach 100% that's when the trophy should pop:)

You clearly have not done enough research on this trophy to suggest "just have enough of everything and you will reach 100% happiness in no time". Only 2 people in the world have it so far (at least amongst psnprofiles users). There are a lot of threads on different forums talking about this trophy, because no one is able to get it like it should be (like you assumed, just make them happy, easy peasy, get trophy).

What seems to be the way to do it is to build a shit load of the most expensive stores (like clinics, restaurants etc (the ones that specifically state that they make settlements happier). Just keep everything in the green (no reason to have 60 food if only 20 is needed etc), and use all other available "space" on the biggest clinics/food etc. (there is a limit, when you reach size 100% you cant build anymore, so you have to remove every excess item to fit in as many clinics as possible). One of the users who have obtained the trophy had like 15 of them.

So there is absolutely no logic in this, people who spend hours and hours on making everything "neat and tidy" with electricity etc etc. will prob have to tear it all down to be able to fit in all the clinics. At least I am struggling with the space on "the castle", maybe sanctuary is bigger idk.

source: http://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/fallout-4-a/278508-just-got-my-platinum-ask-me-anything-9.html

Edited by eivinds

What seems to be the way to do it is to build a shit load of the most expensive stores (like clinics, restaurants etc (the ones that specifically state that they make settlements happier). Just keep everything in the green (no reason to have 60 food if only 20 is needed etc), and use all other available "space" on the biggest clinics/food etc. (there is a limit, when you reach size 100% you cant build anymore, so you have to remove every excess item to fit in as many clinics as possible). One of the users who have obtained the trophy had like 15 of them.

So there is absolutely no logic in this, people who spend hours and hours on making everything "neat and tidy" with electricity etc etc. will prob have to tear it all down to be able to fit in all the clinics. At least I am struggling with the space on "the castle", maybe sanctuary is bigger idk.

Ugh I hope not. My Sanctuary goes between 81-83% happiness. 16 pop. 34 or so food. 40 something water, 24 beds. A clinic, a misc trader, and I just added a bar before I turned it off so I don't know how much that added to the happiness. My defense is 104 and I forgot how high my electric is but its fairly high, like over 50. I need a proper grid its starting to look cluttered. 

My defense still has an exclamation point, I don't know why or high those settlers think it needs to be. I was on easy, just switched it to normal not too long ago since I got a bit of stimpacks stocked up.

Correction: food is 42, water is 79 and power is 64

It's glitched it seems.

For me my pipboy workshop stats lie.

I build a place with say 50 water, 30 beds. 30 power, 100 defense and 50 food.

While I'm in settlement those stats are correct and happiness is going up. 

When I leave however.

My 17 person population is now 34, my defense is 0 and my water is 0.

With happiness going down ofc.

Glitchy as an MF.

I was racing for first legit plat, not cheating by starting early. ;)

But yeah I wasted too much time on this only to find out it's glitched for me.

If your defense and stuff disappeared from the counter on the map, you probably got hit with raiders or animals, you have to go back and repair them as they broke down once they were used. Generators also break and look like they are on fire.

Edited by Not_like_therest

That is pretty true. I had to go back to the drive in a few times right after I left because I guess I got hit by a mole rat or something and I had to repair my turret. Then my generator took a dump..haha

Right after I fixed that I was walking to the workstation and all of a sudden a guy popped out of sky and landed on his ass..and I had another settler...glitch or not. That was a funny to see that.

Maximum Population is 10 (Workshop Default) + your Charisma stat. So the total maximum can be upto 21.

E.G. I have Charisma at 7. I have a max population of 17 settlers.

Pretty sure once you've reached your maximum population, it is considered a "Large Settlement".

Heres what you do, get water to 100, and defense to ~150. Have ~ 30 food and ~15 settlers. Now force 3 of them to work on food, and then force the rest to work in clinics, resteraunts, and clothing. Don't have a beacon or else your happiness will go down when more settlers arrive. Stay in town and wait, your happiness will steadily rise. Make sure those 3 are always working on food and you should be fine. Took me about 8 hours to go from 85% to 100% with 11 maxed out clinics/bars/clothing.

Building stores and such should go without saying. To make sure all their needs are met, your definetly going to need that. I never said it was easy. 100% happiness if they're playing on easy should be easy as hell. I myself am playing on hard.

I think you missed my point. Point is that the 100% happiness is not properly coded, so you have to have a ton of stores, not just the regular amount that would make sense. I'm pretty sure this is not what the developers had in mind when making the game. If you do some research and check out the screenshots people have been posting, thats not a "happy" place, thats a settlement over-cluttered with shops, where no one should be happy because it looks a mess.

I'm currently at happiness 97 with 18 of the lvl3 clinics. Hopefully it will pop soon. I tried earlier with 13 clinics and left the game on over night but only reached 98 then it went down to 96 and kept dropping, so I reloaded save and built some more.

Difficulty doesn't play a role in this btw.

I think you missed my point. Point is that the 100% happiness is not properly coded, so you have to have a ton of stores, not just the regular amount that would make sense. I'm pretty sure this is not what the developers had in mind when making the game. If you do some research and check out the screenshots people have been posting, thats not a "happy" place, thats a settlement over-cluttered with shops, where no one should be happy because it looks a mess.

I'm currently at happiness 97 with 18 of the lvl3 clinics. Hopefully it will pop soon. I tried earlier with 13 clinics and left the game on over night but only reached 98 then it went down to 96 and kept dropping, so I reloaded save and built some more.

Difficulty doesn't play a role in this btw.

Finally got it. Glad I got this done and over with way before I get the platinum, what an absolute pain in the ass trophy. Now I can enjoy the rest of the game knowing I don't have trouble up ahead.

This is what my settlement looked like. I had 18 of the lvl3 stores.

I do not recommend using The Castle for this at all. First of all it got 2 people in there you cannot use for anything/or send away, so I only had 22 people available for this project (4 for food and 18 for stores), second it comes with so much stuff already equipped, so the build size is very limited compared to other settlements. I had to clear out a lot of stuff, to be able to build all 18 stores, and as you can see the size is maxed. I didn't realize this until I was at a point of no return and just had to go for it, but it sure gave me an extra headache as if it wasn't annoying enough as is.

yPk0NgI.jpg

click to enlarge

Edited by eivinds
  • Like 2

Can you clear out pre-existing structures? Like those houses in sanctuary that are still standing? If so. what level of perk do I need?

I can get water and defense no problem, Those stores are going to have to wait until I have some more caps and levels though. But I won't worry about that until I reload a save file after I get all faction trophies.

Can you clear out pre-existing structures? Like those houses in sanctuary that are still standing? If so. what level of perk do I need?

I can get water and defense no problem, Those stores are going to have to wait until I have some more caps and levels though. But I won't worry about that until I reload a save file after I get all faction trophies.

I dont think you have to worry that much about the size in Sanctuary. I have seen people got it there with around 80% size and 16-18 shops, so it will prob not be an issue unless you have built a lot of stuff. Problem with the Castle was because it's so filled from the beginning (armory with a lot of laser turrets, a bunch of different "stations" etc., so it was just more difficult to work with, running around trying to find stuff to remove without people getting upset.

Edited by eivinds

I dont think you have to worry that much about the size in Sanctuary. I have seen people got it there with around 80% size and 16-18 shops, so it will prob not be an issue unless you have built a lot of stuff. Problem with the Castle was because it's so filled from the beginning (armory with a lot of laser turrets, a bunch of different "stations" etc., so it was just more difficult to work with, running around trying to find stuff to remove without people getting upset.

Ah ok, thanks. 

Also was wondering from an aesthetics pov, would rather be able to tear those down and replace them with shacks. They just look terrible imo. but I can make do trophy wise. 

So I just got this trophy and it took longer than it needed to, in part because I tried to outplay the system. I was at 20 settlers but I leveled up my charisma so I had room for one more settler and since I didn't want to leave my settlement and risk having happiness go down while I was away (which happens if the stats are glitched in your pipboy), I waited for one of the trade route people I had set up in another settlement to come by and assigned them to a clinic before they left, having done this I thought I might be able to go over the cap and so I did the same to another one bringing me up to 22 people in my settlement even though my limit was 21. They didn't leave and worked in their shops but my happiness wouldn't rise above 97, so eventually I sent them away and recruited a settler from the drive-in and it went up to 100 in around 30 minutes. I think this happened because the trade route people are listed as "provisioner" and not "settler" which may keep them from contributing to raising happiness. So, just in case anyone has the same not so bright idea that I had, save yourself some time and frustration and don't do it.

This is ridiculous. We're either missing something or the settlement thing is broken. My Sanctuary is pimped up as all hell, all settlers have plenty of beds, food, water and protection, not to mention stuff like a lounge with a jukebox and a pool table complete with balls and cues. Electricity in every house, luxury lighting, TVs, their own shopping center... and I can barely get to 87 happiness.

I hope they patch this or somebody finds out what's missing so I don't have to build a goddamn Walmart in my town.

• Like 3

Stupid requirements for happiness on this. My town was a mess of clinics and bars when this went. When I got this I deleted them immediately to make it more normal and happiness dropped instantly lol. This is how I did it at sanctuary with 19 settlers

The max happiness of a settlement without any shops is 80. You get to 80 by doing what you'd expect. Plenty of food, water, defence etc. Once you hit 80 you need 10 lvl 3 stores to get to 100 as each of these stores increases the happiness cap by 2. It can be any combination of food, clothing or medical. Only use settlers to work these as any followers or named residents have a habit of abandoning their posts. You just have to wait then

• Like 1

All my stats in Sanctuary are in green, I have a little more than what's needed (I think) for each stat like defence and water. Happiness went from 60-65 to around 40, no idea why. Well, it started to drop after I added in some shops, people are assigned to them.

I don't get how it works at all. They didn't explain much about bases and settlers either, I had to watch a video on how to get lights working. Maybe it is easy and I'm missing the obvious stuff.