Settlement Improvements / Benevolent Leader

fbdbh

This is ridiculous. We're either missing something or the settlement thing is broken. My Sanctuary is pimped up as all hell, all settlers have plenty of beds, food, water and protection, not to mention stuff like a lounge with a jukebox and a pool table complete with balls and cues. Electricity in every house, luxury lighting, TVs, their own shopping center... and I can barely get to 87 happiness.

I hope they patch this or somebody finds out what's missing so I don't have to build a goddamn Walmart in my town.

Try putting some decorations everywhere that should increase it. Statues, flags, lamps etc...

Here is exactly how I got it.

24 people

30 food

40 water

107 defence

like 20 power

I assigned 3 people to food, and 18 people to level 3 shops. I had a few people that I couldn't assign to things, idk if that was a glitch or if they were programmed to be useless. I didn't leave my settlement at all because if I did my happiness would drop dramatically. I would rest on a bed for 24 hours, would check to see if my settlers were still assigned to the stores (make sure you do this because they have a nasty habit of becoming unassigned, especially if it's a companion), then I'd rest for another 24 hours. I put up so many paintings in the houses that I reached the limit on things I could build in Sanctuary.

As far as I know lighting is useless, and there's no need to have more food and water than settlers. It will take a very long time since the happiness meter increases so slowly so be patient. Also sometimes you will get a job from one of your settlers to go kill some ghouls or bandits. I completed those missions if it were for the settlement I was trying to raise to 100 but I would save first just in case my happiness glitched out and dropped while I was doing it.

Try putting some decorations everywhere that should increase it. Statues, flags, lamps etc...

I have lots of those everywhere. I'm at the point where I really like how my settlement looks, I've put a lot of time into it because I'm having so much fun with it. I'm probably just gonna make a separate save and build a bunch of nonsense to get to 100 and then reload. It's so dumb.

Here's exactly how i did it. Not saying i know how the trophy works but this is what i exactly did and it worked for me.

1. Have 20+ settlers, 10 as default and another 10 for level 10 charisma(1 each level). Some extras might turn up randomly which helps but isn't exactly needed. If you're struggling to get 20+, go to another settlement and enter workshop mode by holding the middle touchpad button. Hover over a 'settler' (a 'worker' might work too, not sure) then press square to send to your main settlement.

2. Have equal or more beds to the number of people in your settlement. Make them accessible to be able to walk around for settlers to sleep in. Not sure if that affects happiness but it's not hard to make room for some reassurance.

3. Food & Water. I used Sanctuary Hills so i had quite a few story characters there like Sturges, Jun Long etc. Use those named characters (not settlers) and assign them to food. If you didn't use Sanctuary Hills, you can still send companions to your settlement and assign them to food.

Note: When getting the lovable trophy, whoever your companion is you're doing it with will no longer be able to be assigned to things once you get 'Lovable' trophy. It might be different for you but that's what happened to me.

You might only need to assign 2 people to food as some other characters assign themselves to food duties like Preston Garvey did for me. Only assign them to one food and they should randomly assign themselves to their limit of food that they can do (i weirdly had trouble with assigning people to multiple foods). Try planting mutfruit as each plant gives one whole food whereas all other food only gives 0.5 to the food score. I got the trophy without using any mutfruit whatsoever so it's not too important. You'll need more or equal in food and water to the number of people you have in the settlement. I think water will be easy enough for most to figure out. Go into resources, water and then place down a bunch of pumps till the water number is higher than your people number.

3. Defence. Use only turrets as the guard posts take people to man them for defence which isn't what you want. The placement of turrets doesn't matter so don't worry about that, put them where ever you like. You'll need 140+ defence to be safe. That's 28 of the first 'machinegun turret'. If you can't afford that many with your resources and want the trophy asap, you can use the bottlecap/item glitch which is super easy to do and can be found on youtube. It may be cheating to some but many have done it to get this trophy so quickly so it's up to you.

4, Build 16+ level 3 clinics. Once again, the glitch stated above can help getting enough bottlecaps for this many clinics but isn't necessary and can be seen as cheating. This is the part that got me and had me confused for ages.. ONLY BUILD LEVEL 3 CLINICS. Weapons and armor stores only increase your cash flow, whereas clothing, bars and general stores do bring up the happiness but it just wasn't enough for me. I was hovering around 98-99 constantly for hours and hours. Once i traded out 4 of my stores for level 3 clinics, my happiness went up to 100. Assign only settlers to your clinics.

5. Size of your settlement must be 'large' like the trophy description says. When in the workshop, in the top right it'll say 'size' with a bar next to it. The bar needs to be yellow (not sure if the more full the bar is the better but it's worth it to be safe and go all out). If the bar is still the same colour as your hud then it is still too small. I chose one type of painting and threw it all over a house inside and out, overlapping each other and everything. It doesn't matter how good your settlement looks or if you have a pool table or neat houses etc. The trophy only cares about the number of items in the settlement.

I haven't mentioned this so i will now. Power doesn't matter either. You can have as much or little as you like. I had about 16 if you wanted to know. You will need some obviously for a radio tower to bring in settlers.

6. Don't leave the settlement. If you've done all the past steps correctly, you should be in the mid to high 90's of happiness. Place down a bell or siren and activate it. Go sleep for 24 hours. I did this multiple times for hours on end and i kept bouncing between 98-99. Once i took out my clothing, bars and general stores and replaced them with clinics, i went and slept for 24 hours and it immediately said 99 and going up. When it does that, just wait for 10-20 mins and it'll reach 100.

While doing the last step to get to 100, DO NOT leave the settlement at all, call the bell/siren a few times and sleep for 24 hours a few times. That's all i did and it worked, i don't see why it'd be different for others. Trust me, it might seem glitched but it more than likely isn't. It's just a prick of a trophy.
Once again, i'm not saying i know everything about this trophy but i can help if you have questions and i can answer with what worked for me.

I had, 22 people / 24 food / 42 water / 16 power / 143 defence / 31 beds / yellow 'size' bar almost maxed out.

Edited by Exalted-Risk

Well I had read about the happiness and clinic thing ahead of time. I made sure I had the perks for being able to build surgery centers and set up maybe 7-8 of them right away and assigned as many people to them I could get. I think by the end game I had 10 set up and my happiness creeped all the way to 94 without me actively going for it. 

I went back to sanctuary to see 94 with an up arrow. I slept until the arrow went away at 97. I built 2 surgery centers and assigned them and slept again. It goes to 99. I build one more surgery center and sleep and it hits 100 and the trophy pops.

So surgery centers are the way to go for sure. Just set up a bunch of cheap turrets get your defense to 100+, set up mutfruits and get your food to around 20, put a couple of the medium water purifiers or one industrial one and then put up surgery centers as you have the money for them, while you finish doing other stuff in the game. The settlement more than likely will stick somewhere around 92-94 without you being there, but once you're ready to sit there for a while go back and just sleep until it pops. If it stops moving up build a surgery center and assign it.

This is what I had when I got the trophy last night

16 level 3 clinics

24 food

160 water

240 defense

You have to have 16 clinics and people working for each clinic because if you use something different your happiness will not be high enough

Weapon and Armor dealers do not raise your happiness

You CAN NOT LEAVE the settlement or you happiness will go down

You have to have at least 17-20+ settlers for this trophy

You have to have the same or more amount of beds then there are settlers.

And i don't think rugs do anything with the happiness my friend used a ton or them and it didn't go up for him

Edited by demonoid321

That trophy is really pissing me off. I can't even get more than 12 people. I built radio beacons but still nobody shows up and happiness suddenly decreased to %40 from %77 for no reason at all. What should I do to make these peasants happy? Get them hooker and blackjack along with burbon? Those ungrateful dicks dont appreciate things I do for them. 
P.S what's that level 3 clinic you're talking about? Surgery? Do I have to build only this? I spent all my money on 1st one. Did I screw up?

That trophy is really pissing me off. I can't even get more than 12 people. I built radio beacons but still nobody shows up and happiness suddenly decreased to %40 from %77 for no reason at all. What should I do to make these peasants happy? Get them hooker and blackjack along with burbon? Those ungrateful dicks dont appreciate things I do for them.

P.S what's that level 3 clinic you're talking about? Surgery? Do I have to build only this? I spent all my money on 1st one. Did I screw up?

You have to have more carisma. The ammount of settlers you can have is 2x your carisma so if you have 10 carisma you can have 20 setters. If you have 6 carisma you can only have 12

You have to have more carisma. The ammount of settlers you can have is 2x your carisma so if you have 10 carisma you can have 20 setters. If you have 6 carisma you can only have 12

Are you leaving your settlement? If you leave then your happiness will decrease

Are you leaving your settlement? If you leave then your happiness will decrease

Thanks for the info, I didn't know it however my charisma is 7 but still I cant attrach more settlers.

Do you know how many settler is optimum to have reach happiness? 

Hi guys, my trophy popped last night. My stats were People = 21, Food = 26, Water = 21, Power = 9, Defense = 94 and Beds = 22. I had around 11 of the Tier 3 clinics and the rest were Tier 1 + 2 clinics. Also, my happiness was going up normally while I was away from Sanctuary. I think this was due to scrapping all the TVs in the houses as I read somewhere that this is the cause of the glitch of happiness randomly going down while away. Also when I reached 98 happiness I travelled to Sanctuary and the arrow was red pointing down and I couldn't figure out what was wrong. Turned out that all the workers weren't assigned to the clinics anymore for some reason so I had to reassign them and the happiness started going up again. Also another tip is place paintings and decorations everywhere. This not only increases the size of the settlement but seems to help with happiness. 

Hi guys, my trophy popped last night. My stats were People = 21, Food = 26, Water = 21, Power = 9, Defense = 94 and Beds = 22. I had around 11 of the Tier 3 clinics and the rest were Tier 1 + 2 clinics. Also, my happiness was going up normally while I was away from Sanctuary. I think this was due to scrapping all the TVs in the houses as I read somewhere that this is the cause of the glitch of happiness randomly going down while away. Also when I reached 98 happiness I travelled to Sanctuary and the arrow was red pointing down and I couldn't figure out what was wrong. Turned out that all the workers weren't assigned to the clinics anymore for some reason so I had to reassign them and the happiness started going up again. Also another tip is place paintings and decorations everywhere. This not only increases the size of the settlement but seems to help with happiness. 

so building them is not enough you also make them work on these clinics, right?

so what was other 10 settler were doing? and how did you manage to get 21 people?

Thanks for the info, I didn't know it however my charisma is 7 but still I cant attrach more settlers.

Do you know how many settler is optimum to have reach happiness? 

Try going to different settlements you have ailed with and use the workshop. Once you do that go up to them and it should have an option (for some not all) to move them to a different settlement and move them to the one your working on for the trophy. You can also find clothing that will increase your charisma if you don't feel like using your level up skill point to add to the charisma. I only had 7 and I found clothing that brought it to 12. 

Also try building radio recruitment beacons at all your settlements. These will attracted more settlers to the settlements that you can then send to your settlement your working on.

And for anyone who is wondering power & defense doesn't do anything with happiness only food, water, beds, and stores.

Edited by demonoid321

Having so much fun stuck on 99!

Never Mind. Just picked up a Mutfruit tree from the ground and got to 100.

I can only deduce that someone really hated that tree.

If you plant too much food like mutfruits trees or other food related stuff and nobody are assigned to it you might have trouble reaching 100% happiness.

I had played anything between 48 and 72 hours before I tried achieving this trophy.

It's not the type of trophy you can *just* achieve overtime without actually doing an effort.

I had chosen for Sanctuary as my primary hub, but there are a few other locations possible, but they need to be actually big.

I had 24 settlers, including those few residents that stuck around after meeting with Preston.

That "mama" character with her "sight" was the only one I couldn't assign to do anything.

I don't know if that's a glitch or just how she rolls.

I disbanded all my supply lines from Sanctuary so I could assign everyone to a job.

Because I had 23 settlers and 1 useless "mama", I had about 5 people assigned to food production (those trees that give 1 food each)

All my other settlers were assigned to a level 3 shop, but not just any shop. If you select a shop, they clearly state if the shop increases happiness or not. I think they were doctors, bars and general traders.

My defenses were arround 200, my water as well, my food arround 29.

I don't know in what manner certain objects improve your happiness, but let me say that I have seen my fair share of catportraits :P

I had fences arround the area, put walls close to broken walls to "repair" them, so I don't really know what impact this had on my happiness.

If you plant too much food like mutfruits trees or other food related stuff and nobody are assigned to it you might have trouble reaching 100% happiness.

I think it's more a question if you have enough food for everyone.

I had 29 food for 24 settlers, but I had like 40 trees, those trees just like nice :)

I have lots of those everywhere. I'm at the point where I really like how my settlement looks, I've put a lot of time into it because I'm having so much fun with it. I'm probably just gonna make a separate save and build a bunch of nonsense to get to 100 and then reload. It's so dumb.

I don't know how much decorations count for the trophy, but I had to deconstruct a lot to obtain this trophy.

I tried to surround the entire domain I was using by walls, which used a lot of space, space I needed for clinics and stuff and more turrets, ...

So yeah, it's not that great obtaining that trophy :P

This trophy is pissing me off and it's the last one I need.  My happiness is at 97 with a DOWN arrow.  I have my place littered with good stuff, including the 16 level three shops, which are all being manned.  I've stayed here and slept, rang the bell, talked to settlers.  Their beds are all under roofs and behind doors.

People: 21

Food: 23

Water: 27

Power: 28

Defense: 142

Beds: 21

WTF!?!?!

This trophy is pissing me off and it's the last one I need.  My happiness is at 97 with a DOWN arrow.  I have my place littered with good stuff, including the 16 level three shops, which are all being manned.  I've stayed here and slept, rang the bell, talked to settlers.  Their beds are all under roofs and behind doors.

People: 21

Food: 23

Water: 27

Power: 28

Defense: 142

Beds: 21

WTF!?!?!

Do you mind telling me what is this bell you're talking about? and what does it do?

I actually think you can plant too much food because I was stuck on 98-99% happiness and had alot of trees around with settlers assigned to maybe half of them (other half of trees looked like they had died) but happiness just wouldnt move ..... As soon as I removed unassigned trees it went up and trophy popped so IMO dont plant more than you need.

Do you mind telling me what is this bell you're talking about? and what does it do?

Look under resources> miscellaneous ..... You use the bell to gather all settlers.

• Like 1

I aquired this with 18 people in Sanctuary, including (5?) named NPC's. (the exception, Mama Murphy, if shes in the chair, she's useless.)

Put Everyone in LvL 3 Clinics. Food does NOT matter. Mass amounts of decoration do NOT matter.

Build meter Yellow. Put ALL beds in the same building.

10am - Ring Bell, stand around till they dispurse, sit and wait till 11pm.

Find a bed to sleep in, in the same building as everyone else. Sleep till 10am. Repeat until 100%.

Took a couple hours after building.

• Like 1

Hey, just achieved the trophy so here my info:

Settlement: Sanctuary Hills
People: 16
Food: 18
Water: 80 (This settlement and The Castle are my main water supply stations via supply lines)
Power: ~60
Defense: >100
Beds: 20

Of those 16 peeps, three where working for food. One was on a supply line, the rest working in clinics. As long as all stats where in good standing, happiness was going up. I could even leave the settlement without a problem.

At one point, i got a warning sign next to Sanctuary Hills in my Pip-Boy and the happiness was going down (red arrow). The reason for that was easy: I got a quest for a settler in Sanctuary! So i talked to the settler, rescued his <enter random person here> from <enter random location here> and talked to him again, tl:dr: finished the quest. Voila: Happiness was going up again!

So if you ever get a warning sign in your workshop overview for no obvious reason, most likely one of it's settlers needs your help.

Some random facts: Size bar was about 2/3 filled, a had some decoration, beds in different buildings and a self build tower at max height (which is 6 metal walls on top of eachother :[ )

Has someone tested if it is possible to supply the settlements need in food via supply lines and assign 100% of the settlers to clinics? Could speed the process up!

• Like 1