Settlement Improvements / Benevolent Leader

fbdbh

On 1/13/2016 at 7:46 PM, jacob8151996 said:

By far the simplest way to achieve the trophy, this method will outline how to achieve Benevolent Leader with only one settler and as early as level 14. This method is confirmed to work at the Red Rocket and in Hangman’s Alley. It is rumored that once you set it up, you can play the game normally and the happiness will continue to increase without even being there, but I cannot confirm that.   What you will need:

• Local Leader (lvl. 2) -- unlocked at level 14
  • Enough supplies to construct 2 sleeping bags
  • Enough supplies to construct 1-2 turrets
  • Enough supplies to construct a level 2 bar
  • 20 Purified Water
  • 20 Mutfruit (The edible fruit; not the plant)
  • Plenty of wood or cloth (see steps below for explanation)
  • A side activity if planning to wait it out

During this your workshop interface should read: People:1 Food:0 Water:0 Power:0 Defense:5-15 Beds:2 Happiness:xx% Size:[Full/Yellow]   The following steps must be done in order for it to work properly as I cannot confirm if it works with them out of order:

1. Choose a settlement that has not been touched by you for purposes of ensuring that the current population is 0. It must have 0 people in it while you are setting it up! Avoid settlements that have named characters -- reiterating the idea of choosing an empty location. DO NOT SET ANY SUPPLY LINES TO THE LOCATION. MANUALLY BRING ALL YOUR MATERIALS.
    1. Red Rocket and Hangman’s Alley are confirmed to work!
  2. Go to the settlement and scrap any junk (cinderblocks, ruined houses, trees, etc.). This will help you get some of the needed resources while also making the place more aesthetically pleasing.
  3. Put 20 Purified Water and 20 Mutfruit in the workshop. Since you are not growing food or producing water, you must provide enough for them to live. The Settler will take from the workshop when they are hungry/thirsty thus removing the need for food or water production. They should only use about 10 of each, but you are providing 20 just to be safe. If you are low on these you can reduce the amount you put in there, since they will likely only use about 10 -- better to be safe than sorry!
  4. Place only 1 sleeping bag in an enclosed area (Red Rocket’s Garage, Hangman’s shacks)
  5. Place a turret in a location of your choice. Only 1 is needed for this, but it’s advised to place a few just to be sure. Three turrets should be more than enough.
  6. Construct a level 2 bar in an accessible location.
  7. Now, you must fill up the size bar in the upper right corner until it turns yellow. When it turns yellow the settlement will now be classified as large -- making up for the fact that you only have 1 settler. You have the option of needing wood or cloth for a distinct reason. You may stack endless boxes on top of each other to fill that bar, but you can also place decorations everywhere. Decorations will increase the speed at which the settlement becomes happy. I would highly recommend filling the bar to the max will decorations to speed up the process, and it should be noted that flags can be placed on top of eachother, so just pick a wall and spam X.
  8. Go to another settlement and find a person with the title “Settler” and move them to the location you are obtaining the trophy. Do not use anyone with a title except settler as it will interfere.
  9. Go back to the settlement you just sent your new settler and assign them to the level 2 bar. If they are not there yet it is likely that they are still traveling so you may need to sleep a few hours until they arrive. You may construct a bell to help locate them, but it is not necessary.
  10. Construct another sleeping bag in an enclosed area -- this one will be yours and must be done last.

You’re all set up, which begins the waiting game: Sleep 12-24 hours (Making sure to wake up during the day) and immediately open the workshop interface. Sit there until happiness increases and repeat. Happiness will increase about every 10 minutes, so feel free to set a timer on your phone and go about with your daily business.   It is rumored to work even if you are not there, but I cannot confirm that as that is not what I did, so please wait to be sure.  

@Hazanberg @omegarevan @spazza136@NCSFan001

Is it possible to get this added to the guide? 

I was:

-Level 14

-Took about 20 minutes

-Only did 1 sleeping bag and I only had enough for 1 turret

-Then I went about doing quests.  I was sorting through junk at Home Plate in Diamond City when the trophy popped. 

It turns the trophy into a 20-30 minute time sink and it's extremely easy. 

BTW I just wanted to add that the guide is excellent.  You guys put a ton of work in and probably don't get thanked much. 

21 hours ago, big_bob002 said:

@Hazanberg @omegarevan @spazza136@NCSFan001

Is it possible to get this added to the guide? 

I was:

-Level 14

-Took about 20 minutes

-Only did 1 sleeping bag and I only had enough for 1 turret

-Then I went about doing quests.  I was sorting through junk at Home Plate in Diamond City when the trophy popped. 

It turns the trophy into a 20-30 minute time sink and it's extremely easy. 

BTW I just wanted to add that the guide is excellent.  You guys put a ton of work in and probably don't get thanked much. 

@jacob8151996 Hey guys, just read the tip and decided to put it into the guide. I personally haven't played the game in a while but it looks like multiple people have confirmed it works so that's good enough for me. Thanks for taking interest in the guide, we were actually runners up in the guide of the year awards which was fantastic but it's great to know people are still using the guide since then and continuing to come up with improvements that we may have missed. Thanks again and enjoy ☺️

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Throwing my two cents in for how I got the benevolent leader trophy. I used the red rocket truck stop (the red gas station) just outside of Sanctuary Hills and where you meet and get Dogmeat as your companion. 

What I did was get around 6 settlers (In my case 5 generic and trader Rylee, a junkyard dog, and dogmeat). Make sure they're at least not humanoid companions or robots (i.e. piper, codsworth, Deacon ,that super mutant, or the robots from the automatron DLC that you craft.) as they'll mess with the happiness meter negatively. Make sure you assign 1 settler too six mutfruit trees (as I tree is worth at least one food unit) and 5 others to lvl 3 clinic shops (they're called Surgery centers and they're the last ones on the right after you unlock the leader perk 2 and have over 1800 caps for one.) 

Now, place spam water pumps (6+ water units), place 7 beds, one chair, and one bell, a lot of machine gun turrets (60+ defense at least) and a shit ton of decorations (unconfirmed but it seems that paintings of animals, light sources, and equipment benches seem to increase happiness) until you get a yellow bar. Now, you should have at least 70-90 happiness after resting regularly at the bed (note, you must be present in the settlement for th happiness to go along more). 

Also, a little trick for the bell; 1st ring it, then rest in a bed for one hour, then walk around your settlers for at least a minute, then fast travel to your settlement you're in, then rest for 48 hours, then wait 3-5 minutes in a chair. Repeat until you get 100% (notes, you can adjust your settlement as you please to get 100%).