Now that Telltale's GOT has ended, what're your thoughts?

Azaan60

Amazing game as expected from TellTale. I loved that by episode 6, your choices really do matter and can end the game in several different ways, unlike previous TT games. I was basically a jerk to everyone in this game as I always am in these types of games fufufufufufu...

I'm glad you were able to enjoy it but ... really? Worst telltale games yet imo. Choosing which brother stays behind is the ONLY choice that affects anything in this game. One. In six episodes and 12+ hours.

I'm glad you were able to enjoy it but ... really? Worst telltale games yet imo. Choosing which brother stays behind is the ONLY choice that affects anything in this game. One. In six episodes and 12+ hours.

I thought choosing a sentinel for the entire series (and thus deciding the traitor), choosing which of the multiple people Gared could have killed during his journey, and deciding Mira's fate were pretty big choices in this game.  I thought they were as big if not bigger than any of the important choices you make in Walking Dead or Wolf Among Us.  

I thought choosing a sentinel for the entire series (and thus deciding the traitor), choosing which of the multiple people Gared could have killed during his journey, and deciding Mira's fate were pretty big choices in this game. I thought they were as big if not bigger than any of the important choices you make in Walking Dead or Wolf Among Us.

Choosing a sentinel made a nonsensical traitor for no discernable reason. Even if you spare the people they end up dead anyway. I feel the same will happen to Mira within 30 minutes of the second season. It's telltale's way. Mira was the epitome of useless storyline. Oh ... so bad.

I thought choosing a sentinel for the entire series (and thus deciding the traitor), choosing which of the multiple people Gared could have killed during his journey, and deciding Mira's fate were pretty big choices in this game. I thought they were as big if not bigger than any of the important choices you make in Walking Dead or Wolf Among Us.

Choosing a sentinel made a nonsensical traitor for no discernable reason. Even if you spare the people they end up dead anyway. I feel the same will happen to Mira within 30 minutes of the second season. It's telltale's way. Mira was the epitome of useless storyline. Oh ... so bad.

Bit late here, but I just finished the episode. I'm surprised that so many people disliked the game, and are so critical of the choices not completely changing the story. The Walking Dead choices made very little impact in the ending of the storyline, same for The Wolf Among Us, and I haven't finished Tales yet. Season 2 of TWD had nearly the same story throughout, it looks like the choices matter in it for the ending (But only the few choices at the end, the rest doesn't matter), giving a lot of different endings.

I loved the game overall, it definitely felt like a GoT game in the final couple of episodes. The pacing wasn't consistent, and some episodes had better high points than others, but the impact of the finale was devastating and so familiar to tv viewers.

Gared's sections were definitely the weakest, his final episode storyline was interesting, and pretty disturbing, but up to then, it felt to rushed at times, and too slow. He was the first POV we had, and was very relatable at the start, his actions felt very forced throughout, but the choices at the end were more disturbing for this.

I loved Ethans section and the cruel unpredictability of Ramsay Snow's presence. Mira's sections were so lovable, most tv viewers probably love Kings landing, Margery, Tyrion, Cersei and The Game of Thrones as much as me, so the Mira sections stood out as iconic. Her finale episode, and ending felt very Game of Thrones like. I finished the episode with her betrothed, still having the influence of Cersei and Margery. I really loved the bitch Mira that showed up in the last three episodes.

I liked Asher and Roderick's sections a lot, Roderick's really showed the weakness and struggle of the house, some of the best sections in the game, when other times it felt weaker, and forced. Ashers were also great, loved him and Beska. I am really looking forward to season 2 now, I liked this game more than The Wolf Among Us.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished the game. Can't believe they made that ''ending'' with a lot of cliffhangers just for us to wait for Season 2.

Every decision was bad. I know it's Game of Thrones, but still, we should be able to control at least some of the situations.

And what the hell is the North Grove anyway?!

• 1 month later...

Well my final thoughts are pretty mixed. The first episode had a few good points but overall felt a bit boring, still I pushed ahead and was happily surprised to find myself hooked in episodes 2-4. But then episode 5 came along and that episode was just a trainwreck in my eyes. 

First the entire Glenmore guard vanishing into thin air off regardless of whether you brought them to Highpoint or not, bringing Ramsay Snow back was a poor decision in my opinion as if you're familiar with the snow you know he'll live so right off the bat you're aware you're not getting any kind of closure with him. Then there's the scene with Tyrion which doesn't seem to progress the story in any way and no matter what he'll figure out Cersei sent you. Followed by that you have a very brief section with Gared where Finn suffers a pointless death having made zero contribution to anything since leaving the wall, his character got a treatment on par with Nick in TWD Season 2. Finally the traitor subplot comes to its awful conclusion in which the identity of the traitor coming down to 'You didn't give me the fancy glove four episodes ago as a different character!' while they criticize you for every decision you made even if you were siding with them in those decisions. They should have made the traitor was always one individual (and thus your sentinel could have been the traitor the entire time) or let it relate to the various minor decisions they have a go at you over even if you followed their advice. Finally the ending. While I do think having to choose between Rodrik and Asher was a good and difficult choice to make it was poorly executed because even if Rodrik spared the traitor and found out about the ambush he still walks directly into the trap with no sense of urgency, hell even Asher seems to notice something is up as they sail in but does nothing. The idea of one brother having to sacrifice themselves to save the other was good  but in the end it came off as the death being a result of their own stupidity.

I wasn't particularly looking forward to episode 6 after that but it did manage to redeem itself to an extent in my eyes. Gared's story finally went somewhere but as the game itself is quick to point out in the ending it happens too late for House Forrester, in the beginning Gared's story  the one I was most interested in but it ends up just feeling disconnected to the overall plot. Mira's story I was actually really happy with how it all came together and the final decision was a real tough one, in the first episode I wrote off Mira as boring but in the end I really feel like it captured the side of GOT that deals with political mischief deceit and manipulation, even if it too felt a bit disconnected from the main plot. I was playing Asher for the finale but based on what I've read the events play out really differently based on which brother lives which is a good thing as far as I'm concerned, my thoughts on their stories was that played a good contrast to each other and were part of what made episodes 2-4 make up for the slower episode 1. I ended up trying to make peace by marrying Gwyn but I was really pissed off when the mom suddenly fucks it up by attacking Lord Whitehill, did not even care when that soldier killed her. In the end I just don't feel the Whitehill and North Grove storylines had a satisfying conclusion but Mira's (if you do conclude it) did.

Brief mention to Ethan seeing as I mentioned my thoughts on everyone elses story, he seemed like a bit of an annoying twerp to begin with but then just when he's really starting to fill the shoes of a lord and impress me he gets killed by Ramsay and I think it was actually a very effective and shocking twist ending to episode 1.

Overall I think the major problem of the season was that they were making it with the express intent of their being a season two which is especially apparent for Gared's storyline, very little closure is achieved in the end.  I recognize that is normal for Game of Thrones which has stories  arcing over from the very beginning of the television series coming up to 6 seasons later but for a game I feel you really need to at least wrap up the immediate storylines and then you can leave a little sequel hook at the end. This was just all sequel hook. There was likely gonna be a Game of Thrones: Season Two regardless of how well it did. And honestly I'm not sure how well Telltale can pull off a sequel for it, the only sequel we'e seen them do so far was for The Walking Dead which ended roughly the same no matter what but this game has a lot of different possible ending combinations and I don't know they'll be able to reconcile them all in a satisfying manner.

Sorry that this kind of comes off as something of a long winded rant but my feelings toward this game fluctuated so wildly throughout that I just felt I had to share it.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Terrible game. I would liken it to a series of kicks in the nuts. Choices are pointless. The traitor story was especially bad. This is the worst Telltale game I've played. The only plus I can find is that the characters you played were likable enough. But I have zero interest in seeing how the unresolved plotlines continue in a season 2.

One thing that might (MIGHT) help to fix this is to distance the game from the series. Some of the "choices" sre just stupid (am I really going to slit Ramsey Snow's throat? Of course not). But this game was a trainwreck after the decent opening episode.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 3

In my honest opinion, GoT was one their weaker games. I've never shown interest in the show or the book series, so my knowledge of the lore is minimal at best and the game itself didn't appeal to me. The PS3 version in particular runs like garbage every time a big fight scene happens. I will at the very say that it isn't as bad the Jurassic Park game from a couple years back.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I just played through the game again, first time since it ended in 2015. I love it even more now, the characters are so well written and the choices are so hard which makes the game even more fun. I left Rodrik to die even though I liked him more as a character than Asher purely because it was something I know he would have done. Asher would to but it just screams Rodrik. Cannot wait for season 2 :D