Ferrari Racing Legends General Discussion

Parker

Anyone else have this game? Probably not because this had to have been the worst advertised game of all time (no one I contacted knew when it was going to be released, and the GameStop I went to only received one copy and that was because I pre-ordered it) but it is actually extremely fun.

The game has been in development for quite a few years but it has changed hands quite a few times and ended up in the hands of Slightly Mad Studios, the brains behind the Need for Speed: Shift series and it certainly shows. The physics engine is pretty much a carbon copy of the original Shift (I think it was released after Shift 2: Unleashed purely because of licensing issues with Ferrari regarding the PS3) but it has a few tweaks here and there so don't expect a full on simulation. It isn't super arcadey but it isn't at the Gran Turismo or Forza level either.

I'm very happy with my purchase and hopefully over the next few weeks more people buy the game so the online will have some racers. For those that care, the trophy list is very easy and it doesn't appear to have any online trophies either. There are some trophies that say "Reach the rank of Pro" and so on, but I think those are unlocked through the campaign because as I said the online is dead and people already have the platinum.

Anyway, for those that have it what do you think?

Parker

99.9% of the time I agree with Parker and respect his opinion. With that being said I disagree with his statement. I followed this game and purchased it with the expectation of quality on the lines of Shift 1 or 2. To me Slightly Mad gave this game to their "B" team while they focused on another project. I love the career mode and how they broke it into the 3 different eras along with the graphics to emphasize the time period. After that shit rolls down hill quickly. Two things that I demand in any racing game I play is draw distance and sense of speed an FTDL fails on both. Shift 1 beats the living heck out of this game as it seems to me the team was focused on....I really don't know. I hate to write this, it pains me to do so but it's not a $50 game. When it drops to $15 take a chance on it so you won't be as disappointed in it as I was.

99.9% of the time I agree with Parker and respect his opinion. With that being said I disagree with his statement. I followed this game and purchased it with the expectation of quality on the lines of Shift 1 or 2. To me Slightly Mad gave this game to their "B" team while they focused on another project. I love the career mode and how they broke it into the 3 different eras along with the graphics to emphasize the time period. After that shit rolls down hill quickly. Two things that I demand in any racing game I play is draw distance and sense of speed an FTDL fails on both. Shift 1 beats the living heck out of this game as it seems to me the team was focused on....I really don't know. I hate to write this, it pains me to do so but it's not a $50 game. When it drops to $15 take a chance on it so you won't be as disappointed in it as I was.

I agree with most of your points as well, but I still stand by mine. This is certainly not a triple A title and it leaves a lot to be desired. I kind of knew that heading into the game though so I wasn't expecting something other than what we got for the final product.

I also think that a $15 or $20 price tag would be much sweeter than the $50 they're asking now, but I have personally had a lot of fun with the title and I'm about halfway through the Silver Era and I'm still having fun. There is a lot to be desired from the game but if you don't go in expecting a really high quality racer I think you will be able to get some enjoyment out of it. The only glaring flaws that I feel are apparent are the sticky cars and walls. Everytime an A.I. car hits you (which unfortunately happens more than it should, the AI leaves a lot to be desired as well) you get stuck together and either spin out or lose tons of time. The same thing happens with walls. If you take a turn to fast and understeer into a wall you don't just hit it and move on, you kind of get stuck to it for a little while until you pretty much stop or there is a turn. Both those flaws were in Shift 1 and 2 as well, so I suppose it was to be expected of this title too.

Anyways, if you can rent this and you're a fan of racing games, the Shift series in particular, then I would suggest it. It's a pretty nice break from the usual racing games and if you can look past the glaring flaws it's a decent racer.

Parker

• 2 months later...

I've recently came back to this game and played the campaign a little more. Unfortunately the more modern the cars get, the worse they handle. I was loving the Golden and Silver era cars but the game is really sucking the fun out of the newer ones. To make it even worse I can't find a single online lobby so I can't even race the wonderful older cars against anyone but the A.I.

Parker

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 19.8.2015 at 5:59 PM, racingtoyota said:

A little late.. But is this a nice race game? I love racing games and I am pretty good at it.. And is it an easy platinum?

Here's the late Answer. :D No...this Game is solala. Driving the classic Ferraris brings a lot of Fun and it looks really nice. But the Gameplay is boring. The Game is easy, but you have to drive many Races. I think more than in GT5?! And nearly every of them are about 10 Minuten long. Platinum, for sure. But for what Price? If you are very patiently and have a lot of Time, this is your Game. :awesome: I bought it after reading Parkers (old) Post. And it's OK for me. A Racing Game with no Highlight's. All Trophy's are offline so you can take your Time.