Is this worth a go?

Dan_WatsonAU

So this is one of the few creed games I haven't played over the years. I remember it not being very highly thought of when it was released is it really that bad?
On a Scale of Unity being 1 and Syndicate being 10 where would you put this game? 
Im not bothered about plating it or anything, just something to play as I doubt I will buy a new game between now and Far Cry in February.  

I haven't played the PS4 AC games but have 100% the rest and I would say yes. It's the most wide open and most involved game in the series. Ubi definitely spent the most money on this one. It doesn't play like the Ezio games as it has more depth in every aspect.

- Gamers knock it bc its time consuming. There's a bigger map, especially the Frontier, and you have to explore to uncover it in depth. you can literally spend hours just revealing the map and there's a good couple hours of running through city tunnels just to unlock the fast pass destinations.

- Other gamers have a real problem with Connor. I'm not sure quite why, I think most just miss Ezio after his three-game run.

- Another gripe is the tutorial start. You have to put in a good couple hours of tutorial missions before Ubi finally takes the training wheels off and lets you run loose in the open-world. That turned off a lot of gamers.

Personally, it's one of my favorites in the series. The factual American History they spin into their Assassin tale is quite entertaining, especially how the portray some of the true life characters (FYI - Charles Lee really was a shitbrick). The missions are more diverse, it starts the naval battle missions in the series, and the story keeps up with the missions.

The platinum is grinding as you have to 100% complete the game, and that requires running around and picking up lots of collectibles and hunting for all types of animals. If you're not a completionist, you should totally give it a go.

• Like 4

This game is a 1. Probably the worst AC game in the series IMO. Shitty protagonist, shitty gameplay, shitty story, shitty ending, it's a pain in the ass to platnium and it's very glitchy. Only things I liked were it being set during the American Revolution and it looking pretty.

• Like 1

I say go for it. I fucking love AC3 - it's by far my favorite title in the series. The intro sequence is pretty long though, so you need quite a bit of patience before obtaining the Assassin outfit, but the introduction does an excellent job setting in motion the events that push the game forward.

Part of the reason I love this game is my obsession with the American Revolution. It does a fantastic job conveying the way American society was during the conlict, with the propaganda speeches, Redcoats bullying citizens, marching soldiers, etc.

• Like 3

3(and Liberation) were loads of fun, in my opinion. Most fun I'd had with the series since Brotherhood(didn't care much for Revelations). Ending's kind of a bummer, but that doesn't stop it from being a great game. Can't comment on how much better or worse is it to the PS4 entries, as I haven't played them.

• Like 1

3(and Liberation) were loads of fun, in my opinion. Most fun I'd had with the series since Brotherhood(didn't care much for Revelations). Ending's kind of a bummer, but that doesn't stop it from being a great game. Can't comment on how much better or worse is it to the PS4 entries, as I haven't played them.

Was that the PS3 or the vita version of liberation? I played the vita version and it was utter garbage.

3 Seems to be getting ok reviews in this thread.

I never really understand when people ask this question.  If you like the AC series, then why not?  If you don't care for AC games, then why consider playing them in the first place.

As far as how does AC3 compare to others, it's somewhere in the middle.  AC was revolutionary, but repetitive.  They fixed that in 2, and it was amazing, the best of the series.  Brotherhood was almost as good as 2, but didn't have that sharply tuned feel that 2 had.  Revelations was lacking compared to both.  3 was lacking compared to all of those.  Were any of them terrible?  No.  People talk about the game getting stale, and that's kinda fair.  Not that much has changed, but if you enjoyed other AC games, you'd probably enjoy 3.  For me, Black Flag was the worst of the series (still a decent game though).  To me, AC is about the story, about assassins vs templars, about the 'ones who came before', about the lineage, the history, the future, the past, the world hidden from most people, the way everything relates from one game to the next.  Most people I know who liked Black Flag didn't care about the story and just wanted to play pirates.  That's fine, as Black Flag was a great pirate game, but it was a fairly mediocre AC game.  So if you're like me and love AC for all it offers, then play 3 and you'll enjoy it, though it will most likely not be your favorite.  However if you play AC games simply to stealth kill people and giggle while you hide in hay barrels, chances are you will get bored of 3 very quickly.  The only real gripe I had was the scale.  3 is massive, but the colonies were tiny and spread out and buildings were barely bigger than your average size house.  It made me miss 15th century Italy simply because it looked tiny and pathetic in comparison.  But other than that, it really wasn't as bad as most people say.

I never really understand when people ask this question.  If you like the AC series, then why not?  If you don't care for AC games, then why consider playing them in the first place.

As far as how does AC3 compare to others, it's somewhere in the middle.  AC was revolutionary, but repetitive.  They fixed that in 2, and it was amazing, the best of the series.  Brotherhood was almost as good as 2, but didn't have that sharply tuned feel that 2 had.  Revelations was lacking compared to both.  3 was lacking compared to all of those.  Were any of them terrible?  No.  People talk about the game getting stale, and that's kinda fair.  Not that much has changed, but if you enjoyed other AC games, you'd probably enjoy 3.  For me, Black Flag was the worst of the series (still a decent game though).  To me, AC is about the story, about assassins vs templars, about the 'ones who came before', about the lineage, the history, the future, the past, the world hidden from most people, the way everything relates from one game to the next.  Most people I know who liked Black Flag didn't care about the story and just wanted to play pirates.  That's fine, as Black Flag was a great pirate game, but it was a fairly mediocre AC game.  So if you're like me and love AC for all it offers, then play 3 and you'll enjoy it, though it will most likely not be your favorite.  However if you play AC games simply to stealth kill people and giggle while you hide in hay barrels, chances are you will get bored of 3 very quickly.  The only real gripe I had was the scale.  3 is massive, but the colonies were tiny and spread out and buildings were barely bigger than your average size house.  It made me miss 15th century Italy simply because it looked tiny and pathetic in comparison.  But other than that, it really wasn't as bad as most people say.

I though I had made it clear. I've played most of the games but not this one, I remember it wasn't reviewed that well at the time and wanted to hear some people's opinions on the game.

I though I had made it clear. I've played most of the games but not this one, I remember it wasn't reviewed that well at the time and wanted to hear some people's opinions on the game.

I recall most publications giving the game at least an 8. The lowest score I saw was a 5/10, but nothing below that.

I still have to finish three of the main game trophies and 4 of the multiplayer trophies, but III had my favorite "Oh, shit!" plot twists of the AC's that I've played. If you played all the rest of the AC games and you liked them, there is *nothing* so unique about this game that it should be a turn off. Find it for a good price and give it a shot.

• Like 1

First i thought it was about AC II which is a must-play in the series definetly.

About AC III is likely to worst i've played along with AC I , boring story, dragged campaign , weak protagonist . However i liked the sidequests,  hunting and exploring the forest  besides that it has nothing to hold my atention .

I agree with Damon, just give it a go and form your own opinion. It isn't the best game you will ever play but it is far from the worst. Personally i thought it was brilliant, it changes up the same old same old thing they had going on and gives you something fresh, new characters etc which people seem to dislike for no apparent reason. Definitely give it a go.

• Like 1

Yeah you were clear, and I just gave you my opinion towards 3 compared to the others, in case our viewpoints were similar.  If you only mean my first sentence, then yeah, I see that a lot, people say they like 'X', 'Y' and 'Z' games in a series, but don't want to play '____' for some reason or another.  I find that if I like more than one game in a series, I'm more likely to enjoy all the others as well, and even if they aren't great, they're still better than many alternatives outside of the series itself.  So yeah, I never understand that question when it's asked, cause to me if you're already a fan of the series, then I see no reason not to play a game, especially if the only thing stopping you is a few so-so reviews.

Yes ACIII is worth a go if you are a fan of the series. If nothing else than for the ending. It pretty much changes everything.

(although I'm not sure if I'd label Syndicate as a 10 lol.)

Mechanics-wise ACIII is the game that started the smoother actions. Far faster assassinations than the Ezio games and I think it might be even smoother than Unity and Syndicate because those games seem to take their sweet time with a mini-sequence. 

Weapons-wise I love the game for it. Syndicate by far has my least favorite weapons selection even though I understand the need for the "less flashy".

Map-wise this game is huge. Lots of exploration and many things to do. Since it doesn't all take place in one city like Unity/Syndicate it feels less clusterfucked. 

Story...I have a slight problem with it. Won't go into detail though. I did find it far more enjoyable than Unity's love-fest.

Characters aren't bad but not my favorite cast. 

The only downfall is the naval aspect...ACIII was really bad here and if you've played Black Flag first this part of the game will be hard.

• Like 1

I say definitely give it a try. Its a 50/50 that you'll either like or hate it.

I personally view it as the worst entry to the series, however it does do few things right. The things I hate about it are mostly come from techniqual standpoints. For starters the game on MULTIPLE times had NPC appear out of thin air less than 10 feet in front of me, buildings that looked horribly rendered, and various other bugs like the 100% sync glitch that was never patched.

Also the two main cities i thought were extremely dull. You end up seeing copy/paste of the same building dozens of times. Not nearly enough "unique" buildings. But.. We can't blame Ubisoft for that. Boston and New York were roughly 100 years old at the time. Whereas all other AC games took place in cities triple the age.

The story itself is a roller coaster (so is Conners emotions) . It has a incredibly slow start but picks up midgame then drops again near the end. Conner is like a girl going through menopause so I couldn't like him due to his crybaby behavior.

Edited by MafiaBrett
  • Like 2

I would say yes especially if you have played the others, i'm a big creed fan and although this is not my favourite it was defo worth playing. It's got merits and it's got flaws and as mentioned the naval part of it is lackluster something that got better with black flag and rogue. Give it a bash, hope you enjoy it

PS3. Felt like AC3-lite to me, as it's pretty short. I don't know how much it differs from the Vita version, though.

There was a few puzzles that required you to tilt the vita to move some balls around. Firstly it was a shit idea but it was badly implemented as well and the reaction from tilting the vita seemed to change halfway through for no reason. Was so frustrating.