Dead or Alive Extreme not getting Localized because of SJW?

Kishnabe

So here's KT's official announcement, for what its worth.

https://twitter.com/koeitecmoeurope/status/671690313912598528

Lmao someone actually asked if Australia is part of Asia. Uh no, it's part of Oceania.

Again, i still maintain this is a ploy using phony outrage in order to push sales.

• Like 1

My god this thread...

Ok... here we go:

This game has not been bannedcensored, or edited in any way. It is releasing in the East just the way the devs and pubs intended. 

However, from their own statements, they have decided not to release in the West because: ""Do you know many issues happening in video game industry with regard to how to treat female in video game industry? We do not want to talk those things here. But certainly we have gone through in last year or two to come to our decision. Thank you."

So, what has actually happened is that the publishers have decided they would rather not have the conversation and backlash about the portrayal of women in their video-game. They haven't quite spelled it out, but, there doesn't seem to be any reasonable conclusion other than that they want to avoid pressure from the types of people who have been convinced by Feminist Frequency. (Unless someone wants to point me at another potential reason they might have made those comments?) 

They did not mention low-sales expectations in the West, etc. While these may be relevant factors, discussing them here is speculative unless you can point to a source from the company. 

Conclusions?

Well, take the company at its word. That's the only source you've got to go on AFAIK. It appears to want to avoid negative publicity.

• Like 1

My god this thread...

Ok... here we go:

This game has not been bannedcensored, or edited in any way. It is releasing in the East just the way the devs and pubs intended. 

However, from their own statements, they have decided not to release in the West because: ""Do you know many issues happening in video game industry with regard to how to treat female in video game industry? We do not want to talk those things here. But certainly we have gone through in last year or two to come to our decision. Thank you."

So, what has actually happened is that the publishers have decided they would rather not have the conversation and backlash about the portrayal of women in their video-game. They haven't quite spelled it out, but, there doesn't seem to be any reasonable conclusion other than that they want to avoid pressure from the types of people who have been convinced by Feminist Frequency. (Unless someone wants to point me at another potential reason they might have made those comments?) 

They did not mention low-sales expectations in the West, etc. While these may be relevant factors, discussing them here is speculative unless you can point to a source from the company. 

Conclusions?

Well, take the company at its word. That's the only source you've got to go on AFAIK. It appears to want to avoid negative publicity.

That statement is complete bullshit and everyone here knows it. If they were so worried about negative press then they never would have released the other Xtreme games in the West - or any of them for that matter. Do you realize how much negative press the series as a whole generates with feminist supporters on a nearly constant basis? Everything from Kasumi's slender frame to Helena's thunder tits is bait to these idiots.

Koei is bullshiting and you fell right for it.

That statement is complete bullshit and everyone here knows it. If they were so worried about negative press then they never would have released the other Xtreme games in the West - or any of them for that matter. Do you realize how much negative press the series as a whole generates with feminist supporters on a nearly constant basis? Everything from Kasumi's slender frame to Helena's thunder tits is bait to these idiots.

I got no idea if they are bullshitting or not, but there is a completely different environment about these things nowadays. I'm downright baffled by some of this shit.

Only reason I'm not posting more here is because I don't want to go all out on politics etc... :S

EDIT:

I will PM you some very recent stuff... may be you change your position on this, at least to "idk"...

Edited by MMDE

DOA Xtreme 2 was released in 2006. These Tumblr "feminists" didn't start their "Games are sexist" bullshit until like 2 years ago. Sure, there have been people complaining forever about this stuff. But only now are they actually being listened to. You have people like Anita, who made the whole thing much bigger than it has ever been. Now everyone with a blog can call themselves a feminist and complain about virtual titties.

You're going to have to point at the specific sentence that you think is bullshit. 

Edit: Oh, sorry, you've changed the font for the statement you were highlighting.

Right then...

I don't see how it's bullshit. They basically said that they didn't want to have to defend themselves against the backlash that would follow in these times. 

AFAIC they seem to be agreeing with you: the radical-neo-feminists have won. They are not bringing their game out because they don't want to have to deal with these people. 

Like @PREDRAG-K said, the last game launched in different times. The neo-feminists are a lot more vocal now. And they don't seem to understand that they can choose not to consume media they don't like, just like we can choose to consume it if we do like. 

Edited by StrickenBiged

I don't see how it's bullshit. They basically said that they didn't want to have to defend themselves against the backlash that would follow in these times. 

AFAIC they seem to be agreeing with you: the radical-neo-feminists have won. They are not bringing their game out because they don't want to have to deal with these people. 

Like @PREDRAG-K said, the last game launched in different times. The neo-feminists are a lot more vocal now. And they don't seem to understand that they can choose not to consume media they don't like, just like we can choose to consume it if we do like. 

I get it, kinda. First small point would be, why be concerned NOW with defending themselves when these is basically what they are known for?

The second point would be that this new environment has yet to stop any other developers from releasing THEIR games that may or may not have "questionable" content. Like someone mentioned very early on, games like Senran Kagura and Onechanbara and various Vita games are still getting released.

Ask yourself this; where were these games when there WEREN'T these supposed neofems running around "everywhere"? Heck, back in in the 2000s, the only way you would ever catch sight of these games would be through importing. Now you have them with steel box special preorders.

Sure, people have never been shy about their grievances about the Extreme series, but the fact of the matter is a significant amount of people just don't care about DOAX. They didn't petition to have it banned, censored, or changed in any ways. TK is looking for reasons not to release it without having to admit to undesirable sales, or looking for a way to create hype without having to import to different regions. 

And I'd say the "neo-feminists" understand voting with their wallets just fine. That means the media in question is left to rely on the niche audience, which means the sales will be nowhere near as good, which leads to developers choosing not to bother, which leads to "SJWs" being blamed for ruining vidya.

• Like 1

I get it, kinda. First small point would be, why be concerned NOW with defending themselves when these is basically what they are known for?

Because the "climate" has changed. Before, you'd only have a few blog posts written about how the content supports the patriarchy. These days, you'd have demonstrations and end up trending on twitter for a few days.

I doubt the kind of people who would protest this game care whether the dev is known for that or not.

The second point would be that this new environment has yet to stop any other developers from releasing THEIR games that may or may not have "questionable" content. Like someone mentioned very early on, games like Senran Kagura and Onechanbara and various Vita games are still getting released.

Good. Those devs and pubs are obviously a shade braver and happy to justify their work if it comes to it. It's down to the publisher at this point. 

Ask yourself this; where were these games when there WEREN'T these supposed neofems running around "everywhere"? Heck, back in in the 2000s, the only way you would ever catch sight of these games would be through importing. Now you have them with steel box special preorders.

The Japanese market for games is taking an ass-whupping from mobile in their home market. I suspect that it has more to do with Japanese pubs looking to the West to try and tap that market in addition to selling it at home.

Sure, people have never been shy about their grievances about the Extreme series, but the fact of the matter is a significant amount of people just don't care about DOAX. They didn't petition to have it banned, censored, or changed in any ways. TK is looking for reasons not to release it without having to admit to undesirable sales, or looking for a way to create hype without having to import to different regions. 

You have to admit that you're speculating on TK's reasons there. They've made a statement. Without evidence to the contrary, you should take them at their word. You may well be correct and we could all be being played. On the other hand, they could be telling it how they see it. 

And I'd say the "neo-feminists" understand voting with their wallets just fine. That means the media in question is left to rely on the niche audience, which means the sales will be nowhere near as good, which leads to developers choosing not to bother, which leads to "SJWs" being blamed for ruining vidya.

I disagree. They regularly start twitter-storms to get their way and have products (not necessarily games) removed from sale for everyone. Just recently, for example, there was an online pharmacy which stopped selling a fleshlight due to a twitter-storm started by these people. It still sells many, many dildos for women. (Masturbatory aids for women are ok, but are not allowed for men?). Point is, some of them "vote" by intimidation and coercion. 

I'm not saying that "SJWs" are to blame in every case. Just that in this case we have every reason to think that they are based on the company's own statements. I actually agree with the SJW's on some of their points - I too would like to see greater diversity in the games available, although that's more to keep things interesting rather than because I feel any particular portrayal is sexist/X-phobic or whatever. 

The second point would be that this new environment has yet to stop any other developers from releasing THEIR games that may or may not have "questionable" content. Like someone mentioned very early on, games like Senran Kagura and Onechanbara and various Vita games are still getting released

Onechanbara is one thing, but Senran Kagura is more anime-like, while DOA is more real-like.