PS3 or PS4 Version

AffectatiousDonk

Hey all, 

I have the PS3 version of Beyond : Two Souls on the shelf but was wondering if I should just get the PS4 version. I only intend to play one version of the game and understand that PS4 version allows you to play the story in order ?  Does this make it easier. I understand this is a pretty average game so will not bother upgrading if not really worth it.

First off, I don't even like QTE heavy games, but I loved this game.  It was really awesome, and I've never seen a review or talked to anyone who said otherwise, so not sure where you heard it was only average.

In terms of playing through in order, that's only AFTER you beat it all the way through and wish to REPLAY in order, so if you only plan to play once, then that won't matter.  Also, part of the game's greatness is playing the events in the order presented.  It's like the movie Memento, if you watched that with the events in the proper order it wouldn't have been half as amazing as it was.

PS3 compared to PS4... well, as a PS3 exclusive it was optimized for PS3 just like Uncharted 2, GT5, and so many others that look absolutely fantastic on the PS3.  So while I'm sure it will look better on PS4, my guess is only marginally so.  Since you already own the PS3 version, I'd say play that instead of spending the money again on a game you have no intention of playing twice.  If you like, or better yet, love the PS3 version, then you can always pick-up the PS4 version down the line to play it again.

Side note: I have a friend who I borrowed the PS3 version from and he plans to get the PS4 version, so I will be playing through the game again on PS4 at some point (need a PS4 first).

Edited by Matto_lsi
  • Like 4

First off, I don't even like QTE heavy games, but I loved this game.  It was really awesome, and I've never seen a review or talked to anyone who said otherwise, so not sure where you heard it was only average.

In terms of playing through in order, that's only AFTER you beat it all the way through and wish to REPLAY in order, so if you only plan to play once, then that won't matter.  Also, part of the game's greatness is playing the events in the order presented.  It's like the movie Memento, if you watched that with the events in the proper order it wouldn't have been half as amazing as it was.

PS3 compared to PS4... well, as a PS3 exclusive it was optimized for PS3 just like Uncharted 2, GT5, and so many others that look absolutely fantastic on the PS3.  So while I'm sure it will look better on PS4, my guess is only marginally so.  Since you already own the PS3 version, I'd say play that instead of spending the money again on a game you have no intention of playing twice.  If you like, or better yet, love the PS3 version, then you can always pick-up the PS4 version down the line to play it again.

Side note: I have a friend who I borrowed the PS3 version from and he plans to get the PS4 version, so I will be playing through the game again on PS4 at some point (need a PS4 first).

PS4 version is currently digital until the bundle comes out with Heavy Rain. 

no 60 fps? wth... why?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that's because it's more "cinematic" in 30FPS ***oooooooh, sparkle sparkle, eyes glaze over, look of enraptured awe on face***

Honestly, I don't know, but this answer wouldn't surprise me knowing Quantic Dreams' aspirations to blend the two different media. 

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/11/19/beyond-two-souls-coming-to-ps4-on-nov-24th-heavy-rain-out-next-year/

Hmm, looks like PS Blog updated the post so yeah, you can play in order.  I think this takes away from the story, but to each their own.  Bottom line is it is possible on PS4, so there ya go.

As some who has actually played both versions, I say get the PS4 version, it looks better. Just one thing though, don't play the story in chronological order for your first time, play it in the original order first. Playing the story in chronological order fucks up the pacing so that certain scenes have less emotional impact that way.

• Like 1

PS4 version is currently digital until the bundle comes out with Heavy Rain. 

I just noticed that this cause you wrote within my quote, lol.  My friend only buys retail discs, and let's me borrow whatever I want even if he hasn't played it yet himself, which is lucky for me.  He also buys everything I'd consider worth buying so I never have to lend him my discs in return :P  He currently has about 30 PS3 games I still want to borrow and his PS4 collection is getting bigger everyday.  I'm sure he'll have this pre-ordered whenever it becomes available as he loved these games the first time around.

• 5 months later...

Just play it on the PS3 version because you'll save your money on paying for anything that has the same content and everything but the only one difference is the graphics

there are actually 2 more differences between the PS3 and PS4 version: in the PS4 version you can now play the game in chronological order, and now after you finish each chapter a screen appears telling the choices that you and other people around the world made in that chapter and what else you could have done (this should have been in the original version imo).

not to mention the many people that didn't had a ps3 last gen so this remaster is a very good way for them to finally play it, without having to also buy an old gen console.

at least in Europe the ps4 version is just at 14.99 euros right now on the PS Store, and the heavy rain and beyond collection is just at 19.99 euros, so if anyone is interested you can pick it before the sale ends.

Edited by smellslikejavier

The game will get very boring and repetitive to play twice. I wouldn't mind buying this game twice, if you haven't played Heavy rain and you get that double pack might be worth it for that if you can sell on this verion if its still shrink wrapped.

I'm not sure if the PS4 version is letter boxed but the letter boxing on the PS3 vesion is kinda annoying. The games not confusing so game order would not matter.

Edited by Superbuu3

there are actually 2 more differences between the PS3 and PS4 version: in the PS4 version you can now play the game in chronological order, and now after you finish each chapter a screen appears telling the choices that you and other people around the world made in that chapter and what else you could have done (this should have been in the original version imo).

not to mention the many people that didn't had a ps3 last gen so this remaster is a very good way for them to finally play it, without having to also buy an old gen console.

at least in Europe the ps4 version is just at 14.99 euros right now on the PS Store, and the heavy rain and beyond collection is just at 19.99 euros, so if anyone is interested you can pick it before the sale ends.

I never knew this, I only played it on PS4 so I didn't know it was more than only graphics but now I know why. Thank you for telling.

• Like 2